Jack109

TN visa

1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What are the sequence of events in case of denial?

If I have been asked to come back with a new support letter has my application been logged / flagged?I was not finger printed,am I in their system as a TN applicant?

Is cross border shopping OK the next time I go?

My job duties are in line with Dept of Labour guidelines, Does NAFTA have different guidelines for mechanical engineers other than DOL?

I went last Friday to Peace Bridge POE as I had my tickets booked for this Monday.Was on the bridge for an hour and waited inside for 5 hours.Then I got called and went to the counter.There were 2 officers.Went through my degrees,equivalency certificate,asked me questions on what I do in my current job and then opened the pandora box.They told me that as a mechanical engineer the only job description / letter of support that was TN eligible was that of a mechanical design engineer.If you are a mechanical engineer working in manufacturing or maintnance then the TN could not be applied against those categories.I told them that I was working in Maintenance in Oil & Gas that needs engineering expetise.They both explained to me unless the job description carried a design engineer job profile a knowledgeble technician could do those jobs (non design engineering oriented).

Then he told me that get a new job description and apply for a fresh TN .I asked him if I have to come back to the same POE.He told me casually" Come back here on Wednesday and I will be here as Tuesday we will be swamped".

I have an MS from US and have had F1,B1/B2,J1,H1 in the past.I never used H1 & J1 though.

The dept of Labour accepts mechanical engineers working in manufacturing and maintenance.Are these guidelines for H1 visas.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

"Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines, and other mechanical devices. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Engineers in this discipline work on power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines. They also work on power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material-handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing. Some mechanical engineers design tools that other engineers need for their work. In addition, mechanical engineers work in manufacturing or agriculture production, maintenance, or technical sales; many become administrators or managers."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.