ScottThuy

America's Best Hot Dog...

64 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does Al Fresco's in Saigon serve hot dogs? I know they have hamburgers. Most of their food only somewhat resembles western food. Their enchiladas are made with flour tortillas, and sprinkled with a little cheese and salsa. They're a little dry, and don't resemble enchiladas I've ever eaten in the US or Mexico. Their hamburgers are overcooked and rubbery - is the cook boiling the meat, or is he the same guy who makes microwave burgers for 7-11? :unsure:

Did you ever have one of those burgers at Lotteria? Not that bad IMO... not a great deal of meat in the patty... seemed to be more soy than beef... I met Mark one night when he was eating mexican food in HCMC, but we had already eaten so we didnt try VN mexican food...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I do know what I am talking about before I speak, this is VIETNAM forum, nothing local about a New England Hot dog place to it. I have also already talked to admins about it, they TOTALLY agreed that this was OFF TOPIC, and should never have been in this forum, but..... The topic has changed and things have been placed in that are about VIETNAM (cultural discussion, local food, travel, ect.) Before you start calling me a cry baby, or thinking I was complaining about your babes business Lucky, read my words, I said I did not really care about this topic, I just simply felt it was way OFF TOPIC, since it was about New England Hot Dogs, and NOTHING to do about Vietnam, Scott later added that he had a friend that was linked to this company. I did like your post about your hair shop, and it did show the progress that your wife has made, and that was very justified to being in this forum. Like me or hate me, I really don't care, I am here to try and help people, and if that means stepping on people's toes in the process, I am all for that. This topic has started to be more Vietnamese specific lately with people asking about where to get a hot dog while in Vietnam.

On a different note, I think it is truly funny that when someone has a complaint or a different view that some people do not agree with how that person becomes the VJ police, and a cry baby, remember people this is a public forum where peoples opinions do matter, and people can and do not always have to agree with one another.

On a final note, there are a few places in back packer area in that do sell hot dogs, I have yet to try one, and maybe it is not the same type of hot dog an American would call a Hot Dog, but they are called that here. I am just not an avid hot dog lover so I have yet to try one. Jerome

i see nothing wrong with this thread being in this forum as it meets the paragraph of "Topics of discussion may include travel, moving, what to eat and any other experience you may wish to share or inquire about. Have fun!"

additionally:

Special Rules

Topics in the Regional Forums area can contain the following (without being moved):

--o General discussion on issues relating to that relevant region

--o Immigration Discussion of topics specific to that region (ex: special embassy procedures, help on finding local doctors, etc)

--o Off Topic Discussion intended to be of interest to the specific regional forum participants (cultural discussion, local food, travel, etc)

link

as this thread concerns an american food, it may be interesting to see how those with spouses from vietnam like or dislike hot dogs. maybe we'll see a burger thread too, who knows?

if you did speak to the admins about it, i'd very much like to know who that was (vj has only one admin - ewok). please advise me via pm as to who you spoke to about this particular thread so i can discuss it with that person(s).

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Damn if I know Jim but I know when I go to the market I better buy Jasmine rice or I think my nuts would be handled to me on a platter.

I know where she is coming from Curtis... anything other than Jasmine rice is as Jim says.. tasteless... I didnt know that one could buy brown jasmine rice...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Does Al Fresco's in Saigon serve hot dogs? I know they have hamburgers. Most of their food only somewhat resembles western food. Their enchiladas are made with flour tortillas, and sprinkled with a little cheese and salsa. They're a little dry, and don't resemble enchiladas I've ever eaten in the US or Mexico. Their hamburgers are overcooked and rubbery - is the cook boiling the meat, or is he the same guy who makes microwave burgers for 7-11? :unsure:

Better be corn tortillas somewhere or we burn the place down.blink.gif

Edited by luckytxn

Timeline

I know where she is coming from Curtis... anything other than Jasmine rice is as Jim says.. tasteless... I didnt know that one could buy brown jasmine rice...

I do too. Unfortunately they have a lot of different brands at the Asian market. My babe had to work and I was chosen to get rice by myself. I asked the name and was just told it was 13.95 a bag. Well OK then. I pretty well knew about what was going to happen but being married to an Asian babe I also knew to just go through the motions and somehow get it done. I get there and of course they have many different brands from the 9 dollar range to the upper 20 dollar range. I expected the problem that there would be several 13.95 price bags and I would just choose one but NO it was not going to be that easy as none were at that price but every other price. I of course called my babe because I am trained that way and told her. She says, "get 13.95," I say that none are at that price and start mentioning the prices and she cuts me off and says to get that bag at that price. OK so I get the manager and ask her (luckily she knows me) and she was no help and couldn't remember one of them ever being that price. I knew better to call as I knew the answer so I grab a 14.95 bag and bought it. There were several at that price so just did the eenie meenie miney moe and got one. I paid and as I left I threw the receipt away knowing that would be my downfall. I get home and right away she said that was a 14.95 bag and not what she asked for. I apologize and knew not to try to explain but did ask her if this would make me number 10 status and she said yes. She also said it looks like she would have to do all the shopping since I didn't know how and on and on about things but by then I was eating and didn't care.

Now is this familar to anyone else here or did I marry a nutcase?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I would love to eat a HotDog while strolling the streets of VN. Is there ANY American Cafes there? C'mon, guys, help a brother out!

id_rather_be_in_vietnam_dog_shirt-p15577740346896626922hfo_400.jpg

The only place I've seen a hot dog here was over in District 7 at an Enlish club. It was actually a polish sausage though. There's a Carl's Jr. down in Vincom Center now. They may have them.

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2010/06/05/carls-jr-in-saigon-vincom-center/

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Did you ever have one of those burgers at Lotteria? Not that bad IMO... not a great deal of meat in the patty... seemed to be more soy than beef... I met Mark one night when he was eating mexican food in HCMC, but we had already eaten so we didnt try VN mexican food...

Their Mexican isn't bad at that place, but I wouldn't recommend flying to Vietnam to try it!

Timeline

I love VN food, but would not sit on a plane for over a day for any food...

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am not sure, I know I havent eaten there, but I do eat at pepperoni's and they are owned by the same people

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

I was wondering if they still have the Der Wienerstitzel on the west coast. They used to have them in Houston when I was young and they had decent hot dogs but left town long ago. Years ago I saw one in LA area and was wondering.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Better be corn tortillas somewhere or we burn the place down.blink.gif

Hey, not so fast! What about Sonora style? They use flour tortillas and use the brown gravy sauce. There's a few restaurants around here that make Sonora enchiladas. If they're done well, they're really great! :thumbs:

I was wondering if they still have the Der Wienerstitzel on the west coast. They used to have them in Houston when I was young and they had decent hot dogs but left town long ago. Years ago I saw one in LA area and was wondering.

Yeah, we still got 'em. They're ok for a fast food hot dog, and their chili isn't bad. For some reason, though, the buns are always mangled. I wonder if the cook isn't wringing them out before stuffing the dogs into them. :blink:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That wienersnitzel I saw looked like it had seen better days too. I was just wondering if they are still around. I saw that one and from the looks of it I thought best to not eat there.

We had a really old one here in town. Probably like the one you saw, with the steep A-frame roof. They tore it down to make room for a new supermarket. I kind of missed it, but a few years later they built a brand new one two blocks from the original location. The new ones don't have the same style building as the old ones. They look pretty much like any other fast food joint. A lot of them also have Foster Freeze soft-serve ice cream, too!

There used to be a chain in SoCal that served hot dogs and tacos. They were called Pup n' Taco. As far as I know, they've all closed down. They were pretty awful. I've had better hot dogs at 7-11.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Wow, I'm a bit late jumping in to this one but in my own personal opinion America's best Hot Dog is made right here in Erie, PA. There is a company here called Smith's and they make the best Hot Dogs and Bologna I have ever tasted anywhere.

Any person I know who has ever left Erie and moved away always ends up calling family from back home and requesting Smith's Hot Dogs to be freezer packed and expressed delivered at least a few times a year. I have had relatives move away and do the same. Heck, one time I drove 34 hours from Erie to San Angelo, Texas and delivered a huge styrofoam box filled with them to my Aunt Meg and Uncle Sonny and my cousins after they called and cried that they could not get a good hot dog in Texas :rofl: (True story by the way).

I know most of you may never know because not so many people long to visit good ole Erie, PA but it's my home and I love it and my Smith's! (Doan loves them too - especially when I fire up the grill and cook them - thats when they are absolutly the best).

I know you should not eat hot dogs raw but these babies are so good I sometimes sneak one before they are even cooked!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.