gbagbo

Insurance and Pregnant Fiancee

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee thinks she might be pregnant but nothing is sure yet. We'll know very shortly. Has anyone here had that happen and how did it affect the visa approval? I guess if we can prove it's my baby it should not be a problem.

In your experience, how difficult was it to add your fiancee/wife to your insurance with a "pre existing" condition? (doesn't Obama's new health care system prevent insurance companies from denying coverage to someone like that?)

I was thinking it might be better for her to just have the baby in Thailand. They have good care over there and then the baby just flies back with her on a US passport (birth abroad certificate)........

I really hope she's not pregnant.......

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

05/11/2010 - NVC Sent Case to Embassy

05/12/2010 - Embassy Received

06/17/2010 - Packet 3 received (1st one lost in the mail)

06/30/2010 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

07/02/2010 - Embassy received Packet 3

08/20/2010 - Packet 4 and Interview Date received

09/14/2010 - Interview.....Approved

09/21/2010 - Visa received

12/27/2010 - Entry into the USA. POE Los Angeles

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

many employers have policies that cover pre-existing conditions. check with your HR office. however, adding an alien spouse may take awhile; without a Social Security number, or a TIN, the insurers can be difficult.

being pregnant should not affect the visa process; happens all the time.

Edited by Old Dominion

The Obama Healthcare Bill hasn't taken affect yet. The first sets of new rules will go into affect in October.

You need to get her SSN very quickly when she gets in so that your insurance will accept her. About 2 weeks after she gets in, take her with her Passport, birth certificate, and I-94 to the SSA office, it'll take you a week to ten days to get it in the mail. If you go any sooner than this, you run the risk of her POE not being updated into their system yet, at which point they'd have to do a manual verification, and that can sometimes take a month or more. If you get there and they can't find her in the system yet, it's best to just check back and apply when they do.

Congrats on the news! And good luck!!

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

A baby's a blessing, you'll figure things out somehow! Congratulations and good luck on your visa journey!

Edited by Sunshine13

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee thinks she might be pregnant but nothing is sure yet. We'll know very shortly. Has anyone here had that happen and how did it affect the visa approval? I guess if we can prove it's my baby it should not be a problem.

In your experience, how difficult was it to add your fiancee/wife to your insurance with a "pre existing" condition? (doesn't Obama's new health care system prevent insurance companies from denying coverage to someone like that?)

I was thinking it might be better for her to just have the baby in Thailand. They have good care over there and then the baby just flies back with her on a US passport (birth abroad certificate)........

Since the enactment of HIPAA, pregnancy is no longer a pre-existing condition

Not a K-1 visa general discussion topic... moving thread

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I work for a health insurance agency and HIPPA only applies to non-underwritten employer contract insurance. Check with your employer to see if your group health insurance is not underwritten if not then she will not be under preexisting condition for pregnancy. Generally underwritten groups are small companies who have opt out of HIPPA or those health insurance companies which sell health insurance plans that you buy that are not though your employer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think this would be an option.. From your timeline, it looks like the consulate already has your packet, meaning you'll interview in the next 4-6 weeks (unless the consulate in Thailand has a backlog I'm unaware of). If she only thinks she's pregnant now, she can't be that far along, and if you're approved for a visa within the next month, it will only leave her 6 months to use her visa, and she wouldnt be due for another month or two after the 6 months is up. Also, the processing time for acquiring a birth abroad certificate can be 3 weeks or more..

Good luck with your journey, and congrats on your possible blessing :)

Hi,

Can't add Fiance to your insurance but you can add your child as soon as that kid is born.

Adding my wife to my insurance was easy, I just had to send in my marriage certificate. If my wife needs any medical treatment she pays for it and she sends me the receipt from the doctors office and my insurance will reimburse us the cost. You will have to talk to your insurance provider to see it they will do this for you. Good luck.

As far as your kid, once the kid is born just register that kid as a child of an American citizen with the US embassy in Thailand and that should take care of it.

Timeline

Thanks for the help everyone, it was a false alarm :)

Good to know though, in case it were to happen.....

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

Timeline

I took 5 home preg tests, all were false.

And you can check my ticker!

wow, 5 times? For us she took 3 and then her period finally came.

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.