arwilson80

Round-up of yesterday - Visa in Administrative Processing!

59 posts in this topic

People aren't very well versed in how AP occurs. Many don't know the records checked by DOS. Or why.

There's quite a lot of bigotry involved in some of the questions asked of you.

Just as those comments toward you were unreasonable, I would call it unreasonable to assume that "a significant proportion of the population were either directly involved, or related to someone who was" involved in the Troubles. It was actually a sliver of the population who were responsible for those atrocities. There WAS and REMAINS a significant proportion of the population who was touched by the violence, but that is far different than having been a perpetrator.

Well, there was no bigotry intended in my question to arwilson, and if he was in any way offended, I apologise to him. I in no way assumed or insinuated that he, or another other person on VJ, was in any way involved. To pretend that there isn't the tiniest possibility that his name might match or be similar to someone that was, or the relative of someone that was, is naive. As it is the DHS that determines who it considers a risk, and there is/are Irish paramilitaries on there, it is only logical to deduce that is one of the avenues they follow. I have spent the last 16 weeks researching AP, and I'm pretty good at finding things if I do say so myself.

I was not offended when I was asked if I were naturalized or from a certain part of the world originally. I understand why people might ask that, and whereas I think it unfortunate, I do not think it racist or prejudiced. It is a fact (gleaned from the subset of people that post on VJ) that females from certain parts of the world are put in AP somewhat regularly, in other parts it's men, and in some neither, for all kinds of reasons that one can only guess at. Myself, and fellow VJ-ers who are also in AP for no 'obvious' reason, feel that we wish we knew why, as it would make the wait that little bit easier. For obvious reasons, from the mundane to the serious, we're not.

PS - it depends on how one defines significant. It does not necessarily mean a large proportion, and it can almost certainly mean a small percentage. What you and I think is immaterial. It is what DOS/DHS think that matters.

When I've asked those types of questions it's been a matter of wondering what DOS could possibly use to flag people they put in AP. Several of us were aware of specific cases at the London as well as other consulates which made us think that maybe people with ties to certain countries could be put into lengthy AP processes.

I think it is silly that so many VJers get put into AP. There are several that have passed the medical with flying colors AND proved they have no criminal records yet they still end up in AP. I understand that this process will catch a few people that want to get into the country with very bad intentions. With that logic I can understand that AP is necessary even if it is overly used.

I know it is unfair and hard to go through. The good part is that when you do finally get settled into your new life in the US it can always be said that you passed x amount of months of security checks to get where you are. :luv:

As I said in my previous post, although it's unfortunate that those questions are asked, I don't think it is unreasonable. I was not offended, why should I be? I have nothing to fear from AP - and although it is frustrating I don't worry that it'll ruin my marriage as some people think AP is used for. I think every country has a right and a duty to screen immigrants for every possible risk, and as you say, when I do eventually get there it'll be in the knowledge that I have passed all the checks there are, in order that I, along with my husband, family and friends, live in the safest possible society. I would be disappointed if that were NOT the case.

I just wish that it were a little quicker :)

Edited by treehugger

The explanation for that would be that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is a separate body apart from that on the mainland.

PSNI falls under ACPO same as any other police service does in England/Wales/NI. ACPOS covers Scotland.

ACRO, set up by ACPO is a co-ordinating unit that works UK wide, so includes Scotland.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

The explanation for that would be that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is a separate body apart from that on the mainland.

Actually, you should remember that there are several police forces on the mainland - the PSNI is no different from any of the others covered by ACPO, as can be seen from the list below.

http://www.police.uk/forces.htm

PSNI falls under ACPO same as any other police service does in England/Wales/NI. ACPOS covers Scotland.

ACRO, set up by ACPO is a co-ordinating unit that works UK wide, so includes Scotland.

Here's a link for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8201503.stm

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Well, there was no bigotry intended in my question to arwilson, and if he was in any way offended, I apologise to him. I in no way assumed or insinuated that he, or another other person on VJ, was in any way involved. To pretend that there isn't the tiniest possibility that his name might match or be similar to someone that was, or the relative of someone that was, is naive. As it is the DHS that determines who it considers a risk, and there is/are Irish paramilitaries on there, it is only logical to deduce that is one of the avenues they follow. I have spent the last 16 weeks researching AP, and I'm pretty good at finding things if I do say so myself.

I was not offended when I was asked if I were naturalized or from a certain part of the world originally. I understand why people might ask that, and whereas I think it unfortunate, I do not think it racist or prejudiced. It is a fact (gleaned from the subset of people that post on VJ) that females from certain parts of the world are put in AP somewhat regularly, in other parts it's men, and in some neither, for all kinds of reasons that one can only guess at. Myself, and fellow VJ-ers who are also in AP for no 'obvious' reason, feel that we wish we knew why, as it would make the wait that little bit easier. For obvious reasons, from the mundane to the serious, we're not.

PS - it depends on how one defines significant. It does not necessarily mean a large proportion, and it can almost certainly mean a small percentage. What you and I think is immaterial. It is what DOS/DHS think that matters.

It's been a long time since I've worked on security clearance information. But there are several specific clearances that are run during AP(four I believe) and some of these are run on a person based upon their occupation.

Persons who travel frequently, and those who have visited certain countries, are also subjected to scrutiny.

It's been a long time since I've worked on security clearance information. But there are several specific clearances that are run during AP(four I believe) and some of these are run on a person based upon their occupation.

Persons who travel frequently, and those who have visited certain countries, are also subjected to scrutiny.

Yes, I knew all that thank you. If those that visit certain countries are subject to scrutiny, how about those who live in certain countries, eg NI?

As for myself, my occupation is not a consideration, I rarely travel, and yes, I lived in a certain part of the world as a child. Not that unusual - we were part of a very large expat community, and most of my former classmates are now living and working in the US, as citizens no less.

Yes, I knew all that thank you. If those that visit certain countries are subject to scrutiny, how about those who live in certain countries, eg NI?

As for myself, my occupation is not a consideration, I rarely travel, and yes, I lived in a certain part of the world as a child. Not that unusual - we were part of a very large expat community, and most of my former classmates are now living and working in the US, as citizens no less.

I don't quite get what you are driving at.

Suffice it to say I've seen many, many immigrate from the North to the US and never seen any excess scrutiny applied towards this population specifically as a derivative of the Troubles. I knew of a woman whose maiden name was McGuinness whose stateside adjustment of status went into a lengthy delay. Otherwise, it's been a non-issue.

If it's a simple name hit - it can be cleared up in a matter of weeks. If there is further review required - then it may take longer. Try not to stress about it, although that can be a difficult task. My best suggestion would be to follow up weekly (ie: once a week) just to keep tabs - but try not to obsess over something that is out of your hands and probably just a few weeks delay. Good luck!

Edited by LaL

If it's a simple name hit - it can be cleared up in a matter of weeks. If there is further review required - then it may take longer. Try not to stress about it, although that can be a difficult task. My best suggestion would be to follow up weekly (ie: once a week) just to keep tabs - but try not to obsess over something that is out of your hands and probably just a few weeks delay. Good luck!

Thanks :) With my username, would you be surprised if I said I loved your little treehugger? :P

Not entirely sure of the relevance of the link, but the content doesn't surprise me at all. ACPO runs the background checks for immigration to the US and it does it for all areas of the UK, hence you only need one report from them. I am not aware that any other agency would run a check on you inside the UK for immigration purposes, though I am not familiar with the process of going into AP in the UK.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Not entirely sure of the relevance of the link, but the content doesn't surprise me at all. ACPO runs the background checks for immigration to the US and it does it for all areas of the UK, hence you only need one report from them. I am not aware that any other agency would run a check on you inside the UK for immigration purposes, though I am not familiar with the process of going into AP in the UK.

The PSNI keeps records that have not yet been linked to other systems. The article states such.

Hence the reason for persons who ever lived in NI to designate it on their request for a police record through ACPO. ACPO will need to check records DIRECTLY with the PSNI rather than simply draw on whatever they have in their databases.

Believe me, the PSNI knew who the 'baddies' were. And are today.

Just for the conversation, here's a very simplistic guide to some of what DOS does.

I know for certain that Visa Mantis and Visa Condor are utilized during K1 AP clearance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Advisory_Opinion

"There are various types of SAOs, usually named after various animals, with two named after legendary characters. As of August 2006, these included Visas Mantis (potential illegal transfer of sensitive or dual-use technology,[7] introduced in 1998[8]), Visas Bear (for foreign government officials, representatives to international organizations, and their families), Visas Donkey (name hits, certain nationalities), Visas Merlin (for refugees and asylees), Visas Eagle (certain nationals of Cuba, China, Iran, Russia, and Vietnam), Visas Condor (certain nationalities, introduced in January 2002[9]), and Visas Hawk (for immigrant visas). There are also other types of SAOs used for notifying the Department of State about visa issuance and that the applicant will be traveling to the United States: Visas Horse (diplomatic visa holders of certain nationalities) and Visas Pegasus (officials of Commonwealth of Independent States).[1]"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.