TucsonBill

To those of you griping about IMBRA

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
That is a terrible thing to do to anybody. He must be an idiot. There are plenty of women in this country with their legs wide open, why bother petitioning and temporarily destroying someones life?

oh that's a nice thing to say about american women........ :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

lost in the woods,

Indeed you are. There are far more than 1 bad apple. Here's a recent example from LA of an all too common situation around the country:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.visa.us...6537e94eaa68cf1

Note that the fraud ring was caught because USCIS employees gradually noticed some of the same petitioners submitting multiple petitions - one of the activities that IMBRA targets.

Yodrak

i'm going to be bluntly honest about the original poster.

Too bad.

you have demonstrated one malicious individual who abuses a system, that individual has not been punished.

tens of thousands of honest people who try to do it the right way are being punished because of one bad apple.

That is a terrible thing to do to anybody. He must be an idiot. There are plenty of women in this country with their legs wide open, why bother petitioning and temporarily destroying someones life?

I hear ya on that. It's bad enough some of our foreign women live in har enough conditions, why would anyone want to make it any worse for them?!?! Destroying them temporarily? For someone to do that to a foreign woman, that is not only permanently scarred but most embarassing (to say the very least), especially to their families.

I won't lie, I dislike IMBRA but I am glad it's there to protect those who would be or have been victims. I just wish they would have planned the implementation much better and considered the effects of their process much more closely. Maybe, MAYBE, things would have been a lot smoother.

??Jul 2005 - we met online

28 Jul 2005 - our relationship "officially" started (we chatted almost every single night!)

4 Feb 2006 - I flew over to see her for her birthday and Valentine's Day

7 Mar 2006 - I-129F sent

9 Mar 2006 - petition received

14 Mar 2006 - petition opened

16 Mar 2006 - NOA1 sent (nothing heard since)

23 Jun 2006 - IMBRA RFE sent

6 Jul 2006 - IMBRA RFE reply sent

18 Jul 2006 - RFE reply recieved

19 Jul 2006 - touched

24 Aug 2006 - finally got bloody touched!!! (they responded to my RFE)

31 Aug 2006 - touched

1 Sep 2006 - NOA2! nuf said!!! (178 days)

5 Sep 2006 - touched? after already getting NOA2?

7 Sep 2006 - touched yet again...must be the mailing process

22 Sep 2006 - Case left NVC

26 Sep 2006 - Case arrived in Manila Embassy

7 Dec 2006 - Appointment letter sent

13 Dec 2006 - received Appt letter

21 Dec 2006 - St Luke's Medical appointment

28 Dec 2006 - Visa interview appointment (APPROVED!!!)

11 Jan 2007 - VISA ON HAND!!!! YEA YEA!!!!

17 Mar 2007 - First step into US soil (SFO)

28 Mar 2007 - Civil wedding at SF City Hall!

Adjustment of Status

16 May 2007 - finally mailed off AOS/EAD package

18 May 2007 - AOS/EAD received

22 May 2007 - AOS/EAD notice sent

25 May 2007 - status update on USCIS website

19 Jun 2007 - Biometrics Appointment in Sacramento

20 Jun 2007 - touched

26 Jun 2007 - touched

25 Jul 2007 - AOS touched

1 Aug 2007 - EAD approved. USCIS ordered production of new card

13 Aug 2007 - AOS interview (APPROVED!!!)

i'm going to be bluntly honest about the original poster.

Too bad.

you have demonstrated one malicious individual who abuses a system, that individual has not been punished.

tens of thousands of honest people who try to do it the right way are being punished because of one bad apple.

That is what we have fallen to as a society but it's not acceptable, you cannot punish everyone for the acts of an individual and you cannot punish everyone to try to protect one or two random people from doing something stupid. That last part is a direct reference to the high profile case that inspired this law.

The change is immoral, the way this country sometimes over reacts with far reaching consequences to honest citizens trying to make their way in the world and do things the right way is also totally wrong.

bad things sometimes happen to good people for no reason and the government has no business trying to legislate their protection.

Wow, what an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint. I suppose since Murder only occurs to 1 out of 15000 people each year, that the government should just get rid of the laws prohibiting that too? How about Drunk Driving? Robbery? The list goes on and on. If there is one isolated event...no law is needed...I agree. But you have to look at the scale of the number of events, and the impact those events has on people's lives. The circumstances the OP listed are not isolated events...but rather a single sampling in a large number of documented abuses of the prior system. The girls that the "business associate" used got off lucky...many of them wind up physically abused before being kicked to the curb. Being sent back to their home country, often without a pot to piss in, is considered a fantastic outcome compared to how many of them wound up. I'm sorry that adding a measure of "complete disclosure" in order to protect foreign nationals who are literally putting their lives into the hands of these USC's upsets you. But the way I see it...if it's good enough for the Real Estate industry, then it should be good enough for immigration.

It sucks that the USCIS has dropped the ball on implementing the program (DHS failing at something? Surprise Surprise)....but the rationale behind the legislation is both sound and over-due.

What's real estate got to do with filing multiple K-1 petitions? LOL!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all,

I agree we have to protect the woman/men who are brought into the USA, BUT...

The processes of IMBRA was badly planned. USCIS can do a background check on the petioner without exposing criminal records of US citizens to the world. If someone have had been abusive in the past, DENY HIS/HER VISA!

Then, do not treat men who wants to bring their loved ones into the US like sex offenders, because IMBRA does exactly that!

Restricting who we choose to marry is rediculous. It is like something from the cold war :-) If we are trying to "protect" what are we doing on the homefront to prevent the same abuse of hapening? Nothing!

Anyway, the intent of IMBRA has merit, but how USCIS and JOD implemented it, was horrable!... and still is.

It is Un-American, Un-constitutional... it is simply bad and wrong!

Find a better way of doing it!

04/02/2006 -- Mailed Petition

04/13/2006 -- NOA 1 Received Date

04/19/2006 -- NOA 1 Notice Date

06/23/2006 -- NOA IMBRA Notice Date

06/26/2006 -- NOA IMBRA Received

06/29/2006 -- NOA IMBRA Send Back

07/12/2006 -- Email Confirming RFE for IMBRA

08/16/2006 -- Touched

08/17/2006 -- APPROVED!!!! NOA2

09/05/2006 -- NVC Receipt

11/08/2006 -- VISA Received in Kiev!

12/23/2006 -- Entered the US (no problems)

-----------

01/19/2007 -- Married !!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Then, do not treat men who wants to bring their loved ones into the US like sex offenders, because IMBRA does exactly that!

Restricting who we choose to marry is rediculous.

I confess I haven't been watching the IMBRA details too closely of late. In what way are US men being treated like sex offenders? In my state, sex offenders are locked up, or if they're done with that, their names & addresses are posted on a website.

And just a pet peeve of mine, no one is restricting who you choose to marry. The restriction is on who is allowed to immigrate into the US, something that affects your entire community.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
this must be you :angry:

Jayzeus, shon, what's wrong with you? Keep your personal attacks to PM why don't you? Are you going to defend the honor of every US citizen/resident woman? You deny the truth in icey's comment? I don't. I also don't take it as including myself. Why, did you?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

i stand by my comments.

the person who compaired it to making murder legal has made my point for me.

they did not make it a crime to abuse the system.

the appropriate response is to create a law where it is a crime to do what the man in the original example did, it is somewhat akin to fraud.

this was not done, instead it is an attempt to prevent the situation from happening.

a noble enough idea, but it cannot work, you cannot protect people by passing a law, it has never worked.

all you can do is create a crime and punish people, in so doing you can also discourage such abuses.

there is no law that can be passed that will ever prevent someone from doing something wrong.

if that was possible then there would be no murders, murder is illegal and it happens all the time.

all we can do is punish the offenders, or in this case punish the honest because we reacted as a nation and were too short sighted to realize the limits of our ability and athority.

the man in the example has not been punished, if he does it again there is no crime he has committed and no jail sentence for him.

at the same times tens of thousands of honest people who do the right thing, the right way for the right reasons pay the price.

what has been accomplished here is that the innocent have been punished for no good reason, the entire process is discouraged.

i would say that the number of people who do not understand what i am saying and think i'm being short sighted is a very large part of what is wrong with society in general and the system in america in total.

Hi all,

I agree we have to protect the woman/men who are brought into the USA, BUT...

The processes of IMBRA was badly planned. USCIS can do a background check on the petioner without exposing criminal records of US citizens to the world. If someone have had been abusive in the past, DENY HIS/HER VISA!

Restricting who we choose to marry is rediculous. It is like something from the cold war :-) If we are trying to "protect" what are we doing on the homefront to prevent the same abuse of hapening? Nothing!

Anyway, the intent of IMBRA has merit, but how USCIS and JOD implemented it, was horrable!... and still is.

It is Un-American, Un-constitutional... it is simply bad and wrong!

Find a better way of doing it!

Personally, I can't quite fathom the reason for all of the objections after implementing IMBRA. So it adds a couple of weeks, or possibly months to the process! Is that so critical? I know that waiting is difficult, but it's just a consequence of trying to ensure safe immigration for all, as a result of the acts of others. I look at this extra step as somewhat similar to attempts to stamp out drunk driving or enforce seat-belt use. We're all affacted, even if we are not the offenders. Sure, it takes a couple more seconds every time anyone gets in his/her vehicle before they can pull away, and it limts the number of drinks everyone should have before calling it a night, but it's for everyone's safety, when all is said and done.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

the compairison to seat belt laws is accurate.

those are also intrusive, an attempt to protect someone from their own action or choice.

the problem with this law, and it's situation is that it will not protect these women, it will not be effective.

we'll see in a year, but i will bet that the fraud rings will continue, the abuses will continue.

I do not think there is any chance the law will work because it does not address the problem, this law was enacted as a bad solution to a real and serious problem.

but the one high profile case was not part of a fraud ring and many people have drawn conclusions from it, incorrect conclusions.

EDIT:

this law is similar to requiring every car in the country to be retrofitted with a breath testing machine to see if you've been drinking.

if that is a good idea in your mind then ok, you're for this law and that's ok

i'm for writing laws that make sense, accomplish something but do not intrude on liberty, freedom and the right to make choices for ones self.

i am against seat belt laws, but i have used one every time i am in a car since long before there were seat belt laws.

i don't care if someone makes a bad choice, they should be allowed to choose.

creating a law and system to agressively stamp out fraud is a good idea, that is not the purpose of this law.

this law has one purpose, to discourage legal immigration.

Edited by lost in the woods

this must be you :angry:

Jayzeus, shon, what's wrong with you? Keep your personal attacks to PM why don't you? Are you going to defend the honor of every US citizen/resident woman? You deny the truth in icey's comment? I don't. I also don't take it as including myself. Why, did you?

it was directed at you too..I did not personally attack anyone! :angry:

Edited by babybunny
shon.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

diadromous mermaid

"Personally, I can't quite fathom the reason for all of the objections after implementing IMBRA. So it adds a couple of weeks, or possibly months to the process! Is that so critical? I know that waiting is difficult, but it's just a consequence of trying to ensure safe immigration for all, as a result of the acts of others. I look at this extra step as somewhat similar to attempts to stamp out drunk driving or enforce seat-belt use. We're all affacted, even if we are not the offenders. Sure, it takes a couple more seconds every time anyone gets in his/her vehicle before they can pull away, and it limts the number of drinks everyone should have before calling it a night, but it's for everyone's safety, when all is said and done."

The comparison of "seconds" for putting on your seatbelt and waiting for "months" is a very significant difference. Being one of the recalled petitons has made it very obvious to me that the agencies involved in implementing IMBRA were totally unprepared.

That being said, I agree with the philosophy behind the law, I just disagree with how it was rolled out initially. As for the rest of the details behind the law, I don't care at this point, I just want to get the K1 process done. If someone is trying to abuse the system, hopefully the new law will make it harder for them, maybe not. It's been debated continuosly.

Edited by Lewis

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I recall reading that USCIS is being investigated for allowing visas for a good number of people who shouldn't have been given visas. Seems like they need to get their act together in the basic immigration process before they add more layers of complexity to the system. Refine what you've got before you add on more cr*p...

Dan & Sheryl (Twin Cities, MN and Calgary, AB Canada)

Feb 29 2004 - Met on LiveJournal.com

July 25 2005 - Things start to get 'romantic'

Nov 11 2005 - Met in person

Dec 31 2005 - Engaged

March 6 2006 - I-129F sent

March 9 2006 - I-129F NOA1

June 10 Case Transfered to CSC - assured by USCIS that NOA1 date would be honored

July 3 2006 - IMBRA RFE in the mail

July 5 2006 - RFE sent with extra evidence (plane tickets, receipts, letters, emails, photos)

July 10 2006 - RFE received

Aug 8 2006 - Congressional inquiry - told 129F cases are processed based on IMBRA RFE

Sept 20 2006 - Called DHS - Was told another RFE was sent three weeks ago

Sept 21 2006 - Local USCIS office claims RFE is a request for 'initial' evidence - RFE must be lost or was never actually sent.

Sept 22 2006 - Congressional inquiry #2- told "We are working on your case, please allow 60 days" ARGGHH

Sept 26 2006 - 6 touches from all my investigating

Oct 16 2006 - Finally received the RFE that's been holding up our case. It's the IMBRA RFE that we already sent in and was verified received!

Oct 17 2006 - Senator Mark Dayton's office finally gets USCIS to pull out petition for special processing.

Oct 24 2006 - FINALLY APPROVED!

Jan 18 2007 - Interview in Vancouver / K-1 received

Jan 23 2007 - Sheryl enters the US with me

Feb 17 2007 - Wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.