Tahoma

Notice to all K-1 fiancée visa applicants

22 posts in this topic

Filling out the DS-160 was a pain in the b*tt. The internet connection kept on shutting down and it was impossible to save. Then after we finished printing the confirmation receipt, I got an email response from the Manila embassy saying that the DS-156, 156K , 157 forms are to be used for K1 applicants. Not the DS-160!!! Great ,just wasted all that time and effort. I was just following the VJ posts on these forums to use DS 160 only to get wrong info

I'll bet that was frustrating! :angry: Thanks for sharing your experience. It's is further proof that K-1ers don't need the DS-160.

To everyone one this thread, thanks for ALL your input/responses. Especially to soon2wed for providing the "first hand" information during the recent visa interview visit. I guess it's safe to say that the DS-156, 156K, 157 forms are still the "golden papers". Even after reading everyone's replies, I'll still have my fiancee complete a DS-160 just for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry. Anyways, good luck to everyone still in process. :thumbs:

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To everyone one this thread, thanks for ALL your input/responses. Especially to soon2wed for providing the "first hand" information during the recent visa interview visit. I guess it's safe to say that the DS-156, 156K, 157 forms are still the "golden papers". Even after reading everyone's replies, I'll still have my fiancee complete a DS-160 just for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry. Anyways, good luck to everyone still in process. :thumbs:

Glad to be of help. :) Goodluck to all those who are about to have their interview. Just relax and the key is to be prepared with all of your documents and everything will be a breeze.

In case you have not heard the news...

On May 24, 2010, the new DS-160 form replaced all DS-156/DS-157/DS-158 forms.

To read about this change on the USEM web site, please click here.

It is best to check the US Embassy web site for the country in which your K1 will be processed for their requirements.

For a July interview in Moscow, Olga's Packet 3/4 contained DS-156 and DS-230 forms. I do not think she received the DS-156K, but the web site indicates it is required, so we will have a copy of that prepared.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for all the information! My fiance and I were actually going back and forth yesterday about the DS-160 but then he stumbled across this thread and that ended our discussion. lol. I have a question though, does the CO ask for pay stubs and bank payments or will a letter of employment suffice? My fiance landed a job in late December so his tax returns don't meet the guidelines. We have a co-sponsor for back up. (We're hoping that we won't need it but just in case we do, fingers crossed that the CO will consider it.)

Thanks!

Toni

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

does the CO ask for pay stubs and bank payments or will a letter of employment suffice? My fiance landed a job in late December so his tax returns don't meet the guidelines. We have a co-sponsor for back up.

If I were in your shoes, I would submit the following:

> 2007-2009 income tax returns

> 2007-2009 W-2 forms

> 2007-2009 income tax transcripts

> Paycheck stubs from 1-1-10 to the present

> Employer's letter

> Recent bank statement

> Letter outlining education, etc

> Co-sponsor's I-134

If the petitioner's income is flirting with the minimum, or below it, both the petitioner and the beneficiary need to build as strong of a financial case as possible.

The consul officer will likely put more weight on the petitioner's current income, and that's why the petitioner should submit so many paycheck stubs.

There are other factors for both the petitioner and the beneficiary as well, such as the their education, their employment potential, etc. The consul officer wants to ensure that the beneficiary won't become a public charge. That being said, you need to prepare all of your documents like there is no tomorrow. Why don't you also prepare a short letter about both of you, outlining your education, special skills, and that sort of thing. Don't give them a reason to deny you.

Please don't put all of your eggs in one basket by counting on your co-sponsor's I-134. The consul officer may ignore it. Build your financial case accordingly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks a lot! I'll take note of that and inform my fiance so he can mail all the documents to me. Composing such a letter is a brilliant suggestion. good.gif Thanks! I'll do just that because I have no intention to be of public charge. I'll act on this as early as tomorrow so I won't have too much idle time on my hands until the interview date. Thanks again! You've been incredibly helpful.

Toni

If I were in your shoes, I would submit the following:

> 2007-2009 income tax returns

> 2007-2009 W-2 forms

> 2007-2009 income tax transcripts

> Paycheck stubs from 1-1-10 to the present

> Employer's letter

> Recent bank statement

> Letter outlining education, etc

> Co-sponsor's I-134

If the petitioner's income is flirting with the minimum, or below it, both the petitioner and the beneficiary need to build as strong of a financial case as possible.

The consul officer will likely put more weight on the petitioner's current income, and that's why the petitioner should submit so many paycheck stubs.

There are other factors for both the petitioner and the beneficiary as well, such as the their education, their employment potential, etc. The consul officer wants to ensure that the beneficiary won't become a public charge. That being said, you need to prepare all of your documents like there is no tomorrow. Why don't you also prepare a short letter about both of you, outlining your education, special skills, and that sort of thing. Don't give them a reason to deny you.

Please don't put all of your eggs in one basket by counting on your co-sponsor's I-134. The consul officer may ignore it. Build your financial case accordingly.

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.