Tahoma

Notice to all K-1 fiancée visa applicants

22 posts in this topic

In case you have not heard the news...

On May 24, 2010, the new DS-160 form replaced all DS-156/DS-157/DS-158 forms.

To read about this change on the USEM web site, please click here.

In case you have not heard the news...

On May 24, 2010, the new DS-160 form replaced all DS-156/DS-157/DS-158 forms.

To read about this change on the USEM web site, please click here.

Hi Tohoma. This is the same thing I read on the their site. I posted about this earlier so hopefully those who have their NOA2 approved and having their fiancees prepping for their interview can really verify this for us....If this is really true, 1 form instead of 3 will be alot less headache.....Look forward to the replies!

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

This is from the DoS website frequently asked questions posted yesterday 6/11/2010

Also - it is recommended that you follow the consulate specific instructions provided with the packet very closely as this still and for some time will remain a very confusing issue!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

This is from the DoS website frequently asked questions posted yesterday 6/11/2010

Also - it is recommended that you follow the consulate specific instructions provided with the packet very closely as this still and for some time will remain a very confusing issue!

Thanks for this information, Bernie C. I found it on the Department of State web site and I will print the question and the entire answer below:

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

It is important to check the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply for your nonimmigrant visa for information on the application process in place. Embassies and consulates worldwide will transition one-by-one to the DS-160. Therefore, those Embassies which have not yet converted to the new DS-160 online form continue to require all application forms, as necessary.

This information seems to conflict with the information on the USEM web site. The USEM web site leads me to believe that all K-1 visa beneficiaries are required to use the new DS-160 form instead of the DS-156 and DS-157 forms.

Hi Tohoma. This is the same thing I read on the their site. I posted about this earlier so hopefully those who have their NOA2 approved and having their fiancees prepping for their interview can really verify this for us....If this is really true, 1 form instead of 3 will be alot less headache.....Look forward to the replies!

I hope more K-1ers chime in with their experience. This might be the only way we will know for sure whether or not the USEM is truly using the new DS-160 in place of the old forms.

our interview was may 27th and they told us to NOT use the ds-160... confusing.

confusing...thanks for sharing your experience. Did you call the USEM before your interview for an answer to this question?

Hmmm...Where the USEM web site talks about the new DS-160, it links you right back to the FAQs page of the Department of State web site...the same page which Bernie C pointed out. From the Department of State FAQs page, it says that K-1 visa applicants are an exception to the new rule. K-1 visa applicants must still use the DS-156 / DS-156K / DS-157 forms...and not the new DS-160.

Hmmm...Where the USEM web site talks about the new DS-160, it links you right back to the FAQs page of the Department of State web site...the same page which Bernie C pointed out. From the Department of State FAQs page, it says that K-1 visa applicants are an exception to the new rule. K-1 visa applicants must still use the DS-156 / DS-156K / DS-157 forms...and not the new DS-160.

Let the confusion begin. LOL! Seriously, this is not clear whatsoever. The only certain is the increase for the Visa Interview (K1 is $350). Other than that, it's nothing but conflicting information. I really hope any new NOA2's ESPECIALLY THE JUNE applicants will post their findings ASAP. At this point, you might as well fill out ALL 4 FORMS just to be safe....

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

Let the confusion begin. LOL! Seriously, this is not clear whatsoever. The only certain is the increase for the Visa Interview (K1 is $350). Other than that, it's nothing but conflicting information. I really hope any new NOA2's ESPECIALLY THE JUNE applicants will post their findings ASAP. At this point, you might as well fill out ALL 4 FORMS just to be safe....

Hi again BB & MJ...

I think you made the same mistake that I made...we both kept missing the "with a few exceptions" language when reading about the new DS-160. The K-1 "exception" is clearly spelled out on FAQ #13 of the DOS web site. I'm convinced that K-1ers do not use the DS-160.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope more K-1ers chime in with their experience. This might be the only way we will know for sure whether or not the USEM is truly using the new DS-160 in place of the old forms.

confusing...thanks for sharing your experience. Did you call the USEM before your interview for an answer to this question?

yeah... i called them before and asked this exact question because the interview scheduled email they sent made it seem like they wanted the ds-160.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had my interview last June 3 and they did not ask for DS 160. They even had a sign on the counter where you submit your forms that for K1 visa applicants, DS 156, 156K and 157 are to be submitted. When you arrive at the embassy for your interview there are a lot of vendors who will tell you that you need DS 160 for K1, do not believe them. They are just trying to make money because they will convince you to have your DS 160 downloaded and printed with them. One applicant did that and she paid 650 for doing so, only to find out that she doesn't need it after all. If you want you can bring one copy of DS 160 for your peace of mind. But it is just a waste of time and effort. There were a lot of applicant who just brought DS 160 during the interview and they ended up cramming to fill out old forms in the embassy. Good luck!

yeah... i called them before and asked this exact question because the interview scheduled email they sent made it seem like they wanted the ds-160.

Wow...even their email made it seem like they wanted the DS-160. It's a good thing you called the USEM first.

I had my interview last June 3 and they did not ask for DS 160. They even had a sign on the counter where you submit your forms that for K1 visa applicants, DS 156, 156K and 157 are to be submitted. When you arrive at the embassy for your interview there are a lot of vendors who will tell you that you need DS 160 for K1, do not believe them. They are just trying to make money because they will convince you to have your DS 160 downloaded and printed with them. One applicant did that and she paid 650 for doing so, only to find out that she doesn't need it after all. If you want you can bring one copy of DS 160 for your peace of mind. But it is just a waste of time and effort. There were a lot of applicant who just brought DS 160 during the interview and they ended up cramming to fill out old forms in the embassy. Good luck!

Thanks so much soon2wed. This is very good information. I'm convinced that K-1ers do not need the new DS-160. And wow...the vendors are charging a lot!!!

And to both of you... :star:Congratz on your visa :star: ...and have a wonderful trip back into the loving arms of your sweetheart!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

:ot: happy independence day PHILIPPINES! :)

:ot2: is it ok if we fill out all the forms? which makes it 4 in total? just to be very safe? we can never be too prepared right? :)

IR-5 Petition Parent (this is going to be a long journey)

02.12.2018 - I130 form sent (via USPS) 

02.21.2018 - I130 form delivered (via USPS) mail shipment delayed delivery

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

02.24.2018 - Text Notification received 

03.05.2018 - NOA1 Received

10.05.2018 - NOA2 Received (NOA date 10.02.2018) -- Petition approved.  Petition sent to NVC in Portsmouth, NH  

:ot: happy independence day PHILIPPINES! :)

:ot2: is it ok if we fill out all the forms? which makes it 4 in total? just to be very safe? we can never be too prepared right? :)

:ot::star: Mabuhay ang Pinas! :star:

:ot2: Well...I don't think you'll need the DS-160...but what could it hurt to bring it? As lola used to say, it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

:ot:(L) Mabuhay si Pinay (L) !!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filling out the DS-160 was a pain in the b*tt. The internet connection kept on shutting down and it was impossible to save. Then after we finished printing the confirmation receipt, I got an email response from the Manila embassy saying that the DS-156, 156K , 157 forms are to be used for K1 applicants. Not the DS-160!!! Great ,just wasted all that time and effort. I was just following the VJ posts on these forums to use DS 160 only to get wrong info

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.