Captain Oates

Naturalization wobbles

290 posts in this topic

I agree that just the fact that I mentioned it is going to mean to some that hubby is a racist (which is sort of why I brought it up). That's something I can't really control nor do I care about, as I happen to know he isn't one. They're going to conclude what they're going to conclude regardless of what I say or don't.

I think both of us see the problem more as one of the UK's immigration policy (or lack thereof) than anything else. I hope things have changed on that front, but it doesn't appear that way from the last article I had read - though again, maybe I have outdated information.

SA4userbar.jpg

Statistics for a feeling? Hmm I never thought about that I guess. I suppose it depends some on where one lives and works. He worked out of Hayes and in/around Heathrow. Hayes (I thought) was infamous as being somewhere that most Somalians emigrated to. .

No, I'm not suggesting that your husband is racist (or you for that matter), but Hayes is not the whole country, which is what you referred to in your original comment. I was beginning to think if the same UK that I live in was being discussed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I didn't say anyone was racist, just that perhaps the reaction was exaggerated. See my previous post about not living in Hayes etc. And I also object to the reference to being a troll. Just because I do most of my posting in another sub-forum does not make me a troll!

Paranoia stalks the streets ! - I was saying the exact opposite of that !

Ok read this carefully - you were saying someone might call you a racist and i said if you are not a racist then don't let anyone call you that

I was also saying that if someone ever calls you a troll when you are not, then they are probably the same kind of accusatory person. I have no idea what you have posted anywhere else at any time

Do you get it now ? Chill pill time. I recommend a toasted bagel and nescafe

moresheep400100.jpg

No, you're right - and I probably should have qualified my statement a bit more. Its akin to hubby thinking the NHS sucked - his trust did, but I've heard of others that do not.

SA4userbar.jpg

I think both of us see the problem more as one of the UK's immigration policy (or lack thereof) than anything else. I hope things have changed on that front, but it doesn't appear that way from the last article I had read - though again, maybe I have outdated information.

As a matter of fact I agree with you - the UK does have issues with its immigration policy that other countries, including other EU countries, don't have. Despite that, the indigenous population still constitutes 95% of the total.

Timeline

No, I'm not suggesting that your husband is racist (or you for that matter), but Hayes is not the whole country, which is what you referred to in your original comment. I was beginning to think if the same UK that I live in was being discussed!

I lived in Apperley Bridge which is the posh part of Bradford if there is such a thing.

We had two big estates of mostly white drugged up dysfunctional racist national front white underclass separating us from 150,000 Pakistanis who preserved their religion and culture totally and wanted to see Sharia law etc extended to their areas and not to handle pork/alcohol if they worked in the supermarket checkouts. A fiery mix

I had no affinity to either population so Washington State feels less strange. That makes me a snob and/or a racist in the eyes of some but I don't see myself as either - and I enjoy the company of Educated liberal Asians or decent English working class people equally..

My dad was a co-op van driver and later a coal man and we unloaded coal trucks together. I was told we were better than many other white families coz we didnt do acoholism/thieving/incest/walking away from debts etc. That's snobby in some people's books but I don't care about them.

My pal lives 15 miles away in Harrogate in a different world (for now)

moresheep400100.jpg

No, you're right - and I probably should have qualified my statement a bit more. Its akin to hubby thinking the NHS sucked - his trust did, but I've heard of others that do not.

:)

Unfortunately, if it's Hayes we're referring to, then yes, the local NHS sucks. There's still a disparity between areas when it comes to all sorts of services, and part of it does have to do with the demographics of the local area. It's not a coincidence that there is a correlation :(, and so yes, I can definitely understand why your husband and his family might have felt that the quality of their lives went down.

:)

Unfortunately, if it's Hayes we're referring to, then yes, the local NHS sucks. There's still a disparity between areas when it comes to all sorts of services, and part of it does have to do with the demographics of the local area. It's not a coincidence that there is a correlation :(, and so yes, I can definitely understand why your husband and his family might have felt that the quality of their lives went down.

Yeah. He worked in Hayes but lived in Slough if that tells you anything. ;)

SA4userbar.jpg

Phew! Glad to see this conversation settling down -- I was a little worried there!

And Alan -- if my aim was poor, it's just because I was overcome with ardour. Now that Owl has been reunited with her One True Love, I feel some of my paranoia receding. :wub:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

A quick response to Alan - I'm sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Additionally, what I like about the US is that, generally speaking, people are much more integrated than in the UK, and they are proud of all aspects of their national/ethnic heritage. That is yet to happen in the UK, and it might never do :( It is a very peculiar feeling when some immigrants take advantage of some of what the UK has to offer - and yet refuse to acknowledge the responsibilities that come with those rights.

Timeline

Phew! Glad to see this conversation settling down -- I was a little worried there!

And Alan -- if my aim was poor, it's just because I was overcome with ardour. Now that Owl has been reunited with her One True Love, I feel some of my paranoia receding. :Wu:

Ardour ? is that a perfume or something from Pfizer ?

That owl will be back as soon as dusk falls - silent gliding wings.....

I am cool with the yanks thing now and I am going to do as you do and treat the paperwork as just that - and to hell with nationalism of anywhere - but still savor the good bits of the cultures

Take the best, forget the rest and always remain ultimately selfish

Which reminds me : brace yourself:

Mummy cockle and baby cockle on the beach at Morecambe: parents get beach chairs and lay back

Baby cockle: Can I have an ice cream

Daddy cockle - we are on a budget so no - go and have as swim

baby cockle goes swimming - spurt spurt spurt and comes back 10 minutes later and there are the 2 parents each with a massive strawberry ice cream with a 99 choccy stuck in the top

baby cockle :

YOU SHELLFISH BASTARDS !!!!!

moresheep400100.jpg

It's all good - we're all adults. It probably would have helped if I was a little clearer to begin with (and not so generalized).

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

It's all good - we're all adults. It probably would have helped if I was a little clearer to begin with (and not so generalized).

How dare you call me an adult !

They are awful and won't let me stay up and I hate them

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.