Timeline

Retarded. Petarded too.

Is that as in 'hoist by his own petard' ? That was my dad's fav saying

after 'The bounder - he shot my fox'

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yay! I am top tramp again!

No more talk of early trains or I will pull your card and deport you to a forest full of owls and blond bimbos etc

Let that suspension be a lesson to you young lady - the path of righteousness is narrow and long - and so is..

er... BP's pipe line !

moresheep400100.jpg

No more talk of early trains or I will pull your card and deport you to a forest full of owls and blond bimbos etc

Let that suspension be a lesson to you young lady - the path of righteousness is narrow and long - and so is..

er... BP's pipe line !

Duly noted, Alan. I learned my lesson this time; I hope the Owl and the bimbo learn how quickly we can lose our positions. I bet Owl was only too happy to watch this unfold. No more early trains or young wanker bankers, I swear. :(

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Duly noted, Alan. I learned my lesson this time; I hope the Owl and the bimbo learn how quickly we can lose our positions. I bet Owl was only too happy to watch this unfold. No more early trains or young wanker bankers, I swear. :(

Top Queen of the cyber Totty but I always have spares within arms reach coz I remember the 7ps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Ps_(military_adage)

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Top Queen of the cyber Totty but I always have spares within arms reach coz I remember the 7ps

http://en.wikipedia....military_adage)

I do recall this from an earlier post of yours. See? I am paying attention and, most importantly, taking notes.

Filed: Other Timeline

Although I admittedly oftentimes have a twisted, almost British sense of humo(u)r, I wasn't kidding when I stated that if somebody has serious doubts on whether or not he is ready to become a US citizen, he ain't.

Sure, in Her Majesty's eyes, a Brit will always be a Brit. But for the Yanks, this is no point of consideration, which is why the State Department explicitly mentions the implied problems of dual citizenship in regard to loyalty concerns.

As long as we have no conflict, all of this is dormant. Yet once the sh*t hits the fan and there's a draft, any American will be expected to do as told and required by the supreme law of the land. Any refusal to do so can have life-ending consequences in war times, literally so, which is why I, as much as I myself will take advantage of the option of dual citizenship, feel the legislator should put in writing what he implies and require any applicant for naturalization to renounce his former citizenship.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel and I'm not suggesting that anyone would take turning actively against his former home country lightly; what I'm doing and still maintain to do is showing the extreme part of commitment required of a US citizen. The Oath of Allegiance is no joke, and knowing how many German-Americans, Italian-Americans, and Japanese Americans have been treated as the enemy and oftentimes deported during WWII confirms the obvious.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Although I admittedly oftentimes have a twisted, almost British sense of humo(u)r, I wasn't kidding when I stated that if somebody has serious doubts on whether or not he is ready to become a US citizen, he ain't.

Sure, in Her Majesty's eyes, a Brit will always be a Brit. But for the Yanks, this is no point of consideration, which is why the State Department explicitly mentions the implied problems of dual citizenship in regard to loyalty concerns.

As long as we have no conflict, all of this is dormant. Yet once the sh*t hits the fan and there's a draft, any American will be expected to do as told and required by the supreme law of the land. Any refusal to do so can have life-ending consequences in war times, literally so, which is why I, as much as I myself will take advantage of the option of dual citizenship, feel the legislator should put in writing what he implies and require any applicant for naturalization to renounce his former citizenship.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel and I'm not suggesting that anyone would take turning actively against his former home country lightly; what I'm doing and still maintain to do is showing the extreme part of commitment required of a US citizen. The Oath of Allegiance is no joke, and knowing how many German-Americans, Italian-Americans, and Japanese Americans have been treated as the enemy and oftentimes deported during WWII confirms the obvious.

I repeat: what a load of old cobblers. I'm pleased for you that you feel such allegiance to this country. Super. But it's absolute bollocks that you aren't telling other people how to feel. Read what you wrote again. It certainly reads like: if you don't think like me, you aren't ready. Bully that you love this place. I do too but I am happy in my fluid allegiance to the place. My family is filled with conscientious objectors and draft dodgers and we're proud of it. Are we committed to making this a better place? Sure.

Furthermore, your reference to deportation and detention in WWII is reactionary and frankly has no bearing on what is the status quo today. Do you know anyone who was interned? I do! They were an American family BORN in America who were of Japanese descent. The scars of that internment live on in the son who was interned there with his parents, a son who is as Californian a geriatric former surfer dude you could imagine, who was only a toddler at the time. They weren't naturalised -- they were born here like me. They didn't think of Japan as home. If in some dark America you see internment and deportation, we're all at risk. If you demand allegiance of naturalised citizens, will you demand it of me?

And dude, you do NOT have a British sense of humour or anything close. Source: I lived there and loved there for many, many years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The great thing about America is the right to state your beliefs, so long as they don't incite crimes (yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater and whatnot). You may find others' opinions repulsive, but they might feel the same about yours. No one is 'right' or 'wrong', and the good thing about America is that you can coexist knowing the Constitution affords you that liberty.

If you're going to naturalize while looking down your nose at how 'awful' a certain % of Americans are, then best preserve your Britishness and don't become 'one of us/them'.

eta: I lived in the UK, and am familiar with the violent history of the British Empire. To suggest that most or all Brits are of the 'it was a terrible necessity to bomb the Japanese' notion considering your own history and the opinions *I* heard about from British nationals is disingenuous at best.

WELL SAID!!! I think most people forget to look into the past when looking at the future. Religion is a prime example of this.

Filed: Timeline

Just read this whole thread and there are too many LOL moments to single out so this is for all of you who made me laughing.gif And.... oh great.... I have Ilkla Moor Baht 'at ringing in my head now. dry.gif

I have been struggling with the naturalization process also. At first I thought it would be wonderful to be able to vote and to not have to be subjugated to the USCIS process and all that entails with each border crossing..... which is quite freqent as a Canadian citizen with numerous ties to that country. As I close in upon the date where I am eligible to apply I find the one thing which is keeping me from that is the fact that I will have to file a tax return each year until the day I die. That has turned out to be a huge stumbling block. I want to vote but I do not want to be obligated to file a return should I choose to return to Europe or Canada because I hate math and forms. bleh.

I love the US. It is a fantastic country with equally fantastic citizens. There are some crazies. But I find there are some crazies in Canada as well as the UK. Disregard the nonsense and the nuts that you come across on VJ and base your consideration on your gut instinct. The nuts do not represent or personify their country..... thank God. They only stick out because they are so puerile. You know that the US, as a whole, is not like that. I am aware that other parts of the wolrd have a dim view of the US. I grew up on the border and know that what is portrayed in the media and what is reality are two different things. I will be proud to be a US citizen. Providing I can get over the fact that I will have to be financially accountable to them for the rest of my life. tongue_ss.gif

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.