Captain Oates

Naturalization wobbles

290 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Mate,

you cannot get the 'right' answers if you're asking the wrong question.

Becoming a US citizen does not require you to agree with the majority of Americans when it comes to immigration policy, and it worrying about the Japanese who won the war after all(*), is misguided also.

My position is, if you have even the slightest doubt that you are ready to become an American, you're not ready. How can you detect the slightest doubt? Easy, yet effictive exercise:

The Oath of Allegiance requires you to kiss goodbye any and all allegiance to Merry Old England. Forget the Japanese; imagine that we're entering a war against Great Britain over the horrible, man-made oil catastrophe BP caused, after thousands of Americans got poisened, the wildlife got extinct, and the economy destroyed for a century to come. The big man (or Sarah Palin) got all the votes in 2012 and once again there's a draft and they ask you to bomb the living sh*t of your British hometown.

If you don't think you're willing to do that, you're not ready to become an American.

(*)They won the war because your Camera is a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, because your car is a Honda or Toyota, and because your TV is a Panasonic. America is done. All we have left to export is weapons and violence . . . and production, of course.

Is it a personal attack if I say Bob may be the looniest member of VJ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just because you're choosing to apply for US citizenship doesn't mean you take on the values of the government.

I'm a born citizen and currently don't take on the values of this government. I didn't take on most of the Bush government's values either. Yet I'm still American.

The concerns the OP has are valid, but I think your struggles define the essence of what being an American is. Sure, we're a product of our culture, but we're also a very diverse country. If you want to be a liberal, hippy treehugger, you can be around like-minded people. If you wanted to be a Bible thumping fundamentalist, you could do that as well. Most of us fit in the middle of the spectrum. If you've read some of my comments, you'd probably think I'm a right-winger, but I have my liberal views: I'm in favor of immigration reform. I actually like Obama's plan (on the surface). I also am in favor of civil unions and even though I voted for Bush twice, I did not approve of a lot of what he did during his 2nd term as president. I am just as critical at the inefficiencies of the government under his power as under Obama's.

I think you'll find if you talk to a lot of Americans and get down to the nuts and bolts of what they believe, you'll find everyone's views as diverse as yours.

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist

And no, it probably isn't gonna be in Connecticut. Connecticut sucks.

For that, you die.

I don't know whether to add you one on or not

I think we are at 2

Whatchit - I am recovered and looking for owls, barbecued on an elm wood fire

Nooo! I will be a good and obedient wifeling and continue to back you up where needed. No barbecues, please. :(

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Mate,

you cannot get the 'right' answers if you're asking the wrong question.

Becoming a US citizen does not require you to agree with the majority of Americans when it comes to immigration policy, and it worrying about the Japanese who won the war after all(*), is misguided also.

My position is, if you have even the slightest doubt that you are ready to become an American, you're not ready. How can you detect the slightest doubt? Easy, yet effictive exercise:

The Oath of Allegiance requires you to kiss goodbye any and all allegiance to Merry Old England. Forget the Japanese; imagine that we're entering a war against Great Britain over the horrible, man-made oil catastrophe BP caused, after thousands of Americans got poisened, the wildlife got extinct, and the economy destroyed for a century to come. The big man (or Sarah Palin) got all the votes in 2012 and once again there's a draft and they ask you to bomb the living sh*t of your British hometown.

If you don't think you're willing to do that, you're not ready to become an American.

(*)They won the war because your Camera is a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, because your car is a Honda or Toyota, and because your TV is a Panasonic. America is done. All we have left to export is weapons and violence . . . and production, of course.

Same question for David Soul (who) starsky and hutch - he became a british citizen - is he ready to bomb the USA - I doubt it very much.

I think any Brit who naturalizes here and IS prepared to bomb his friends and relatives and the people he went to school with in his country of birth should hand in his old passport.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I hand in my UK passport

I think there are all kinds of American and the ones who demand that I kill my grandchildren and sister etc as the price of the citizenship are the ones I am talking about that really worry me. In a word - YOU

ps don't call me mate unles you are prepared to try and procreate with me

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Same question for David Soul (who) starsky and hutch - he became a british citizen - is he ready to bomb the USA - I doubt it very much.

I think any Brit who naturalizes here and IS prepared to bomb his friends and relatives and the people he went to school with in his country of birth should hand in his old passport.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I hand in my UK passport

I think there are all kinds of American and the ones who demand that I kill my grandchildren and sister etc as the price of the citizenship are the ones I am talking about that really worry me. In a word - YOU

ps don't call me mate unles you are prepared to try and procreate with me

It's a load of old cobblers about "taking sides" in this day and age. Please. In our post-modern universe, it's a mere philosophical construct. Bob, it's not your place to tell Alan what he needs to feel before taking citizenship. We all have our own feelings about allegiance, and frankly, as a USC born and bred who spent the bulk of her adult years in another country, my own feelings about what I owe to whom are up in the air. Why should I get a pass simply because I was born here? If Alan wants to become a USC and has issues with how he feels about the government and the people of the US, what should keep him from taking it? They are much the same as my own.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I am a red blooded, redneck southern boy, by choice / grace of God..... :thumbs:

With that being said, I share your views of killing the Mexican teen, as well as killing civilians during war. :yes:

Timeline

It's a load of old cobblers about "taking sides" in this day and age. Please. In our post-modern universe, it's a mere philosophical construct. Bob, it's not your place to tell Alan what he needs to feel before taking citizenship. We all have our own feelings about allegiance, and frankly, as a USC born and bred who spent the bulk of her adult years in another country, my own feelings about what I owe to whom are up in the air. Why should I get a pass simply because I was born here? If Alan wants to become a USC and has issues with how he feels about the government and the people of the US, what should keep him from taking it? They are much the same as my own.

10 down =0 !

grrr bomb Ilkley Moor ? bomb my fish and chip shop ? I should cocoa

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I am a red blooded, redneck southern boy, by choice / grace of God..... :thumbs:

With that being said, I share your views of killing the Mexican teen, as well as killing civilians during war. :yes:

I could imagine being called up (not now thanks my feet hurt) and having to kill some poor kid on the other side because the government says so - and I would probably do it as I haven't got the guts to refuse. But I would be truly ashamed of myself if I laughed about it and shot his mother too as an 'example' to the other villagers.

Reading some of the comments on the net, I think there are plenty of such people around. It could be because the US population is 5 times the UK, that these people nearly always seem to be American.

Anyway the percentage of Americans willing to do that stuff will go down by .00001 % when I become one - so my existence will not have been in vain. Heck I have found the meaning of life - at last.

I applaud the fact that all real Southern redneck boys don't fit the stereotype.

That's great and helps

ps Buddy Holly from Lubbock, Texas was WONDERFUL

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Nope. I found his comments pretty offensive.

Yeah but it made my point more effectively than I ever could - and showed I didn't dream the existence of these people up

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.