Captain Oates

Naturalization wobbles

290 posts in this topic

I first came across Americans in volume in the early 80's when I became European Finance Director for an American company based in Georgia. It took minutes before I was informed that the way things are done in the US and everything about America is superior to anywhere else in the world.

I have had an unlimited business visa since then and I made hundreds of visits - some of them via Concorde for two day meetings.

I have mixed with people all over Europe and received their opinions on the culture of the US in their eyes. My opinions are not just mine but a mix of others thoughts.

I have met Superb Americans. Clever Americans. Compassionate Americans, highly educated Americans, gentle quiet Americans - and had my life saved by an American in Saudi Arabia - literally.

It's a pity therefore that one aspect of American culture is it's inability to even discuss ONE shortcoming of the USA with an ALIEN, but rather to immediately brand them as the enemy and close ranks.

The Brits are seen worldwide as snotty etc etc and the Americans are regarded worldwide in a certain way as well. To deny this or say it's just me, is simply to hide one's head in the sand.

I'm sure the bolded portion is pointed at us. I thought we were actually doing that quite well, namely Lisa was - until you started having a go at her which is when all of this deteriorated.

It wouldn't be very wise of me to pin any alien as the 'enemy', particularly a British one, seeing as I'm married to one and bearing the next generation.

But you've made it pretty hard to want to be warm and fuzzy to, Alan. Let's at least agree to call that spade a spade.

SA4userbar.jpg

I'm, perhaps foolishly, going to wade back in here. Even the use of the word 'alien' as opposed to foreigner gives us non-USC the impression that we're from another planet, quite literally. Yes of course, American English differs from British English, and a country can use whatever terminology it wishes. Doesn't mean that the rest of the world is necessarily going to enjoy being referred to that way.

Filed: Timeline

I'm, perhaps foolishly, going to wade back in here. Even the use of the word 'alien' as opposed to foreigner gives us non-USC the impression that we're from another planet, quite literally. Yes of course, American English differs from British English, and a country can use whatever terminology it wishes. Doesn't mean that the rest of the world is necessarily going to enjoy being referred to that way.

SayWhat is the one who used it....in caps no less....he's British btw.

I prefer non-USC or foreign national, myself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm sure the bolded portion is pointed at us. I thought we were actually doing that quite well, namely Lisa was - until you started having a go at her which is when all of this deteriorated.

It wouldn't be very wise of me to pin any alien as the 'enemy', particularly a British one, seeing as I'm married to one and bearing the next generation.

But you've made it pretty hard to want to be warm and fuzzy to, Alan. Let's at least agree to call that spade a spade.

I call it as I see it and that makes some people very warm and fuzzy with me whether they agree or not. On this subject, my opinions are really those of the 450 million people of Europe who have authorised me to speak on their behalf.

I realise that as the messenger and bearer of their sentiments, I have to take the load of rabid nationalistic Americans on behalf of all Europeans and I hope they appreciate it.

Others only work on warm and fuzzy and their lives slide by without them thinking about any of these issues in depth - until their Nationalistic glands get tickled and then it's like a BP explosion while listening to every FOX contributor talking at once

Only country with free speech indeed - get real

moresheep400100.jpg

SayWhat is the one who used it....in caps no less....he's British btw.

I prefer non-USC or foreign national, myself.

I know it's Alan that used the term first, and it's pretty obvious that he's a Brit, that's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

However, I'm fairly sure that US law, USCIS, etc refer to non-USC as aliens, or am I mistaken?

True, but I don't know of anyone who has been offended by the word "alien". I wouldn't attribute that to America attempting to look down on other nations at all.

Timeline

I prefer the clinical term "Limey #######." :mellow:

Flattery will get you everywhere young lady - and I mean everywhere

Why be difficult, when with a little effort, you can be downright impossible haha ! (L)

I know it's Alan that used the term first, and it's pretty obvious that he's a Brit, that's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

However, I'm fairly sure that US law, USCIS, etc refer to non-USC as aliens, or am I mistaken?

I don't mind being called an ALIEN - after all they come from advanced cultures where we don't have the technology to go

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Honestly, if you have 'doubts' or 'wobbles' -- you probably aren't ready to take up another country's citizenship and make that 'commitment.'

You will know whether 'batting for the other team; is the 'right decision' for you (based on whatever your reasoning is -- practical, emotional, political) instead of trying to get strangers on internet forums to convince you, one way or another.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Again, ITA agree with you Tracy, and yes, we were doing that quite well. Look back at your posts, mine, and several other USCs who have replied to Alan....almost every one of them has us apologizing or acknowledging the 'bad' about America.

Timeline

Honestly, if you have 'doubts' or 'wobbles' -- you probably aren't ready to take up another country's citizenship and make that 'commitment.'

You will know whether 'batting for the other team; is the 'right decision' for you (based on whatever your reasoning is -- practical, emotional, political) instead of trying to get strangers on internet forums to convince you, one way or another.

Actually, the vjers have helped me enormously with my thinking on this - especially the one who says she takes her US Nationality and swearing to god etc very lightly - and all the Nationalists and deep spiritualists and shaking will emotional pride crowd can safely be ignored.

I have figured out my course of action and I will do the nationality thing for the security of my own assets and the life I have here. I will obey all laws and pay all taxes and denounce all traitors. If the US ever goes down the same road as the third reich, I will renounce nationality and join the international coalition and true Americans to overthrow it.

That's the plan. Some people say even if the US becomes the 4th Reich, I am on the hook for life and should not renounce nationality for any reason. I reject that as I would reject an unfaithful spouse to whom I had made vows.

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

I call it as I see it and that makes some people very warm and fuzzy with me whether they agree or not. On this subject, my opinions are really those of the 450 million people of Europe who have authorised me to speak on their behalf.

I realise that as the messenger and bearer of their sentiments, I have to take the load of rabid nationalistic Americans on behalf of all Europeans and I hope they appreciate it.

Others only work on warm and fuzzy and their lives slide by without them thinking about any of these issues in depth - until their Nationalistic glands get tickled and then it's like a BP explosion while listening to every FOX contributor talking at once

Only country with free speech indeed - get real

You speak for 450 million others!? Honestly that is THE BEST :rofl: I've had in a long, long while.

I really think we've gone as far as we can go in this 'debate' or whatever you want to call it. The shark has long been jumped by the British Fonzie.

I still maintain that the point of this thread - to discuss you becoming a US citizen or not - has been established. In no way, shape or form should you ever become one. I hope this has all been helpful to you. It's certainly been - uh - enlightening to me...

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Point out ONE post here where anyone claimed we were the ONLY country with free speech. I challenge you.

The exact quote was 'one of the only ones' read back - I am sure you have time

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.