Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

So i totally just went and looked at baby stuff...OVERWHELMED. holy ####. there is so much stuff out there.

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Ahaha, yes! I still have not created my registry yet.

Luckily I'm online a lot at work, and I'm a cautious buyer with the patience to sift through reviews, recommendations, etc.

I like http://www.lucieslist.com/ - provides a list of most of the essentials, with the top three products in each price range as chosen by the mothers she's worked with/who have written in.

For baby carriers, this is a decent comparison chart: http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

Other than that... amazon reviews, advice from the good ladies here, and personal recommendations are always great to have!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Those websites are AWESOME! I'm online a lot at work, too. Usually when I shouldn't be ;) I'm totally jumping the gun on registries, I know. I'm so damn excited lol! I'm going to go stalk those websites now. Look what you've done!!

Edited by DiZZyLoX

---

---

I think if you search this thread, we listed some items we ladies saw as extraneous (things I wish people had told us!). I think my top thing was the baby wipe warmer, though it's probably more important for little boys. We barely used it because we started using warm, wet washcloths to clean her with, then one to dry her before the powder. That's saved us a small fortune in baby wipes, too (we cloth diaper as well - which I'd totally recommend :D ). The only time we really use baby wipes is out and about.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

I totally want to cloth diaper but I'm concerned about what will happen while I'm working. I'm gonna be a workin' mama. What do you think?

---

---

That depends on who is looking after your baby - I know many day-cares require disposable diapers only. :)

Other than that I'm sure Tracy can help you, I believe she uses cloth diapers! I know many these days are just as easy to use as disposables - no more hulking great sheets and safety pins!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

I agree with Rachel. Check with whomever your child care provider is going to be and go from there. Many day cares are used to them now and have no issue so long as they have enough to get them through the day. Even if they don't, there's still nothing saying you can't cloth diaper at home and just provide disposies to them during the day.

Cloth diapering has come a LONG way. My husband was against it until he read up and realized what they're like now. Then he became nearly a bigger advocate than me! LOL We use Fuzzi Bunz exclusively but there are many other options out there (a lot of people mix and mingle the types they use). We just liked FB because of the snaps- we could both just see the velcro deteriorating over the life of the diaper from all the washing.

I have a couple good links I can give you as well if you're really interested. :) One place lets you do a cloth 'trial' where you can try different types.

SA4userbar.jpg

Hi, ladies!

I thought I'd check in and say hello. We're back from an exhausting trip to the UK. I barely used the computer while there, which was actually kinda nice!

Congrats, Dizzy, and welcome to BBITO!

Rachel, the pic is adorable. How is your hand?

Tracy, how is the new job? What's new with Em?

I'll give a Limita update soon, but I'm swamped trying to catch up on all the work I didn't do while away. Overall, she's doing well and is starting to say intelligible words, including (would you believe) "No," "Moooo!" "Apple" (I think she's actually saying something else, but it sounds like "apple"), and "Two." Nothing profane yet, fortunately. :star:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

I agree with Rachel. Check with whomever your child care provider is going to be and go from there. Many day cares are used to them now and have no issue so long as they have enough to get them through the day. Even if they don't, there's still nothing saying you can't cloth diaper at home and just provide disposies to them during the day.

Cloth diapering has come a LONG way. My husband was against it until he read up and realized what they're like now. Then he became nearly a bigger advocate than me! LOL We use Fuzzi Bunz exclusively but there are many other options out there (a lot of people mix and mingle the types they use). We just liked FB because of the snaps- we could both just see the velcro deteriorating over the life of the diaper from all the washing.

I have a couple good links I can give you as well if you're really interested. :) One place lets you do a cloth 'trial' where you can try different types.

interested!!!

Thanks, Empress!!

---

---

Rachel, the pic is adorable. How is your hand?

Thank you!

And the hand is no better :( I mean, it doesn't really hurt, but it's not fully functional, either! And what looks like swelling feels far too hard to me - and isn't subsiding.

I've been trying to rest it but it is SO hard not to use your main hand!

I'll give a Limita update soon, but I'm swamped trying to catch up on all the work I didn't do while away. Overall, she's doing well and is starting to say intelligible words, including (would you believe) "No," "Moooo!" "Apple" (I think she's actually saying something else, but it sounds like "apple"), and "Two." Nothing profane yet, fortunately. :star:

Haha, of course 'no' is first on the list! ;) How cute!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

so...heartburn. ew. ew. ew. ew. ew. I hate it. coupled with the constant spitting and drooling all the time. I swear I am having the weirdest pregnancy ever. The cruelest thing happened last week. I had 5 hours of no spitting at all and thought it finally had left me, and then BOOM there it was again. It's almost like how before you puke your mouth just starts sprouting water...yeah, that...except once every 2 minutes. THE LAMENESS!!!!

I'm having an angry pregnancy day today. and now hubby wants me to walk down stairs to look at the beautiful moon. I feel like telling him to #### the moon but it's not his fault...wait a minute, yet it is!!!

hahaha

xo

p.s. i just read some of the earlier posts from when you ladies were expecting and going through birth, etc. I almost cried like 6 times!!! Tracy, I totally felt your anxiety about the actual labor and delivery. I stll am anxious about that but I try not to think about it because I have a ways to go...but I know i'm going to be a nervous wreck when it comes down to it. I'll have to remember to stop working at 37 weeks. There's no way I'm going to be able to focus if I stay any longer.

Edited by DiZZyLoX

---

---

Tracy, how is the new job? What's new with Em?

The new job is going great, Empress - thanks for asking! To have a boss who actually thinks a 40 hour work week is plenty...what a concept! Em is teething again because god forbid she get more than 6 teeth at a time. LOL but luckily it doesn't seem to put her in an ill mood - just a lot of gnawing on things (usually her hands). But she tries and does more every day. Quite the personality she has now! :)

interested!!!

Ok so here's the cloth diaper trial site that I told you about: http://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10

A good blog for discussing all things cloth: http://www.theclothdiaperwhisperer.com/

I'd start there. Do some poking around, then see what questions you have. :)

so...heartburn. ew. ew. ew. ew. ew. I hate it. coupled with the constant spitting and drooling all the time. I swear I am having the weirdest pregnancy ever. The cruelest thing happened last week. I had 5 hours of no spitting at all and thought it finally had left me, and then BOOM there it was again. It's almost like how before you puke your mouth just starts sprouting water...yeah, that...except once every 2 minutes. THE LAMENESS!!!!

I'm having an angry pregnancy day today. and now hubby wants me to walk down stairs to look at the beautiful moon. I feel like telling him to #### the moon but it's not his fault...wait a minute, yet it is!!!

hahaha

xo

p.s. i just read some of the earlier posts from when you ladies were expecting and going through birth, etc. I almost cried like 6 times!!! Tracy, I totally felt your anxiety about the actual labor and delivery. I stll am anxious about that but I try not to think about it because I have a ways to go...but I know i'm going to be a nervous wreck when it comes down to it. I'll have to remember to stop working at 37 weeks. There's no way I'm going to be able to focus if I stay any longer.

You poor thing - I just cannot imagine! :( And the freaking a** heartburn, my god. I didn't get that until about month 6 so I hate you have it already. Geez! But I've heard it can come and go so it may not 'stick' with you...if that helps.

Aww I hope we didn't scare you too much!! LOL I think the #1 thing I can impart is that it's largely just fear of the unknown - that's what scared me so bad. You should NOT think about it, not only as you have a ways to go yet, but also because I can tell you that your body knows what to do. It just does. I know that doesn't provide much comfort, but just go with that. :) Also make sure your doctor is ok with any and all methods of intervention - read: DRUGS, LOL - if that's what you want. It certainly was the way I wanted to go, and it helped me a lot to know my doctor was going to listen to what I wanted and not fight me on anything.

Granted, that doesn't mean you won't feel ANY pain of course, but it was a relief to me to know it would come the instant I could have it. And it did. But then I had a 'hot spot' - which apparently isn't common. So I wouldn't worry about that either. Just know you'll get to a point where they're telling you to push and you have to believe them because you can't feel squat. :lol:

As for when to stop work - you have to do what you and your doctor think is best. I sit behind a desk all day so 38/39 weeks was not beyond the pale for me. It helped me to have something else to focus on besides sitting around fearing that unknown. But each mom is different, and your way is the right way - whatever that may be. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Aww, you poor thing! That sounds awful. Hope it goes away soon!

The new job is going great, Empress - thanks for asking! To have a boss who actually thinks a 40 hour work week is plenty...what a

I love bosses like that! Glad to hear the new job is going well. :)

I need to start taking walks at lunch time - my back is really starting to ache from sitting at my desk all day!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

I hear you. My back aches after an hour or two at my desk and I'm not preggers! I try to make a conscious effort to get up and move at least once an hour. Doesn't always help but seems to keep it from getting unbearable.

My problem lately is I think I'm developing ulcers. :( :(

SA4userbar.jpg

The new job is going great, Empress - thanks for asking! To have a boss who actually thinks a 40 hour work week is plenty...what a concept! Em is teething again because god forbid she get more than 6 teeth at a time. LOL but luckily it doesn't seem to put her in an ill mood - just a lot of gnawing on things (usually her hands). But she tries and does more every day. Quite the personality she has now! :)

That's great that the new job is going well! Are you still in touch w/ people at the old place? I bet they miss you! Idiots, ay?

How many teeth does Em have now?

I'm sorry to hear about the (possible) ulcers! Will you see a doctor?

Mad-Ag is getting over a cold (would you believe) and hasn't slept through the night for nearly a month now. She was sleeping great, 10+ hours at a time, until we left for the UK. She never quite adjusted to UK time and didn't get a full night's sleep the whole time we were there...noise, daylight, MIL who basically doesn't believe in jet lag (we had to intervene to keep her from waking Madeleine up in the morning, after she'd gone to bed at 4 a.m.). This made the readjustment to AZ time easier, but she keeps waking up screaming and random times. Last night she went down at 9:30 (her normal bedtime is 8:30-9) and woke up at midnight, 2, and 6:30. We don't know if it's teething--I think canines are getting ready to come in, but she hasn't really been drooling all that much or chewing on things--her cold, separation anxiety, or what. Consequently, we don't know how to handle it. We really didn't need to do sleep training when she was younger. Although she wasn't sleeping through the night reliably until about 8 months, she was always pretty good at settling herself down, and when she did wake up, it was usually because she was hungry, uncomfortable, sick, etc. Now, at nearly 15 months, we have no idea what the problem is! :crying: We've been back for nearly two weeks. Could it still be travel readjustment?

That's my kvetch for the day.

I hope everyone's doing OK! Rachel, how's the nausea?

Dizzy, we used cloth diapers (Gro-Via) for about six months. We stopped using them when Madeleine entered full-time daycare because we'd only use 2 or 3 a day (night, really), which we decided wasn't worth it because we were doing very small diaper loads. Madeleine's preschool would have allowed us to use cloth diapers if we'd really pushed it, but then I thought about the reality of toting home poopy diapers every night and realized I wasn't that into it. The advantages are that they're bulkier and you have fewer blowouts, they're super-cute and soft, and, of course, they save you money over the long term. The main disadvantage is the extra work and lots of laundry. Madeleine required frequent diaper changes because she has very sensitive skin and also peed a ton, and it seemed like I was doing laundry constantly. Also, properly laundering cloth diapers is a several-step process. Each step is pretty short, but it does add up, and when you're trying to do a lot of things while wiped out and sleep deprived...to be honest, if I had another baby (very unlikely!), I wouldn't cloth diaper again. :blush: I know disposables are terribly wasteful. If we could compost, I'd consider Gro-Via's disposable biodiaper, which is excellent--and compostable. I was able to sell 11 Gro-Via shells and a bunch of used soakers (the absorbent insert) on eBay for $125. So that was a bonus. :star: I have noticed that a lot of people who cloth diaper are really into it, and there's lots of good information. And, of course, Tracy is a stellar source! I hope this doesn't sound discouraging, I just wanted to share my experience.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.