Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The date thing was really hard for me at first! Trying to train my brain to do month/day/year, opposed to day/month/year. Not quite as hard as remembering to say "zee" instead of "zed" however. Every now and then I say "zed" instead of "zee," at work and get some really awkward silence from the person on the other side of the phone :lol:

I had that :blink: moment when I went to trade in my Ford ZX2 at a dealership in Florida. The conversation was:

Salesguy: What model is your trade-in?

Me: ZX2

He: How do you spell that?

Me: :unsure: Zed ex two :blink:

He: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

My Husband: Zee ex two

me too! Out, about and sorry are apparently the words that some people can tell on. Most people can't though which leads me to believe some people listen really hard to me once they know I'm Canadian so they can do that stupid "oot and aboot" thing.

Oh. I didn't know about "sorry" was one. Now I'm trying to figure out how it's said differently. lol

I was meeting my new neighbour the other day when she asked "Where are you from?" I mentioned the Toronto area as part of my response and she said "Oh, now I hear your accent! You sound just like Sandra Rinomato!" I went :blink::angry: . She said "What's wrong? I love her!! Why don't you like her?" I said "Well.... I find her kind of irritating." Her husband started to laugh and said "See? I told you she was irritating." :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I had that :blink: moment when I went to trade in my Ford ZX2 at a dealership in Florida. The conversation was:

Salesguy: What model is your trade-in?

Me: ZX2

He: How do you spell that?

Me: :unsure: Zed ex two :blink:

He: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

My Husband: Zee ex two

Zed is an uncommon name for a man in the U.S., not the last letter in the alphabet. :lol:

strange-brew.jpg

You mean that movie wasn't a documentary? :o

I was meeting my new neighbour the other day when she asked "Where are you from?" I mentioned the Toronto area as part of my response and she said "Oh, now I hear your accent! You sound just like Sandra Rinomato!" I went :blink::angry: . She said "What's wrong? I love her!! Why don't you like her?" I said "Well.... I find her kind of irritating." Her husband started to laugh and said "See? I told you she was irritating." :lol:

:lol: too funny!!

My friend (also from BC) and I were in Hawaii in '06 and we were talking with a woman from California. In the middle of the conversation she asks us.."Are you two from Canada?" I was thinking... which one of us said "eh"? We said "yes" and "how did you know?" She replied... "You have Peter Jenning's accent!!!" :rofl: I have been compared to all sorts of things in my life...but that one was a first!

strange-brew.jpg

You mean that movie wasn't a documentary? :o

"Take off, eh!" "It's a beauty way to go" "the great white North" "Hosehead!" Yep...we talk like that... :P

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

:lol: too funny!!

My friend (also from BC) and I were in Hawaii in '06 and we were talking with a woman from California. In the middle of the conversation she asks us.."Are you two from Canada?" I was thinking... which one of us said "eh"? We said "yes" and "how did you know?" She replied... "You have Peter Jenning's accent!!!" :rofl: I have been compared to all sorts of things in my life...but that one was a first!

"Take off, eh!" "It's a beauty way to go" "the great white North" "Hosehead!" Yep...we talk like that... :P

I have heard some talk like that before :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone ever heard of megabus?

I got my mom a return ticket from Toronto to Philadelphia for 11.50 yesterday. She's coming down just for the weekend in November for my sons birthday and didn't want to drive but didn't want to fly either as she only has a status card and not a passport. So I looked up megabus and I got her ticket down for 10.00 and her ticket home for 1.00 with a .50 cent reservation fee... yep came to 11.50.

She'll take the bus down on Thursday night at 10:30 and get to Philadelphia Friday morning at 7:15 - so its a good sleep. Isn't that awesome though?

I thought so. I felt like i was stealing, thats how awesome this deal was. :P

PS: I am going home next month for a visit and it is just going to be my son and I so I decided that instead of driving to take this bus too, it has free wifi, the busses are clean, and its an express to Toronto... 31.00 for BOTH of our tickets... return. I feel like that lady on the IKEA commercials: "START THE CAR!"

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Oh the downside is that they have gotten lost a few times, but for 31.00 they take the long way home for all I care! I'll sit back and enjoy my cheap assed ride. Oh and there was a big accident in Syracuse this weekend because it went under a bridge and didn't clear it, it's a double decker bus... so I won't sit on the top at the front... :P

I'm willing to risk it, especially with the way I drive... everything I learned about driving I learned in Jersey... I think a Megabus is safer for me.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh the downside is that they have gotten lost a few times, but for 31.00 they take the long way home for all I care! I'll sit back and enjoy my cheap assed ride. Oh and there was a big accident in Syracuse this weekend because it went under a bridge and didn't clear it, it's a double decker bus... so I won't sit on the top at the front... :P

I'm willing to risk it, especially with the way I drive... everything I learned about driving I learned in Jersey... I think a Megabus is safer for me.

I've read some bad reviews about MegaBus (mainly about not being on time and the WiFi not actually working) but I think if you go in with really low expectations and without the need to get back in a hurry, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And regarding accents, I can hear the Canadian accent now when I go home or call my Mom on the phone and wow it's really strong! My sister told me that my accent has changed, which I find pretty funny.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I've only taken a bus (non city bus or school bus) once. It was only from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, roughly a 4.5 hour ride. Unfortunately for me, the bus began its journey in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and about half of the people on that bus had been on the bus for 3 days worth of driving. The nasty smell of stale cigarettes and body odor could have killed an elephant. I will NEVER take a bus again.

Timeline

My husbands boss is the one who actually suggested it because he takes it back and forth from NYC a lot now just to save money. I read a lot of mixed reviews, some good and some bad, I'm not expecting first class service... its a bus.

I promised myself I would never take a bus again after 2 crazy greyhound bus rides down to the states before I lived here... but again for the price I'm not going to complain. I don't go to McDonalds hoping for awesome service and fine burgers.... i go because I want someone to roll their eyes when I ask for fries without salt and a cheeseburger without the cheese and only one pickle on the right hand side... and my free smile.

I've only taken a bus (non city bus or school bus) once. It was only from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, roughly a 4.5 hour ride. Unfortunately for me, the bus began its journey in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and about half of the people on that bus had been on the bus for 3 days worth of driving. The nasty smell of stale cigarettes and body odor could have killed an elephant. I will NEVER take a bus again.

I see your stale bus smell and raise you with the toilet that flushed UP!

Yes the toilet flushed and the water flew out and all over the bathroom and all over me. I was completely freaking mortified!

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My husbands boss is the one who actually suggested it because he takes it back and forth from NYC a lot now just to save money. I read a lot of mixed reviews, some good and some bad, I'm not expecting first class service... its a bus.

I promised myself I would never take a bus again after 2 crazy greyhound bus rides down to the states before I lived here... but again for the price I'm not going to complain. I don't go to McDonalds hoping for awesome service and fine burgers.... i go because I want someone to roll their eyes when I ask for fries without salt and a cheeseburger without the cheese and only one pickle on the right hand side... and my free smile.

I see your stale bus smell and raise you with the toilet that flushed UP!

Yes the toilet flushed and the water flew out and all over the bathroom and all over me. I was completely freaking mortified!

WOW. Just wow.

LoL @ fries with no salt at McDonalds. I started doing that about 3 months ago. They usually take between 10 and 20 minutes to get my order when I ask for that. Such a hassle that really doesn't need to be.

Timeline

Yea because they have to clean out the entire fry area and everything for your order. :lol:

Its great.

ETA: If you go through the drive thru they'll get you to park off to the side while they make you your fries... so do this but when they deliver your order to you say: "Oh can I get some salt packets?" It's hilarious.

I'm mentally 12.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Yea because they have to clean out the entire fry area and everything for your order. :lol:

Its great.

ETA: If you go through the drive thru they'll get you to park off to the side while they make you your fries... so do this but when they deliver your order to you say: "Oh can I get some salt packets?" It's hilarious.

I'm mentally 12.

I have done this a couple of times. When they ask you to pull off to the side and wait for someone to bring your order out, I just decline. First two times, I got my way and my food in only 5 minutes. The last time I tried it, I got the manager who told me to please pull over or they would decline to serve me.

Timeline

:lol: It's funneh.

So this new guy just came in, I guess he's going to be a busser downstairs in the restaurant. His mom walks into the office introduces herself and says: "This is Conners first night, do I need to be here to sign anything?"

Conner is 17... just keep that in mind.

We tell her no and get the F&B manager to come up and get him. She decides to stand there with him and wait. The manager comes up and again the mom introduces herself and then tells the manager that Conner has his cell phone and to have him call her when he's finished so she can pick him up.

I wanted to say... "Well what happens if Conner goes wee wee... who is going to change his diaper?"

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

:lol: It's funneh.

So this new guy just came in, I guess he's going to be a busser downstairs in the restaurant. His mom walks into the office introduces herself and says: "This is Conners first night, do I need to be here to sign anything?"

Conner is 17... just keep that in mind.

We tell her no and get the F&B manager to come up and get him. She decides to stand there with him and wait. The manager comes up and again the mom introduces herself and then tells the manager that Conner has his cell phone and to have him call her when he's finished so she can pick him up.

I wanted to say... "Well what happens if Conner goes wee wee... who is going to change his diaper?"

Is conner "special"?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I took two buses last year, A greyhound,a NY greyhound and a mega bus. My hubby didnt want to drive yet again so he told me I had to take a bus :( lol 16 hour bus drive with two bus changes but it was worth it. I have no complaints about any of the buses. I took it at 7pm so I slept most of the trip with my headphones on, although Im not sure i would want to try to have my son with me. Was boring haha.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.