Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That was quick - nice work on getting a new job quickly! Get those gel insoles - your feeties will thank you!

I actually have foot issues so all my shoes have custom made orthotics so there is no room for the gel inserts :(. I think it is mostly because I have been at home really not doing too much of anything and then going right to standing for so long. There is usually a fair bit of moving around with what I am doing, but our line was down for most of the night last night so we just stood there waiting for it to be fixed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Huh. Hershey is bringing their version of the Aero bar to the US. Sweet. (pun intended)

Holding my nose and jumping off the cliff.. hope I don't hit any rocks in the water.

"All I want out of life is ice cream and cuddles. Is it too much to ask? Is it?" - Sleep Talkin' Man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WithoutMusic-theidolhands.pngSquareOneIcon.pngMYV2avaruusvirta.pngCarmenSandiego-theidolhands.pngSuckIt-stellans.jpg

138 days from NOA1 - NOA2

14 days from CIS till NVC case number assigned.

Timeline

so we are leaving for Canada today or tomorrow.. still have to get hubby to nail down a time :P.. we are going to be driving ...

Yeah...drive safe and enjoy your visit. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wow! What an adventure! Thanks for all of the details - I will definitely look forward to the next installment. And, you can always get care packages of Tim Horton's sent to you, if necessary :P .

:devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

I went to the SS Office yesterday to change my name and get my conditions lifted from my SSN. I did not have to apply for a card when I entered on my K-1, because I received my SSN back in 2006 when I had a J-1 visa. The woman at the desk was convinced she couldn't change my name or conditions because "Immigration doesn't know my new last name".... despite my greencard in my married name. I repeatedly told her this, and she kept saying she couldn't..... and I kept getting annoyed... and eventually, I just asked for a supervisor, who got the job done in less than 5 minutes.

I actually wouldn't really care that much, except California is a state that requires the DMV to verify your name with the SS Office before issuing a driver's license, which I really need.

Thankfully it's done now!

And, on a MUCH happier note, I have a job interview this evening! Fingers crossed and praying!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck with the job interview CBM! good.gif

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Thanks OBX! They offered me the job yesterday :)

It's just part time, but at least it's something to keep me occupied. It's a teaching position for an educational services company contracted by school boards in California. At least it's teaching!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

Howdy all again from Managua Nicaragua!! Been here for over a month now and still alive,lol. This is just my account of Nica so far, so if your a Nicaraguan, please take no offense---I do LOVE your country, but just passing on what I have seen/experienced.

It is one of the poorest countries in the western hemisphere, so knowing that, you see some sad situations! I have traveled a lot during my Cdn Military days, so yes, its not new, but still very sad. See people living in shacks, super skinny dogs, kids/elderly adults begging for change at stop lights!! The kids will usually be juggling, maybe even juggling on the shoulders of their dad. The elderly ladies, look like they are 120 yrs old, but probably in their 50/60's--they will come right up to ur window and plant their face right up against it. As well you have people dressed up as clowns, other want to wash ur windows. Some are selling cell phone covers, steering wheel covers, nuts, water. And you can even buy birds!! Lot of the action happens when the light is red, but as the light turns green, they are out in the middle of the lane with traffic zooming by!

Police here are always looking for a handout. They want to give you a ticket for anything, but what they really want is for you to give them $$$$. They are more than happy to give you a warning, if you could just give them some gas money!!

If you ever come to nicaragua and rent a car---ENSURE you mark every single little scratch/dent//misperfection down! As when you return the car, they will try and hold you responsible, and yes thats delaing with major name rental car companies such as Budget!!

Ever get into an accident--NEVER move ur car--even if ur holding up traffic---If u move ur car, Guess what, you just assumed 100% responsibility for it! Don't know Spanish, well u better have a phone and have the USA embassy phone #,lol And yes, the cops are SLOWWW to responding, so settle in, could be awhile. 1 person I know waited 4 hrs for the cops to arrive!!

Nothing happens fast here. If you have an appt at ur house to get something installed, such as cable, they may or may not show. And thet wont call you if they are not showing!! Out of the blue days/week later, thee may show up, no apologies or excuses,lol

Very little English is spoken here, so don't expect it,lol

Labor is super cheap!! We have a maid/cook and by our contract, she is suppose to work from 0830 to 1630 mon thru Sat and her monthly pay is around $220 USD. As well we pay all of her health/retirement requirements (not required to pay all of it) and that's another $50. So for $270 a MONTH she cooks and cleans for us! But we give her Sat off and only make her work like 0900ish to 1400. And she is on the expensive side!! We had local Nicaraguans tell us we are paying her to much and should not be paying all her benefits! WOW She is super awesome, and yes we give her bonuses. AND she is SOOOOO grateful. $20 to u and I is not a lot. I give her $20 and she is over the moon, you would think she signed a multi million $$$ contract with the Calgary Flames!! She is super awesome. We have a pool guy and he gardens, and costs a whole $15 a week We lucked out with our staff. Some do steal!!

We have yet to real explore Nicaragua as we don't have a vehicle of our own, just borrowing one, so stick to the local area. Ours is now here, and should have it early this week, so we can get out and explore. Lot of volcanoes, markets to explore.

Managua is not a touristy place. But their are a lot of touristy places on the coast! You can stay in huge houses that are right on the beach, come with a staff of 3-5 and cost like $200 a night. I guess they are amazing. We will be checking them out soon. There are golf course, not many, I'm not a huge golfer, so haven't really checked them out.

Thankful our house has a back up generator, power goes off now and then. They say it has been better recently, some wonder maybe that's because of the upcoming election in Nov. Its pretty obvious who is going to win,lol

Its hot here all yr round! Right now the low temp is like 23C and the high is 33c!! Rainy season is from April to Nov, then its the dry season! It doesn't rain all day long. But when it rains it rains hard for like 30 min to an hr and some parts flash flood!!! But the majority of the day it is not raining, well that's my experience since we have been here. But the dry season is just that, no rain!!

I know the above seems a bit negative,lol but it feels full of life here. For the most part, people are friendly, the American $$$ goes far. BUT as aw white person--Gringo----they see u as $$$$$$$$. So be ready to be taken advantage of. My cook, can take a 6 mile cab ride for like $2. I go to the grocery store and back ttl of 2.5 miles (and the taxi waits for me) its like $10! lol But that's true for any country!!

The cappuccinos are superb, $3 get you something around a large size at USA Starbucks, BUT it tastes a lot better!! Our cook makes us Nica meals and they are very good. I speak no Spanish, so no clue what they are called,lol Luckily my wife is pretty much fluent!!

Their are NO addresses here! You use reference points! 1.5 km from Gallerias mall, etc etc,lol So you have to know the major reference points AND hope the other person knows them as well.

All in all, I'm loving the experience. The Nicaragua people have to put up with a lot. Nothing is easy for them, so I give them a round of applause. N D their beer and Rum is pretty good,lol And cheap!! At the convenience store a bottle of Tona beer is like 80 cents! Goto Price Smart(almost identical as Costco, have to have a membership and they have some Kirkland stuff), you can get 24 of Tona for 299 Cordobas which is about $13.25 or 0.55 cents a can!! And its good beer. The run is pretty good too!!

If ur ever thinking of visiting here, send me a PM and happy to pass on more info. Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Congratulations on the job CBM! Teaching jobs are tight everywhere it seems so even part-time is great! My oldest son just started his B.Ed year, fingers crossed there will be a rash of retirements next year or he'll be a well educated kitchen supervisor at Boston Pizza! :)

Sounds like an interesting time flames. I'm not sure I could survive a move like that but it's fun to live vicariously through your updates. :)

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Hey Flames! Thanks for all your updates. I'm enjoying reading about your adventure! It will be interesting to see what you grow accustomed to and what you just can't get used to after the novelty wears off a bit. Enjoy yourself! How are your dogs handling it?

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

Hey Flames! Thanks for all your updates. I'm enjoying reading about your adventure! It will be interesting to see what you grow accustomed to and what you just can't get used to after the novelty wears off a bit. Enjoy yourself! How are your dogs handling it?

I would say the novelty has worn off,lol I love it way more here than DC thats for sure!! Our 2 cats and 1 dog are fine! Cats love it as the house is much larger than our condo! They love the tiled floor. Cats are in heaven! Not a great place here to walk ones dog! Our vehicle has arrived now, so we will have more mobility and lot of beaches fairly close by and can take the dog there.

We can really get anything here than we can get in the USA and usually cheaper. Amazon ships stuff, walmart, petfooddirect etc etc!! Some things are more $$$, especially car insurance. Going to cost me like $1800 a yr to get ttl coverage on my 2011 CRV. Its all good.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I would say the novelty has worn off,lol I love it way more here than DC thats for sure!! Our 2 cats and 1 dog are fine! Cats love it as the house is much larger than our condo! They love the tiled floor. Cats are in heaven! Not a great place here to walk ones dog! Our vehicle has arrived now, so we will have more mobility and lot of beaches fairly close by and can take the dog there.

We can really get anything here than we can get in the USA and usually cheaper. Amazon ships stuff, walmart, petfooddirect etc etc!! Some things are more $$$, especially car insurance. Going to cost me like $1800 a yr to get ttl coverage on my 2011 CRV. Its all good.

Just pretend like you're back in Canada paying car ins :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Just pretend like you're back in Canada paying car ins :)

Even when I had my Acura Integra's, never paid anything like that (british columbia) Nicaragua I believe does not make it a law to have vehicle insurance. Many just get something very basic. Clemonts insurance I guess is world wide. What I found interesting, people we know got their car totalled. Clemonts gave them a cash pay out, AND they kept the totalled car! Labor is cheap here in Nica, Cost them like $2500 to fix the car!! So they got a cash out they were happy with AND kept the totalled car and was very cheap to fix considering the amount of damage!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

our trip to Canada and back was awesome.. well, the saying goodbye to my family part was not awesome :crying: ... We spent about 2 weeks there and had a great visit.. my little bros and sis have grown up so much.. I have missed out on a lot :(

I picked up a few food items that I had been missing, like alphagetti, all dressed chips and coffee crisps..

I showed just my green card both going into Canada and coming back into the US and I was let in with no problems... We drove across the border..

I might might might fly up there by myself around Christmas time.. depends on our finances..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.