Kathryn41

The Vent Part Quatre

1,192 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't feel bad--I know some VERY smart people--that have great common sense too,lol---Not get hired by Mcdonalds!! lol

Hope things turn around for ya!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

McDonald's doesn't hire smart people. They know they'll turn into bitter angry employees and blow up the place. Or pee in the fountain drinks.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol, thanks guys. :P

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

If it makes you or anyone else feel better, I had an interview for McDonalds in the UK and never got the job (when I was desperate to buy a plane ticket to see my husband).

And I claim to be a smart person who interviewed very well. :whistle:

Edited by Gemmie

Timeline

So I'm sure many people can sympathize with this...the economy sucks.

I have applied to every job down here I can think of that I am qualified for (except fast food places...yet) and so far, nothing but rejection emails if I'm lucky. I have years of customer service work, I'm good at what I do, and yet I can't even get a damn interview. I just got another rejection letter and I literally burst into tears. It feels like I'm never going to get a job, and I only have enough money for payments on my car till like next March...after that we are going to be screwed if I cant find something. Guess its time to start looking at McD's to see if any of them are hiring..not that I have much confidence that I'd even get an interview there.

Im afraid of this as well. I have always worked some form of customer service, be it on the phone, in a store, or as a manager for franchises. I have plenty of experience 10 years of which was at the same company. However, i have not worked in over a year. And the Chicagoland area is pretty damn packed for people looking for new jobs etc.

The only thing making this a little bit easier come next month, is that David finally got his promotion, and a pay raise for the first time in two years. After the last month of back and forth and him not knowing where he stood, he finally got his answer.

And of course our fist pay has to go to the vet now :( My dog Lex has developed some sort of allergy and we can't figure out what its from. He's been on benadryl for the last few days waiting for his vet appointment, but even that wont stop him from literally scratching his skin to shreds. We had to tie one of my shirts on him to stop him from scratching and will have to probably get blood tests done. I was pretty sure his food was fine, it's the Salmon and brown rice with no corn formula, but now with all the damn geese around here, i'm wondering if he picked something up from them on the grass. :( Poor poor puppy is soo itchy and upset he is ornery and barky and growling at everyone.

Too bad Wes can't get us jobs at blizzard eh? :P LOL then again..maybe i dont really wanna work for Activision lol.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been trying to find a nanny job and there isn't many to choose from and the ones that are available have crazy hours, they are too far away or they want to pay you 2 to 3 dollars an hour...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I want a job at Blizzard :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I want a job at Blizzard :)

that would be fun

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Don't feel too bad Danu, sometimes it just takes time to find the right opportunity. Our office is hiring right now for an entry level position, and they got over 200 responses to the add they put up on Craigslist. When you have 200 people applying for one job, it's really easy to fall through the cracks, even if you're educated and qualified. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of luck. They told me that when I was hired, it was the same situation. I guess I just had some luck on my side, after applying for dozens of jobs that got me nowhere. I'm sure you'll find something, March is a long time from now!

Speaking of McDonalds... I had a job interview at McDonald's when I was 17. The manager interviewing me started telling me all the things she would expect me to do. One of them was staying until 12am everyday to close. After she asked me if that is something I think I could do and I just looked at her and said, "No, not really, I'll pass" :lol: Then I ended up with a Tim Hortons job, which is really so much better... Or not really.

Timeline

Yeah I know that this particular one they had over 800 applications for 20 spots. It sucks though.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im afraid of this as well. I have always worked some form of customer service, be it on the phone, in a store, or as a manager for franchises. I have plenty of experience 10 years of which was at the same company. However, i have not worked in over a year. And the Chicagoland area is pretty damn packed for people looking for new jobs etc.

The only thing making this a little bit easier come next month, is that David finally got his promotion, and a pay raise for the first time in two years. After the last month of back and forth and him not knowing where he stood, he finally got his answer.

And of course our fist pay has to go to the vet now :( My dog Lex has developed some sort of allergy and we can't figure out what its from. He's been on benadryl for the last few days waiting for his vet appointment, but even that wont stop him from literally scratching his skin to shreds. We had to tie one of my shirts on him to stop him from scratching and will have to probably get blood tests done. I was pretty sure his food was fine, it's the Salmon and brown rice with no corn formula, but now with all the damn geese around here, i'm wondering if he picked something up from them on the grass. :( Poor poor puppy is soo itchy and upset he is ornery and barky and growling at everyone.

Too bad Wes can't get us jobs at blizzard eh? :P LOL then again..maybe i dont really wanna work for Activision lol.

My dogs have been like that as well. One came down with a really bad case of dandruff, and wasn't scratching so much, but when you scratched her back she was enjoying it a lot more than usual!! The other one has been more itchy, especially in his arm pits, mid belly and his back....he can't stop rolling around on the carpet!! They are both shedding more than usual too. I took them to the vet and they just gave a shampoo and conditioner with some benedryl and moisturizer in it. I am not there, but hubby said that they seem to be doing a lot better with that stuff. So hopefully it is a simple fix like that for you as well.

Timeline

I know that cats can develop allergies to fleas so that even one flea bite will set off an immune response that has them itching like crazy and literally scratching themselves bald. I don't know if dogs have that same tendency or not, but if so, that might be a possibility. They don't even need to have fleas, just have been bitten by one which easily happens when they go outside. It's called 'flea bite dermatitis'. We had one cat who was so allergic that she had to get cortisone shots every 3 months otherwise she would scratch herself to shreds. If that is the same thing with your dog, fortunately it is not expensive and easily remedied even if he does need to get the shots on a regular basis.

Anyway, I hope Lex feels much better soon.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Companies that are hiring

Just saw this link on msn and decided to post it here.

Someone should make an employment thread. It would be great for all people looking for a job to come in, talk about what they're doing, vent, give advice etc.

Happy searching! I'm sure something will come up for all of those looking.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Job Seeking Tip 'O The Day.

Search city websites for jobs. In the general area where I work (Greater L.A. Metro), hiring is based upon either merit, or taking some sort of general test. Police and fire departments are always hiring, even if you are not an officer, they always need support staff.

Oh right, another tip, although don't crucify me for this one, but ladies, hide your wedding ring when applying. I know quite a few women who swear by this tip. They suggest other measures, but I find sublte flirting with your interviewer to be appaling, and unfair to the male gender :lol:

Timeline

I'm a guy--and I wore a push up bra to my interview---worked wonders!! :thumbs:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.