Peace....

Just Wondering...

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OMG, you are the first light of hope that someone has written to me. I too thought that almony and child support was enough as well as my liquid assets in the bank and trust funds. And yes, it was court ordered. So, what about this co-sponsor thingy, do you think my ex husband will be allowed to do this. Does it really matter who co-sponsor's, lol, they will probably say this guy is over qualified, just my luck.

thank you and look forward to hearing from you again.

ANY US citizen or LPR can be a co-sponsor. Since it is Morroco and Morroco is notoriously difficult I would keep the ex-husband out of it entirely. You do not need a co-sponsor. Prove your child support and/or assets.

Now, there are a couple of caveats. I did make one small error in stating alimony would be counted. Alimony IS income, it is even TAXABLE income, BUT I presume the alimony will end when you get re-married, so that will not be considered an ongoing" source of income. Child support WILL be counted if it is to last at least 3 years from the time of the interview. IF for some reason the alimony will continue (it is an annuity on some source of income, a business for example)

ANYTHING else, such as 401k value (minus any penalty for early withdrawl) money in the bank, trust funds or any other asset is counted. Assets must be three times the income shortfall.

If you receive $20,000 in child support but need $24,000 to qualify, for example, you would need at least $12,000 in assets to equal the $4000 shortfall. From what you describe I see no reason for an a co-sponsor at all. Yes you can qualify on assets only, both for the I-134 and I-864. Assets must be documented with statements, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

ANY US citizen or LPR can be a co-sponsor. Since it is Morroco and Morroco is notoriously difficult I would keep the ex-husband out of it entirely. You do not need a co-sponsor. Prove your child support and/or assets.

Now, there are a couple of caveats. I did make one small error in stating alimony would be counted. Alimony IS income, it is even TAXABLE income, BUT I presume the alimony will end when you get re-married, so that will not be considered an ongoing" source of income. Child support WILL be counted if it is to last at least 3 years from the time of the interview. IF for some reason the alimony will continue (it is an annuity on some source of income, a business for example)

ANYTHING else, such as 401k value (minus any penalty for early withdrawl) money in the bank, trust funds or any other asset is counted. Assets must be three times the income shortfall.

If you receive $20,000 in child support but need $24,000 to qualify, for example, you would need at least $12,000 in assets to equal the $4000 shortfall. From what you describe I see no reason for an a co-sponsor at all. Yes you can qualify on assets only, both for the I-134 and I-864. Assets must be documented with statements, etc.

Ya know I was reading the I-864 form, and under Current Individual Annual Income, it says

"quote"

If your claimed income includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income,

or income from any other source, you may also include evidence of that income.

So you were right !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ya know I was reading the I-864 form, and under Current Individual Annual Income, it says

"quote"

If your claimed income includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income,

or income from any other source, you may also include evidence of that income.

So you were right !!

First, please please PLEASE learn how to use the forum software. You have numerous posts in this thread where you've attempted to quote someone else's post, and ended up submitting the quote without including any response, and then following with another post containing your response. When you click "Reply" under someone's post you'll get an edit text box containing their post inside quote tags, like this:

[quote name='blah blah blah etc']Stuff they wrote[/quote]

Just position the cursor before or after the block of quoted text and start typing, like this:

[quote name='blah blah blah etc']Stuff they wrote[/quote]

Here is my response to what you wrote.

Use the "Preview Post" button if you want to see what your post is going to look like before submitting it. Don't click "Add Reply" until your post is finished and ready to submit.

You have alimony now, and you could certainly declare the income from the alimony on the I-134. The consulate will likely totally disregard the alimony because they know that you will be married when you submit the green card application, and you won't be receiving that alimony any more. Therefore, the alimony provides no assurance whatever that your fiance will not become a public charge in the US, and THAT is what the consulate is charged with determining. You are literally interpreting the rules for a form which you aren't submitting yet, based on your financial situation now rather than what your financial situation will be when you actually get to the point of submitting that form.

People's opinions on the I-134 vary widely. This is because the consular officer has almost complete discretion in determining whether the applicant will become a public charge, and the results of this discretion have caused the outcome to vary widely from one consulate to another, and even from one case to another at the same consulate. Try to look at the big picture. Can you persuade the consulate, based on the financial evidence you can provide, that you can support your fiance at a minimum of 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size, and meet the requirements of the I-864 when you finally have to submit it? If so, your affidavit will probably be accepted.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Okay let me make this clear., I am from the U.S., My EX is from the U.S. and Mohammed is from Casablanca, Morocco. I am totally lost with your question regarding:

your quote:

To the OP, I don't think it's the income that have you posting, it seems as if there is something else that may be of concern to you. My question was asked because if the 3 of you are from the same country and if there is some type of family connection then will be come up for discussion in the interview.

What else do you find that is concerning to me???? I just wanted to know if my income was suitable and now I am being questioned about a family connection. Are you even reading any other postings that are being placed on my page? Other people seem to get what I am trying to ask but for some reason you keep going back to what is the connection with my ex? There is NO connection., we are not family LMBO

Darlene...You posted here for help, and the more you tried to explain, the more Private and financial details you had to give about your financial wealth and circumstances on a public board. I would not go into how much your ex has given you, etc. You never know who is reading this board for starters. Also it opens up for all kinds of thoughts and I too like Life-journey had wandered too what the connection is and we are not CO's. With our thoughts going in opposite direction, it can help you see what thoughts might too go through the CO's mind and Morocco consulate is TOUGH! They try everything to DENY these men from coming. They might not understand how a woman can live with an EX for 10 years and then meeta foreigner and fall in love. You know Morocco is very high in Fraud and Scams. Alot of these men are known to prey on the weak and emotional and lonely and wealthy. Because you may be wealthier than most, have not moved on in 10 years, and marrying a foreigner...They will most likely have lots of questions like anyone would. Please don't beat us up here on VJ. We are trying to understand and give opinions how we see things to HELP, not to HURT you. Some of us at VJ may not have a way of wording it sensitively. Just know and have your Fiance prepared to answer all these questions and how he will need to reply. Yes, some remain as much friends with the Ex's as possible with children involved but we usually don't continue living with the Ex's for 10 years for sake of the kids. I'm not saying you are wrong. It is your choice and you are giving up a lot financially to marry the love of your life. That too is a PLUS, but I am afraid if they know you have all this money...and they are looking for reasons to DENY, they may use your wealth against this man especially if he is poor or middle-class. They may even think and try to say you and the EX is only trying to help him come to USA because of Economical reasons since you still live with the Ex. ???? What are your thoughts?? You can privately e-mail me if you rather not discuss it here publically.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Darlene...You posted here for help, and the more you tried to explain, the more Private and financial details you had to give about your financial wealth and circumstances on a public board. I would not go into how much your ex has given you, etc. You never know who is reading this board for starters. Also it opens up for all kinds of thoughts and I too like Life-journey had wandered too what the connection is and we are not CO's.

I don't want to sound rude, but some of what you have said here is more than I would ever say. The fact that you have posted so much about your money makes me worry that you could be a target for someone with bad intentions. Please be careful with the amount of information you share online. There are a lot of conartists out there and they will do anything to get your money.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.