Captain Oates

Help my language please !!!

231 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Verging on a Bushism.

*shudder* I have no more to say about that.

I love finding Yorkshire words that express a whole sentence so I am not opposed to it. But the words must be original and not mutations.

eg THOIL = ' I can afford it but I can't bring myself to pay that because it isn't worth it'

as in 'It's ok but I can't thoil it'

NESH = feels cold more than the average

as in ' I am sweating cobs here but I have to sit next to her and she turns the heat up coz she is right nesh.

More of this please. All I can think of is a mash word pronounced "aagwan" from the east, as in "Oh fine just go ahead then and stop hemming and hawing or making excuses." Like Ah, go on. But I don't think that's the same exact thing.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

I heard the word drug used for the first time ever when I arrived here, it jumped right out at me, so I had to consult my husband who is quite pedantic about the correct usage of the English language ( I often roll my eyes when he corrects me, he tell me "it's your language honey, I'm just trying to help you preserve it" :hehe: ) He had to think about it for a moment or two it's a common word to him I guess, I think he felt sad for a while knowing that it didn't even sound wrong to him :lol:

Timeline

I heard the word drug used for the first time ever when I arrived here, it jumped right out at me, so I had to consult my husband who is quite pedantic about the correct usage of the English language ( I often roll my eyes when he corrects me, he tell me "it's your language honey, I'm just trying to help you preserve it" :hehe: ) He had to think about it for a moment or two it's a common word to him I guess, I think he felt sad for a while knowing that it didn't even sound wrong to him :lol:

Oh yeah. I live in mortal fear of some unknown blind spot in my own grammar nazi world. I'm sure I'm going to find out I've been spelling necessarily wrong all these years, or something. Keeps me up at night.

owl.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ooo qn. Supper. What is "supper" to you guys?

In Australia supper is a small/light meal after dinner, later in the day. We rarely have it. HERE (in Iowa) supper IS dinner and it drives me nuts when they ask what I would like for supper, or what I'm having for supper.

I keep telling myself I'm in a different country. They're not speaking English, they're speaking American just like French or German or whatever it's different so I try not to freak out. Yeah I know Australia English is not UK English so really I'm speaking Australian but I think we're similar enough (ignoring colloquialisms) in spelling and use that I can share your pain.

Don't even get me started on "ect" instead of "etc"... :S

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Oh yeah. I live in mortal fear of some unknown blind spot in my own grammar nazi world. I'm sure I'm going to find out I've been spelling necessarily wrong all these years, or something. Keeps me up at night.

'definately' gets me growling but it's only spelling so thats ok

'ok' is American so thank you guys for that coz it's very useful (guy refers to Guy Fawkes of course and is English in origin) as in 'some GUY tried to blow up OUR parliament'.

GUY was a religious fundamentalist terrorist murderer . Sort of a militia man - tree of liberty blah blah. A true patriot in his book. Things don't change much in 400 years. Even the torture when they caught him.

America does have a history - a lot of history - because it's a continuum of English history and I am going to make a note of every old word and new concoction from now on.

ps 'Yonder' is old English and is used in Mississippi at least. I like yonder. You won't hear that much in England outside the old timers in the North.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Ooo qn. Supper. What is "supper" to you guys?

In Australia supper is a small/light meal after dinner, later in the day. We rarely have it. HERE (in Iowa) supper IS dinner and it drives me nuts when they ask what I would like for supper, or what I'm having for supper.

I keep telling myself I'm in a different country. They're not speaking English, they're speaking American just like French or German or whatever it's different so I try not to freak out. Yeah I know Australia English is not UK English so really I'm speaking Australian but I think we're similar enough (ignoring colloquialisms) in spelling and use that I can share your pain.

Don't even get me started on "ect" instead of "etc"... :S

I think the answer is to call it American and not English. My 6pm big meal is 'tea'

I used to have supper before I went to bed as a kid. I would be 300 pounder if I did it now.

moresheep400100.jpg

I think "supper" is considered old-fashioned in most places in the U.S. I remember hearing it as a kid in the Boston area, but only certain people said it, and nearly all were wicked old (like, in their 60s). ;) I have a friend from Newfoundland who says it, but of course, she speaks not just Canadian but Newfie Canadian.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Timeline

I think "supper" is considered old-fashioned in most places in the U.S. I remember hearing it as a kid in the Boston area, but only certain people said it, and nearly all were wicked old (like, in their 60s). ;) I have a friend from Newfoundland who says it, but of course, she speaks not just Canadian but Newfie Canadian.

Yeah, my grandmother always referred to the evening meal as supper. I would call it dinner. I would call lunch, lunch. R calls dinner tea. I never eat breakfast so that's not an issue.

owl.jpg

My husband hates that us English say "in/to Hospital" (i.e. "I had to go to hospital") because the Americans say "at/in the hospital" (i.e. "I visited her at the hospital").

I do get some enjoyment out of him now speaking British though. So when clients call him, he often corrects them on their English, and uses me to back it up. :D

Edited by Gemmie

With my SO being here at the moment, I tend to find that I am often having to do some serious thinking about what in the devil he is actually saying...or having to interpret what it is he has said to others..... My favorite comment to him when he starts going on?......

Speak AMERICAN love!

You can stand me at the gates of hell, but I wont back down.
AOS Filed 02/01 however used wrong forms
refiled 2/22
NOA 3/1
BIO 3/18
Transfer 3/14
Touched 3/18
AP Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
EAD Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
GREEN CARD APPROVED WITH NO
INTERVIEW AND NO HAVING
TO TRANSCRIBE HIS SHOT RECORDS! 4/18!(WASN'T NOTIFIED TILL 4/19)

Applied for lifting of conditions 02/27/2013
NOA1 March 4
BIO April 2

RFE received 07/25

Returned RFE recieved 08/19

NOW WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH

APPROVED 9/9/2013

Showing your Masshole roots there, Joyce. ;)

I use supper and dinner interchangeably -- my family always called it supper when I was growing up. We're Connectishits. :D

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Showing your Masshole roots there, Joyce. ;)

I use supper and dinner interchangeably -- my family always called it supper when I was growing up. We're Connectishits. :D

Only if you're on the Yankees side of the Great Baseball Chasm. ;) Otherwise, Connecticut's not so bad.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ahhh funny story.

My husband told me recently he's been thinking "#######". I don't tend to swear too often but if I do it's usually "#######" or "buggeration". He realised at work one day when something went wrong he thought "oh #######" and decided it was "un-manly" or something. He then realised he's actually been saying it out loud as well :P He said "I don't know how I feel about it, but I don't think I like it" :S... I meanwhile, laughed :P

Dinner/tea is what my family calls it. It's always been "dinner" as a formal way or "tea" as an informal way of saying it. My dad's OLD Scottish but he's been here a while so a lot of the common sayings have faded. There are some damn funny poems and sayings though... one of them involves cats, a fiddle, a drum, and pancakes :P

Only if you're on the Yankees side of the Great Baseball Chasm. ;) Otherwise, Connecticut's not so bad.

NO NO NO

I was raised in the Church of Ted Williams, thank you VERY much. mad.gif We do not speak the name of the Evil Empire in my household.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

NO NO NO

I was raised in the Church of Ted Williams, thank you VERY much. mad.gif We do not speak the name of the Evil Empire in my household.

Yay! May all the Evil Yankees have career-ending injuries this weekend. Amen.

Edited by Empress of Groovy

K-1

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.