Casper&Diana

Some Kiev Interview Minutiae

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I hope these don't seem to trivial but as my interview date is now 3 weeks away I want to make sure I have all the "i's" dotted. So:

1. My interview is on the 24th (June) and I know the arguments about buying tickets prematurely but I'm going to take the chance. My question though is, how long does it take to get the 'visa-ful' passport back to Donetsk? I know the embassy says 7-10 biz days but if we pass on Thursday can we reasonably expect FedEx to deliver to Donetsk on or before the next Thursday? (The fly home tickets are for the next day, Friday!)

2. I am getting a fiancée-soon-to-be-wife and a 14 y.o. step-son as a bonus! The I-134 Instructions say: “If you are sponsoring more than one alien, you must submit a separate Form I-134 for each alien.” Does 'more than one alien' include dependent minors too? Or will only the I-134 for the mother be sufficient?

3. While we're on the I-134, item 8 says to list all people dependent on me. I assume that means my minor daughters but should I also include the child support I have been paying my ex-wife for the last 15 years too? (Half ends next year and the rest in 2 more years. Yay!)

4. More forms: On the DS-156, item 40 it asks if anyone filled out the form for the applicant. Well, it was just easier if I did it for Diana. Should I say that on the form (Relationship = Fiancé) or just pretend she filled it out? Any red flags there?

5. The medical exam instructions say to bring "3 full frontal view photographs 50 x 50 mm." I assume they mean passport-style full-face photos but do they really mean 'full frontal' i.e., head to toe photos?

6. We've been filling out forms and gathering documents to prepare for the interview based on VJ posts (primarily) and the Kiev embassy website. Though the embassy acknowledged receipt of our packet on May 25th (and scheduled our interview) by telephone we have received nothing from the embassy via email or snail mail (though that could take some time in UA). Should we be getting something? Will we need anything from the embassy that we will need to take back to the embassy for the interview?

Ok, I have another line of thought I want to pursue with y'all but that will be a different thread. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope these don't seem to trivial but as my interview date is now 3 weeks away I want to make sure I have all the "i's" dotted. So:

1. My interview is on the 24th (June) and I know the arguments about buying tickets prematurely but I'm going to take the chance. My question though is, how long does it take to get the 'visa-ful' passport back to Donetsk? I know the embassy says 7-10 biz days but if we pass on Thursday can we reasonably expect FedEx to deliver to Donetsk on or before the next Thursday? (The fly home tickets are for the next day, Friday!)

2. I am getting a fiancée-soon-to-be-wife and a 14 y.o. step-son as a bonus! The I-134 Instructions say: “If you are sponsoring more than one alien, you must submit a separate Form I-134 for each alien.” Does 'more than one alien' include dependent minors too? Or will only the I-134 for the mother be sufficient?

3. While we're on the I-134, item 8 says to list all people dependent on me. I assume that means my minor daughters but should I also include the child support I have been paying my ex-wife for the last 15 years too? (Half ends next year and the rest in 2 more years. Yay!)

4. More forms: On the DS-156, item 40 it asks if anyone filled out the form for the applicant. Well, it was just easier if I did it for Diana. Should I say that on the form (Relationship = Fiancé) or just pretend she filled it out? Any red flags there?

5. The medical exam instructions say to bring "3 full frontal view photographs 50 x 50 mm." I assume they mean passport-style full-face photos but do they really mean 'full frontal' i.e., head to toe photos?

6. We've been filling out forms and gathering documents to prepare for the interview based on VJ posts (primarily) and the Kiev embassy website. Though the embassy acknowledged receipt of our packet on May 25th (and scheduled our interview) by telephone we have received nothing from the embassy via email or snail mail (though that could take some time in UA). Should we be getting something? Will we need anything from the embassy that we will need to take back to the embassy for the interview?

Ok, I have another line of thought I want to pursue with y'all but that will be a different thread. Thanks!

1) Maybe

2) A minor is an alien as well

3) I only included those that I got to claim as dependents on my 1040

6) My wife has been here 3 years.... we are still waiting for the embassy packet to arrive at our flat in Kherson. Everything you need is on the website....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We had our interview on a Thursday and the passport with visa was delivered to our apartment in Donetsk the next Monday. I know other people have taken up to a week for normal delivery with no "problems"

If you can stay in Kiev a couple days, go to the Fedex office and pick it up. That is almost always the fastest way.

Yes he needs his own I-134 with supporting documents. When we interviewed for Alla and our (at that time) 13 year old I submitted TWO I-134s. WITH all suppoting documentation, they detached the documentation from both of them and kept ONLY the I-134. DO NOT expect them to do the same for you. Have them prepared with everything. He is 14 so he MUST attend the interview but he does not need a police certificate. He DOES need a permission letter from the father, but I suppose you have that covered.

He also needs all the forms, the medical exam, the visa fee (now $350 each as of June 4) etc. Basically a duplicate of her documents EXCEPT the DS-156K.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

We had our interview on a Thursday and the passport with visa was delivered to our apartment in Donetsk the next Monday. I know other people have taken up to a week for normal delivery with no "problems"

If you can stay in Kiev a couple days, go to the Fedex office and pick it up. That is almost always the fastest way.

Yes he needs his own I-134 with supporting documents. When we interviewed for Alla and our (at that time) 13 year old I submitted TWO I-134s. WITH all suppoting documentation, they detached the documentation from both of them and kept ONLY the I-134. DO NOT expect them to do the same for you. Have them prepared with everything. He is 14 so he MUST attend the interview but he does not need a police certificate. He DOES need a permission letter from the father, but I suppose you have that covered.

He also needs all the forms, the medical exam, the visa fee (now $350 each as of June 4) etc. Basically a duplicate of her documents EXCEPT the DS-156K.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Sorry, my computer went crazy and I did not even mean to hit "post" yet. :lol:

3. List your daughters. Count them in your family size. Do not list child support.

4. Not important. I did all the documents, Alla signed them. The child can sign them or the mother can sign them for him. IF she signs it, she should sign "Betty Boop, Mother of minor child Tommy Boop" She should not attempt to "sign his name"

5. Yes, passport photos. Get penty, we used the same ones for everything, you will need mor for the AOS, if you are getting some done, get lots.

6. Do not expect anything from the consualte. We never got anything and went through this twice for 3 people. You do not need anything from the consulate, just bring yourselves, your passports and your documents.

5 identical responses? either computer issues or you are trying to drive home a point... :)

I swear...I was just typing away my response and the computer started making that "clicking" sound it makes when you post...over and over again! I guess I hit the jackpot!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

6) My wife has been here 3 years.... we are still waiting for the embassy packet to arrive at our flat in Kherson. Everything you need is on the website....

:lol: Funny, when Alla got to Donetsk and called me I asked...so how is everything there, everything OK? You OK? You know, the usual...then

"Is there anything in the mail from the consulate?" :P Two years for us and nothing yet.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

And Casper, the attitude that the son is a BONUS is very true and very good. Best of luck to all of you. I have a great time with the boys and they truly are a bonus. They can be a great source of enjoyment and a great source of binding you and your wife together. Make the most of it. Great fun!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

And Casper, the attitude that the son is a BONUS is very true and very good. Best of luck to all of you. I have a great time with the boys and they truly are a bonus. They can be a great source of enjoyment and a great source of binding you and your wife together. Make the most of it. Great fun!

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, I don't know who's more excited, me or Denys. I called a buddy of mine today and told him not to change the clutch on his truck until I got back from UA with Denys so we can show him how to do it too!

I've got two most wonderful daughters but I can't wait to have someone who will actually want to go to the boat show with me! Denys and my girls got to meet in Mexico at Thanksgiving and had a great time together. So they get a brother and he gets sisters. (poor kid)

What's really amazing to me is the ex-husband and what he is losing: the most wonderful woman I have ever met and a great kid. And the ex- doesn't even know it. Denys needs a Dad and I need a son. Everyone wins!

post-81772-12755412874698_thumb.jpg

Timeline

:lol: Ok, we won't wait for anything from the embassy!

Timeline

Sorry, my computer went crazy and I did not even mean to hit "post" yet. :lol:

3. List your daughters. Count them in your family size. Do not list child support.

4. Not important. I did all the documents, Alla signed them. The child can sign them or the mother can sign them for him. IF she signs it, she should sign "Betty Boop, Mother of minor child Tommy Boop" She should not attempt to "sign his name"

5. Yes, passport photos. Get penty, we used the same ones for everything, you will need mor for the AOS, if you are getting some done, get lots.

6. Do not expect anything from the consualte. We never got anything and went through this twice for 3 people. You do not need anything from the consulate, just bring yourselves, your passports and your documents.

Thanks, guys. That's exactly the insight I was hoping for! I'm surprised that I will need to duplicate everything for the dependent son but will do. I'll bring Denys to the interview and already have the signed, notarized, and translated document from the father to take Denys out of the country for the purpose of immigration. I think we're good!

I swear...I was just typing away my response and the computer started making that "clicking" sound it makes when you post...over and over again! I guess I hit the jackpot!

Timeline

:lol:

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, I don't know who's more excited, me or Denys. I called a buddy of mine today and told him not to change the clutch on his truck until I got back from UA with Denys so we can show him how to do it too!

I've got two most wonderful daughters but I can't wait to have someone who will actually want to go to the boat show with me! Denys and my girls got to meet in Mexico at Thanksgiving and had a great time together. So they get a brother and he gets sisters. (poor kid)

What's really amazing to me is the ex-husband and what he is losing: the most wonderful woman I have ever met and a great kid. And the ex- doesn't even know it. Denys needs a Dad and I need a son. Everyone wins!

f he is anything like Allas ex he doesn't come out of a drunken stupor long enough to notice.

And people wonder why I am always smiling. You get it!

I started a little business for the boys that we did last summer. I bought cars at auction and we fixed them up together, I paid them $10 per hour for their work, then we sold the cars. We did about 8 cars that way. Pasha was 14 and no one wanted to hire him for a regular job. So he got to work on cars. Now we have a new house and it has a "MIL apartment" above the garage which was never finished. So when Sergey gets here for the summer, that is our summer project for me and the boys. They will change windows, insulate, sheetrock, flooring, everything! even build new steps and we will see if Mr. Physics major can calculate the cuts for a set of step stringers! :P It will be their place to "chill" and we won't have to hear the music and video game noises! :dance: Both of them love fishing, Pasha is a nut for snowboarding (Sergey hasn't been here in winter yet) and they go swim in the lake every day. Alla worries just a bit about them using power tools and things, but she is very happy they have a "man" to do "man things" with and that they are learning to fix things and build things which she considers "gold".

This year Pasha has a regular job and we have a short summer job lined up for Sergey, plus we will work on the garage room.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.