TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaw went to the embassy today, Monday, to see why they tried to call her Friday. So she got to the embassy about 1:30, got in by showing them on her phone that they tried to call. He sent her back out while he checked her case, then called her back in and said SHE GOT THE VISA and told her to wait out front until 3pm. So at that time they called her back in and gave her the packet and visa and she went outside and called and woke me to tell me. She said 3 AP cases got visas yesterday.

So now the planning starts as I have to see when I can get off work for two weeks to go over and get her, spend time in Buriram with the family and move some of her stuff back up there.

Now I can finally rest easy and quit worrying when they will get off their butts.

Tom-

Congratulations!! After all you have been through it was really good to see things finally worked out. Here's a funny story for you. Bud was picking up her visa that day around that time. I was talking to her on the phone and she was telling me about some of the ladies that she was outside talking to. She didn't get the name but was describing a lady from Buriram that was there getting her visa and had been in AP for 6 months and made multiple trips to the embassy for interviews. I think that was probably Teaw. Small world I guess.

Best of luck getting over to Thailand. I know what you mean trying to swing the time off. I wish I could go get Bud but there just isn't going to be any way I am going to be able to take leave right now. She's going to have to come over on her own unfortunately. She's travelled to Japan several times in the past so I'm not worried about her travelling alone but it really would be good to be with her when she goes through immigration.

I hope things go well fo you in the future. Take care.

Brian

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, Herk, that probably was Teaw and she said she talked to a few other ladies that got their visas that day. But we weren't in AP for 6 months although it felt like a year or so. Only since Mar 24 after her first interview.

On the really good side, I got confirmation that I can take off work and be covered from Aug 16th for two weeks so I am heading over to bring Teaw back. The only time she has flown is when we went to Phuket in Dec so I don't want her flying all that way and trying to go through immigration alone so I feel better being able to go over and get her. She is excited and chatted it up with the ladies at work all night and I hope to get all her friends together for dinner again before we go up to Buriram to see family before she leaves.

More positive news, it appears my dad can come home Wed from the hosp which is good news. He will need a hosp bed for awhile and physical therapy and a nurse to check on him a few times a week and I am sure my mom is going to be exhausted for awhile but their long term care insurance and health insurance will take care of all this stuff that needs to be done. So it's been a pretty good day overall.

I am really looking forward to Teaw being here. We discussed her missing her family again but she said even though she will miss them she will not want to go home but wants to be here with her "husband"!! So I think she will be fine...and we talked about setting up something so her brother can pay for getting online from Buriram so we can do emails and chat and keep in touch. Like maybe AIS has a way to pay for internet time online so he can log on with the modem we bought him.

Man, it's time for relaxation and bed!!! It's been a longggggggggggg exhausting day. Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. I feel pretty good it's going to work out real good with Teaw. She is a really great, sweet, loving lady.

Timeline

Shucks, had to make a slight change in plans. Checking airfares and getting a ticket for Teaw on the same flights back with me proved to be not only very expensive due to high airfares, but hard to get on the same flight home as many were sold out on AA who I prefer to fly with. So I have switched to leaving Sept 4th for the two weeks and it saves me over $1000 in airfare and plenty of room on flights to get us both on the same return. Just love playing these games!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Shucks, had to make a slight change in plans. Checking airfares and getting a ticket for Teaw on the same flights back with me proved to be not only very expensive due to high airfares, but hard to get on the same flight home as many were sold out on AA who I prefer to fly with. So I have switched to leaving Sept 4th for the two weeks and it saves me over $1000 in airfare and plenty of room on flights to get us both on the same return. Just love playing these games!!!!

Just a thought - Now that you have the txt for 9/4, wait a day or two, call the airline and ask if they can be changed to an earlier date. I've done that in the past (calling every few days since airfares change) and have sometimes been able to change to the original date I wanted (sometimes FOC, sometimes for $100 per ticket). Even if $100 per ticket, saved the initial $1,000!

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

That's not a bad idea John but AA charges $150 to change and part of the problem was many of the flights were sold out for the dates in August I wanted to go so I could not get a decent price for the same flight I can get for Teaw through the site I will book hers, which gives cheaper one way tickets than AA does. I have looked at many different scenarios...one way for me, buying two one ways on the other site and the availability of flights and prices drop drastically after Sept 1st.

And the other problem was coverage at work since I had not put in far enough in advance. So I have to make sure someone can fill in for me in court when I am gone and the Sept. date actually works better for the powers that be!! So I can't say I am going in Sept and then change it at the last minute if I could change the ticket. Sigh!!! I'll just have to wait 6 weeks but the money I save will pay for the AOS for sure so that will work out good. And I'll be taking trials which means appeals, which means more $$$ for when she gets here and when we go back in Dec. So in a way it works out a little better money wise since I have no appeals presently and caught up with my extra work, which is also very nice to be at times. Am I justifying the change??? Hahaha....I guess I am. It also gives Teaw more time to arrange to get moved up to Buriram and back down to BKK to meet me at the airport. So I think it might work out better for her too...and besides, on Aug 7th it's bonus time at work and it might not look good if she quit a day or two after getting the bonus if I was still going to go in Aug. :D

Timeline

Just received my NOA2 today!!! Wow, cannot describe how happy I am. Thanks all of you for being so patient and giving information on the process thus far. I really don't know how I could have made it through without all your time and info.

Question for you all who have recently scheduled interviews, how long have you been experiencing for interview wait time at the Bangkok embassy?

Thanks much!

Timeline

That's not a bad idea John but AA charges $150 to change and part of the problem was many of the flights were sold out for the dates in August I wanted to go so I could not get a decent price for the same flight I can get for Teaw through the site I will book hers, which gives cheaper one way tickets than AA does. I have looked at many different scenarios...one way for me, buying two one ways on the other site and the availability of flights and prices drop drastically after Sept 1st.

And the other problem was coverage at work since I had not put in far enough in advance. So I have to make sure someone can fill in for me in court when I am gone and the Sept. date actually works better for the powers that be!! So I can't say I am going in Sept and then change it at the last minute if I could change the ticket. Sigh!!! I'll just have to wait 6 weeks but the money I save will pay for the AOS for sure so that will work out good. And I'll be taking trials which means appeals, which means more $$$ for when she gets here and when we go back in Dec. So in a way it works out a little better money wise since I have no appeals presently and caught up with my extra work, which is also very nice to be at times. Am I justifying the change??? Hahaha....I guess I am. It also gives Teaw more time to arrange to get moved up to Buriram and back down to BKK to meet me at the airport. So I think it might work out better for her too...and besides, on Aug 7th it's bonus time at work and it might not look good if she quit a day or two after getting the bonus if I was still going to go in Aug. :D

Tom-

Hopefully this doesn't break any forum rules. I was wondering if you would be willing to share the website that you were planning to buy her ticket? I was just about to click "buy" for Bud's ticket when I saw your post. I would love to check it out. Airfare has gone up quite a bit even since I went there to visit this last Apr. If you can't share it, no big deal. Thanks.

Brian

Congratulations all who have gotten Visa!

Tom-- I prefer American too but what I did to make it easy was have her fly Thai air direct from Bangkok to LAX and then I met here there and we flew AA on. I couldn't get away either. It's pretty easy on the direct flight that way.

Timeline

Tom-

Hopefully this doesn't break any forum rules. I was wondering if you would be willing to share the website that you were planning to buy her ticket? I was just about to click "buy" for Bud's ticket when I saw your post. I would love to check it out. Airfare has gone up quite a bit even since I went there to visit this last Apr. If you can't share it, no big deal. Thanks.

Brian

Brian, www.asiatravel.com

Dave, I'd love to do that but her family wants to see me before she comes here and I want to take her brother, nephew and niece shopping too. And hey, she can't be without me, ya know? HAHA!!!

Edited by Tom and Teaw

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just received my NOA2 today!!! Wow, cannot describe how happy I am. Thanks all of you for being so patient and giving information on the process thus far. I really don't know how I could have made it through without all your time and info.

Question for you all who have recently scheduled interviews, how long have you been experiencing for interview wait time at the Bangkok embassy?

Thanks much!

The problems are 1) it is summer time when applications go up (so I have read) and 2) because the Embassy was shut down from May 14-24 the Embassy says it is very far behind in scheduling interviews.

The email they sent me said it will be 8-10 weeks after receiving Packet 3 before they can schedule the interview. Then I do not know how far out that interview will be. The Embassy did not say.

My fiancee told me tonight (Thursday morning her time) that she read the exact same Embassy response from a Thai lady posting to usvisa4thai.

I am not sure I believe the 8-10 weeks. It is somewhat like being in AP for interview scheduling.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Audy_Rob, I think the best idea of what is really happening will come from the girls on visa4thai. That seems to be the kept pretty up to date on what is happening at the embassy. Teaw followed a lot of stuff in there and it was a good barometer of where we thought we were in the AP process. Although I really think the letter I sent and the congressman's letter got them moving a little faster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Audy_Rob, I think the best idea of what is really happening will come from the girls on visa4thai. That seems to be the kept pretty up to date on what is happening at the embassy. Teaw followed a lot of stuff in there and it was a good barometer of where we thought we were in the AP process. Although I really think the letter I sent and the congressman's letter got them moving a little faster.

Yea, I agree. Audy is good about keeping up with usvisa4thai. She seems to enjoy reading the gossip. It is OK for me because I am really busy at work now. I hope that by the time the interview is scheduled I will be able to get some time off and go see her before the interview to help arrange all the documents and evidence.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Herk, I just bought our tickets and found Teaw's one way cheaper on AA than using the other site as they added service charges and stuff. Of course I am going early Sept. and prices drop in Sept so I got

both flights a lot cheaper. The AA one way had lower taxes and of course no service charge. Not sure what airline you are using and still might be cheaper on the other site.

Timeline

Herk, I just bought our tickets and found Teaw's one way cheaper on AA than using the other site as they added service charges and stuff. Of course I am going early Sept. and prices drop in Sept so I got

both flights a lot cheaper. The AA one way had lower taxes and of course no service charge. Not sure what airline you are using and still might be cheaper on the other site.

Tom-

Thanks for the advice. I checked out that site but unfortunately they were a little higher this time than a deal I found at another online site. I will keep that site saved to the favorites to compare for any future trips. After a lot of searching (and cursing) I was able to find a deal that only cost a finger instead of my whole arm. I am still suffering from sticker shock but I'm sure I will forget all about the fare price when she gets here. Now it's just a matter of counting the days and getting my wreck of a house cleaned up. Don't want her see the place for the first time only to discover that it's a complete sty.

Thanks again and I hope Sep. gets here quickly for you.

Timeline

Watch out for homesickness. Ann works in biotech and had traveled all over the world before she met me, so she had a lot of experience with other cultures. Her personality is not very "Thai" in terms of most things. She's not especially religious. She didn't live with her parents. But even then, she was very homesick for a few months. I have even seen cases in which things didn't work out because of it, so be careful.

Quite true especialy if they're from the city. There aren't 10 people right outside your door on any given day to talk to so living in the suburbs can be isolating to them. Major culture shock with values (people don't really care what others think here where it's all the rage over there). No such thing as rushing a Thai wife out the door to go somewhere like an American one.

We do have a garden I preplanted her foods in; that was one of the best things I've done. We have at least 200 basil plants and 30 hot pepper plants :devil:

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.