TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, that sucks!! I don't get the distinction....if you are here on a K-1 and you get it right after you arrive or wait until later...what does it prove? Nothing. A person could stay here illegally and have a SSI card after the 90 days. Oh, well, I guess they shouldn't have waited so long to do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

On another note, a friend in Chicago took his wife to get her SSI and they would not issue it saying the I-94 was past the 90 days and they had to wait until she had a green card. I am wondering if anyone else had that happen. I would think you can get your SSI anytime as long as you show you were admitted here legally. Anyone know if that's true after the I-94 has expired? They waited to get married right before it expired.

Technically, they need to wait for either the EAD or the GC, whichever comes first, as they both provide work authorization and therefore qualify the holder to receive a SSN. Your friends will want to make sure they file for the EAD (comes much faster than GC interview in virtually all cases). It will be much easier to file taxes with the SSN than going the ITIN route.

John

Edited by rin and john

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

Thanks, John. I think they are about ready to file the AOS papers so I'll email him and make sure he does them all at the same time to avoid paying later. Even though she won't be working since she is pregnant it's nice to have the EAD and they can at least use it to get the SSI sooner.

Timeline

Teaw had her biometrics yesterday. Turns out the USCIS office if not too far from where we live. But with the snow/sleet/freezing rain we had I left with plenty of time to spare. The roads weren't that bad so we

got there pretty quick and they took her right in and processed her. She was out in about 20 min with her paper stamped. So now we wait for the EAD, advanced parole and interviews!! And she wants to learn to drive!!!

Which is fine except she can barely drive a motorbike!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd give a quick update. Mimi and I got married at the Excalibur's wedding chapel the Tuesday after Thanksgiving - small wedding just my mother-in-law and my immediate family. The wedding was cheap ($250 package), but the pictures were expensive ($300 just for the CD - otherwise you get one 8*10 print). We stayed four nights in Vegas at the Excalibur. Mimi doesn't gamble and I didn't really have time but I managed to play in one very small poker tournament at the Excalibur's poker room and dumped about $20 into a slot machine.

Vegas was colder than I've ever experienced in that city - freezing at night and 50s during the day. I know some of you are probably dealing with snow but I grew up in the desert so it was very cold for me and definitely way too cold for Thai people:) The last day we were there it warmed up a bit so we walked up the Vegas strip, saw the hotels, did a little shopping, and grabbed lunch at PF Chang's (this was the closest to real Chinese food they've experienced - both gave it the thumbs up). The last night in Vegas we saw the Lion King - quite a musical production - everyone loved it (and we had front row tickets I bought months in advance so that helped).

After four nights in Vegas, we drove to Anaheim Thursday for four nights in a hotel across the street from Disneyland. The first night I drove to "Thai Town" in Hollywood. There are a few restaurants and a grocery store - they mainly wanted to go to get hard to find Thai ingredients from the grocery store there. There is a book store right outside the grocery store that carries Mimi's favorite weekly Thai gossip (oops I mean "news") magazine. The store's proprietor said that he would ship her the magazine once a month (I can't remember the price but I think for 3-4 issues of the magazine shipped to our house it would be $15-20 so very reasonable). We ate at a good Thai place and then drove to China Town in downtown LA. We just drove through China town since it was getting late and they already got the groceries they were looking for at the Thai market.

I think the trip to and through LA/Hollywood was an eye opener for both Mimi and her mother. They had a glamorous view of both cities from movies and TV shows but when they saw all the trash on the side of the freeway, the horrible smog and traffic, and then the downtrodden areas that are Thai and China town they were happy that we lived in Phoenix. Thai town particularly was a rough neighborhood. The grocery store had an armed guard at the front door - that was a little scary.

Friday we spent the day in Disneyland and both Mimi and her mother were very impressed - her Mom asked why we didn't spend more time there and less time in Las Vegas. We took an all day bus tour of LA on Saturday (Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, Walk of Fame, etc.). Sunday we spent the day at the newer Disney park across from Disneyland called California Adventures. We had a long drive home on Monday - everyone came home tired but happy with the trip. More to come about life with two Thai women:)

Mike

Edited by ArizonaMike74

NOA1 Received at CSC 11-23-09

NOA2 04-21-10

NVC Received 04-28-10 placed under "Administrative Review"

Bangkok Embassy Received Case File 05-24-10

Bangkok Embassy Received Packet3 06-30-10

Received Packet4 Email 08-19-10

Interview Date 09-07-10

Visa Approved!

Arrived in America November 5th, 2010

Married Nov 30th, 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi guys Gif and i finally tied the knot yesterday in albuquerque,Nm.Everything went great after we had our POE at SFO on November 30th.We are now preparing all the documents so we can start AOS in early January.Gif is not homesick which is a huge surprise for me.She calls her family at least once a week and most times i am the one who encourages her to speak more with her family.We have found a supermarket her in albuquerque that stocks thai food so we kinda doing food shopping every 2 weeks. :dance:

congrats on your marriage...arizona mike and to you and gif as well, bless 1010. wish you lifetime of happiness and an easy transition for your wives in a new country.

@arizona mike are you anywhere near chandler? there are quite a few thai people there, some solid restaurants and grocery ingredients as well.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

congrats on your marriage...arizona mike and to you and gif as well, bless 1010. wish you lifetime of happiness and an easy transition for your wives in a new country.

Wives? Now I know why he lives in Arizona... I heard they ran all of the polygamists out of Utah. :D

Wives? Now I know why he lives in Arizona... I heard they ran all of the polygamists out of Utah. :D

hey smarty pants! two congrats in there bless1010 and arizona mike got married.

*english is not my first language so pardon my poor grammar. :lol:

and as i understand it one wife is enough trouble who would want more than one. girls are a pain in the backside

ROC Timeline

calendar reset

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

*english is not my first language so pardon my poor grammar. :lol:

Really? I always thought that you were native American.

and as i understand it one wife is enough trouble who would want more than one. girls are a pain in the backside

Not sure, but there are definitely a lot of mia noi's back in Thailand...

Edited by toma1

Really? I always thought that you were native American.

ha! my ancestors were not at the first thanksgiving :whistle:

actually i am a crba baby...my mom is california born and bred but my dad is from hong kong and that's where i'm from, didn't come to the u.s. until i was 12. interestingly enough my mom has some castillian roots so she spoke spanish to me as a kid and my dad and family are cantonese speakers.

my parents spoke english to one another but my mom put forth a concerted effort to learn chinese (she just wasn't good at it beyond understanding the basics) but not to me, they thought i would be better off learning english last.

ROC Timeline

calendar reset

Well I am Native America and english is my second native lang. tred sofly here..

Congrats to both of you newly weds....and have a life time of happiness !!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.