Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you all so much. I will start reading tonight!! Thanksssss!!!!!!!

K1

1/22/07: I-129F sent to CSC

1/23/07: I-129F packet received and signed for at 9:45A.M.!!

1/29/07: NOA1

4/27/07: NOA2

5/01/07: NOA2 Hardcopy received

5/10/07: Approval arrives at NVC

5/14/07: Leaves NVC

5/17/07: Arrives at Bogota, Colombia

5/18/07: Packet 3 faxed to Embassy

5/22/07: Packet 3 sent via courier

5/30/07: Wendy receives packet 3 (Good thing we used the shortcut)

6/04/07: Packet 4 received

7/03/07: Medical appt. scheduled

7/05/07: Interview!!!! VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

7/09/07: Visa in hand!!!

7/11/07: Point of Entry at LAX, complete success!!!!!!!!!!

7/24/07: Married!!!

AOS & EAD

07/27/07: Filed for AOS & EAD

08/02/07: Arrives at Chicago

09/10/07: NOA1

09/11/07: Social Security card in hand

10/12/07: Biometrics appointment

10/25/07: EAD Approved

01/23/08: Interview = APPROVED

02/02/08: Green Card received...10 day turn around, not bad!!!

Removing Conditions

11/12/09: Mailed to CSC!

11/13/09: Arrives at CSC!

11/16/09: NOA1

11/18/09: Check Cashed!

12/14/09: Biometrics

01/07/10: Card Production Ordered (APPROVED)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Thank you all so much. I will start reading tonight!! Thanksssss!!!!!!!
Good idea, my friend. Also, be sure to focus on information related to the K1 process - the process you are in. It is easy to become confused by reading information about the K3 or CR1 processes. While there are similarities, there are also many important differences. Don't start preparing forms unless you are certain they apply to your specific visa. Best of luck!

Timeline

I'm thinking that this is an idea for a new topic, but I wanted input from the Colombia Club members first. I am the type of person who tends to think sequentially - at least it helps me keep things straight - and to that end, I would like to see a comprehensive listing of links to specific topics. For example, a lot of the same questions get asked over and over about "what's in packet 3?", "what's the timeline for process X?". If we could compile a list of those common questions with concise answers or links (preferably), I think it would be really helpful to newcomers. Current members could place a link to that list (as a topic link) in their 'signature'.

An example or start for such a topic page might be as follows:

US Embassy in Bogota - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsmane.shtml

Immigrant Visas General Information (including K1 and K3) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsmane.shtml

Consular Section FAQ (the people who will handle the visa request) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwscivfrequen....shtml#currency

Interview Appointment Schedule (Bogota only) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwscappointmentlist.shtml

Visa Process for CR-1, K1, K3 - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwschowtobeginvisaprocess.shtml

Packet 3 Contents for K3 - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsck3k4instructions.shtml

There are certainly other links to be included. Those with more experience here would know those better than me, but at least this list might be a start. Agree or disagree????

Edited by parkpapa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nothing wrong with the idea. It appears the embassy website is better now, but still not perfect. There was information on there that conflicted...or that wasn't updated in certain areas (for example, when they changed the place where you pay the interivew fee, in some places they changed it to Banco Credito, but in other places it still listed the old bank). So, having the links would be a start, but I would STILL encourage every person who is getting a K-1 or K-3 through Bogota to go back to November posts to this thread and read forward. It may take a lot of time, but you'll get some great info...and it might actually que someone to ask a question that he or she never thought of. I encourage people to take notes. Some folks on here are simply not willing to read...they ask a question (that's been covered a million times) and want instant reponse. Some other folks keep asking the same things, even though they've gotten the same reply from several other folks...seems they just can't believe what to do. I guess you just can't help those folks. But if the average person is willing to put in the time and is willing to believe those that have gone before him or her....this thread is very helpful.

My two cents,

Mike

PS - it's also good that folks who have benefitted from the info in the past stick around long enough to help the new people....that perpetuates the "goodness" of this thread. For me, I got a lot of help in last fall....and I've tried to give back ever since. But it gets tiresome and I, like many (for example, Peter who started this thread), get tired and need to move on. So hopefully folks who are benefitting now will stick around for a few months or so to help those who come after them.

I'm thinking that this is an idea for a new topic, but I wanted input from the Colombia Club members first. I am the type of person who tends to think sequentially - at least it helps me keep things straight - and to that end, I would like to see a comprehensive listing of links to specific topics. For example, a lot of the same questions get asked over and over about "what's in packet 3?", "what's the timeline for process X?". If we could compile a list of those common questions with concise answers or links (preferably), I think it would be really helpful to newcomers. Current members could place a link to that list (as a topic link) in their 'signature'.

Immigrant Visas General Information (including K1 and K3) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsmane.shtml

Consular Section FAQ (the people who will handle the visa request) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwscivfrequen....shtml#currency

Interview Appointment Schedule (Bogota only) - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwscappointmentlist.shtml

Visa Process for CR-1, K1, K3 - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwschowtobeginvisaprocess.shtml

Packet 3 Contents for K3 - http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsck3k4instructions.shtml

There are certainly other links to be included. Those with more experience here would know those better than me, but at least this list might be a start. Agree or disagree????

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Timeline
Nothing wrong with the idea. It appears the embassy website is better now, but still not perfect. There was information on there that conflicted...or that wasn't updated in certain areas (for example, when they changed the place where you pay the interivew fee, in some places they changed it to Banco Credito, but in other places it still listed the old bank). So, having the links would be a start, but I would STILL encourage every person who is getting a K-1 or K-3 through Bogota to go back to November posts to this thread and read forward. It may take a lot of time, but you'll get some great info...and it might actually que someone to ask a question that he or she never thought of. I encourage people to take notes. Some folks on here are simply not willing to read...they ask a question (that's been covered a million times) and want instant reponse. Some other folks keep asking the same things, even though they've gotten the same reply from several other folks...seems they just can't believe what to do. I guess you just can't help those folks. But if the average person is willing to put in the time and is willing to believe those that have gone before him or her....this thread is very helpful.

My two cents,

Mike

PS - it's also good that folks who have benefitted from the info in the past stick around long enough to help the new people....that perpetuates the "goodness" of this thread. For me, I got a lot of help in last fall....and I've tried to give back ever since. But it gets tiresome and I, like many (for example, Peter who started this thread), get tired and need to move on. So hopefully folks who are benefitting now will stick around for a few months or so to help those who come after them.

Excellent oberservations, Mike. You certainly have more experience here to know what people look for. I guess I'm responding to my own weaknesses and preferences. I can see where it get tiresome answering the same questions over and over. That what I was hoping to avoid. :wacko:

Hello,

I am patiently waiting for my NOA2 for k1 visa. I should be getting it very soon. I am not sure what is next. If I receive my NOA2, that is forwarded to NVC.

Where does these packets 3 and 4 come into the picture? Can I obtain them now? If so, where?

Thank you all

You can email me at smitht30@yahoo.com. I will send you a scan of package 4 that I received in Feb.

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

Timeline

I think this is an excellent idea. I also think that new members should read the threads from the beginning to understand the processes a little bit more, the problem with that is many of them (myself included back in the day) don't know that Colombian threads exist in the forum.

But anyway, here are a few pieces of info I thought about:

DAS web site (police and migratory movement documents) - http://www.das.gov.co/

Vaccines - TD, MMRR & Varicela (you may contact Cruz Roja of local city)

Lab work - Instituto y Laboratorio Clínico Calle 38 # 8-28, Local 1, Bogotá. 232.7272 (first come, first served 7am-10am)

Medical exams - Dra. María Consuelo González, Cra 8 # 49-25, Oficina # 307 @ 288.7629 or 245.9290 or Dr. Jairo Rosa @ 215.1763 or 658.9366

Department of State Visa Helpline in Washington, D.C. - 202.663.1225

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

leo here againg!

I have two final questions!

I just finish filling out the form I-134, my boss already gave me the letter from work and

this week thats coming up I will get the statement from my bank account. our enterview date is on May 17 which i plan to attend. For the form I-134 I have to sign it in front of a US notary public. (here are my questions.)

1.) so where I work I know that our secretary she has the authority to notorized papers, Could she notorised my forms and other papers

or I have to go somewhere else for that???!!!!!

2) Regarding the Statement from my bank account; it has been almost a year that I open this account and I really dont have money save there,

Usually When I get my check from work I have this bad thing that I usually cash it at the bank of where the check is from ( once in a while I deposit my checks, But starting last month I've been depositing my checks in my acount.) and usually I pay most of

my things in cash. Would this isue could be a reason for my girl not to get approved for her visa at the enterview even though I make 40k a year????

for this reason Im doing the fallowing thing to play it save.: I just move to a new place (rented) and Im goin to take ( to the enterview) the contract of the Apartment which is under my name, and a copie of the bills I pay there, so I could show them that I have enough money to pay the house bills and also that I could take care of my Trigueñota!

thanks for all your help, this Website is the best and sorry for my grammar is not the best!

leo here againg!

I just finish filling out the form I-134, my boss already gave me the letter from work and

this week thats coming up I will get the statement from my bank account. our enterview date is on May 17 which i plan to attend. For the form I-134 I have to sign it in front of a US notary public. (here are my questions.)

1.) so where I work I know that our secretary she has the authority to notorized papers, Could she notorised my forms and other papers

2) Regarding the Statement from my bank account; it has been almost a year that I open this account and I really dont have money save there,

Usually When I get my check from work I have this bad thing that I usually cash it at the bank of where the check is from ( once in a while I deposit my checks, But starting last month I've been depositing my checks in my acount.) and usually I pay most of

my things in cash. Would this isue could be a reason for my girl not to get approved for her visa at the enterview even though I make 40k a year????

for this reason Im doing the fallowing thing to play it save.: I just move to a new place (rented) and Im goin to take ( to the enterview) the contract of the Apartment which is under my name, and a copie of the bills I pay there, so I could show them that I have enough money to pay the house bills and also that I could take care of my Trigueñota!

thanks for all your help, this Website is the best and sorry for my grammar is not the best!

Hola

1. I had the secretary at work notarize my paperwork...no problem

2. The instructions for the I-134 states " any or all " as far as evidence. I was not going to submit bank statements because my income was well above the required amount. I did only because i received a bounus and the balance looked more impressive.

That's my take on it but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here.

12/05/06 Touched

AOS

08/02/07 Biometrics

August 11,2010.

Timeline
leo here againg!

Hola

1. I had the secretary at work notarize my paperwork...no problem

2. The instructions for the I-134 states " any or all " as far as evidence. I was not going to submit bank statements because my income was well above the required amount. I did only because i received a bounus and the balance looked more impressive.

That's my take on it but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here.

I agree with Tony about the I-134 evidence. Too much is better than too little.

Timeline

Tony already gave you the answer on the notary. Any notary will do, even if it is someone you know.

As for the I-134...you can qualify as a sponsor by income or by assets. If you have tax returns and an employer letter, that should take care of the income part. You really don't need any information about assets (since you are not qualifying based on assets). I actually got a letter from my bank....and took about six months worth of bank statements to the interview....but was never asked for it. If you income didn't meet the minimum, you'd definitely need assets to qualify. If your income level was "close" to poverty level, I'd probably take information on assets. But beyond that, it's just for safety - good to have just in case, but not required.

I really don't know that an apartment rental agreement and copies of bills will do anything for you.

Mike

leo here againg!

I-130:

I-129F:

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Timeline

Bros/Sis's

Wendy and I just received our NOA2 last night. I will be here a lot more to learn from you all.

First, I'm going to gather I134 forms and documents that I need to send her. Then from there, i'm lost :huh:

K1

AOS & EAD

Removing Conditions

Timeline

Luco:

Have you done your readin og this thread yet? Yes? OK, good. ALways want to encourage everyone to read this thread. However, to get your started, let me give you some ideas.

Did you receive your NOA2 by e-mail or mail? If you got it by mail, it is possible that your petition has already been sent to the NVC. If you received it by e-mail, you need to wait about a week. Once you think your petition has been sent to the NVC....

The first thing you need to do is call the NVC (number provided elsewhere on this thread) and see if they have received the petition (they will ask you for the number from your NOA2). If they have not, call again in a few days. If they have, ask them two question: 1) what is the case number? (the number will start with BGT) and 2) when will the petition be sent to Bogota?

Meanwhile, your fiancee can begin to put together packet 3. That will include a cover letter (explaining that you are seeking a K-1 visa interview), a copy of her passport biographical page, a completed DS-230, part I ( you can find this on the embassy web site), and a signed OF-169.

Once the visa petition has left the NVC for Bogota by DHL, it takes three business days. Once the petition arrives in Bogota, give them a couple of days for processing. Then have your fiancee fax and/or mail the packet 3 information I mentioned above to the embassy. If you get the fax into the embassy by May 15, you should get a June appointment.

Once they receive the packet 3 info, the embassy will send your fiancee a packet 4 that includes her appointment time and a list of all of the other things she must do (medical exam, blood test, x-ray, pay the interview fee, etc.) and of all of the paperwork she must provide during the interview, including the I-134.

If any of what I said is unclear or you don't understand, then that means you have more reading to do. All of what I have said here has been discussed, in detail, in this thread. This should get your started.

Good luck,

Mike

PS - if you have a specific question, feel free to PM me.

Bros/Sis's

Wendy and I just received our NOA2 last night. I will be here a lot more to learn from you all.

First, I'm going to gather I134 forms and documents that I need to send her. Then from there, i'm lost :huh:

I-130:

I-129F:

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Also don't forget to work on the CERTIFICADO MIGRATORIO as a heads up for the package 4. As many of us know, this document can take up to 30 days to receive if the fiance/fiancee lives outside of Bogota.

Luco:

Have you done your readin og this thread yet? Yes? OK, good. ALways want to encourage everyone to read this thread. However, to get your started, let me give you some ideas.

Did you receive your NOA2 by e-mail or mail? If you got it by mail, it is possible that your petition has already been sent to the NVC. If you received it by e-mail, you need to wait about a week. Once you think your petition has been sent to the NVC....

The first thing you need to do is call the NVC (number provided elsewhere on this thread) and see if they have received the petition (they will ask you for the number from your NOA2). If they have not, call again in a few days. If they have, ask them two question: 1) what is the case number? (the number will start with BGT) and 2) when will the petition be sent to Bogota?

Meanwhile, your fiancee can begin to put together packet 3. That will include a cover letter (explaining that you are seeking a K-1 visa interview), a copy of her passport biographical page, a completed DS-230, part I ( you can find this on the embassy web site), and a signed OF-169.

Once the visa petition has left the NVC for Bogota by DHL, it takes three business days. Once the petition arrives in Bogota, give them a couple of days for processing. Then have your fiancee fax and/or mail the packet 3 information I mentioned above to the embassy. If you get the fax into the embassy by May 15, you should get a June appointment.

Once they receive the packet 3 info, the embassy will send your fiancee a packet 4 that includes her appointment time and a list of all of the other things she must do (medical exam, blood test, x-ray, pay the interview fee, etc.) and of all of the paperwork she must provide during the interview, including the I-134.

If any of what I said is unclear or you don't understand, then that means you have more reading to do. All of what I have said here has been discussed, in detail, in this thread. This should get your started.

Good luck,

Mike

PS - if you have a specific question, feel free to PM me.

Bros/Sis's

Edited by TonyS

12/05/06 Touched

AOS

08/02/07 Biometrics

August 11,2010.

Timeline

I have done lots of reading in the past few days. However so many different types of visa in this thread. kind of confusing. I will take it 1 document at a time.

Tony, thanks for the migratorio tip.

Mike, Thank you very much for taking your time to write that up. Very helpful. I will now search for those documents.

Edited by lucho562

K1

AOS & EAD

Removing Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.