Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone! We finally received some positive news. We received approval for both the I-130 and the I-129F on the same day! (This even though they were filed two months apart.)

From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, it appears that my I-130 is now on hold pending what I choose to do with the I-129F. Is that correct?

Also, my wife lives in Florencia - 11 hours from Bogota by bus. The odds of her receiving any information or packets from our government or embassy are virtually nil in that city. The NOA2 says I should wait at least 90 days before inquiring if the NVC has sent anything to the embassy. Anyone have any suggestions on this and the packet delivery issue?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since both your petitions were approved on the same day, chances are they will approve you for a K-3 visa. If you want to pursue a CR-1 visa, you will need to file an I-824 and pay the $200 fee.

They always say that it takes about 2 months for the approved cases to reach the NVC, that's pretty much not true. You can start calling the NVC next week to see if they got it and you'll find out that it takes about 1-2 weeks. Once you get your case #, which should start with BOG#, you can then follow the shortcuts by Peter Miami to find out when the NVC mails out your package to the US embassy in Bogotá.

Now for the bad news, we can no longer contact the embassy by phone, so any questions you may have regarding your case, and this includes sending and receiving packets 3 & 4, have to be submitted by fax. I know, it sucks.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Since both your petitions were approved on the same day, chances are they will approve you for a K-3 visa. If you want to pursue a CR-1 visa, you will need to file an I-824 and pay the $200 fee.

They always say that it takes about 2 months for the approved cases to reach the NVC, that's pretty much not true. You can start calling the NVC next week to see if they got it and you'll find out that it takes about 1-2 weeks. Once you get your case #, which should start with BOG#, you can then follow the shortcuts by Peter Miami to find out when the NVC mails out your package to the US embassy in Bogotá.

Now for the bad news, we can no longer contact the embassy by phone, so any questions you may have regarding your case, and this includes sending and receiving packets 3 & 4, have to be submitted by fax. I know, it sucks.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Peter Miami's shortcuts. At this point, I'm simply happy to receive the news of approval! ;-)

Timeline

That is good news. Yes, it has become typical to get approval notices for both petitions on the same day....or at least within a day or two.

Yes, you are reading correctly. The NVC will assume you are pursuing the K-3 and will hold the I-130. So, you are now solely on the K-3 track, unless you tell the NVC otherwise (by filing a form and paying a fee). It appears that IR-1/CR-1 procssing is much faster now than it once was, but I suspect that the K-3 will still be the faster method....if time is important to you.

Never pay attention to the time frames you are given by the U.S. government - they are VERY conservative. Wait for about 1 week after your NOA 2 approval date and then start calling the NVC. Tell the NVC that you want your case number. If they have the case number, that means they've received the petition from the CS and have processed it (if they don't have it, call again in 2 days). Next, ask if they have mailed the petition to Bogota (or, if not, when they plan to mail it). As soon as you know it is mailed, then you can track it by DHL (don't expect the NVC to give you a tracking number - they won't; use the tracking method discussed in this thread). It takes three business days for the petition to make it to Bogota. Once the petition arrives in Bogota, there is no reason to wait for packet 3 (especially since you are in another city). Give it a couple of days and then fax or courier the packet 3 info to the embassy. Don't know what packet 3 is? Read this thread. You can also download a copy of packet 3 from the Bogota embassy web site (this is new). Your only real concern should be with the timely delivery of packet 4...since you will NEED the appointment letter (cita). If you do not get your packet 4 within two weeks of faxing packet 3, then you may need to contact the embassy via fax.

I gave you the short of it. Now, I HIGHLY recommend that you go back to posts to this thread beginning in NOvember, 2006 and read forward. You will get a wealth of info on packets 3 and 4, how to track by DHL, how to submit packet 3 without waiting for the mailing from the embassy, the document collection process, and the embassy interview. It's all here at your fingertips.

I am speaking from my experience. I wife has been here on a K-3 since January 26.

Good luck,

Mike

quote name='parkpapa' date='Apr 14 2007, 09:17 PM' post='838768']

Hi everyone! We finally received some positive news. We received approval for both the I-130 and the I-129F on the same day! (This even though they were filed two months apart.)

From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, it appears that my I-130 is now on hold pending what I choose to do with the I-129F. Is that correct?

Also, my wife lives in Florencia - 11 hours from Bogota by bus. The odds of her receiving any information or packets from our government or embassy are virtually nil in that city. The NOA2 says I should wait at least 90 days before inquiring if the NVC has sent anything to the embassy. Anyone have any suggestions on this and the packet delivery issue?

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Timeline

1) Case numbers for the K-3 begin with "BGT"

2) I am not so sure the change in policy is bad news. In a way, I can understand why the embassy would no longer accept calls. I can imagine how often they get pestered by folks asking for verification of receipt of the petition, etc., much of which is not necessary. The average K-1 or K-3 applicant likely has no pressing reason to call the embassy. The exception might be to inquire about packet 4 if it has not arrived in a timely basis after submission of packet 3. And now the embassy still gives you the option of submitting questions/problems by fax. At least they can screen the faxes and determine which inquiries are worth answering. I don't blame them.

Once you get your case #, which should start with BOG#, you can then follow the shortcuts by Peter Miami to find out when the NVC mails out your package to the US embassy in Bogotá.

I-130:

I-129F:

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Timeline
That is good news. Yes, it has become typical to get approval notices for both petitions on the same day....or at least within a day or two.

Yes, you are reading correctly. The NVC will assume you are pursuing the K-3 and will hold the I-130. So, you are now solely on the K-3 track, unless you tell the NVC otherwise (by filing a form and paying a fee). It appears that IR-1/CR-1 procssing is much faster now than it once was, but I suspect that the K-3 will still be the faster method....if time is important to you.

Never pay attention to the time frames you are given by the U.S. government - they are VERY conservative. Wait for about 1 week after your NOA 2 approval date and then start calling the NVC. Tell the NVC that you want your case number. If they have the case number, that means they've received the petition from the CS and have processed it (if they don't have it, call again in 2 days). Next, ask if they have mailed the petition to Bogota (or, if not, when they plan to mail it). As soon as you know it is mailed, then you can track it by DHL (don't expect the NVC to give you a tracking number - they won't; use the tracking method discussed in this thread). It takes three business days for the petition to make it to Bogota. Once the petition arrives in Bogota, there is no reason to wait for packet 3 (especially since you are in another city). Give it a couple of days and then fax or courier the packet 3 info to the embassy. Don't know what packet 3 is? Read this thread. You can also download a copy of packet 3 from the Bogota embassy web site (this is new). Your only real concern should be with the timely delivery of packet 4...since you will NEED the appointment letter (cita). If you do not get your packet 4 within two weeks of faxing packet 3, then you may need to contact the embassy via fax.

I gave you the short of it. Now, I HIGHLY recommend that you go back to posts to this thread beginning in NOvember, 2006 and read forward. You will get a wealth of info on packets 3 and 4, how to track by DHL, how to submit packet 3 without waiting for the mailing from the embassy, the document collection process, and the embassy interview. It's all here at your fingertips.

I am speaking from my experience. I wife has been here on a K-3 since January 26.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks for all the good advice, Mike. :thumbs:

Timeline

That's right, the case # starts with BGT#. Thanks Mike.

Also as a footnote, keep in mind that if you fax packet 3 before the 16th-20th of the month, you will get the interview for the following month. If you do it after these dates, you will get your interview for the month after the next.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

The good news is that my fiancee and I had our interview on Friday April 13 and were approved with no problems. We were told to return Monday at 4:00 pm to receive the visa, which is what I have read here. The bad news is that when we got to the Embassy today the Security Guard would not let me in, only my fiancee. She waited until there were only three people left who had not recieved their visas and she still had not received hers. Then the gentleman in the window announced that the Embassy does not give out Fiancee Visas today that everyone left would have to come back tomorrow at 4:00. My fiancee spoke with one person who has been coming back everyday since last Wednesday only to hear the same message, come back tomorrow at 4:00 for your visa. Does anyone know if the Embassy only gives out K1 Visas on certain days? I have not heard of this. Any comments are appreciated because I am waiting here in Bogota and my flight leaves out Wednesday morning.

10-12-2006 Engaged

11-13-2006 Sent I-129F

11-20-2006 I-129F received at CSC

11-23-2006 NOA1 received

11-28-2006 Touched

02-14-2007 Received NOA2 e-mail

02-20-2007 Received NOA2 snail mail

02-20-2007 NVC received Application

02-22-2007 NVC mailed application to Bogota

02-26-2007 Embassy received application

03-06-2007 Received Packet 3

03-07-2007 Returned Packet 3

03-16-2007 Recieved Packet 4

03-16-2007 Interview Date 04-13-2007

04-13-2007 Visa APPROVED!!!!

04-18-2007 Arrive in USA

06-09-2007 Married

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
The good news is that my fiancee and I had our interview on Friday April 13 and were approved with no problems. We were told to return Monday at 4:00 pm to receive the visa, which is what I have read here. The bad news is that when we got to the Embassy today the Security Guard would not let me in, only my fiancee. She waited until there were only three people left who had not recieved their visas and she still had not received hers. Then the gentleman in the window announced that the Embassy does not give out Fiancee Visas today that everyone left would have to come back tomorrow at 4:00. My fiancee spoke with one person who has been coming back everyday since last Wednesday only to hear the same message, come back tomorrow at 4:00 for your visa. Does anyone know if the Embassy only gives out K1 Visas on certain days? I have not heard of this. Any comments are appreciated because I am waiting here in Bogota and my flight leaves out Wednesday morning.

Were you carrying a bag that day? They have pretty strict security rules there. Either way... CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hopefully they won't give me a hassle given that I'll be pretty much quitting a job to go there.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

Here goes what I think could be a good letter requesting a delay in the Visa Interview... in Spanish as its my fiancee will be faxing this along with the OF-169 and the DS-230 Pt 1 tomorrow...

Hopefully someone that reads Spanish can give feedback...

A Quien Pueda Interesar:

Mediante esta carta solicitamos el aplazamiento de la cita de visado K-1 beneficiando a xxxxxxxxxxxx, prometida del ciudadano estadounidense xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Entendemos que normalmente la cita sería asignada para finales del mes de mayo o principios del mes de junio según su recibo en la Embajada y por motivos de trabajo de ambos solicitamos su aplazamiento por varias semanas a una fecha mutuamente conveniente tanto a la Embajada como a la pareja- preferiblemente entre el 26 y el 29 de junio de 2007, posterior a las fechas anticipadas para la celebración de dicha entrevista dado el proceso normal de asignación de las mismas.

Entendemos su comprensión en tal asunto y con mucho entusiasmo asistiremos dicha entrevista con fecha aplazada para cualquier fecha entre el 26 y el 29 de junio de 2007. Cualquier comunicación necesaria se puede llevar a cabo mediante Email a xxxxxx@gmail.com o xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com o directamente por teléfono con la beneficiaria al xxxxxxxxxx (celular).

Cordialmente,

Timeline

BTW, she thinks its a bit arrogant and imposing on the folks at the embassy to request a delay to a particular set of days... and as a Colombian she thinks they'll use it against us during the interview. As far as I'm concerned its a bit naive to think so but you never know. The letter just states that we'd like to have the interview postponed by a matter of weeks due to work reasons... and we state a range of dates that are more convenient for us... and hopefully for them too. This should not be an issue.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The Embassy gives out VISA's no matter what type anyday, no preference at to which type of VISA. My wife had her interview and was told the VISA would be ready the next business day. She did not recieve her VISA on the next business day. She was told to return the next day to see if it was ready. We recieved it on the second business day at 4:00 p.m. This has been common procedure for the Embassy lately----to NOT issue the approgved VISA the next business day. While in line wating for ours on the two days, we found out their were many people waiting 2 to 4 days until they recieved their approved VISA's. We were told the computer was the delay in spitting out the approval paperwork. After we did not recieve it the next day, I went over to the American servivces side and a Embassy official explained that we were at the mercy of the computer.

Also, no one but the K1/K3/CR1 holder can enter the Embassy to pick up the approved VISA. They refused me entry as well. Standard procedure.

Best of luck. I had to delay our flights one addtional day due to the Embassy delay.

09.09.2006 Marriage

I-130

10.03.06 sent

10.12.06 recieved by texas service center

10.18.06 NOA1 recieved from california service center

10.18.06 touched

02.09.07 NOA2 APPROVED! (90 minutes after K3 approval)

Held in CSC since pursuing K3

K-3 Visa

10.20.06 sent

10.24.06 recieved in Chicago

10.26.06 NOA1 recieved from Chicago/Missouri

11.01.06 touched

11.08.06 touched

11.09.06 recieved email advising sent to california service center for processing

11.15.06 recieved in california service center

11.16.06 touched

11.18.06 touched

01.25.07 email advising app was sent on 11.09.06 to california (same email recieved on 11/09/06 ?????)

01.28.07 touched (on a sunday)

02.09.07 NOA2 APPROVED!

Off to NVC

NVC to Bogota

Interview set on 04.04.07

Timeline

I guess that is just one more reason why the embassy specifically warns folks NOT to make travel reservations prior to the interview. First, you might get turned down...or asked for more info. Second, there might be a delay in processing fo the visa. I guess you "roll the dice" is you pre-arrange your flight.

Yes, I agree with ER....only the beneficiary is permitted to pick up the visa. However, I wonder why this is, especially given that the petitioner is permitted to attend the interview? Doesn't matter, I guess, because we have no choice but to comply.

Mike

The Embassy gives out VISA's no matter what type anyday, no preference at to which type of VISA. My wife had her interview and was told the VISA would be ready the next business day. She did not recieve her VISA on the next business day. She was told to return the next day to see if it was ready. We recieved it on the second business day at 4:00 p.m. This has been common procedure for the Embassy lately----to NOT issue the approgved VISA the next business day. While in line wating for ours on the two days, we found out their were many people waiting 2 to 4 days until they recieved their approved VISA's. We were told the computer was the delay in spitting out the approval paperwork. After we did not recieve it the next day, I went over to the American servivces side and a Embassy official explained that we were at the mercy of the computer.

Also, no one but the K1/K3/CR1 holder can enter the Embassy to pick up the approved VISA. They refused me entry as well. Standard procedure.

Best of luck. I had to delay our flights one addtional day due to the Embassy delay.

I-130:

I-129F:

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the great help and information. I am 30 days from the big interview and think I have everything ready. It seems like the pictures are number one and knowing a lot about each other for the questions are number two. I d have one question that I hope a few of you can answer.

What items have you been asked for that were submitted with your I-129. Such as birth certificate, passport, divorce papers, etc.? If any? I have a complete I-134 that is strong, lots of evidence with a lot of pictures. I know that this is her interview. Many of you have been prepared for anything and said you were never asked for anything. My concern is I am taking too many extra items and may miss something I really need. I am sure we all have these thoughts at this stage.

They asked me for a g325a form, i am the US citizen. I found that to be strange, so i had copies with me and just gave them one. That is all that was asked the interview was nothing. The interviewer looked at a letter i initially wrote, saying how we loved each been together for the past 4 years all that stuff and he said he wished all his cases where this simple as ours.

Thanks to everyone for the great help and information. I am 30 days from the big interview and think I have everything ready. It seems like the pictures are number one and knowing a lot about each other for the questions are number two. I d have one question that I hope a few of you can answer.

What items have you been asked for that were submitted with your I-129. Such as birth certificate, passport, divorce papers, etc.? If any? I have a complete I-134 that is strong, lots of evidence with a lot of pictures. I know that this is her interview. Many of you have been prepared for anything and said you were never asked for anything. My concern is I am taking too many extra items and may miss something I really need. I am sure we all have these thoughts at this stage.

K1

04/11/2006--sent i-129f

10/19/2006--fiance arrived USA

11/20/2006--Married

AOS

12/15/06-- noa1

01/12/07-- rfe

01/24/07-- 485 transferred to CA

02/03/07-- Biometrics

03/02/07-- welcome letter sent

03/09/07-- snail mail welcome letter received

03/16/07-- card production message received

03/21/07-- approval notice sent

03/23/07-- resident card in hand

Remove Conditions

1/12/09--noa1

2/04/09--Biometrics

6/05/09--Approval notice received in mail

6/28/09-- 10 year card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.