Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Which documents do you mean? The actual required documents that support the I-129F and the documents you have to bring with you....no, they do not return them. However, if you put anything addition in your I-129F (such as a letter, an addendum, photos, e-mails, etc.), they will give them back to you at the interview.

Be careful and check anything they give you back. They accidentally gave us the certified copy of my step-daughter's birth certificate back. They called us a few hours later when they noticed the mistake and told us we needed to bring it back to them that day or no visa. So, we had to climb back in a cab in mid-afternoon traffic and take the certificate back to the embassy.

Mike

CONGRATULATIONS KATHY!!!

I have a question ......they return all the documents???? :unsure:

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My Fiancee and I confirmed our visa petition is in Bogota. My fiancee had called and she was informed package three would arrive at her house in about 20 days. We would like to fax and mail the documents now instead of waiting for package three to arrive. Could anyone help and list what I should be sending exactly? Some documents I believe are needed to send now are as follows:

134 ( I have a copy and an original) should I mail the original or bring it to the interview?)

230 part 1

passport ( a copy of her passport)

169 ( question, the 169 is just a form that needs to be signed at the interview? ) Does my

fiancee need to complete this form in anyway? Also should I place the reference number

assigned at the Bogota embassy on everypage

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciate. i really want to get the information faxed before 4/15 so hopefully we can get an interview date in May......I just do not want to make any mistakes. Thanks

Corey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Corey,

The only documentation you need to fax/mail to the embassy prior to the interview are the DS230 Part 1, OF169, and a copy of your fiancee's passport page. We included a cover letter to specify what we were sending. We also included our BGT2007xxxxxx number on each page we faxed. I only faxed the documents and confirmed with the embassy that they had received our fax. Other people in this thread have both faxed and sent the originals via courier to the embassy. It is not required to do both, but it would give you peace of mind especially if you are close to that mid-month cutoff for the next month's interview. We missed the cutoff for March interview dates, but we had our interview on April 2. So missing the cutoff did not impact us too much.

Good luck!

Kathy

Mailed I129F Petition to NSC 10/21/2006

Interview 04/02/2007

Visa approved! 04/02/2007

Francisco arrives through Miami 05/01/2007

MARRIED! 05/11/2007

AOS/EAD received in Chicago 06/15/2007

NOA1 for AOS/EAD 06/20/2007

RFE 07/14/2007

RFE received and case processing resumed 07/20/2007

Biometrics 07/23/2007

AOS transfer to CSC 08/10/2007

AOS pending at CSC 08/16/2007

EAD approved 08/25/2007

EAD received 09/04/2007

Timeline

Kathy already advised as to what to include with your fax/packet to the embassy in order to get the interview. I want to further answer some of your questions:

Some documents I believe are needed to send now are as follows:

134 ( I have a copy and an original) should I mail the original or bring it to the interview?)

DO NOT send this. The beneficiary will need to provide this (along with the required documentation) at the interview.

230 part 1

Yes, as Kathy noted.

passport ( a copy of her passport)

Yes, as Kathy noted.

169 ( question, the 169 is just a form that needs to be signed at the interview? ) Does my

fiancee need to complete this form in anyway? Also should I place the reference number

assigned at the Bogota embassy on everypage

Yes, yes, and yes. The OF-169 simply indicates that you have gathered the necessary documents for the interview. The OF-169 only has a place for a signature...so she should sign it. As Kathy mentioned, it would be wise to include a cover letter that includes your case number....that describes what it is that she is seeking (an interview for a K-1 visa).

Good luck.

Mike

PS - To prepare yourself (and her) for packet 4 and the interview, I STRONGLY suggest that you go back to November posts on THIS thread and start reading forward. All of your questions and more will be answered.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciate. i really want to get the information faxed before 4/15 so hopefully we can get an interview date in May......I just do not want to make any mistakes. Thanks

Corey

I-130:

I-129F:

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Timeline

I just finished reading from page 1 to 39 over the past few days.....as Mike ( Mike and Adriana) suggested......whew ...information overload. It was very helpful and I have about 4 pages of notes that I will be referring too. I also want to say thank you to KathyB for the information you provided about your recent interview.

One subject that applies to my situation I saw only touched is a minor child of the Fiancee. I really need some clarification on what is required. My Fiancee has a 19 month old son and I am attempting to learn what is required at the interview ( K-1) for my soon to be step-son. In reviewing the posts it mentions the appropriate vaccinations for his age. My Fiancee does have his vaccination records which are current. I also read he will need to have a Doctor's appointment prior to the interview. Does the Doctor's appointment have to be in Bogota? My Fiancee lives in Barranquilla. I am planning on attending the interview ( hopefully in the end of May), June the latest. In reading the past posts, I have read the Embassy prefers children are not brought to the interview, in the situation I would be watching our son rather then be able to attend the interview.

What forms are need, if any for the K-1? Do I need an additional DS-156 and does this have to be brought to the bank also? Are there any other forms required? I am aware a letter needs to be prepared for permission for the child to leave the Colombia and consent given by the Biological father. In our situation the father's whereabouts are not known. He does not provide any child support our call to inquiry how the child is doing. My Fiancee has gone to the family court ( do not remember the exact name) and was told she needs to present three witnesses at the court to verify the father's whereabouts are not known. Once her case is proven she would be issued a letter allowing the child to leave Colombia. The letter is only valid for 20 days. She was told it takes approximately 4 or 5 days for the letter to be prepared. We are awaiting the interview date before she applies for the letter due to it only being valid for twenty days.

Any suggests or advice regarding a child ( 19 months old) for a K-1 visa would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

P.S OskaryAndrea....I really feel for you and the problems you have been encountering. I really hope everything gets resolved and fast for you and your fiance.

I just finished reading from page 1 to 39 over the past few days.....as Mike ( Mike and Adriana) suggested......whew ...information overload. It was very helpful and I have about 4 pages of notes that I will be referring too. I also want to say thank you to KathyB for the information you provided about your recent interview.

One subject that applies to my situation I saw only touched is a minor child of the Fiancee. I really need some clarification on what is required. My Fiancee has a 19 month old son and I am attempting to learn what is required at the interview ( K-1) for my soon to be step-son. In reviewing the posts it mentions the appropriate vaccinations for his age. My Fiancee does have his vaccination records which are current. I also read he will need to have a Doctor's appointment prior to the interview. Does the Doctor's appointment have to be in Bogota? My Fiancee lives in Barranquilla. I am planning on attending the interview ( hopefully in the end of May), June the latest. In reading the past posts, I have read the Embassy prefers children are not brought to the interview, in the situation I would be watching our son rather then be able to attend the interview.

What forms are need, if any for the K-1? Do I need an additional DS-156 and does this have to be brought to the bank also? Are there any other forms required? I am aware a letter needs to be prepared for permission for the child to leave the Colombia and consent given by the Biological father. In our situation the father's whereabouts are not known. He does not provide any child support our call to inquiry how the child is doing. My Fiancee has gone to the family court ( do not remember the exact name) and was told she needs to present three witnesses at the court to verify the father's whereabouts are not known. Once her case is proven she would be issued a letter allowing the child to leave Colombia. The letter is only valid for 20 days. She was told it takes approximately 4 or 5 days for the letter to be prepared. We are awaiting the interview date before she applies for the letter due to it only being valid for twenty days.

Any suggests or advice regarding a child ( 19 months old) for a K-1 visa would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

P.S OskaryAndrea....I really feel for you and the problems you have been encountering. I really hope everything gets resolved and fast for you and your fiance.

Hello Corey

I would be glad to help if I can. My fiancee is from Barranquilla and has a 2 year old daughter. They received their visas in Feb and are now here in the US. PM me and we can talk :yes: .

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by TonyS

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

Timeline

Corey: My replies are imbedded below.....

I also read he will need to have a Doctor's appointment prior to the interview. Does the Doctor's appointment have to be in Bogota? My Fiancee lives in Barranquilla. I am planning on attending the interview ( hopefully in the end of May), June the latest. In reading the past posts, I have read the Embassy prefers children are not brought to the interview, in the situation I would be watching our son rather then be able to attend the interview.

Yes, there are only two doctors authorized by the U.S. government to perform the physical exams...and both are in Bogota. They are listed in packet 4....and have also been identified on this thread. You will need to have an exam for both your fiancee and her son.

Yes, the embassy recommends that you do not bring young children. That said, they do not forbid it. There were some Colombianas there is young children. Just keep in mind that you may well be there from 6:30 a.m. until 12:00 or later. There is a snack bar. However, you sit in a courtyard that is exposed to the elements....so bring appropriate clothing.

What forms are need, if any for the K-1? Do I need an additional DS-156 and does this have to be brought to the bank also? Are there any other forms required?

Yes, you need a separate DS-156 for the child. That means you will also pay the interview fee for the child ($100).

In addition, when she submits packet 3 to get her appointment, she will send copies of the passport for both your fiancee and her son and a DS-230 for both her and her son. When she goes for the interview, her packet 4 materials will include a copy of the son's birth certificate and baptism certificate. Basically, unless otherwise noted (for example, the son will NOT need a blood test and doesn't have to worry about DAS reports), you'll need to provide the same things for both your fiancee and her soon at the interview.

I am aware a letter needs to be prepared for permission for the child to leave the Colombia and consent given by the Biological father. In our situation the father's whereabouts are not known. He does not provide any child support our call to inquiry how the child is doing. My Fiancee has gone to the family court ( do not remember the exact name) and was told she needs to present three witnesses at the court to verify the father's whereabouts are not known. Once her case is proven she would be issued a letter allowing the child to leave Colombia. The letter is only valid for 20 days. She was told it takes approximately 4 or 5 days for the letter to be prepared. We are awaiting the interview date before she applies for the letter due to it only being valid for twenty days.

Obviously, follow the courts advice. However, if I were you, I'd also seek the advice of an attorney. Assuming you wish to visit Colombia again in the future, you don't want to have to go through this every time. Colombian attorneys are cheap...and perhaps can find you a permanent solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Mike and Adriana

I-130:

I-129F:

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Timeline

Mike: Thanks Mike for the fast reply. I already translated the information and forwarded it to my Fiancee. Mike you should consider starting a business with all the knowledge you have acquired through this process. Just don't start charging until I am finished with the process!!!!

:yes:

TonyS: I sent you a message, hope I did it correctly and you get it! Thanks!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wifes K3 VISA was approved last week, but we are awaiting issuance of POE papers. I am posting detailed steps of the process of my wife and I experience of the K3 interview process. The US Embassy in Colombia refers to these processes as “residence VISAs”. The K3 interview steps are the same as K1 and CR1-the differences are in submission of paperwork. K1 VISA seekers read below for pointers on what to bring to the interview.

I am posting a detailed listing of our experience to allow future US residence VISA seekers to feel more at ease with the process. Also because the many people who wrote into this site, which assisted me greatly in the process. I know many lawyers in the immigration business due to the profession I have, but none on those lawyers could have given me the wealth of information this site has given me.

Here is the summary of my wifes (our) K3 Interview process at the US Embassy on April 4, 2007, 7:00 a.m.:

1. 5:45 a.m. Arrived at embassy, which is guard gate at street, about 10 people in line before us.

2. 6:00 a.m., entire group (at that time about 60 people) was ushered to entrance where you will see three large numbers, 1, 2 and 3. Number 1 is for toursit visa appointments at 7:00, line number 2 was for toursit visa appointments for 8:00 a.m. and line 3 is for potential “resident VISAs” (K1, K3, CR1, etc)

3. 6:15 a.m., embassy personnel will come out to look at your appointment letter and affix a colored dot to you (and your spouse/fiancee if present) to determine the location you will be going next.

4. 6:45 a.m., you will go through security checkpoint and then enter embassy waiting area. Area is outside, covered from the elements but wear warm clothes. Resident VISA seekers are seated on the right when you enter.

5. 7:00 a.m., after all residnent visa seeekers are gathered, embassy personnel will pass out a folder to each person and folder color is dependent upon the type of visa deisred. They will review what is requried for interview process and instruct you to proceed to waiting area so you can put all your documents into the folder.

6. 7:00 –8:30 a.m., we put everything into the folder, checked it once, checked it twice. As a part of the K3 the DAS migration listing (amount of time my wife traveled outside Colombia) was not listed but we included it anyway. Check the document listing many times, apparently the religious birth certificate and civil birth certificate look almost identical. We included the religious and that is not what the embassy wanted. We later found it in the pile of paperwork we brought and gave to second interview station.

7. 8:30 a.m., my wifes name was called for interview. Interview is a 2 step process, the first step is to have embassy personnel review if you have all the paperwork and if you have all the paperwork in the right order. If you are missing anything, they will send you away. Step 2 is interview with consulate official. I went to the window with my wife and was told to sit down. If you are attending with your spouse, go up to the window anyway. When I approached and waited for the person in front of us to finish, I noticed that the embassy person (clerk) was to say the least, not a happy person. She treated the person in front as if she was “no even a human being”. She appeared to be yelling and throwing papers all over the place. I thought, great of all the lines to be in, I had a frustrated “embassy clerk”. I left as instructed but observed off to the side the entire process. The clerk put everything in order and removed various documents. The documents she removed were the translations of documents from spanish to english. My wife had gotten a few of the documents translated and notarized. From what I could tell, if your documents are in english or spanish they accept both. My wife was asked a few questions about the paperwork only, but was basically chastized for not having the correct civil birth certificate. If there had NOT been a window between my wife and clerk, she probably would have been hit in the face with the numeorus pieces of paper the clerk was throwing around and even at the window. Obvisouly, the clerk enjoyed her work. She returned the translations and even our original marriage certificate. Everything was in order, my wife was asked to proceed to window 2 for the second step of interview.

8. 10:00 a.m., my wife was called to window to provide finger prints and then returned to her seat.

9. 10:30 a.m., after watching several persons being interviewed for K1 and CR1 my wife was called to the window. I accompanied her, I thought here we go, after the first step, I thought great, this was going to be an adventure. She picked up the phone and the consular smiled, sad hello, how are you in spanish (interview can be conducted in english or spanish). I thought , OK this is better. She was asked a couple of questions:

-When and where did you meet your husband?

-Were you ever married?

-Do you have children? Either of you?

-What is your husbands occupation? The consular commented, Oh that is a good job!

-Asked my wife for her mobile phone number? Wrote it down on one of the apps

I was waiting to be questioned,but she asked me no questions, I stood next to my wife and smiled and observed a very friendly smiling consular who made my wife feel totally at ease. After the first question, I noticed the consular was already pulling out the green slip of paper to write down her name to pick up the APPROVED VISA on the next business day. The consular indicated the VISA was approved and she could pick it up at 4.00 p.m on the next business day. I asked my wife to provide her the correct birth certificate and I asked if they wanted the original marriage certificate. She indicated she wanted the birth certificate but NOT the marriage certificate. Total time of interview, 90 seconds. I was not asked one question, I just smiled. It was obvious they review the file in great detail before you interview. I think what clearly assisted us in the recieving few questions, is that my wife had visited the US 8 times since we met in the US and the migration certificate although not asked for, indicated the number of visits. Interesting note, the migration certificate copy the DAS provided had two places she never ever visited. Our interview was on April 4th, Easter week and the embassy was closed for the next two days, therefore we had to wait till Monday to pick up Point of Entry (POE) packet

10. Monday, 3:30p.m. arrived and around 3:45 p.m. security personnel came out to advise those picking up packet to line up for security check. I was with my wife but was not allowed to enter and join her in the embassy. So I waited outside. After 15-20 mintes others in line came out with the imfamous large closed envelope with their passport on the outside. After one hour, I knew something was wrong, around 5:05 p.m. my wife exited with no envelope. Apparently the computer did not issue her POE papers and she needs to return the next day to “TRY” to retrieve the papers again. Apparently it is fairly common to not get your POE papers the next business day. As of writing this, we will be visiting the embassy today to hopefully retrieve the papers so we can return to Miami the next day, if not we will go back the next day, etc, etc.

11. What I brought to the interview, because I did not want to take any chances were the following:

-Wedding photos

-Photos of vacations (both of us in picture)

-Photos of my visits to Colombia with her family and vice versa her trips to the US

-Copy of all items submitted as a part of the entire process

-Airine tickets of our travels

-Some phone logs

-Copy of check from our joint bank account

-Copy of me naming her on my life insurance at my place of business.

-Copy of her being listed on my health insurance

(All of the above is in addition to the items required in the Affidavit of Support)

As I noted above, I did not need any of the above but I was ready. I had almost a suitcase of items and everyone waiting was wondering why I had so much “luggage” but I guess that question was answered when our interview was approved quickly

Hopefully today we will recieve the POE papers and we both arrive in the US tomorrow ---April 11th.

Now for some advice to potential K1 applicants. We talked to one K1 applicant and they were sure they had everything in place. They were up at the consular window 30 minutes, showed pictures and were asked numerous quesitons. We had left and they were still being asked questions. We did not see them on Monday, so I do not know if they were denied or approved, but I would guess they were not approved. Based upon my reading of this site for 8 plus months and talking to other K1 applicants I would suggest those K1, K3 and CR1 interviewees bring as many of the above listed items as they apply. I STRONGLY recommend K1 seekers bring as much of the above as possible.

Next time you hear from me, it will hopefully be in the US with my wife!

09.09.2006 Marriage

I-130

10.03.06 sent

10.12.06 recieved by texas service center

10.18.06 NOA1 recieved from california service center

10.18.06 touched

02.09.07 NOA2 APPROVED! (90 minutes after K3 approval)

Held in CSC since pursuing K3

K-3 Visa

10.20.06 sent

10.24.06 recieved in Chicago

10.26.06 NOA1 recieved from Chicago/Missouri

11.01.06 touched

11.08.06 touched

11.09.06 recieved email advising sent to california service center for processing

11.15.06 recieved in california service center

11.16.06 touched

11.18.06 touched

01.25.07 email advising app was sent on 11.09.06 to california (same email recieved on 11/09/06 ?????)

01.28.07 touched (on a sunday)

02.09.07 NOA2 APPROVED!

Off to NVC

NVC to Bogota

Interview set on 04.04.07

Timeline

I love the details of your post. And you know what? I'm so fed up with embassy workers in Bogotá, it looks like they are so extremely unhappy with their jobs that they should be fired. Augh! :ranting:

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

I noted that erporsche's wife was fingerprinted. I do not recall my wife doing this....or if she did, she did it at the same time as her "interview." I'll have to ask her. Perhaps this is new. I know they take fingerprints for IR-1/CR-1 (since you don't have to adjust status).

I guess one's experience at the embassy will vary. We had nothing but a good experience. The ladies at the gate in the morning were nice and helpful. The guards were fine. The lady who explained thing to the group initially was pleasant. The lady at the first window was a Colombiana who was very pleasant and efficient (by the way, the lady at the first window not only review all of the documents to see that you have them and that they are in order, but she also highlights the most relevant information...so that the CO will be able to quickly identify what he/she needs to know). We also have a good experience with the CO. We were all commenting that his name must be "Mr. No" because of all of the denials that came from his window that morning. But he was very pleasant to my wife. I stood behind her at the window. He did not ask me anything, but he did not send me away either. We had to return later that day to provide a document that they returned to us by mistake...and I spent some time talking to the guard at the gate while my wife went inside. Again, nothing but pleasant. It's too bad everyone can't have our experience.

Mike

I love the details of your post. And you know what? I'm so fed up with embassy workers in Bogotá, it looks like they are so extremely unhappy with their jobs that they should be fired. Augh! :ranting:

I-130:

I-129F:

I-485 and I-797:

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

Citizenship:

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Although I have been following this thread for quite a while, I have not yet begun my own process. I am the American Citizen (born in Cali, raised in NY) and my fiance is in Cali. I have been back to Cali many times since we first met in July 2003, thankfully I get a lot of vacation time b/c I'm a teacher, and we definitely have A LOT of evidence proving we are a bona fide couple.

I will be going back to Cali in July and Leo and I will be spending the summer together. We have finally decided to get married and here is my question to you experienced VJ'ers. I'm not sure which visa we should pursue. I have read the comparison info. that the site provides, but I don't know what to do. I know the Fiance visa would get him here sooner, but if we were to marry in Cali and go for the CR-1/then he would not need to go through AOS. For any of you that had to make this decision, is there any advice you can provide?

ALSO - MANY CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE RECEIVED YOUR VISAS RECENTLY!!!

Timeline

I noticed that you will be going through the Vermont Service Center, so that's a huge plus if you decide to file for a K-1. I've seen people getting approved within 2-4 weeks and getting their visas just 3-4 months after they filed. Now, if you are filing for a CR-1 and even a K-3 through Vermont, that's a long wait. There are many CR-1 filers who have been waiting since June/July and they still haven't been approved, K-3s take a long time also but not quite that long. Deciding which visa to file for is a very personal decision so I would recommend for you to go through the K-1, K-3 and CR-1 forums to read people's experiences with VSC and then you and your fiancee can decide.

By the way our situations are very similar. I'm also a US citizen, born in Medellín but raised here in the States with a Colombian husband. ;)

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

HELLO!

MY NAME IS LEO AND WELL MY GIRL IS IN COLOMBIA AND WE JUST RECEIVED HER CASE NUMBER, WE HAVE EVERYTHING READY TO BE FAX TO THE US EMBASSY BUT WE ARE MISSING THE FAMOUS "OF-169"

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE SEND ME THE PDF OF THAT FORM, I HAVE THE DS-2001 BUT I WANT TO PLAY IT SAVE SO I WANT TO SEND THE "OF-169", MY EMAIL IS LE_NARDO@YAHOO.COM

THANKS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.