Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, at least you have a much better idea of what may have happened. I sure hope María can make it today so you can have real news tonight.

Keep your hopes up!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ok you guys....

I called DOS today and they told me that the petition is still in administrative process but that today the Embassy was going to be contacting the beneficiary for a second interview!

Im totally freaked out you guys...what if this time around its a no because of a red flag or something? DOS doesn't elaborate on anything of course. Things have gone from great to worse in the course of a phone call and now dare I say that there is a ray of hope?

Originally when we both went the first time to the intervew they had assured us that everything was perfect! That there was no question about our relationship. Then why would it be necessary for a second interview?

Please...send your prayers and well wishes our way! I dont know if I'll be able to make it to this next interview and it has me really worried!

Kind regards,

Diana

Edited by Andres and Diana

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana,

The second interview is probably just a formality especially since the first one went so well. Just stay calm and tell Andres to do the same. Tell him to answer the questions as you both did in the first interview and I'm sure that the visa will be in hand!!!!! Don't worry...I think this is a good sign that things are moving forward for you guys. :thumbs:

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline

Oh you guys!!!!

I called the embassy and paid the $16 dollars. The representative was soooooo rude! I told her the whole story stating that DOS and the IVbogota@state.gov told me that I should call the embassy and schedule my fiances next appointment.

She proceeded to yell stating that I had no right to call DOS and find out the information i did that I had to wait for them to finish their processing.

I told her that according to the other two people they have finished their processing and that they req i called the embassy to find out what was requested of my fiance and to set up a date.

She said "OK i'll give you a date but they will probably deny it for you not waiting for the information that is needed of him."

She gave me the new interview date as August 21st. You guys....what do I do? how do I find out what they are requesting for this second interview? Who do I call if the embassy number treats us that way?

Please let me know...

Thanks....

Diana

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Timeline

El registro civil de nacimiento debe tener la inscripcion de la prueba de divorcio catolico o civil? O basta con llevar la sentencia del juzgado de familia y el registro civil simple sin ninguna anotacion? Ok that is my fiances question. I know many or almost all talk spanish so I do not think this is a problem. I go to bogota on july 25th looking forward to seeing my fiance and the food, etc. Thanks to all especially Diana. You and many were right I need to pay the $131 for all three coming to live with me. Anyways my fiance is thinking she needs to travel to her home town, medellin to straighten out the birth certificate (registro civil de naciemento) does she or is she good with the embassy with her divorce certificate, etc. Thanks guys. After I get done with the process I will a regular helper. Promise. Bruce

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I lost contact w/Onelis 3 weeks ago. It's been driving me crazy, but thankfully Carl pointed me in the direction of a local businesswoman who can help out by visiting her home and discussing our case with Onelis.

Thread in "Off-Topic" - "Where did she go?"

Keeping my fingers crossed that this gets resolved quickly and we get back on-track w/our K-1 a.s.a.p.

-Ken

Ken,

I hope you get good news soon, I know it is difficult having so much distance in a relationship. I think we all have some experience in that area.

Dennis

Maria had to deal with a flooded street, causing her to ditch her plans in looking for Onelis. The word is out. Her Americano is looking for her. When the rains come, it causes havoc with the phone lines, causing the nearby Internet cafe's to all close. It must be a mess there right now. I'm looking at low-cost flights to Cartagena via Spirit Airways so I can just see her. This is driving me crazy. Maria plans to drive out tomorrow to find Onelis. I'm going on my 11 mi. bike ride now. It's the only thing that calms me down...

Keep hanging in there Ken. We flew into Cartagena on Spirit yesterday, July 2. Not that bad, to be honest. Security was tight and yes... it was raining a LOT. We bussed through Barranquilla at night and it was a complete MESS with the rain.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
El registro civil de nacimiento debe tener la inscripcion de la prueba de divorcio catolico o civil? O basta con llevar la sentencia del juzgado de familia y el registro civil simple sin ninguna anotacion? Ok that is my fiances question. I know many or almost all talk spanish so I do not think this is a problem. I go to bogota on july 25th looking forward to seeing my fiance and the food, etc. Thanks to all especially Diana. You and many were right I need to pay the $131 for all three coming to live with me. Anyways my fiance is thinking she needs to travel to her home town, medellin to straighten out the birth certificate (registro civil de naciemento) does she or is she good with the embassy with her divorce certificate, etc. Thanks guys. After I get done with the process I will a regular helper. Promise. Bruce

Hey Bruce, it sounds like she’s asking, if her birth certificate needs a notation which would say she’s been divorced thru the church or if it’s a legal (civil) notation that she will need or if any notation at all. (As far as I know these are separate things, the birth certificate is for identity, citizenship and the divorce decree for marital status. civil documents are what the embassy will want). or she goes on, is it enough to just bring the divorce decree (la sentencia del juzgado de familia, sounds like the divorce decree, but I’m not a 100%.) and the wedding certificate without an annotation on it, stating that she is now divorced?

This is from the embassy’s website under the list of documents that she will need,

“TERMINATION OF PREVIOUS MARRIAGES: Certified photocopies of final divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates. We cannot accept civil or religious separations, including ‘Separaciones de cuerpos y bienes,’ ‘Liquidaciones de sociedad conyugal,’ or annotations on the back of marriage certificates as proof that a marriage has been terminated.”

Sounds like that kills the idea of some guy in the notaria scribbling, she’s divorced on the back of her wedding certificate.

This part refers to your question,

“BIRTH CERTIFICATES: Each applicant must present an original or a notarized copy of his/her birth certificate. A copy of the Folio is required. The date and place of birth, parents’ names, and date the birth was registered must be included. We do not accept ‘short form’ birth certificates, as they are not official extracts from government records.

Special note for applicants born in 1939 or earlier: You may present a recently issued baptismal certificate with marginal notes in lieu of a birth certificate.”

So… unless you plan on marrying her grandmother, you will have to get an original or a notarized copy of her birth certificate. If she doesn’t have one already, she will probably have to go in person to the notaria where her birth was registered to get a certified copy, at least that’s what my wife had to do.

Also I second your thanks to Diana, she’s been a big help to me as well.

Good luck with your trip, Mike.

Timeline

Hey Bruce, it sounds like she’s asking, if her birth certificate needs a notation which would say she’s been divorced thru the church or if it’s a legal (civil) notation that she will need or if any notation at all. (As far as I know these are separate things, the birth certificate is for identity, citizenship and the divorce decree for marital status. civil documents are what the embassy will want). or she goes on, is it enough to just bring the divorce decree (la sentencia del juzgado de familia, sounds like the divorce decree, but I’m not a 100%.) and the wedding certificate without an annotation on it, stating that she is now divorced?

This is from the embassy’s website under the list of documents that she will need,

“TERMINATION OF PREVIOUS MARRIAGES: Certified photocopies of final divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates. We cannot accept civil or religious separations, including ‘Separaciones de cuerpos y bienes,’ ‘Liquidaciones de sociedad conyugal,’ or annotations on the back of marriage certificates as proof that a marriage has been terminated.”

Sounds like that kills the idea of some guy in the notaria scribbling, she’s divorced on the back of her wedding certificate.

This part refers to your question,

“BIRTH CERTIFICATES: Each applicant must present an original or a notarized copy of his/her birth certificate. A copy of the Folio is required. The date and place of birth, parents’ names, and date the birth was registered must be included. We do not accept ‘short form’ birth certificates, as they are not official extracts from government records.

Special note for applicants born in 1939 or earlier: You may present a recently issued baptismal certificate with marginal notes in lieu of a birth certificate.”

So… unless you plan on marrying her grandmother, you will have to get an original or a notarized copy of her birth certificate. If she doesn’t have one already, she will probably have to go in person to the notaria where her birth was registered to get a certified copy, at least that’s what my wife had to do.

Also I second your thanks to Diana, she’s been a big help to me as well.

Good luck with your trip, Mike.

Thanks a big help.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've been "away" (computer problems again), so trying to catch up a bit....

Diana, don't assume anything is wrong. As Scott said, it likely just a formality. When we had our interview, we were given a green light - EXCEPT Lorena had to return the next day (same day I was flying back to the states) with her two sons, to prove she had two sons! Good thing she had brought them along to Bogota, as it's a 10 hour bus ride from her home town. So, it could just be something as simple as someone in the embassy forgot to cross a T or dot an I.

Bruce, as you go further through the process, you'll be well served to have any and all documents "certified" or notarized. My wife has never been asked for a baptismal certificate (though we have one), but every step along the way we've been asked for her notarized birth certificate. Same thing with a divorce decree - I'm not sure which would have more legal status as far as USCIS is concerned, but I would be sure to get a notarized copy. Remember that in Colombia a Notary has different and much greater powers than here, so their legal standing is considerably different.

Always make copies of the originals, keep the originals in a very safe place, and only send copies when asked for a document. You will need to bring the originals with you for the AOS interview, if you have one.

Best of luck to you both!

Charles

Timeline

Bruce,

As Charles and Mike stated above, your wife will need both, her Registro Civil de Nacimiento (Birth Certificate) and Divorce Decree since they're two separate documents. Not only will she need certified copies of them, but she will also need more than one along with translations because you will need them for her AOS packet. Same for the children. It's a lot cheaper to have them translated in Colombia and remember, apostilles are not needed for any document no matter what they tell her in Colombia.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Keep hanging in there Ken. We flew into Cartagena on Spirit yesterday, July 2. Not that bad, to be honest. Security was tight and yes... it was raining a LOT. We bussed through Barranquilla at night and it was a complete MESS with the rain.

I'm flying direct to Barranquilla tomorrow night. I chose a direct flight to that city since delays back to Cartegena could prove problematic in the case of closed roads on the day of my return flight. I still have not heard directly from Onelis. Phones are completely down. No email, nothing. So, it will be a complete surprise when I arrive to their home on Wednesday.

Objectives for this trip are to get 2 passports (for her and little son), vaccines at Red Cross, Birth Certificates, and police clearance. I will keep everyone posted on the developments.

-Ken

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm flying direct to Barranquilla tomorrow night. I chose a direct flight to that city since delays back to Cartegena could prove problematic in the case of closed roads on the day of my return flight. I still have not heard directly from Onelis. Phones are completely down. No email, nothing. So, it will be a complete surprise when I arrive to their home on Wednesday.

Objectives for this trip are to get 2 passports (for her and little son), vaccines at Red Cross, Birth Certificates, and police clearance. I will keep everyone posted on the developments.

-Ken

Ken,

I wish you lots of Good Luck and I hope everything turns out well and your Fiance and her family are safe and well.

Dennis

Timeline

Same here! Good luck with everything!

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Best of luck, Ken. I hope it all goes well for both of you!

I'm so nervous, because I don't know what to expect. Thank you, everyone at VJ. I will post my news as it happens. I really miss this woman and her family so much... :blush:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.