Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hey buddy

I strongly recommend against that!

The credentials may transfer over. Its a matter of family unity and of course, travel costs in an uncertain market. Plus it MAY look strange for immigration purposes.

However, I do encourage you guys to think about gunning for it here... remember that nursing will ALWAYS be in demand and there are some places that give signing bonuses that wipe out nearly half of tuition debts. Some hospitals also have loan repayment programs. What I would do is try talking with people already in the profession.

Also, did you know you can apply for Federal Student Aid? This may qualify you for smaller-interest loans and some grants. Another creative idea is for employer-assisted tuition reimbursement. Try checking if there are university hospitals in your area where she could try for a job to defray the costs of her degree/certificate program... and that in the long run helps her with job prospects in the field upon graduation.

Mária is looking at a 1.5 year Masters degree in Human Resources Development at a public university here that would costs us a relatively low chunk of change compared to larger universities. Its food for thought that will have a big payoff since she already has a few endorsements on her BS in Psych degree from home.

Thanks, my friend. That was kind of my thinking, as well. Especially on the "family unity" aspect. I was able to do a little research last night on this and found that RNs are in high demand and that there are several hospitals that will even sponsor a nurse to come to the states. However, that is for an RN. LPNs are a different matter. Not only are they less in demand, though they do essentially the same work, but around here they are paid very poorly (under $15 per hour for the most part).

Lorena changes her mind frequently on this whole career thing, so she may do so again. :whistle: But I sure appreciate the feedback and support.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife has her CR1 interview on July 15th. She has yet to receive her Packet 4 from rthe embassy in Bogota but I FedEx'd her the package that was sent to me. Now all our documents have been submitted to the NVC and I am assuming shipped to the embassy in Bogota. The only documents that she will have with her when she gors is the DAS letter, her medical information, the Interview letter, and all our evidence. I told her I would fly down to go to the Interview but she said her friends said it wasn't necessary so I am not going. When she gets in the first line where everyone says the "Witch" asks for the documents, is she going to need anything besides the above mentioned documents. The CO should have all the other documents I am assuming.

Dennis

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hey buddy

The credentials may transfer over. Its a matter of family unity and of course, travel costs in an uncertain market. Plus it MAY look strange for immigration purposes.

However, I do encourage you guys to think about gunning for it here... remember that nursing will ALWAYS be in demand and there are some places that give signing bonuses that wipe out nearly half of tuition debts. Some hospitals also have loan repayment programs. What I would do is try talking with people already in the profession.

Also, did you know you can apply for Federal Student Aid? This may qualify you for smaller-interest loans and some grants. Another creative idea is for employer-assisted tuition reimbursement. Try checking if there are university hospitals in your area where she could try for a job to defray the costs of her degree/certificate program... and that in the long run helps her with job prospects in the field upon graduation.

Mária is looking at a 1.5 year Masters degree in Human Resources Development at a public university here that would costs us a relatively low chunk of change compared to larger universities. Its food for thought that will have a big payoff since she already has a few endorsements on her BS in Psych degree from home.

Thanks, my friend. That was kind of my thinking, as well. Especially on the "family unity" aspect. I was able to do a little research last night on this and found that RNs are in high demand and that there are several hospitals that will even sponsor a nurse to come to the states. However, that is for an RN. LPNs are a different matter. Not only are they less in demand, though they do essentially the same work, but around here they are paid very poorly (under $15 per hour for the most part).

Lorena changes her mind frequently on this whole career thing, so she may do so again. :whistle: But I sure appreciate the feedback and support.

Hm... I think if she got herself involved in a serious RN program she'd probably want to stick it out til the end... with support and encouragement from the family, so much can be accomplished.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all,

We´re still in Bogota, but I just wanted to drop in and report that we went to my wife´s K-3 interview yesterday and she was approved. We were there from 6:30 am until 1:30pm, but everything went well and the staff at the consulate was very helpful and nice.

I will write a full report next week when I´m back in the states.

Good luck to all that have upcoming interviews and thanks to all those that have helped so much throughout the process.

Peace,

CG

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline
:dance::dance:"CONGRATULATIONS CG" :dance::dance:

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations CG!! When will your wife be traveling to the US? I bet you cant wait to have her home!

Once again Congrats!

Diana

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Congratulations, CG! I'm happy to hear the great news.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline
HEY EVERYBODY!!!!

I just wanted to confirm the question the Byron already answered...

Yenifer just got off the phone with Dr. Roa's office and the price for all three vaccines is 132.000 pesos...this is a very reasonable price :thumbs:

Td = Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccine

MMR = Measles, Mumps and Rubella

Varicella = Chickenpox

Anyway I'm off to Bogota...very anxious :blink: ...a little nervous :rolleyes: but very prepared...talk to you guys soon...wish us luck!!! :innocent:

Hello

Man I so confused about these shots/

My girl lives in Quilla and she has looked into getting a price of them done there ..But as I read here people have different answrs on this subject.I see you pais 138,000 for the three needed thats seems very good to me.If you were in my shoes what would you do>

Thanks

Carl

Timeline

Hello

My girl lives in Quilla and she has looked into getting a price of them done there ..But as I read here people have different answrs on this subject.I see you pais 138,000 for the three needed thats seems very good to me.If you were in my shoes what would you do>

Thanks

Carl

Timeline
Hello

Thanks

Carl

Carl,

We had no problem with having the shots done at the doctor's office but some have. Some of the problems have been inflated prices, unnecessary vaccines... But if Stefanie will need all of the vaccines, just call the doctors office that you have arrainged the appointment with and get a price. If it is still 130-140 mil that is a very good price. Be sure to get a name of the person that gives you the price so that there is no question when you arrive and the price doesn't suddenly change. :blink:

Good luck,

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline
Hello

Thanks

Carl

Carl,

We had no problem with having the shots done at the doctor's office but some have. Some of the problems have been inflated prices, unnecessary vaccines... But if Stefanie will need all of the vaccines, just call the doctors office that you have arrainged the appointment with and get a price. If it is still 130-140 mil that is a very good price. Be sure to get a name of the person that gives you the price so that there is no question when you arrive and the price doesn't suddenly change. :blink:

Good luck,

Hi Thanks,

We are just waiting to get interview date now,So good but i think I will have her chaeck the RED Cross in Quilla as well why we are waiting ..

Again thanks ..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hey buddy

I'm with Willie on this one Charles. There are so many things that will not allow her to study in Colombia that it's not even worth thinking about it. One, she will soon be a US resident and should not be out of the country for more than 12 months, in fact the POE officers will give her a hard time if she is out for more than 6. Two, she will have to get her license here in the States even if she has one from Colombia, in some cases she will need to take additional courses to do so. And three, she cannot do any of this without proper English. So the best thing would be for her to focus on that and then decide on what to do. Once she's ready she can make appointments at different colleges with counselors and see what they recommend.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations CG!!!!! I hope everything went well and that you can start your new life together in the US soon!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.