Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First I want to thank everyone for their help.

Ana,

It is basically just my wife that wants the kids to have the dual citizenship. I have no objections to it, but I really do not see the need for it. She thinks it will make travel easier, but after reviewing the Dept of State site it said individuals holding dual citizenship in both the U.S. and Colombia need a Colombian passport to enter/exit Colombia and a U.S. passport to enter/exit the U.S.. Is this the trouble you ran into? So you would only recommend the dual citizenship if the children planned on spending more than 3 months in Colombia? I just want to do what is best, and I guess if them having dual citizenship makes her happy that is the right thing to do. :yes:

Hi Matt

Everything I had read in this forum regaling your question is true, the trouble I went through with my daughter had more to do with the follow, as I said before, she had to have a Colombian passport because we lived in Colombia for a few yrs. this was like her legal document to have certain benefits such to be able to attend a private school, travel outside the country and have medical insurance.

The real issue is as follow, if your kid travels to Colombia with his/her mom and at the airport the "DAS" registers your kid with the Colombian passport, when your wife and kid leave Colombia your wife will have to have a valid notarized permit from you "the father" that you were ok your kid is leaving Colombia with her mom, so the kid can actually leave the country (he’s using a Colombian passport, DAS uses the Colombian law and protects the kid from being away from one of the parents against anyone’s will), otherwise they will get stuck there until you get one from the Colombian embassy here in the US and send it to her, just to change the flight until you get the document will be $100 for each person, with an US passport DAS won't ask you for this document, So what will be the point?

One time my daughter went alone carrying both of the passports, I paid extra to have assistance from the airline, I didn’t know then that if you carry a Colombian passport you HAVE to enter with the Colombian one, the DAS saw her Col. Passport. She entered as Colombia and when she was supposed to fly back she wasn’t allow to do it ‘cause didn’t have her father and mother’s permit to leave the country, I went through hell that time.

Dual citizenship is good when you can get the benefits in both ways. My daughter only uses her Colombian passport when she wants to stay more than 3 months, (summer vacations) for other than that, can be a tramp.

You have no idea how much I had appreciated to know all this back then, the good thing is that we always learn from our mistakes.

Good luck........ Ana

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your input on the dual citizenship issue. All this information gives Fernanda and I a lot to consider. I do not see the kids staying more than 3 months at a time in Colombia. I do not know if it will really be necessary for them to have dual citizenship.

Also, Fernanda had her appointment today with Dr. Roa. She said that she had to completely undress. She started to tell me something else was strange, but said she did not know how to explain it in english. So I will find out tomorrow. She is a nurse and told the nurse at the office that it was completely unnecessary. But the nurse insisted that she must undress.

I have another question for those of you who have been to your interview. Fernanda was saying something about having to pay more for the K-3 at the Embassy. I told her that the $100 at the Banco de Credito was all she had to spend. Are there any additional fees besides the interview fee at the Banco de Credito and the Domesa fee you must pay for the K-3 visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
It looks like we are having 3 interviews on Dec 31. Byron-Leidy, Neophi & MV-JR.

I already wished good luck to Byron & MV-JR so I need to also send some good thoughts to Neophi. Knock em dead Felipe & Silvia!

Best of luck to everyone. It will be so exciting to read about 3 approvals when I get back to the states on the 31st. :)

I concur. The best of luck to everyone. I am eager for our chance to shine, but I can imagine how nerve wracking it is when you are actually "In the Box". Please draw strength from the knowledge that there are many thoughts and prayers going up on your behalf. Stay focused and we will do the worrying!!!

Cameron

07/18/2006 Committed to each other

10/21/2006 Met Carina's family in Bogota

05/10/2007 Became engaged in Medellin

08/27/2007 Sent I-129F

09/18/2007 NOA1 Received

12/18/2007 NOA2 APPROVE

12/21/2007 NOA2 Hardcopy Received

01/11/2008 NVC Received

02/07/2008 FINALLY NVC forwards to Bogota! Longest month of my life.

02/11/2008 Embassy receives our case.

03/31/2008 Our Interview!!! Did I mention this is also my birthday????

03/31/2008 We had our interview and were APPROVED!

04/03/2008 Visas delivered to us in Bogota.

04/05/2008 We leave for the States. POE Atlanta.

"Give me liberty, or give me death" Patrick Henry

Timeline
Thank you everyone for your input on the dual citizenship issue. All this information gives Fernanda and I a lot to consider. I do not see the kids staying more than 3 months at a time in Colombia. I do not know if it will really be necessary for them to have dual citizenship.

Also, Fernanda had her appointment today with Dr. Roa. She said that she had to completely undress. She started to tell me something else was strange, but said she did not know how to explain it in english. So I will find out tomorrow. She is a nurse and told the nurse at the office that it was completely unnecessary. But the nurse insisted that she must undress.

I have another question for those of you who have been to your interview. Fernanda was saying something about having to pay more for the K-3 at the Embassy. I told her that the $100 at the Banco de Credito was all she had to spend. Are there any additional fees besides the interview fee at the Banco de Credito and the Domesa fee you must pay for the K-3 visa?

Hello Matt, at the embassy the only thing you have to pay is for the DOMESA Delivered Service right after your Visa will be approved.

God Bless You,

(L) Brian and Yenys (L)

Timeline

Hello Matt, at the embassy the only thing you have to pay is for the DOMESA Delivered Service right after your Visa will be approved.

God Bless You,

(L) Brian and Yenys (L)

Thank you. She has been worried about not taking enough money with her.

Happy New Year!

Everytime I think I have everything lined up something else pops up.

I learned today that the name on Bella´s baptism certificate does not match the names on her birth certificate and passport. Her first name was legally changed by the notaria several years ago and her birth certificate and passport reflect the new name. Unfortunately the priest states emphatically that he cannot change the name on the baptism certificate so that it matches the rest of the documents. They did add one of the infamous notas marginales that states that her name has been changed by the notaria and it references the new name in the nota.

Anexo E of Package 4 makes it very clear that the data needs to be consistent on the 3 documents although the emphasis seems to be on dates, place of birth and civil status. Names are not specifically mentioned.

Luckily I did enter her original name as a name previously used on the I-129F & the G-325A so we can´t be accused of providing false or incomplete information.

We are going to get a "fresh" copy of the notaria´s document that offically changed her name and a fresh copy of the baptism certificate. Other than that I can´t think of what else we can do.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I am beginning to understand why the embassy wants to see the baptism certificates. It appears to be ridicuously easy to change one´s name in Colombia. All Bella had to do was pay the notaria a few bucks and presto chango she had a new name. After that she obtained a birth certificate and passport issued in the new name without any problem. It boggles my mind.

Edited by Bill y Bella

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline

Monday is gettin close!! Good luck to all on the interview!!!

March 14, 2006.....We meet, spend the next 2 weeks togeather

May 2006............ I go to see Paola for 5 days and propose marriage

Jan. 24th, 2007....I-129F sent to CSC

Feb. 2nd, 2007.....CSC receives NOA1

June 6, 2007........I-129F Approved

June 6, 2007........Cleared NVC and sent to Bogota

June 12, 2007......I receive packet 3 from our lawyer

June 14, 2007..... I send Packet 3 to Paola via FEDEX (2 day delivery)

June 25, 2007......Paola receives Packet 3 (9 days late)

July 3, 2007.........Packet 3 Fedex to Embassy in Bogota

July 5, 2007.........Packet 3 arrives at the embassy in Bogota

July 19, 2007.......Called NVC, interveiw scheduled for Aug. 17, 2007

July 31, 2007.......Paola goes to US Embassy in Bogota and gets Pkt 4 in person

Aug. 13, 2007.....Lab exam

Aug. 15, 2007.....Medical exam

Aug. 17, 2007.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failed cuz of a missing doc. :(

Sept. 27, 2007....Second interview date!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 7, 2007........Paola is here in the US!!

Oct. 23, 2007......MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 30, 2007......Mailed AOS docs

Nov. 27, 2007.....Recieved "Notice of Receipt" of AOS docs

Dec. 20, 2007.....Biometrics appointment

Feb. 7, 2008.......Recieve AP and permit to work

Feb. 19, 2008.....Recieve SS card

And finally, Bella already has her Certificado Judicial and it is dated June 21, 2007. Will this be acceptable for a February interview? I think I read several times that it is good for one year, but I can´t find confirmation that the embassy will accept one that old.

Thanks!

I wrote to the embassy to confirm that the CJ from June will be acceptable. They wrote back promptly and this is their response:

"The DAS report is valid for one year from time of issuance. It must be valid at the time of the interview and until the person departs for the US."

I am not sure how they know when the beneficiary will leave the country when they issue the visa, but it sounds like we won´t have a problem.

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Everytime I think I have everything lined up something else pops up.

I learned today that the name on Bella´s baptism certificate does not match the names on her birth certificate and passport. Her first name was legally changed by the notaria several years ago and her birth certificate and passport reflect the new name. Unfortunately the priest states emphatically that he cannot change the name on the baptism certificate so that it matches the rest of the documents. They did add one of the infamous notas marginales that states that her name has been changed by the notaria and it references the new name in the nota.

Anexo E of Package 4 makes it very clear that the data needs to be consistent on the 3 documents although the emphasis seems to be on dates, place of birth and civil status. Names are not specifically mentioned.

Luckily I did enter her original name as a name previously used on the I-129F & the G-325A so we can´t be accused of providing false or incomplete information.

We are going to get a "fresh" copy of the notaria´s document that offically changed her name and a fresh copy of the baptism certificate. Other than that I can´t think of what else we can do.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I am beginning to understand why the embassy wants to see the baptism certificates. It appears to be ridicuously easy to change one´s name in Colombia. All Bella had to do was pay the notaria a few bucks and presto chango she had a new name. After that she obtained a birth certificate and passport issued in the new name without any problem. It boggles my mind.

No new thoughts Bill. You are doing the right thing by adding this notarial document. Maria had a similar issue with the spelling of her last name and I also included the previous name as shown on her birth certificate as well as the change on her cedula. It seems like the dummy that processed her cedula decided he/she didn't like the last name with two z's so they put it s/z. Happens a lot in Colombia apparently. We also took to the Embassy her dad's Spanish passport with two z's in the last name to show extra proof that the name goofup was not intentional by her family. (this also made the interview, apparently, much easier)

You kids will be just fine!

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

Matt y Fernanda

Since we are at the K1 process I am not a 100% sure but according to the information provided in the Bogota Embassy information page at VJ

¨K visa applicants have to pay at the bank because K visas are technically nonimmigrant visas. They cost $100 and the Embassy collects all nonimmigrant visa fees through the bank. Immigrant visas cost $380 and are paid at the Embassy¨

So I believe is a good idea to double check (I am pretty sure that I read the same thing at the embassy homepage)

God Bless You,

(L) Brian and Yenys (L)

Thank you. She has been worried about not taking enough money with her.

Happy New Year!

04/24/07 File sent

05/21/07 NOA1 (not mail)

05/24/07 Touched

06/14//07 Touched

Timeline

I can tell there are very knowledgeable people on the k1 visa process. I was wondering if someone might be able to send me all and any information to help me and my fiancée Jenny, in Bogota Colombia, we are very much in love and want the rest of the process to go smoothly. I have sufficient MB room in my inbox, need forms, advice, checklist, details, and etc.etc. Etc. everything and anything you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Here is a brief timeline we met December 26th, 2006, engaged March 29th. 2007, I-129F petition received in California Service Center June 12th 2007, Approval notice received December 19th, 2007, ...... now just waiting on VSC to send it to Bogota. I am looking to do everything I can to expedite and insure an approved visa application.

Sincerely

Jorge ( elecpros )

elecpros@bellsouth.net

To: All VJ members going through the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá, Colombia.

I am posting this thread because I have had to explain this process many times so by putting it here it should help everyone. The best of luck to your fiancée and you. (L)

You could look at my timeline and get an idea. Remember no two K-1 fiancée visa petitions are exactly the same.

After your petition leaves your service center (CSC/TSC, NVC, VSC) it goes to NVC and it might take about two weeks. From NVC it goes to the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá this usually takes about four or five days.

There are short-cuts that you can take once the petition gets to Bogotá. But the first thing you do is to call NVC every couple of days to a week. Make sure you speak with a customer service representative and not the automated system, K-1’s stay less than two weeks and they do not put them in the system. When you call NVC, get your case number and ask them when they will sent the petition out. Once you know that date, call back on that date and make sure that they sent it out. Then you track the package through www.dhl.com. I will give you the instruction later.

Once the petition gets to the Embassy you or your fiancée faxes and sends by courier (Servientrega); a copy of your fiancées passport, OF-169, DS-2001 and DS-230 part 1. If the Embassy gets these documents before the cut-off date (varies from month to month 16th to the 20th) then you get the interview the following month. If not by the cut-off date you get the interview the month after that. :yes:

After the NOA2 every thing moves fast so you need to make sure your fiancée and you get all the documents, paperwork, and all other stuff ready and send it to her. :thumbs:

Good luck,

Peter Miami

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I can tell there are very knowledgeable people on the k1 visa process. I was wondering if someone might be able to send me all and any information to help me and my fiancée Jenny, in Bogota Colombia, we are very much in love and want the rest of the process to go smoothly. I have sufficient MB room in my inbox, need forms, advice, checklist, details, and etc.etc. Etc. everything and anything you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Here is a brief timeline we met December 26th, 2006, engaged March 29th. 2007, I-129F petition received in California Service Center June 12th 2007, Approval notice received December 19th, 2007, ...... now just waiting on VSC to send it to Bogota. I am looking to do everything I can to expedite and insure an approved visa application.

Sincerely

Jorge ( elecpros )

elecpros@bellsouth.net

elecpros,

Go to this post and it will detail the steps you need to take.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1329162

Also you need to update your timeline... :thumbs:

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline

The charge now is $131.00 USD for the k-3 and k-1 visa application fee....you will not pay any other fee's at the Embassy, except the shipping charge from DOMESA to send the approved visa in passport to your house address....good luck

Edited by Brian and Yenys

Timeline

The charge now is $131.00 USD for the k-3 and k-1 visa application fee....you will not pay any other fee's at the Embassy, except the shipping charge from DOMESA to send the approved visa in passport to your house address....good luck

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated. Did you pick up your visa at the Domesa office in Bogota or did you have it sent to your home?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.