Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
This question arose during a conversation between my wife and I, and I was just wondering if anyone had an answer. If my wife and I have a child in the United States, can we apply for Colombian citizenship for the child, so that the child can have both U.S. and Colombian citizenship? Or would the child have to be born in Colombia in order to do that?

Dont Worry you can apply for the Colombian Citizenship for the Child, According with the Politic Constitution of Colombia in the ART. 96 .. Should be not problem for that.

(L) Brian and Yenys (L)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks. I am in Bogota and just stopped in to VJCC to catch up.

First of all, a belated Happy Holidays to everyone!

Next, good luck to Byron & Leidy and MV & JR! With all the information available here in the Colombia Club I know you must be better prepared than 99% of other couples so try to relax.

Our petition arrived at the embassy today (14 days after the NOA2) and we will be faxing in our package 3 response tomorrow.

Has anyone who has been through the interview had to deal with a less than ideal situation in regards to a common language? Bella speaks very little English and my Spanish is adequate for us to communicate because she goes slowly and is patient with me while I try to figure out what she is saying. On the other hand, if someone hits me with some rapid fire Spanish I can get lost very quickly.

This is the one area that worries me. I think we are very strong on everything else. I keeping seeing a scenario in my head where I get called into the interview and the CO makes no effort to help me understand the questions and my Spanish is judged to be inadequate. My biggest fear is that we are denied on the basis of a lack of a common language.

And finally, Bella already has her Certificado Judicial and it is dated June 21, 2007. Will this be acceptable for a February interview? I think I read several times that it is good for one year, but I can´t find confirmation that the embassy will accept one that old.

Thanks!

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline

Next, good luck to Byron & Leidy and MV & JR! With all the information available here in the Colombia Club I know you must be better prepared than 99% of other couples so try to relax.

Our petition arrived at the embassy today (14 days after the NOA2) and we will be faxing in our package 3 response tomorrow.

Has anyone who has been through the interview had to deal with a less than ideal situation in regards to a common language? Bella speaks very little English and my Spanish is adequate for us to communicate because she goes slowly and is patient with me while I try to figure out what she is saying. On the other hand, if someone hits me with some rapid fire Spanish I can get lost very quickly.

This is the one area that worries me. I think we are very strong on everything else. I keeping seeing a scenario in my head where I get called into the interview and the CO makes no effort to help me understand the questions and my Spanish is judged to be inadequate. My biggest fear is that we are denied on the basis of a lack of a common language.

And finally, Bella already has her Certificado Judicial and it is dated June 21, 2007. Will this be acceptable for a February interview? I think I read several times that it is good for one year, but I can´t find confirmation that the embassy will accept one that old.

Thanks!

Hi Bill, Congrats, Your Process is speeding up Now... It's very awesome!... Bella's Certicado Judicial Should be not problem, I had Mine Dated Old Too, We did not have any problem with that. If You send the Package 3 Tomorrow You may get a January Interview.

Happy New Year.

God Bless You,

(L) Brian and Yenys (L)

Timeline
This question arose during a conversation between my wife and I, and I was just wondering if anyone had an answer. If my wife and I have a child in the United States, can we apply for Colombian citizenship for the child, so that the child can have both U.S. and Colombian citizenship? Or would the child have to be born in Colombia in order to do that?

Hi Matt

Your kid will be able to have dual citizenship, because of your wife, if you want to do it here in the US you call the closest Colombian Embassy and find out what you need to bring, It won't be necessary (my opinion) unless you're planning in having the baby or later in life "the kid" to spend more than 3 months in Colombia.

I was born in Colombia and had my daughter here in the US, I went back to Colombia after my divorce and lived there for 8 yrs, I didn't know at the time I needed her to have a Colombian passport to travel out of Colombia, she was then "Illegal", I had to go and take a passport for her, but I went through a lot during the yrs. she was flying back and fort, make your life simple and save money.

Once again, it's just my opinion, because what I went through, I’ll not do it again unless it’s necessary.

Ana

First I want to thank everyone for their help.

Ana,

It is basically just my wife that wants the kids to have the dual citizenship. I have no objections to it, but I really do not see the need for it. She thinks it will make travel easier, but after reviewing the Dept of State site it said individuals holding dual citizenship in both the U.S. and Colombia need a Colombian passport to enter/exit Colombia and a U.S. passport to enter/exit the U.S.. Is this the trouble you ran into? So you would only recommend the dual citizenship if the children planned on spending more than 3 months in Colombia? I just want to do what is best, and I guess if them having dual citizenship makes her happy that is the right thing to do. :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks!

Hello Bill,

Sandy and I share the language problem as well. In my opinion our case is also very solid (thanks in part to this forum)!

Yet I also have in the back of my head, being called upon to answer some questions in Spanish or her in English. We are learning eachothers languages and using translation software along the way! I have in fact created a tabbed section in our "additional evidence of a solid relationship" folder, with a copied link to the software website as well as some sample translations! But yes it would be nice to know how others have handled this, if in fact it has been an issue or not!

Steve & Sandy

STEVE & SANDY Hill

Our K1 Timeline

Met online - March 30 2007

Sent I129 - June 15 2007

Received - June 18 2007

Check Cashed - June 22 2007

Recieved NOA1 - June 25 2007

Receved NOA2 - November 20 2007 (FINALLY)

NVC received - November 26 2007

NVC mailed DHL to Bogota - November 28 2007

Package received Embassy in Bogota - December 3 2007

Faxed Packet 3 to Embassy - December 3 2007

Interview - January 18 2008 APPROVED

POE - FLL Jan 25 (Hassle free & quick)

Marriage - Feb. 19th 2008

AOS - EAD - AP Timeline

Mailed AOS, EAD & AP - March 13th 2008

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox - March 15 2008

Signature confirmation of delivery - March 16 2008

Check's cashed - March 21 2008

NOA's recieved - March 23 2008

Biometrics - April 16 2008

AP & EAD Received - May 16 2008

AOS Touches - May 14 & 18 2008

AOS card production ordered - June 12 2008

AOS welcome package sent - June 12 2008

Green Card's Recieved (Sandy & Daughter) June 20 2008

Timeline

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

As long as its within 1yr, the Judicial will be OK.

The language issue is important as it is part of the CO repertoire in detecting fraudulent marriages. Make sure you highlight your Spanish skills and how she'll be learning English.

Happy Holidays!

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

I was born in the US and my parents are from Colombia. I have gone to Colombia well over fifty times as a child and was never even registered as a Colombian citizen until a few years ago.

My parents went to the Colombian consulate with me and filled out some paperwork. Later, I applied for my cedula but i have not gotten a Colombian passport. I still enter and exit Colombia with my US passport. There is no detriment to getting dual citizenship. I believe that a male child born in the US could be exempted from military service. You can always buy his "libreta militar" which will definitely keep him out.

Ana,

It is basically just my wife that wants the kids to have the dual citizenship. I have no objections to it, but I really do not see the need for it. She thinks it will make travel easier, but after reviewing the Dept of State site it said individuals holding dual citizenship in both the U.S. and Colombia need a Colombian passport to enter/exit Colombia and a U.S. passport to enter/exit the U.S.. Is this the trouble you ran into? So you would only recommend the dual citizenship if the children planned on spending more than 3 months in Colombia? I just want to do what is best, and I guess if them having dual citizenship makes her happy that is the right thing to do. :yes:

Edited by ColombianoGringo

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline

Hi Matt

Your kid will be able to have dual citizenship, because of your wife, if you want to do it here in the US you call the closest Colombian Embassy and find out what you need to bring, It won't be necessary (my opinion) unless you're planning in having the baby or later in life "the kid" to spend more than 3 months in Colombia.

I was born in Colombia and had my daughter here in the US, I went back to Colombia after my divorce and lived there for 8 yrs, I didn't know at the time I needed her to have a Colombian passport to travel out of Colombia, she was then "Illegal", I had to go and take a passport for her, but I went through a lot during the yrs. she was flying back and fort, make your life simple and save money.

Once again, it's just my opinion, because what I went through, I’ll not do it again unless it’s necessary.

Ana

Ana,

It will be their right to claim Colombian Citizenship... maybe they should be given the option to choose it?

I was born in the US and my parents are from Colombia. I have gone to Colombia well over fifty times as a child and was never even registered as a Colombian citizen until a few years ago.

My parents went to the Colombian consulate with me and filled out some paperwork. Later, I applied for my cedula but i have not gotten a Colombian passport. I still enter and exit Colombia with my US passport. There is no detriment to getting dual citizenship. I believe that a male child born in the US could be exempted from military service. You can always buy his "libreta militar" which will definitely keep him out.

Ana,

Also true!

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all! Tnks for the words of support, I am really nervous specially because I am going to the interview alone !!! Regarding the Pasado Judicial, since I went to the embassy last week to pick up package four I ask the lady if it would be ok to bring the one I had which expires on February, and she said it should be fine but It wouldn’t heart to get a new one.... so today I got a new one good for a year just in case!!

04/24/07 File sent

05/21/07 NOA1 (not mail)

05/24/07 Touched

06/14//07 Touched

It looks like we are having 3 interviews on Dec 31. Byron-Leidy, Neophi & MV-JR.

I already wished good luck to Byron & MV-JR so I need to also send some good thoughts to Neophi. Knock em dead Felipe & Silvia!

Best of luck to everyone. It will be so exciting to read about 3 approvals when I get back to the states on the 31st. :)

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sure... and if its a boy you can count on the young man being expected to do military service in Colombia... 18 months of it unless he got out of it.

lol I've had dual citizenship ever since I can remember and I did high school (except for senior year) in Bogota and never had to do military service. If that would ever happen just renounce the Colombian citizenship or defect back to the U.S. If you ever get caught on the street just play it as a gringo.

And now that I think about it, as far as I know, none of my friends from school did military service ever (even as Colombian citizens only). Maybe by paying libreta militar or something as someone mentioned in a previous post.

Benefits? None in the short run that I can think of other than voting in both countries but what if the U.S. crumbled or something you'll always also be a Colombian. Plus, if you ever decide moving back to Colombia you need your citizenship to work (unless you have a foreign business or something).

PS: SEE YOU GUYS ON MONDAY AT 5:30AM. :D Let me cut in line if I get there late hahahaha.

PSS: Thanks Bill and Bella for remembering us! Heheh.

Edited by neophi

Naturalization Timeline:

Jan. 03, 2020 - N-400 filed online

Jan. 23, 2020 - Biometrics appointment

Apr. 08, 2020 - Interview scheduled

I lift up my eyes to the hills—

where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,

the Maker of heaven and earth.

Timeline

May God bless us all on Monday as well as the CO!

Naturalization Timeline:

Timeline
PS: SEE YOU GUYS ON MONDAY AT 5:30AM. :D Let me cut in line if I get there late hahahaha.

PSS: Thanks Bill and Bella for remembering us! Heheh.

Felipe y Silvia,

:thumbs::thumbs:OMG...THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU GUYS ON THE 31st TOO !!! :thumbs::thumbs:

We didn't you forget guys...just a slight delay is all !!!! :lol:

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline

Haha no problem. Thanks.

Btw, my wife went to the medical exam today with Dr. Roa and it went fine. Rumors on Dr. Roa seem to but just that. Myth is bust imo.

She did have to get undressed and in the robe, but she never felt uncomfortable and he didn't give her any bad vibes, nor weird looks. That goes a long way because my wife is very discerning.

Edited by neophi

Naturalization Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.