Reiha

Overwhelmed

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, since this is my first time preparing the paperwork, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and would be eternally grateful for any advice or help!

I've read the gov site, googled, and read as many threads as I could from this forum, but I may have missed a few things and I'm just too darn slow sometimes -

1. Should I leave spaces on applications blank (when not writing "none"), or is filling every blank space with "N/A" ok? Do they find that annoying?

2. I make only 16k a year and have very little in my savings (due to the trip I made to see the fiance.) Will they deny our request because of that? He intends on getting a job as soon as he can, and my parents are giving us about 3k (dollars) while his parents are giving him 10k (euros). But that's not until after things are approved, so I won't be able to prove we have access to that.

3. Proof of an ongoing relationship - we never e-mail, chat on the phone, and barely chat on MSN - we use skype video to talk (it's free). I'm not really sure how to go about proving our ongoing relationship. Our MSN convos consist of "Are you awake? Get on skype." And that's it.

4. Pictures of us - are mostly up close, because we took the pictures ourselves. Will this look bad, without much of a background to look at?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Aug-Dec, ?, 2008: first became acquainted.

February 18th, 2010: began to court each other (LDR).

May 1st-8th, 2010: first met and proposed.

June 10th, 2010: Mailed I-129F package.

June 14th, 2010: package received by USCIS.

June 17th, 2010: paperwork sent to office.

June 18th, 2010: check cashed.

June 23th, 2010: touched.

June 28th, 2010: NoA received in mail.

June 30th, 2010: (apparently) touched.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, since this is my first time preparing the paperwork, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and would be eternally grateful for any advice or help!

I've read the gov site, googled, and read as many threads as I could from this forum, but I may have missed a few things and I'm just too darn slow sometimes -

1. Should I leave spaces on applications blank (when not writing "none"), or is filling every blank space with "N/A" ok? Do they find that annoying?

2. I make only 16k a year and have very little in my savings (due to the trip I made to see the fiance.) Will they deny our request because of that? He intends on getting a job as soon as he can, and my parents are giving us about 3k (dollars) while his parents are giving him 10k (euros). But that's not until after things are approved, so I won't be able to prove we have access to that.

3. Proof of an ongoing relationship - we never e-mail, chat on the phone, and barely chat on MSN - we use skype video to talk (it's free). I'm not really sure how to go about proving our ongoing relationship. Our MSN convos consist of "Are you awake? Get on skype." And that's it.

4. Pictures of us - are mostly up close, because we took the pictures ourselves. Will this look bad, without much of a background to look at?

Some spaces are OK if you have indicate a section answer is None already such as Previous Spouses's name, you could put NONE, then leave blank any spaces asking for date and place of marriage, date of divorce, etc... You do not need to get carried away and cover every blank spot with N/A or NONE. Use common sense.

You have until the Embassy/Consulate stage to either increase your cash flow, income, or find out if your Embassy/Consulate will accept a joint sponsor and find a joint sponsor. The 16K will not be sufficient income and the cash amounts you mention won't cover up the shortfall. His potential to find work will not be considered. Even if he had a job offer in writing it could be refused.

Technically you don't need proof of ongoing relationship although you did not mention your country Embassy/Consulate. Some you might Front-load as some people insiste you must. Start collecting and logging all communications. Start diversifying communications. I have read people have logs or records from skyp communications. Find out if you can figure it out.

If you have no other pictures what are you gonna do?

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi. We use video skype for the same reason you do. We are submitting Skype logs to the embassy for my fiance's interview next week.

Here's how to do it: If you are using a PC, go into your fiance's contact in your skype account, right click to get 'history'. If you use a PC you can copy paste it into a text file and print it. If you use a mac, it is a somewhat more complicated process. Highlight all of the calls to your sweetie, make the screen about 16 calls tall and proportionately wide so it looks like it will fit on an 8.5 by 11 sheet. Do a 'screen grab' to make a tiff file of sheet. Drop the tiff into photo editing software to convert the white text in the tiff to black so it is legible. Then drop the tiff into a word or other file and print. You will have to do this for each 'sheet' of skype video calls. It is an arduous process but it works. It is also helpful if both of your skype names are identifiable as you. I did a screen shot of my fiance's Skype 'about me' page to show his name because his 'handle' doesn't tie to him very well.

Audy_Rob suggested diversifying communication. Here's an economical option we used. I bought my fiance a Magic Jack (best $19.95 I have spent so far), set it up on my US computer, brought it to him, and added his Magic Jack number to my 'favorites' in my cell phone account. If you have ATT you can sign up for 5 favorite numbers which are treated as mobile to mobile calls. My sweetie can reach me on my cell for free. This is very convenient for us given the time difference.

Good luck with the Skype log

Timeline -
01-20-10 filed I-129 F
05-25-10 Interview - APPROVED
06-18-10 POE - ATL

08-07-10 Married!
08-09-10 AOS/EAD mailed
08-11-10 AOS/EAD received
08-19-10 NOA1 for AOS & EAD
09-14-10 AOS Transfered to CSC
09-24-10 Contacted USCIS to request Biometrics Appt.
10-18-10 Biometrics appointment
10-21-10 EAD card in production
10-21-10 AOS approved!
10-30-10 Green card received

08-09-12 filed I-751
09-07-12 Biometrics appointment

04-01-13 ROC approved

05-25-13 Green card received

Timeline

Thank you both so much for the information!

As for the photos, he'll come visit me in Seattle in a couple of months, so we'll get better photos this time around. We'll have to wait longer but it's better to wait & do it right than right away & poorly :)

Germany is a VWP country, and like many other VWP countries, they are by definition low-fraud, so your relationship evidence is not likely to be scrutinized very heavily (if at all). The exception I would put on that is if your fiance was not born in Germany (immigrated/only there on student visa) then you'll want to read up on reviews for the country where he is from.

Nik and I chiefly communicated via gmail chat and Skype, and used the Skype logs as proof. More than half of our pictures were as you described, just our faces taken from arm's length with no background. Sometimes we got a 'better' one with a blurry land mark.

Your concerns in 2-4 have to do with the consulate portion of the visa process, and if you want to beef up your evidence, you can work on that between now and then. No need to hold off on sending in the petition and delay your whole process (and his permanent move here!) for these reasons. Absolutely not if the only thing you are missing are more 'interesting' photos! These are secondary evidence, and not at all required for the petition phase of the process. Please be sure that when you are looking for advice regarding how your consulate reviews visas that you seek out consulate specific advice.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I'm sorry for the double post, but on review, I realized I forgot to address this.

It sounds to me like your parents are supportive of your decision, and perhaps they would be willing to co-sponsor your fiance's visa (and probably his AOS as well.) The forms are relatively simple, but the agreement behind the I-864 is a long standing one, and will outlast the marriage if things go sour.

Have a look at the required income (125% of poverty level) here: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf You can make up for the shortfall of about $2k by having 3x$2k in assets, or approximately $6k (minimum - this is not recommended, try to exceed the minimum if possible). Also, check if Germany allows the immigrant to use assets (not income!) to supplement the affidavit of support, perhaps his savings will push it over the top.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh, now you have the fiance(e)'s country posted. I see you are Western European. That changes things in terms of how high is the barrier for proving you have a bona fide relationship.

I did not mean to not submit the I-129F because the pictures do not have a background. I just made the comment you have no other pictures, you cannot do anything else. Go for it and submit it. You do not have to wait for his visit. However this time around make sure to keep all the documentation also and take a few decent pictures with recognizable landmarks.

You require the I-134 Affidavit of Support to be filed for your fiance(e)'s interview. That form has instructions but the instructions do not say the income level required, if you can use assets, how those assets should be converted to an income flow and they certainly say nothing about a joint sponsor.

You should try to find members that have gone through the German Embassy/Consulate you will use and see if there is an accepted standard for the I-134. Otherwise there really is no instructions you can rely on in advance.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Fiance was born and raised in Germany, so that's one less thing I need to worry about.

I'll have to talk to my parents about the co-sponsoring (pretty sure they'd help out) and look into it, so I'll keep all this info in mind and this thread bookmarked.

And sorry, but what's AOS?

Also, you guys are wonderful; I'd be totally lost without this forum! Much love.

Fiance was born and raised in Germany, so that's one less thing I need to worry about.

I'll have to talk to my parents about the co-sponsoring (pretty sure they'd help out) and look into it, so I'll keep all this info in mind and this thread bookmarked.

And sorry, but what's AOS?

Also, you guys are wonderful; I'd be totally lost without this forum! Much love.

It's Adjustment of Status (when talking about the K-1 visa) Some other visas it is the Affidavit of Support.

I would encourage you to read through and at least have a good understanding of the entire immigration process. The visa process is just one piece. Knowing what will come later will help you to take your steps now which will ease your way in the future. Contrary to popular misconception, just marrying you isn't enough for him to complete his immigration here. From petition to green card is $2k+ just in fees.

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Others have commented well on the first set of questions. Regarding the above....

Please know that you are involved in an international relationship. YOU have to prove to a complete stranger (the interviewing officer at the interview) that YOUR relationship is real and valid. YOU must provide that proof; you're spoken word is not enough.

Plan and do GENERATE various evidence that will assist you in your proof, EVEN IF YOU FEEL YOU DON"T NEED TO DO IT.

Mail some love letters to each other. Send some emails. Send some gifts. Do various things that reflect your love and committment and that will prove to a stranger that you really have a real relationship.

All of this evidence, when put together, should "tell your story". If you fail to tell a story, you could be denied. The ball is in your court and the onus is on you to provide proof.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree with what was said before: proof of relationship is essential and your fiance should be prepared to answer some indept questions at the interview at the consulate. E.g. they asked me details about his job, how much he earns, about his family and so on.

Also make sure, that you can take care of the financial aspects of all that. You will have to provide W2s and tax transcripts for recent years and the filing fee for AOS (after marriage) is another 1090$. Also take in consideration, that the whole process takes some time and some more time once you're married. I am in the States since November 2009 and still have no Employment Authorization.

But also: keep your faith and good luck. It's all worth it in the end :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks all for the info!

I have 104 pages of our skype logs... do I need to send it all in or maybe a dozen?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone on the skype forum created a skype call exporter that will export it to an excel file.

http://forum.skype.com/topic/87531-export-call-history/

when i did mine i just removed all calls that were under 2 hours (we talk a llllllllllott) it ended up going from like 60 pages to 12.

Edited by confusing

Timeline

Someone on the skype forum created a skype call exporter that will export it to an excel file.

http://forum.skype.com/topic/87531-export-call-history/

when i did mine i just removed all calls that were under 2 hours (we talk a llllllllllott) it ended up going from like 60 pages to 12.

Would they prefer it that way, or is it all right if I send in 104 pages worth? I don't have Excel on my computer. I've also already made a copy of the 104 pages and would just prefer to pay extra for shipping than deal with the Skype logs again. :/

Also, should I censor stuff not so... "PG" rated?

Also, should I censor stuff not so... "PG" rated?

Yes. All of it.

Would you want to read some one else's non-PG chats? (For a JOB - not for fun! :P)

Keep in mind that people who "playfully" refer to each other as husband and wife in chats/emails have been denied a K-1 visa. So, while reading your book of chat logs (totally unncessary, really) make sure you keep an eye out for that.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.