mahboula

Algeria- you can't choose your baby's name?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

OMG, I know that women had no clue what chlamydia was. LOL. When I worked in the ER, you would'nt believe the names we saw. One I remember sounded out "Padge-a-ma" but it was spelled Pajama. One had named her baby "Shithed" pronounced shith-ed. :wacko:

Meriem(F)

:blink::rofl:

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

if they are registered as being muslim then i think they require them to have a muslim name.

my husband sister named her first daughter farrah and then a few years later my husband told me that wasnt his sisters daughter name. i said...thats what u told me and he was ohhh she must have changed it. also his father changed his name and my step daughter goes by a nickname. he put one of his nephews on the phone once but didnt tell me who it was so i thought oh it must be his daughter and i knew she was taking english classes and knew she already knew...what is you name. boy did i get a surprise when he said hamza. i asked my husband who is hamza? he said my brothers son. i said his name is laith and he said i know. so it seams like no one uses their right names anyway over there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband knew about the list in Morocco. There was a story a few years ago when alot of women in Islamic countries

began naming their kids with "nonIslamic" names, like American names. Several Islamic countries began refusing to allow

people to pick names that weren't considered Islamic. Other names considered ok are names of The Old Testament Bible like

Sarah or Mary (Meryem). Of course this is only a concern if you choose to live in your SO's home country or try to

register your child in that country.

Deb

I've seen some doozies in the pharmacy! 1 was mr. azhat (like asshat lol). another was "thor assgard"... we had one named "candelabra". One lady had 3 daughters named "london, paris, and venice" (which I thot was kind of cool). there was also a "mr. ####### wang"... a "mrs. toots"... a man named "pink"....ohh sooo manyyy

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Esalaam,

I live in Algeria ... I never heard of this. You name your child what like. I named my children one name Algerian and the second what I choose ... no one had problem with that!

Where does she live?

She lives in Sidi bel Abbes. She had never heard of it either.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

She lives in Sidi bel Abbes. She had never heard of it either.

Well I ask around. No one ever heard of this. Maybe it's just local. But still insane! I know many people naming their kids here after Turkish soap opera stars ... none of those I know are Islamic yet they are not asked to change them. Also names like Linda and Nancy have become popular. Those are not Islmaic either!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.