Hazah

U.S. denying all tourist visas

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My MIL went to an immigration lawyer who told her that in 2009 most of the applicants who went to the U.S. on a tourist visa to visit their relative's newborn did not return to Ukraine, so the U.S. is now denying ALL tourist visas for this purpose. Has anyone else heard of this?

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My MIL went to an immigration lawyer who told her that in 2009 most of the applicants who went to the U.S. on a tourist visa to visit their relative's newborn did not return to Ukraine, so the U.S. is now denying ALL tourist visas for this purpose. Has anyone else heard of this?

I don't think that's true, but it IS hard to get a tourist visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't think that's true, but it IS hard to get a tourist visa.

My wife's son is filing for a tourist visa as we speak. I've tried to prepare my wife for a disappointment as I think his chance of success is slim. Too bad because if he wanted to, he could come here and live fairly easily, but as of now he's chosen to stay in Russia. He just wants to visit.

With that said, several people on this forum have mentioned they invited or knew FSU women who came here and overstayed their visas. I think this is rampant and it angers me because legitimate tourist applicants get punished.

My advice...don't invite someone over here you're not sure about. Don't enable visa cheats. And if they cheat...turn them in to DHS.

Timeline

My wife's son is filing for a tourist visa as we speak. I've tried to prepare my wife for a disappointment as I think his chance of success is slim. Too bad because if he wanted to, he could come here and live fairly easily, but as of now he's chosen to stay in Russia. He just wants to visit.

With that said, several people on this forum have mentioned they invited or knew FSU women who came here and overstayed their visas. I think this is rampant and it angers me because legitimate tourist applicants get punished.

My advice...don't invite someone over here you're not sure about. Don't enable visa cheats. And if they cheat...turn them in to DHS.

Yes the chances are extremely slim. I think an affidavit of support should be necessary or at least helpful in bringing someone on a tourist visa. In such a way the government has a way to punish at least someone other than the innocent. My MIL had 2 visas rejected for having insufficient ties to Ukraine even though the officer doesn't request or accept said documents. Lousy worthless government!

Filed: Other Timeline

Having a family member living in the US and willing to provide support for a tourist is a sure-fire way to get denied. The are afraid most tourists want to stay, kapiche? So if the tourist has family and a support member in the US, that's actually proof that they want to stay.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Having a family member living in the US and willing to provide support for a tourist is a sure-fire way to get denied. The are afraid most tourists want to stay, kapiche? So if the tourist has family and a support member in the US, that's actually proof that they want to stay.

Except children of a GC holder, if the marriage took place before the children were 17, can easily come anyway as a legal resident, so why would they use a tourist visa and overstay...jeopardizing this opportunity?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No. It is not true.

Denials of tourist visas are frequent in Ukraine, but each is approved or denied on its own merit, there are no blanket denials and a consulate does not have that authority. I would also be VERY surprised that if any large percentage of the visas they do issue are averstayed. This is simply bad information made from "whole cloth".

My guess is the attorney is lying to you or is misinformed. There is a much higher chance of that

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Not necessarlily Bob. It isn't "proof" of anything. I personally know several Ukraine/American couples that have received tourist visas for the parents and/or siblings and provided an invitation letter and affidavit of support. In fact, of the couples I know, NONE have been denied a tourist visa for their family members. Neither the invitation or the affidavit of support are required, but they were provided. Most commonly they are issued 5 year multi-entry visas.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My MIL was denied once again back in March. It is her 4th denial. a previous Schengen visa, home ownership, family members, et.al. did not make a difference. I accompanied her to the consulate but of course could not "sit in" on the interview. It was short...the C.O. just plainly told her should wouldn't get a visa. I spoke to a supervisor, nice guy, but I was told that the MIL is a "Borderline Case" and that "in cases like these the tie goes to the house" meaning the Government.

Our letter to the US Consul General was never answered. But get this: Even though she is denied a visitor visa she can still come over here by applying for a green card! Get the paradox here? They won't let her visit because they are afraid she'll stay....but she can come to live here permanently if we file a petition once the wife gets her citizenship next year! Can you hear the sarcasm in my words?

So, I'm guessing we'll be doing just that sometime in 2011.

Also: The supervisor told me that with each denial given it gets harder for the applicant to overcome the denials.

Good luck for anyone trying.

IR-5

11/01/2011: I-130 Submitted

11/04/2012: I-130 NOA1

04/19/2012: I-130 NOA2

05/04/2012: NVC Received

05/27/2012: Received I-864/DS 3032 Package

05/28/2012: Pay I-864 Bill

05/29/2012: Submit DS 3032/I-864

06/05/2012: Receive IV Bill online

06/05/2012: IV Bill Paid

06/06/2012: Payment Accepted

06/07/2012: IV Packet Mailed (Additional documents sent next day on 06/08/2012)

08/28/2012: Interview

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

My friend got a visa for his Ukrainian grandma-in-law to come here on a tourist visa for 6 months. Grandma is here now babysitting their newborn baby. The State Department is not afraid of 65+ year old babushkas overstaying to work illegally in the USA. They are wary of younger sister-in-laws and brother-in-laws who must show they have adequate ties at home to deter them from illegally immigrating. Nothing new.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

So what do you suggest that MIL or we say or do to get approval?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Okay well I guess I'm not surprised that a Ukrainian lawyer passed on misinformation.

I have a Ukrainian friend who came to the U.S. on a student visa and he was eventually able to become a permanent resident and bring his wife and son over after many years. He was even able to bring his retired father and mother over on separate occasions with no problem at all. He supplied an invitation letter, proof of financial security, and a letter of endorsement from a senator from our state and that's all from his end. On his parent's end they just supplied proof of residence and family in Ukraine and that's all! Simple visas with no questions asked. I have absolutely no idea how they succeeded since my friend isn't even a citizen yet. It's just luck I guess.

Timeline

My MIL was denied once again back in March. It is her 4th denial. a previous Schengen visa, home ownership, family members, et.al. did not make a difference. I accompanied her to the consulate but of course could not "sit in" on the interview. It was short...the C.O. just plainly told her should wouldn't get a visa. I spoke to a supervisor, nice guy, but I was told that the MIL is a "Borderline Case" and that "in cases like these the tie goes to the house" meaning the Government.

Our letter to the US Consul General was never answered. But get this: Even though she is denied a visitor visa she can still come over here by applying for a green card! Get the paradox here? They won't let her visit because they are afraid she'll stay....but she can come to live here permanently if we file a petition once the wife gets her citizenship next year! Can you hear the sarcasm in my words?

So, I'm guessing we'll be doing just that sometime in 2011.

Also: The supervisor told me that with each denial given it gets harder for the applicant to overcome the denials.

Good luck for anyone trying.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. For one, as the mother of a US citizen she would not be available for an immediate visa number, which means after the petition is apporved you will wait a period measured in years for a visa. Apply for and receiving an immigrant visa is not the same as overstaying a non-immigrant visa. For whatever reason she was not able to satisfy them she was not a risk.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My friend got a visa for his Ukrainian grandma-in-law to come here on a tourist visa for 6 months. Grandma is here now babysitting their newborn baby. The State Department is not afraid of 65+ year old babushkas overstaying to work illegally in the USA. They are wary of younger sister-in-laws and brother-in-laws who must show they have adequate ties at home to deter them from illegally immigrating. Nothing new.

I have heard this also, that if the MIL is retired and of retirement age, so to speak, it helps. I cannot confirm that.

So far my MIL has not expressed desire to come for even a visit. I guess we go there enough to satisfy her for the time being. Her health is not so wonderful and she doesn't want to travel so far. I may never find out first hand.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.