mtlgato

CRBA/ US passport for baby

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone--

I'm new here; I look forward to getting to know other people going through this process.

Right now, I'm waiting for a "case complete" from NVC...and then, of course, it's on to Montreal (after what'll probably be WAY too long a wait). I am the Canadian applicant; my husband is the USC. Our case has not been moving along very quickly (we filed the I-130 in September), but I don't think there's been any real reason other than just not-great luck. Anyway, I found out around the time our case got to NVC that I was pregnant. The baby is due at the beginning of October.

So, obviously I'm hoping to get through this process before the baby comes...and there's a chance, right? Of course, it would be a heck of a lot easier if I didn't have to fly to Montreal for the interview (I live in Vancouver now). I have to speak with my doctor about this, but atm I'm guessing that I shouldn't fly after about the beginning of Sept. So I have to hope for an interview date near the end of August at the very lastest. Obviously I would prefer June, July, or earlier in August...but I already know enough not to let myself get too optimistic.

This brings me to my question. If I don't get a summer interview, and the baby is necessarily born in Vancouver, how long will it take to get a US passport for the baby? Are we looking at weeks or months here? And if it's months, is it like 2 months, or 6? Just to be totally clear: my USC husband is the baby's bio father--so I know the baby should be elligible. Can this process be accomplished in Vancouver? Or is this another thing that can only be done in Montreal? If anyone has relevant experience, please share!

Timeline

Hi,

Here is a link to a thread discussing this very thing and has a review from someone who applied in Vancouver.

Oh and Montreal will not issue your visa until you have the report of birth abroad for your baby - so it's good you are thinking about this now as when the baby is born you can at least have all the documentation of your Husband's residency in the U.S. ready to go.

Good luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/247730-register-of-birth-abroad-suggestions/page__p__3833267__hl__report%20of%20birth%20abroad__fromsearch__1entry3833267

Edited by trailmix

After my daughters CRBA interview, I got her US passport in 4 weeks. Just a side note though, you only need the CRBA if you are driving across the border (that arrives after 10 business days).

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Hi Trailmix--

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that thread for me.

It will be very easy for us to supply the documentation of my husband's residency, but it is good to have the reminder.

Now, just to clarify: When you say that the Montreal consulate won't issue my visa if I don't have the CRBA for the baby...what exactly do you mean? If I'm still pregnant when the interview date comes, they won't delay things on purpose just to make sure I have the baby in Canada and then have to get the CRBA will they? That seems like a totally paranoid question even to be asking, I know...but this process is getting so ridiculous that nothing would surprise me anymore.

Hi,

Here is a link to a thread discussing this very thing and has a review from someone who applied in Vancouver.

Oh and Montreal will not issue your visa until you have the report of birth abroad for your baby - so it's good you are thinking about this now as when the baby is born you can at least have all the documentation of your Husband's residency in the U.S. ready to go.

Good luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/247730-register-of-birth-abroad-suggestions/page__p__3833267__hl__report%20of%20birth%20abroad__fromsearch__1entry3833267

Timeline

Thanks so much for replying. It's good to know at least that this process can be handled in Vancouver.

One thing is a little unclear to me, though: Are you saying that I can get a passport for the baby *without* the CRBA? Why is driving across the border different than flying?

Thanks again for your help!

After my daughters CRBA interview, I got her US passport in 4 weeks. Just a side note though, you only need the CRBA if you are driving across the border (that arrives after 10 business days).

Timeline

Thanks so much for replying. It's good to know at least that this process can be handled in Vancouver.

One thing is a little unclear to me, though: Are you saying that I can get a passport for the baby *without* the CRBA? Why is driving across the border different than flying?

Thanks again for your help!

You can get a passport without getting a registration of birth abroad or a certificate of citizenship. The proof that you need to supply is the same, your Husband's proof of residency in the U.S. etc.

Timeline

Oh, ok. So it sounds like the baby's papers aren't going to be the real problem. Sounds like getting the passport could cause a little delay, but nothing catastrophic.

The really big potential problem is: Is Montreal going to assign an interview date that I simply have to reschedule (like if it's right around my due date). *Then* I guess I could be in for like a horrible 6-month delay or something. I have, btw, written to NVC and the consulate advising them of this potential problem and asking them to take my due date into account. I don't know whether that was a mistake or not. They did ask for a doctor's note...so maybe they're at least potentially going to consider it...but I don't have much faith right now.

My due date is still 4 1/2 months away...so maybe we'll still make it on time...but maybe not :(

Thanks again so much.

You can get a passport without getting a registration of birth abroad or a certificate of citizenship. The proof that you need to supply is the same, your Husband's proof of residency in the U.S. etc.

I was in your same boat. I became pregnant 2 months after applying for my k-1. When the summer came and I heard MOntreal had recieved my packet, but had not sched. my interview date yet. I sent them an e-mail. In it I stated that I was 4 months pregnant and it could be verified by my OBG. But that I wanted to see if it was possible for my interview to be scheduled before October,for the health and safety of the baby, as I would be too far along in my pregnancy to travel safelty interview. They wrote me back and told me that I was sched. for a July interview and if it was too dangerous to travel at that time due to the pregnancy to write and let them know. I think the COnsulates in Canada can be a tad more accomodating as we are a low fraud country. JUdt be honest with them regarding the pregnancy timeline.

If you do end up giving birth in Canada, just have your US spouse apply for a birth abroad for your child and you can apply for their US passport very quickly and have it expedited.

Timeline

Well, I can get a note from my doctor on Thursday, and I'll make sure to email or fedex it to them that same day. I sort of have a hunch that it's because they're waiting on this note that they have stalled on giving me a "case closed." I did call and ask whether or not something along those lines could be going on...but the operator *said* no, until the doctor's note arrived my case would be treated like any other case. I sort of don't believe her, though. I think I got shuffled out of the regular pile as soon as I brought up this whole issue. But that's just my hunch.

Anyway, I will get (and send) the note on Thursday. Actually, I'll ask for two notes. I might as well get the one I'll need for the medical (to get me excused from the chest Xray) while I'm at it.

c.

Timeline

Wow! Thanks for letting me know about your experience. This is the first time I've read anything suggesting that Montreal ever accommodates *anything*! I had the impression that it was one of the worst consulates to deal with: always very backed up, never answering their email/ phones, etc.

Anyway, you've given me a sliver of hope.

C

I was in your same boat. I became pregnant 2 months after applying for my k-1. When the summer came and I heard MOntreal had recieved my packet, but had not sched. my interview date yet. I sent them an e-mail. In it I stated that I was 4 months pregnant and it could be verified by my OBG. But that I wanted to see if it was possible for my interview to be scheduled before October,for the health and safety of the baby, as I would be too far along in my pregnancy to travel safelty interview. They wrote me back and told me that I was sched. for a July interview and if it was too dangerous to travel at that time due to the pregnancy to write and let them know. I think the COnsulates in Canada can be a tad more accomodating as we are a low fraud country. JUdt be honest with them regarding the pregnancy timeline.

If you do end up giving birth in Canada, just have your US spouse apply for a birth abroad for your child and you can apply for their US passport very quickly and have it expedited.

Timeline

Hi there and welcome to the forum. We just did the register of birth abroad for our two kids in Vancouver. They'll do the passport at the same time, just follow the links on the Vancouver Consulate to book your appt. If there's anything I can answer, just let me know.

I-130 Received Date per letter Feb 22, 2010

I-130 NOA1 Notice Date per letter Feb 28, 2010

I-130 Touched March 2, 2010

I-130 Touched March 23, 2010 no e-mail despite e-mail alert on, thankful nonetheless!

Kids Register of Birth Abroad & passport appointment March 31st, 2010 approved.

I-129F NOA1 April 8, 2010 (Let's see what happens with this K3 application) ugh!

I-129F Touched June 15, 2010

I-129F RFE (our atty forgot to complete 2 lines)

I-130 Approved June 23, 2010 121 days from NOA1

I-129F RFE details Received by USCIS July 7, 2010

I-130 Case # at NVC obtained July 8, 2010

I-130 NVC sent affidavit of support and visa bills July 8, 2010

I-129F approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

I-129F confirmed received by NVC and per supervisor, it will be administratively closed

I-129F letter recvd of administratively closed K3 app Aug 2, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.