19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I never thought it would happen, but Glen and I split up. I will spare you the details for now, but I don't know where to go from here, and I need some help.

He's moved back to England because I asked him to leave. I have no idea where he is, though. How do I divorce him? I don't want to talk to him and therefore I can't get his location. Plus, I don't think he actually has an address, but is just staying with friends. I can't serve him with divorce papers because I don't know where he is. I can't post a Summons for Divorce in a national newspaper (which is what my lawyer told me to do) because it's costs $9000.

Is there a period of time that we need to be living apart which will allow me to file for divorce whether I know where he is or not? Like a year or two?

I am the one who kicked him out, so I doubt I could file based on abandonment, even though the break-up of the marriage was more his fault than mine.

PLEASE HELP!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Each state has a different law about divorce. In California you need to post in the local "official" paper for X weeks. This is usually about the same price as a classified ad. What state are you in ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If he is back in the UK, he doesn't need to be served. If your state is no-fault, ( the reason for the breakdown in the marriage regardless of who's 'fault' it was and why you are divorcing really doesn't matter ),you can get the divorce, show up in court and win by default because obviously he will not show. He doesn't even need a copy of the divorce decree. Let him figure out how to get it. And yes, you need to post an ad in the local newspaper. You are paying to retain council, let your lawyer handle it.

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Each state has a different law about divorce. In California you need to post in the local "official" paper for X weeks. This is usually about the same price as a classified ad. What state are you in ?

#######?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

so is someone gonna move this to the changes forum? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

~*Moved from "Off Topic" to "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"*~

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

If he is back in the UK, he doesn't need to be served. If your state is no-fault, ( the reason for the breakdown in the marriage regardless of who's 'fault' it was and why you are divorcing really doesn't matter ),you can get the divorce, show up in court and win by default because obviously he will not show. He doesn't even need a copy of the divorce decree. Let him figure out how to get it. And yes, you need to post an ad in the local newspaper. You are paying to retain council, let your lawyer handle it.

So, local paper, you mean a UK paper? Because I have no idea WHERE in England he is, so therefore I'd have to post it in a national paper there, and they quoted me at $9000. This is crazy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What kind of notice did you price ? Is it a legal notice ? You sound like you are taking out a full page ad. Is that the price for a 2 line classified ad

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

YOu might want to review your local state guidelines for posting the divorce notice - instead of relying on your attorney to take yer 9000 to pay for a national advert.

Many states only require 'local paper notification', that local paper where the FILER (in this case, YOU) resides.

If yer confused, check the court that has jurisdiction - they SHOULD have a web site with the process outlined. If not, get into that county courthouse, ask the clerk of the court's office about it.

You can file the divorce paperwork without his signature, but pay particular attention to the 'living apart timelines/guidelines' for your state.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

YOu might want to review your local state guidelines for posting the divorce notice - instead of relying on your attorney to take yer 9000 to pay for a national advert.

Many states only require 'local paper notification', that local paper where the FILER (in this case, YOU) resides.

If yer confused, check the court that has jurisdiction - they SHOULD have a web site with the process outlined. If not, get into that county courthouse, ask the clerk of the court's office about it.

You can file the divorce paperwork without his signature, but pay particular attention to the 'living apart timelines/guidelines' for your state.

Yeah, I'd find a new attorney or do without one. Bear in mind you actually don't know where your husband is, so you also don't know he's in any particular country. Check on your State's filing by publication rules.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

My lawyer wasn't going to take $9000. She only charged me for a 1/2 an hour because she was trying to save me as much money as she could. I guess I'm asking how I can find out the laws without actually having to pay for a lawyer to give me advice that they aren't actually sure about. Everyone I've talked to wants to do the whole divorce or nothing. She was the only one who'd give me any advice at all. And she obviously didn't know.

My lawyer wasn't going to take $9000. She only charged me for a 1/2 an hour because she was trying to save me as much money as she could. I guess I'm asking how I can find out the laws without actually having to pay for a lawyer to give me advice that they aren't actually sure about. Everyone I've talked to wants to do the whole divorce or nothing. She was the only one who'd give me any advice at all. And she obviously didn't know.

You can try the Circuit Clerk, Registrar Office, or whatever they are called in your area (I'm referring to the official body wherein domestic cases are filed and recorded). Most of these offices will have a 'pro bono' packet wherein persons may file their own domestic paperwork.

However, the situation you are in is not the norm. The answers to your questions may not be found in 'do it yourself' instructions. Who is the divorce 'expert' in your town? There are usually at least one or two attorneys (even in small cities) who specialize in this area. I would call the office of a local expert and ask how much a consult would be. Your attorney may not be an expert in divorce law.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Other Timeline

One more time in American English: what State of the Union are you in?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I never thought it would happen, but Glen and I split up. I will spare you the details for now, but I don't know where to go from here, and I need some help.

He's moved back to England because I asked him to leave. I have no idea where he is, though. How do I divorce him? I don't want to talk to him and therefore I can't get his location. Plus, I don't think he actually has an address, but is just staying with friends. I can't serve him with divorce papers because I don't know where he is. I can't post a Summons for Divorce in a national newspaper (which is what my lawyer told me to do) because it's costs $9000.

Is there a period of time that we need to be living apart which will allow me to file for divorce whether I know where he is or not? Like a year or two?

I am the one who kicked him out, so I doubt I could file based on abandonment, even though the break-up of the marriage was more his fault than mine.

PLEASE HELP!!

Can you contact his family? I'm sure he wants the divorce settled as quick as you. So perhaps you could put a notice in his family's town paper? Or serve him at that address? Could you email him and ask for a current address so you can "both move on with your lives"?

I'm sorry. It's never easy. I wish you all the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.