elmcitymaven

Irritating BS your SO does

1,246 posts in this topic

Speaking of imported beer... How hard is it for people in other states to find their favorites? Utah liquor stores don't sell Belhaven at all and Colorado only sells one type of Belhaven... but it's not Belhaven's Best like Dave has been wanting. Is it easy to find what you want in California and other states?

Sigh. Most of the stuff I want is not in the regular shops, although I have recently located a place where I can stock up on Adnams. California has a fair few microbreweries, and I am slowly working my way through the chiller case at the package store -- purely for scientific purposes. I have yet to see any of the Connecticut microbrews out here, but that's not a surprise. I was surprised that I couldn't find Yuengling though. Never had a Belhaven.

Edit to add: now I want a beer! mad.gif My erstwhile pseudo-husband is still around the house at the moment and frowns on afternoon drinkin', so I shall have to wait for him to ####### off.

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Have you been to BevMo Maven? They have a great selection, and good prices. There are a few beer warehouses in the valley, but I haven't been to them in quite some time.

Aye aye, Cap'n Rob. There's a BevMo out here in the Empire Center. When I walked in the doors for the first time, it was like the scene when the kids are first led into the chocolate room in Willy Wonka. I think I even heard Gene Wilder singing in the background as I hugged myself and spun around with a grin on my face.

Oi! I tell a story where I nearly died from a mickey in my drink and you two booze hounds are too busy discussing that sweet, forbidden nectar to even notice!

*hrmph*

Sorry Lisa. The pull of booze is too strong!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oi! I tell a story where I nearly died from a mickey in my drink and you two booze hounds are too busy discussing that sweet, forbidden nectar to even notice!

*hrmph*

Yowza, sorry, I got a bit carried away :blush:

Aye aye, Cap'n Rob. There's a BevMo out here in the Empire Center. When I walked in the doors for the first time, it was like the scene when the kids are first led into the chocolate room in Willy Wonka. I think I even heard Gene Wilder singing in the background as I hugged myself and spun around with a grin on my face.

I had a similar reaction the first time someone took me there. But without the song and imagery. Thanks. I now have this song and scene stuck in my head for the balance of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nV6WqA4Y0

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

*hrmph*

Yes, it sounds like something was in your drink. I had an experience where I couldn't move or talk, but I felt pretty awake.

I AM SO GOING THERE ON OUR DISNEY TRIP THIS FALL!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Timeline

Sorry Lisa. The pull of booze is too strong!

Yes, I remember it all too fondly, *sob*

There's also a gigantic Super Target and an ace Marshalls there, plus Ulta Cosmetics and Best Buy for all your shopping needs. All manner of goodness may be found in the Valley.

Edit to add: in spite of what LA people may say, the Valley rocks. :D

Edit to also add: Veruca Salt has long been a personal hero of mine; she didn't deserve that ending. No she did not.crying.gif

Edited by elmcitymaven

Timeline

There's also a gigantic Super Target and an ace Marshalls there, plus Ulta Cosmetics and Best Buy for all your shopping needs. All manner of goodness may be found in the Valley.

Edit to add: in spite of what LA people may say, the Valley rocks. :D

Edit to also add: Veruca Salt has long been a personal hero of mine; she didn't deserve that ending. No she did not.crying.gif

The valley can be miserable though. I remember El Nino and half the valley was under 10 feet of water. And no matter what the weather is in L.A., it is at least 10% more extreme in the valley. But in defense of the valley.... there is nothing like a twilight BBQ on a saturday. The weather is hot, but quite comfortable, and there is no humidity. It's like you feel like you can walk around in board shorts and flip flops forever. God i sound like a surfer retard saying that. :blush:

The valley can be miserable though. I remember El Nino and half the valley was under 10 feet of water. And no matter what the weather is in L.A., it is at least 10% more extreme in the valley. But in defense of the valley.... there is nothing like a twilight BBQ on a saturday. The weather is hot, but quite comfortable, and there is no humidity. It's like you feel like you can walk around in board shorts and flip flops forever. God i sound like a surfer retard saying that. :blush:

Ummmm, you aren't a surfer retard?

Driving down Colorado Boulevard in my convertible with the top down in February -- ain't nothin' like it. I'm getting used to the summers; with central AC it's bearable. I just don't emerge before 6pm. The douchebaggery in Burbank is low compared with what you get just a short drive down Cahuenga into Hollywood. Burbank is like the land time forgot, like Mayberry plunked down in Southern California. I wish it had a few better places to drink (although I adore the Blue Room, which I would have gone to with Melissa had she not blabbed it all over the place) but overall I'm glad we're (I'm?) here rather than in Elysian Heights, which is the other place we were looking.

Timeline

Ummmm, you aren't a surfer retard?

Driving down Colorado Boulevard in my convertible with the top down in February -- ain't nothin' like it. I'm getting used to the summers; with central AC it's bearable. I just don't emerge before 6pm. The douchebaggery in Burbank is low compared with what you get just a short drive down Cahuenga into Hollywood. Burbank is like the land time forgot, like Mayberry plunked down in Southern California. I wish it had a few better places to drink (although I adore the Blue Room, which I would have gone to with Melissa had she not blabbed it all over the place) but overall I'm glad we're (I'm?) here rather than in Elysian Heights, which is the other place we were looking.

I've been to Burbank numerous times, but never really hung out there outside of the occasional house party. It always seemed to have skirted that L.A. aura/slime and had a charm of it's own. I live in Rolling Hills/Palos Verdes, a time stuck in 1984. People there, I sh!t you not, have ronald reagan stickers on their cars. It's a really nice neighborhood and all, but I really want to live up in West L.A., or even the new developments in Downtown L.A. around Dodger Stadium. They are really nice. I avoid Hollywood like the plague nowadays. It just seems like The Hills in real life, I get that feeling that I need a shower ASAP after driving through it.

Edit: I'm not a surfer retard..... anymore :lol:

One of the girls in my freshman dorm was from Palos Verdes -- to me, a callow and cynical East Coast snobling of a teen, she seemed like the epitome of the LA area. It was like looking at a creature from another planet. I hadn't worn a stitch of clothing in anything but black in years and she wore OP tank tops and flirty sundresses a la Kelly Martin in 90210. It felt like a personal affront.

Hollywood can go f^ck itself in the posterior. Parking a joke; driving a joke. It's a challenge not to hit the f^cktards wandering in front of your car as you pass by the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum; you are part of the scenery and supplied by the Walt Disney Co for their amusement. The people in the bars and restaurant make me want to ask god for a refund back on my life because I couldn't possibly be made of the same genetic materials as these things.

Yeah, Elysian Heights/Elysian Park is right near Dodger Stadium and I like it too. I think if I ever get it in mind to move, I'll probably move to South Pasadena, which has its own laid back vibe (and Metro stop!). Downtown I'd be afraid of getting knifed by someone wandering off of Skid Row, lit up on Wild Irish Rose. I'm so much less adventurous than I used to be!

I'm a little ray of sunshine!star_smile.gif

Timeline

I keep moving a little bit further outside of Los Angeles. I love the city, but it's not what it used to be. Yeah, you've about summed up Palos Verdes, quite succintly. I'd move, but we are quite skint atm, and my wife is about to embark upon her job searching. Should be interesting. Ohhhhh speaking of which, I am off to go pick her up at the airport. Have a great evening everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.