Tater&Bugger

Name on Passport vs other docs

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just thought of something... all my legal documents and forms have my full names, however when my passport was made years ago they stupidly left out my middle name. I've had a problem once (getting my mortgage) with my passport as id. On my K-1 petition forms we have used my full name, will this cause a problem? I never though of it until now and am going to drop it off in the mail today. Oh oh.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

It's annoying because I put it to be on my passport like 12 years ago because there is another person in the SAME city as me with similar features... so annoying. I didn't think it would be a prob on second thought because they only seem to be specific if there has been changes in last name, and my official name really does include my middle name.

Thanks

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

Filed: Other Timeline

I just thought of something... all my legal documents and forms have my full names, however when my passport was made years ago they stupidly left out my middle name. I've had a problem once (getting my mortgage) with my passport as id. On my K-1 petition forms we have used my full name, will this cause a problem? I never though of it until now and am going to drop it off in the mail today. Oh oh.

It's annoying because I put it to be on my passport like 12 years ago because there is another person in the SAME city as me with similar features... so annoying. I didn't think it would be a prob on second thought because they only seem to be specific if there has been changes in last name, and my official name really does include my middle name.

Thanks

Tater-I don't know about K1 visas...

But I do know that whatever name that you want to use on your future US green card, US ssn card , US driver's license, and other US identification should be consistent, as that is used as identification purposes around here, and getting that messed up would be costly and time-consuming to get fixed (as I'm some VJers can tell you about this too)...For example, even something as simple as a maiden name on one document, versus a married name on another document, can be viewed as a 'mismatch' on some government computer systems, despite it being the same person...Antoher example, would be if there is a name error on your end for the green card, it's another $300+ for a replacement...Yet another example would be a mortgage/real estate deals, where they do title/name seraches, which includes middle names too. Lol..I remember when we bought the land for our house here in the USA...And the seller had forgot to put their deceased wife's middle name in the first search..So they had to do yet another search with her name, which made the deed documents look funny too..lol...

So the bottom line is: Whatever name you use, just be consistent amongst US documents....

And make sure they spell your name/names correctly too, whatever name you use!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Same situation - passport missing middle name, all other docs include it.

At the consulate, the woman processing my paperwork did say that I should make an effort to change it, but I've never had an issue with it before or since.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

It's only my passport that is missing my middle name. Otherwise it is ALWAYS included, and I plan to keep it that way. Which is the honest truth, there is no sneaky business. I tried changing my passport when I had it renewed but the people there said that I would need to start a whole new passport application process. At the time I was working for an airline and could not afford to be without a passport and didn't have a lot of money, so could not afford the whole new passport process. I could now, but now I can't afford the time. My birth certificate, health card, SIN info, driver's license and all have my full name.

I've sent the package off this morning!

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

I know how annoying that is. My VISA has my full name, first, middle, last and my social has only my first and last name. I want to change it but I'm going to wait on my greencard and see what name it has before I do anything. I hope you get your name issue resolved soon dear. :)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It shouldn't really matter in the long run. Since my passport didn't have my middle name in it, my visa didn't have my middle name. But when I applied for AOS I included my middle name on the forms, so now my GC has my middle name on it, and therefore all of my ID down here has my first, middle and last names on it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.