Ramsis

is this the right way to do it? - Egypt

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

hi first congratulation for ur marriage

http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm

that page in the usa embassy site in egypt it is have every thing that u have to do to get married and after u marry too wish to u all the good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Amy... I need to go to the consulate to get permission to marry???? i never heard that one before? I was going to put my citizenship as an American in the marriage certificate i heard it might speed up the process when it shows that i am an American in the translated Egyptian marriage certificate.

But i did not know that i have to go to the American consulate in Egypt to get permission to marry?

I just noticed that you are a Naturalized US Citizen, I'm not sure if that changes anything or not. Are you originally from Egypt? If so, that may make a difference regarding what you have to do. I would just check with the Embassy and see what they say. As a US Citizen, I had to fill out a marriage affidavit stating I was free to marry.

may be because you are a girl you have to get permission

Hi,

Gender plays no role in the affidavit required for marriage from the US Embassy. If you are going to Egypt to marry and enter as a US Citizen bearing a US passport, then you will have to go to the Embassy to obtain an affidavit from them in order to get married at the Ministry of Justice. The paper you will receive from the embassy simply states that you are free to marry...nothing more and nothing less. There are quite a few steps to follow in order for American citizens to get married there and I believe someone already posted the link from the embassy website. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Never, Never, Never Quit!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi guys, i wanted to ask you if what i think is close to the real thing.

- I am traveling to Egypt in September to get married.

- When i return to the US i will file a CR1 petition for my wife so i can bring her to the US.

- Once approved and case transferred to the Embassy in Cairo, she will receive a package in the mail requesting documents.

- She will send those documents via mail and wait for the embassy to set an interview.

My Questions are:

1- Is what i mentioned above correct?

2- Is a CR1 the fastest way i can bring her to the US?

3- Is it true that it can take from 6 to 9 month before she receives the visa on her passport?

4- Do i have to be there for her interview?

5- Will she have to pay for any more fees in Egypt?

Thank you So much for your help smile.gif

Perhaps it would be better if your fiancee contacts the embassy in Cairo and they can give her exactly

what you would need to do. I do believe, and I may be wrong, but i'm assuming you are a dual citizen now,

that you would be able to marry without going thru the embassy for the free to marry affidavit.

Still it would be to your best interest to have all the right information before your marriage. Best of luck and

congratulations!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Timeline

Amy... I need to go to the consulate to get permission to marry???? i never heard that one before? I was going to put my citizenship as an American in the marriage certificate i heard it might speed up the process when it shows that i am an American in the translated Egyptian marriage certificate.

But i did not know that i have to go to the American consulate in Egypt to get permission to marry?

Hi Ramsis,

You need to go to the American Service area at the US embassy in Cairo to obtain an affidavit saying you are single and eligible to get married. It's a paper that they notarize that you take with you when you apply for the marriage contract. It is in english and arabic. If you don't write arabic, your SO can translate it and write it on the form. Here is the website from the embassy with the info.

http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm

It's not that difficult. Just remember to get there early in the morning to get it. I think the embassy opens at 8 am and closes at 11 am. We were there at 8 and got right in to get the paper. When you get to the embassy go right up to the door and show them your US passport and they will let you in on the right side of the office for the American service.

Good luck with it all!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the good information, i understand now the whole process at the US embassy.

Here is where i can not decided on

I have both an American passport and an Egyptian passport...i don't care which one i use, however. i heard that if use the American passport and they put down on the marriage certificate that i have an American nationality and my wife is Egyptian. Which will speed up the visa process a little bit. Yes or NO?

If this is not going to speed up the process then i will just use the Egyptian passport to avoid getting that affidavit from the US Embassy.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the good information, i understand now the whole process at the US embassy.

Here is where i can not decided on

I have both an American passport and an Egyptian passport...i don't care which one i use, however. i heard that if use the American passport and they put down on the marriage certificate that i have an American nationality and my wife is Egyptian. Which will speed up the visa process a little bit. Yes or NO?

If this is not going to speed up the process then i will just use the Egyptian passport to avoid getting that affidavit from the US Embassy.

Ok it didn't work the first time I posted this response..let me try again!

From what I understand, the affidavit of eligibility is ONLY for the Egyptian Ministry. They want to make sure you are not married at this time to someone else.

They will accept a notarized letter from the US embassy stating that you are not married in the US.

So, if you use your Egyptian passport to get married to your Egyptian fiance, wouldn't you still have to fill out an eligibility form for the Egyptian Ministry?

Using your American passport will not speed up the process of bringing your wife to the US. It will prove that you are an American Citizen which will make you eligible to apply for a visa for your wife to come to the US to live with you.

You will still need to apply and do all the things and get all the papers necessary to get your wife here with you.

So one way or another, all the marriage paperwork you are doing in Egypt is for the actual marriage. What you need to do for the visa application, is to get the marriage contract translated into english and documented that it is a true translation while you are in Egypt to bring back to the US to submit in with the visa application.

I hope this clears things up for you!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.