Vizzle M.

DS-160

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been totally stressed for weeks because I've asked for my interview and heard nothing. I was just browsing through the London US embassy site to see if there is something I missed or something I did wrong and I noticed that the DS-160 has been released and that it says the 156 will no longer be accepted. The page that my original embassy letter told me to go to still asks for the 156, but I have no idea if I've maybe done something incorrectly or not sent something or if I'm now supposed to be filling out the 160.

I'm planning on calling them this afternoon with the hope of not irritating them. But if anyone has any solid answers on this, it would be awesome, as well as expected wait times to be given an interview date. The rest of my process was fairly rapid so now I'm just frustrated and paranoid that this is taking so long.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Vizzle,

I assume you're applying for a K-1 visa as you've posted in the K-1 thread, but your profile just says N/A...

The DS-160 seems to be causing some confusion, as the London embassy website states that it has replaced the DS-156 for all non-immigrant visas, yet it also indicates that this does not apply for K-1 visas (K visas are not included on the list of non-immigrant visas that the 160 relates to - http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html ).

Common sense would dictate that if you sent in the exact documents (i.e. 156) as specified in your Packet 3 letter, this will be accepted by the embassy and there would be no requirement to change this. This is just my opinion though, I can't speak from experience yet i'm afraid.

Unfortunately the wait time for interviews seems to be a couple of months minimum at the moment, we're still waiting for Packet 3 and it's just so frustrating that even when I complete and return it, there will still be a long wait ahead to get an interview. Good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine with what you've sent and I hope you get your interview date soon.

Edited by MrStrain14

See Profile for full K-1 timeline...summary:

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

17 Jun 2010 - Interview...APPROVED!

17 Jul 2010 - LHR to ATL. POE: JFK

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

23 Oct 2010 - Filed for AOS, EAD & AP

29 Mar 2011 - APPROVED!!! (2 NOAs for medical info)

04 Apr 2011 - GC In Hand.

Interviews in London tend to be assigned all at once in big chunks. Could be you just missed one interview cycle. Have you been following the 2010 interview thread in the UK forum? You may be able to tell from people posting the receipt of their interview dates where they are in that cycle.

It's hard for anyone to say for sure, because, as you note, it's a new thing, so there won't be any experience here, and this is an experience based board. You may have to be our guinea pig! I would fill out the new form and bring it to the interview, or have it ready in case London mails you back and asks for you to send that in instead.

All the best.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Vizzle,

I assume you're applying for a K-1 visa as you've posted in the K-1 thread, but your profile just says N/A...

The DS-160 seems to be causing some confusion, as the London embassy website states that it has replaced the DS-156 for all non-immigrant visas, yet it also indicates that this does not apply for K-1 visas (K visas are not included on the list of non-immigrant visas that the 160 relates to - http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html ).

Common sense would dictate that if you sent in the exact documents (i.e. 156) as specified in your Packet 3 letter, this will be accepted by the embassy and there would be no requirement to change this. This is just my opinion though, I can't speak from experience yet i'm afraid.

Unfortunately the wait time for interviews seems to be a couple of months minimum at the moment, we're still waiting for Packet 3 and it's just so frustrating that even when I complete and return it, there will still be a long wait ahead to get an interview. Good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine with what you've sent and I hope you get your interview date soon.

I sent my packet 3 back on the 25th March and have called DOS who have said that London has received it and are processing it for the interview date, i'm guessing i will have to wait a couple more weeks. come on over to the 2010 interview thread in the UK forum as there are a few of us all waiting for dates it also gives contact numbers of DOS. Good luck

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-27

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-25

NVC Received : 2010-03-01

NVC Left : 2010-03-04

Requested police report by post : 2010-03-08

Consulate Received : 2010-03-09

Medical Booked 2010-03-30

Packet 3 Received : 2010-03-24

Police report received : 2010-03-25

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-03-25

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-24

Interview Date : 2010-05-11

Interview Result :Approved

Visa Received : 2010-05-19

US Entry : 2010-06-18

Marriage : 2010-07-24

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 90 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The DS-160 is NOT used for K-1 visas, at all. Stop stressing, and DO NOT USE THIS FORM.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Sorry for 'piling on' but I found this in the FAQ of the DOS website. I hope this helps.

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancee Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

It is important to check the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply for your nonimmigrant visa for information on the application process in place. Embassies and consulates worldwide will transition one-by-one to the DS-160. Therefore, those Embassies which have not yet converted to the new DS-160 online form continue to require all application forms, as necessary.

Timeline -
01-20-10 filed I-129 F
05-25-10 Interview - APPROVED
06-18-10 POE - ATL

08-07-10 Married!
08-09-10 AOS/EAD mailed
08-11-10 AOS/EAD received
08-19-10 NOA1 for AOS & EAD
09-14-10 AOS Transfered to CSC
09-24-10 Contacted USCIS to request Biometrics Appt.
10-18-10 Biometrics appointment
10-21-10 EAD card in production
10-21-10 AOS approved!
10-30-10 Green card received

08-09-12 filed I-751
09-07-12 Biometrics appointment

04-01-13 ROC approved

05-25-13 Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.