StarA

Migrating family....... need some little advise :(

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

hi guys...

have a question here...i read the guides, some forums here...doesnt make sense...

i was told u CANT bring siblings to Us..only parents....

i read the VISA BULLETIN but..with my reading disability no way that would make i any sense

I really want to have my family here from europe. my parents, and 2 brothers 1 sister..all above 21 years old...

thought i had to petition my parents, and after that they petitioning my brothers and sister...but what is the best way?

thank you so much in advance...

Edited by StarA

you,as a US citizen can petition your parents and siblings. It takes 6 -12 months in petitioning parents but siblings could take years. I am not sure about Europe but it can take 12yrs to 20 yrs to petion a sibling. Easiest way, you petition your parents and when they arrive here, they can petition your siblings cause grenn card holders can petition kids though it will take alot of years too .

I130 for mom

NOA1 March 1,2010

touched April 8,2010

email approval 6/23/10

NOA2 received 6/28/2010

NVC case# assigned 7/2/2010

aos fee bill&ds3032 received 7/8/2010

aos fee paid and emailed ds3032 7/8/2010

iv bill paid 7/12/10

iv packet mailed 7/13/10

aos packet scanned 7/20/10

iv packet scanned 7/22/10

case complete 8/18/10

Hi!

Oh..my..god...u kidding me? that many years?????

Q1. ok so the fastest way for them ALL to be here quicker is if i get my parents here and thehy petition for my siblings right?

Q2. how long approximately u think it can take?

Q3. I mean..besides that uscis is sooo slooow with paperwork, why does it take so long time ?

thanx!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi!

Q1. ok so the fastest way for them ALL to be here quicker is if i get my parents here and thehy petition for my siblings right?

Q3. I mean..besides that uscis is sooo slooow with paperwork, why does it take so long time ?

thanx!

your parents would be able to petition for single children and it will take more than 8 years.

Hi!

thanx!

First get your citizenship, THEN worry about migrating other family members.

For parents it will be done in under a year, for siblings 10 years as they're in Europe and not Phillipines, Mexico or China.

It takes a long time as the number of people who want to immigrate outnumbers the limited number of visas available.

If parents were to sponsor children:

if USC and unmarried son/daughter - wait time 6 years approximately

if parents LPR and unmarried son/daughter - wait time 8 years approximately

if parents USC and married son/daughter - wait time is 9 years approx.

Your best bet is to get citizenship and file for everyone. Parents get in first, siblings have to wait.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi!

thanx!

Yes - your looking at years for siblings if you attempt to bring them here. (fourth preference) Which country are your bringing them from?

If your parents bring them here (as lpr's) - they would have to file for them under 2B preference (if they are unmarried - if they are married, they cannot petition for them till they become USC's (which will take 5 years at least after becoming lpr's)

Each preference has different lengths of time to wait.

a1 Probably

a2 Where are they coming from?

a3 Lots of people are attempting to come to the USC - there is a line you know.

(are you an USC yet?)

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

holy ###### !!

assumed there are a lot of people getting their family etc here but....6-9 YEARS ? :S

well they are all swedish citizen, originally from iran though. dont think That would be a problem

their more green than any other swedes....

so i have 2 choices...

1. petition all at the same time

2. petition parents, & let them later bring my siblings

number 1 seems easier, but if it´s faster i dont know. but wait if I petition for all, then.hm

na best way would be petition for parents and let them petition for my siblings. cause i dont make

THAT much money to bring 5 people first of all and kokobearus wrote it takes longer time for ME to petition siblings.

i got it all right, right?

btw, ofcource nothing i can do right now.....but ofcource u need to know and plan the future...a couple of years more or less makes a lot of difference

holy ###### !!

assumed there are a lot of people getting their family etc here but....6-9 YEARS ? :S

well they are all swedish citizen, originally from iran though. dont think That would be a problem

their more green than any other swedes....

so i have 2 choices...

1. petition all at the same time

2. petition parents, & let them later bring my siblings

number 1 seems easier, but if it´s faster i dont know. but wait if I petition for all, then.hm

na best way would be petition for parents and let them petition for my siblings. cause i dont make

THAT much money to bring 5 people first of all and kokobearus wrote it takes longer time for ME to petition siblings.

i got it all right, right?

btw, ofcource nothing i can do right now.....but ofcource u need to know and plan the future...a couple of years more or less makes a lot of difference

First of all, chill - you have another 3 years before you can get citizenship and by that time you'll probably earn enough money to sponsor them. On my current salary I could sponsor 8 people without any problems, not that difficult.

Your best bet is to petition everyone at the same time. Your parents will come first and for two of them you would have to show that you can sponsor them based on your income. Sponsoring sibling comes later and by the time it's their interview time your parents could also be citizens.

If you do the math you'll see it would be longer if you had parents petition your sibling (especially if they're married) as your parents would first have to be USCs to do that - so 1 yr for parents to come, 5 years to become USC and another 8 years of wait time for siblings - total 14 years vs 10 if you petition them.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

First of all, chill - you have another 3 years before you can get citizenship and by that time you'll probably earn enough money to sponsor them. On my current salary I could sponsor 8 people without any problems, not that difficult.

Your best bet is to petition everyone at the same time. Your parents will come first and for two of them you would have to show that you can sponsor them based on your income. Sponsoring sibling comes later and by the time it's their interview time your parents could also be citizens.

If you do the math you'll see it would be longer if you had parents petition your sibling (especially if they're married) as your parents would first have to be USCs to do that - so 1 yr for parents to come, 5 years to become USC and another 8 years of wait time for siblings - total 14 years vs 10 if you petition them.

to petition for one person, dont u have to have at least $18.000/ year? and to petition for 2 people $36.000/year?

k so if i petition for all of them....parents would be here within a year, and siblings Around 10 years from the day i petition for all of them right?

sorry for all the q's...just wanna make sure i get everything right =)

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

First get your citizenship, THEN worry about migrating other family members.

For parents it will be done in under a year, for siblings 10 years as they're in Europe and not Phillipines, Mexico or China.

It takes a long time as the number of people who want to immigrate outnumbers the limited number of visas available.

If parents were to sponsor children:

if USC and unmarried son/daughter - wait time 6 years approximately

if parents LPR and unmarried son/daughter - wait time 8 years approximately

if parents USC and married son/daughter - wait time is 9 years approx.

Your best bet is to get citizenship and file for everyone. Parents get in first, siblings have to wait.

Is there a reason you suggest this? My mother petitioned for me (unmarried son over 21) in 2005 on a green card and has since become a USC. She updated the case status and as of last week she's paid the aos ($70) and apparently a visa will be available for me within 9mths? That would make it 6yrs only? Based on this experience would it not just make sense to file immediately and update the case status when USC is achieved?

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I understand you want your family here with you but you have at least three more years before you can even file any paperwork. You have to be a US citizen to even start the process and in three years things may have changed. Suggest you worry about your life here and becoming established. If they have their Swedish citizenship they can come visit on the VWP.

Timeline

Is there a reason you suggest this? My mother petitioned for me (unmarried son over 21) in 2005 on a green card and has since become a USC. She updated the case status and as of last week she's paid the aos ($70) and apparently a visa will be available for me within 9mths? That would make it 6yrs only? Based on this experience would it not just make sense to file immediately and update the case status when USC is achieved?

bexta,

your case is different. LPRs can petition for single children, but to petition for parents, siblings and married children you have to be a USC.

LPR like your mom was can petition for spouses and unmarried children, under and over 21.

thanx all for ya help...

im bringing this up NOW cause...i talked to my family about it..and...for them to radically move around the globe in couple of years..well..those things it would be nice to be prepared on mentally...specially my parents.

its not like u can say "well either i move or not" since its suuuuuch a major change.

nothing is for sure..but i at least JUST want to give them the news about whats possible and AROUND how long it takes..thats all ! and as soon as i know those things i would wait towards the citicenship.

bextavaz: dont quite understand your point

belinda63: what is VWP ? u mean since they are swedish citizenship they can come and visit 3 months without needing a visa number? cause that i know is possible

aleful & milimelo: Q1. my wife´s mother, USC, migrated her 35 year old son from el salvador 5 years ago. it took him 1 year to get here PLUS his wife AND 2 kids. how is that?

Q2. So in other words it goes faster if I petition for all of them at the same time, which OH my god i have to make $18.000/year per person, my little brother planning to get married so thats another $18.000 i have to make per year for the affidavit of support..anyway, WE all agree that that´s faster than my parents (when they get here on permanent resident) petition for the children ??

Q3. Will ANY of them be able to be here in us on a visa nunmber WHILE things get done? Or maybe that will just delay things?

guys..these 3 things..only questions i need to know :) sorry to bug ya all.......

Timeline

thanx all for ya help...

im bringing this up NOW cause...i talked to my family about it..and...for them to radically move around the globe in couple of years..well..those things it would be nice to be prepared on mentally...specially my parents.

its not like u can say "well either i move or not" since its suuuuuch a major change.

nothing is for sure..but i at least JUST want to give them the news about whats possible and AROUND how long it takes..thats all ! and as soon as i know those things i would wait towards the citicenship.

bextavaz: dont quite understand your point

belinda63: what is VWP ? u mean since they are swedish citizenship they can come and visit 3 months without needing a visa number? cause that i know is possible

aleful & milimelo: Q1. my wife´s mother, USC, migrated her 35 year old son from el salvador 5 years ago. it took him 1 year to get here PLUS his wife AND 2 kids. how is that?

Q2. So in other words it goes faster if I petition for all of them at the same time, which OH my god i have to make $18.000/year per person, my little brother planning to get married so thats another $18.000 i have to make per year for the affidavit of support..anyway, WE all agree that that´s faster than my parents (when they get here on permanent resident) petition for the children ??

Q3. Will ANY of them be able to be here in us on a visa nunmber WHILE things get done? Or maybe that will just delay things?

guys..these 3 things..only questions i need to know :) sorry to bug ya all.......

Q1 That's not possible, she must have file for him years ago. The i130 only can take around 3 years or more to be approved. now the consular processing, the second part can take around 1 year, but she must have filed for him more than 5 years ago.

Q2, you can't say if it will be faster or not. remember, if your brother is going to get married, then your parents can't file for him, since residents cannot file for married children. definitly you would have to file for him.

the amount isn't $18 thousand per person, it's about $4 to 5 thousand more per person.

Q3 NO ONE is elegible to adjust in country on a VWP

of course you will be able to file for them once you become a USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.