anon

Possible visa fraud... what now?

61 posts in this topic

Anyone can get married on a tourist visa. It is legal. Just tell the truth if CO asks.

USCIS
10/01/09 :mailed I-130
10/05/09: Forwarded to CSC
10/05/09 : NOA1.
10/12/09: touched.
02/08/10: text and an email received ~ I-130 approved. (yes!)
02/09/10: touched.
02/16/2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC Journey

02/12/2010: NVC/case# assigned
02/22/2010: DS-3032 received .
02/22/2010: Sent in DS-3032 email.
02/22/2010: Received and paid AOS.
02/24/2010: AOS fee accepted/shows as paid.
02/24/2010: AOS document cover printed.
03/01/2010: IV bill available online .
03/01/2010: Paid IV bill .
03/01/2010: DS-3032 accepted by NVC.
03/09/2010: IV bill: shows as paid.
03/12/2010: AOS Packet sent.
03/16/2010: AOS Packet Delivered to NVC/ Signed by St.Laurent.
03/25/2010: AOS accepted (as per NVC operator)
04/22/2010: Mailed in ds-230 via fedex

04/23/2010: DS-230 Packet Delivered to NVC/ Singed by J.Desmond.
04/27/2010: DS-230 Received by NVC/AVR
07/01/2010: Interview - VISA APPROVED
07/08/2010: Visa in hand!
08/22/2010: POE Boston, MA.
07/06/2012: I-751 Packet sent to VT service center
07/09/2012: I-751 Packet received by VT service center Signed by Scoss
07/11/2012: Check Cashed
[
color="#0000FF]07/12/2012: NOA1 received , 03/08/2013- 10-year green card arrived.

N-400 Journey
05/28/2013: N400 sent to Tx. 05/30/2013: N400 packet received. 06/03/2013: Check cashed. 06/24/2013: Biometrics appointment. 07/01/2013: walked in for a late biometrics appointment and was successful. 07/22/2013: In line for interview scheduling. 07/23/2013: Interview has been scheduled. 08/27/2013: Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Please don't post incorrect information. It is not illegal to marry in the United States on a tourist visa and then leave. You should also not advise the OP to say anything in an interview that is not God's honest truth.

OP - Always tell the truth, if they ask if your wife had intentions to marry in the US then say yes because there is nothing wrong with that.

Good luck

hi canadian_wife iam not trying to say that op act is illegal if op married to a us citizen and intend to return back to her home country this is not the question of legal or illegal this is the question of mis commitment mis lead and mis guide to give untruthful and wrong statement at the time of op tourist visa interview when immigration officer ask op why you apply for tourist visa what purpose are you going there let suppose for example op say iam a tourist and going for a tourism and cosular officer tell op ok iam approve your tourist visa and then op going to usa and then op married to a usa citizen and after marriage return back to her home country and then op husband apply for immigration petation for her and then at the time of op cr1 immigration interview for example consular officer ask op that you mis lead mis guide us or your commitment is untruthful and your statement is full of lies at the time of your tourist interview and your statement is in our record or you trying to trick us or iam very doutful about your marriage and i think your marriage is preplanned and only purpose for green card or you are a liar iam not believe you any more let suppose op have not any solid reason to satisfy or justification of op statement of is action or and the end of op interview op ask immigration officer please tell me the result of my interview and consular officer say to op iam not recommend any visa at a time iam transfer your case for further inquiry .. my purpose is only for to inform people beprepared and ready any type of cross questioning becoz consular officer have fully right and authority to ask you any type of question please dont think only positive side think about positive and negative both side of question because we are not living in dream world we are living in reality world so please face reality of this world positive and negitive both for example if you miscommit any body every person have a right to ask why you miscommit me

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

hi canadian_wife iam not trying to say that op act is illegal if op married to a us citizen and intend to return back to her home country this is not the question of legal or illegal this is the question of mis commitment mis lead and mis guide to give untruthful and wrong statement at the time of op tourist visa interview when immigration officer ask op why you apply for tourist visa what purpose are you going there let suppose for example op say iam a tourist and going for a tourism and cosular officer tell op ok iam approve your tourist visa and then op going to usa and then op married to a usa citizen and after marriage return back to her home country and then op husband apply for immigration petation for her and then at the time of op cr1 immigration interview for example consular officer ask op that you mis lead mis guide us or your commitment is untruthful and your statement is full of lies at the time of your tourist interview and your statement is in our record or you trying to trick us or iam very doutful about your marriage and i think your marriage is preplanned and only purpose for green card or you are a liar iam not believe you any more let suppose op have not any solid reason to satisfy or justification of op statement of is action or and the end of op interview op ask immigration officer please tell me the result of my interview and consular officer say to op iam not recommend any visa at a time iam transfer your case for further inquiry .. my purpose is only for to inform people beprepared and ready any type of cross questioning becoz consular officer have fully right and authority to ask you any type of question please dont think only positive side think about positive and negative both side of question because we are not living in dream world we are living in reality world so please face reality of this world positive and negitive both for example if you miscommit any body every person have a right to ask why you miscommit me

You made a direct statement that it is illegal to marry in the US while on a tourist visa. The statement was absolutely false. People give generic answers as to the purpose of their US visits regularly. You have no idea when the tourist visa was even obtained. For all you know, the visa was obtained years before the couple even met. Leaving out mention of marriage plans when "entering" the US is no more of an issue than leaving out the intention of going to a restaurant or to Disneyland.

Please don't repeat this rubbish. It just prompts others to correct your errors. Arguing about it later is even worse.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You made a direct statement that it is illegal to marry in the US while on a tourist visa. The statement was absolutely false. People give generic answers as to the purpose of their US visits regularly. You have no idea when the tourist visa was even obtained. For all you know, the visa was obtained years before the couple even met. Leaving out mention of marriage plans when "entering" the US is no more of an issue than leaving out the intention of going to a restaurant or to Disneyland.

Please don't repeat this rubbish. It just prompts others to correct your errors. Arguing about it later is even worse.

yea you right i made a direct statement is only for that resons at the time of op tourist visa interview time when op give wrong statement to consular officer my purpose is only for tourism and your question about obtain visa year before the consular officer very well know about these kind of tricky planned for example consular officer tell op i think this is a long term planing that you obtain tourist visa and then marry to a usa citizen becoz you made statement us your purpose is only for tourism and at that time i cannot believe you any more

A tourist visa or visitor visa is for temporary visits only. It is not intended for use by people who intend to immigrate to the United States. It is okay if you plan to get married on a tourist visa in the U.S. and then go home to your own country - that means the intent to immigrate isn't there. But to enter the U.S. on said visa with the intent to get married AND stay there permanently - by getting a green card - is committing visa fraud.

Filed: Timeline

Leaving out mention of marriage plans when "entering" the US is no more of an issue than leaving out the intention of going to a restaurant or to Disneyland.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your reassuring responses. It sounds like it won't be so much of a problem, but I'm still a bit worried about what she should say if they ask directly. Imagined scenario:

Officer: Did you enter the US with the intention of getting married?

Wife: Well, he had just proposed a week before and the trip to visit him was planned for a while. I didn't really know what to say at the border, so I just told the POE officer the reason I had planned the trip.

Officer: But you did enter the country with the intention of getting married, right?

Wife: Yes

Officer: And you didn't declare this to the POE officer.

Wife: That's true

Officer: And did you plan on staying with your husband after you got married?

Wife: Of course we wanted to be together, but at that point we didn't know what we'd be allowed to do. When I bought the tickets I had planned on a three week trip, but of course after we got married I wanted to stay the entire 6-month stay allotted and we started looking for legal options of what to do next.

Do you guys think this will be sufficient? I can imagine a disgruntled interviewer pushing hard, and I just don't know what we should say. (I'll be at the interview too...)

Thanks!

Honestly I dont think it will be that much of an issue. They are leaving or left before they had an overstay and you are applying for a CR-1. Nothing wrong with that. Everything there is perfectly legal. I wouldnt get too caught up on it. Yes there will be probably be questions about getting married on a tourist visa, that is perfectly legal.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

yea you right i made a direct statement is only for that resons at the time of op tourist visa interview time when op give wrong statement to consular officer my purpose is only for tourism and your question about obtain visa year before the consular officer very well know about these kind of tricky planned for example consular officer tell op i think this is a long term planing that you obtain tourist visa and then marry to a usa citizen becoz you made statement us your purpose is only for tourism and at that time i cannot believe you any more

A tourist visa or visitor visa is for temporary visits only. It is not intended for use by people who intend to immigrate to the United States. It is okay if you plan to get married on a tourist visa in the U.S. and then go home to your own country - that means the intent to immigrate isn't there. But to enter the U.S. on said visa with the intent to get married AND stay there permanently - by getting a green card - is committing visa fraud.

Had you stated that to begin with, there would be no error to correct. Of course, the statement doesn't apply to this case in the least as the "visitor" did not "stay".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks so much, everyone, for your reassuring responses. It sounds like it won't be so much of a problem, but I'm still a bit worried about what she should say if they ask directly. Imagined scenario:

Officer: Did you enter the US with the intention of getting married?

Wife: Well, he had just proposed a week before and the trip to visit him was planned for a while. I didn't really know what to say at the border, so I just told the POE officer the reason I had planned the trip.

Officer: But you did enter the country with the intention of getting married, right?

Wife: Yes

Officer: And you didn't declare this to the POE officer.

Wife: That's true

Officer: And did you plan on staying with your husband after you got married?

Wife: Of course we wanted to be together, but at that point we didn't know what we'd be allowed to do. When I bought the tickets I had planned on a three week trip, but of course after we got married I wanted to stay the entire 6-month stay allotted and we started looking for legal options of what to do next.

Do you guys think this will be sufficient? I can imagine a disgruntled interviewer pushing hard, and I just don't know what we should say. (I'll be at the interview too...)

Thanks!

I would prepare a truthful but less defensive answer. Since they already know you married and left on time, there's really nothing to defend. Just tell the truth. Want is not plan.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Ok, to clear this up. I went to the states on my visitors B1/B2. I got married a week after I got there. Left the USA 179 days later (I had a 180 day stay stamped in my passport). We applied for the CR-1 and I just had my interview in February.. It NEVER even came up!!! Its normal, people do it all the time. To the OP... dont panic, dont even fret about it.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Had you stated that to begin with, there would be no error to correct. Of course, the statement doesn't apply to this case in the least as the "visitor" did not "stay".

hi pushbry i think i will give you a example for forum member here is the example as you say pushbrk in your last post and canadian wife and other member of the forum say mustafa1232 made direct statement of tourist visa about illegal or legal let supose pushbrk consider my direct statement as a worng statement and for example pushbrk think iam mislead and mis commit and mis guide people so my question is that why you take my statement so seriously and make my issue so big so in that case you member have a fully right to ask why you give us wrong statement

so my question is that all member of the forum why consular officer have no right to ask op why you give us wrong statement about your tourist visa let supose consular officer tell op iam consider your statement as a illegal or consider your statement as a visa fraud or consider your statement mislead and misguide or trick us or you commit afraud

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I married on B1/B2, left a month after and applied for CR-1.

No questions at the interview about my intentions upon entry on the tourist visa.

I do understand Mustafa's concern about tourist visa misrepresentation. If proposal happened after visa was issued, then your only concern is what she said at the POE.

It seems to me, that you two did not have firm plan - such is the marriage date and if she'll stay afterward. So I would think even if they ask about it, you could say that you were not sure about what will happen and it should be OK answer.

Ok, to clear this up. I went to the states on my visitors B1/B2. I got married a week after I got there. Left the USA 179 days later (I had a 180 day stay stamped in my passport). We applied for the CR-1 and I just had my interview in February.. It NEVER even came up!!! Its normal, people do it all the time. To the OP... dont panic, dont even fret about it.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I do not think that what you did was fraudulent. A lot of people come here in the States and get married. The only possible thing that will hinder you is if she overstayed here. She did not, so no worries :) Remember during the interview, be honest. Goodluck! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

The intention of a travel visa is a temporary visit. If you want to get married during your visit then return home before your visa expires that's okay, but a travel visa should not be used with the intention of entering the United States to marry, stay permanently and adjust status. Can you get married on a travel visa? Generally, yes. You may enter the U.S. on a travel visa, marry a U.S. citizen then return home before your visa expires. Where you run into trouble is if you enter on a travel visa with the intention of marrying and staying in the U.S.

Since your spouse left without overstay and you applied for the CR1 via the appropriate route and they did not try to Adjust Status then you have not done anything illegial.

So now, just prepare for your interview with all the proof of relationship, financial support documents etc... I would not stress about the wedding in the USA issue...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

hi pushbry i think i will give you a example for forum member here is the example as you say pushbrk in your last post and canadian wife and other member of the forum say mustafa1232 made direct statement of tourist visa about illegal or legal let supose pushbrk consider my direct statement as a worng statement and for example pushbrk think iam mislead and mis commit and mis guide people so my question is that why you take my statement so seriously and make my issue so big so in that case you member have a fully right to ask why you give us wrong statement

so my question is that all member of the forum why consular officer have no right to ask op why you give us wrong statement about your tourist visa let supose consular officer tell op iam consider your statement as a illegal or consider your statement as a visa fraud or consider your statement mislead and misguide or trick us or you commit afraud

I'm happy to answer that. I always make a big deal about false statements particularly when they are followed by advice to make up an untrue story. That's what you did. It was wrong and everybody reading the thread needs to clearly understand it was wrong.

Nobody said a Consular officer doesn't have the right to ask any question they want. When they ask, you tell the truth, not some made up lie. Marrying on a tourist visa and then leaving on time has no penalty. Lying on an immigration form or to a Consular officer carries up to a lifetime ban from entering the USA.

Please do not ever again state that it is illegal to marry in the USA on a tourist visa. It is a false statement.

Please do not ever again advise a member to lie to a Consular officer or on an immigration form. It can carry grave consequences to the member and is a violation of the VJ terms of service.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I'm happy to answer that. I always make a big deal about false statements particularly when they are followed by advice to make up an untrue story. That's what you did. It was wrong and everybody reading the thread needs to clearly understand it was wrong.

Nobody said a Consular officer doesn't have the right to ask any question they want. When they ask, you tell the truth, not some made up lie. Marrying on a tourist visa and then leaving on time has no penalty. Lying on an immigration form or to a Consular officer carries up to a lifetime ban from entering the USA.

Please do not ever again state that it is illegal to marry in the USA on a tourist visa. It is a false statement.

Please do not ever again advise a member to lie to a Consular officer or on an immigration form. It can carry grave consequences to the member and is a violation of the VJ terms of service.

iam not trying to say anybody or any person at the time of op interview that you give untruthful and lie statement to consular officer my sentence is always only for example iam always trying to aware people that why i give example to understand my point of view

where can i say if you marry on a tourist visa is illegal please dont mis code me iam only say is only that reason your case consider as a illegal if you give untruthful statement to consular officer or double cross that your purpose is only for tourism

so in that case for example let suppose op say yes iam marry to a tourist visa and i did not do any thing is illegal and after my marriage iam return back to my home country and iam doing every thing is in legal way

so in that case consular officer have a fully right and decision making authority and officer tell op last time you give us untruthful and lie statement and your last statement is on our record and this time i can not belive you any more or i dont trust you becoz of your false statement becoz given untruthful and lie statement is consider illegal or consider in visa fraud and that why iam denied your immigration visa petation and iam transfer your case to uscis for further inquiry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.