antda

Are there any negatives to US Citizenship?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

The point:

Look at both sides of the issues, both the negatives and the positives....:)

Then it will make you realize what side/position you really are in and/or take a stance to...;)

Look at the other side of the coin...

Look to see if the grass is greener on the other side...

Look at all viewpoints in life....

Then make a decision....

And be happy with whatever decision that you have made...:)

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"The US Citizenship/N-400 process costs more time and money...$675"....(even though it is optional)"

Really don't consider this a disadvantage opposed to have to carrying a green card, renewing it every ten years, maintaining a foreign passport for whatever country you want to visit, updating constantly to the USCIS your every move, and the huge expense you would encounter if your green card was lost, stolen, or mutilated. Can only list this as a negative if the alternatives are not mentioned.

"US Citizens have to file US taxes on their worldwide income"

Have to say and sure my wife and daughter will agree, even with out taxes, they are far better off than what they were in their home country.

"-US Citizens have to serve on a US jury if called for"

Odds of even being called are very low, even lower to be selected if you exhibit strong opinions on a subject. Was only called once, but turned around and came home again. The case I was called for was settled out of court.

"-US Citizens have to always travel overseas with US passports"

Again if this is opposed to being a LPR, still need that passport to travel, and coming back is much easier with a US Passport, my wife would drink to this, and more countries are open to a US passport than any other country. Its not easy to maintain a foreign passport in this country with just a few consulates, very easy to get a US passport.

"-US Citizens have to be loyal to the US only. Some other countries do not allow dual/triple citizenships. If one becomes a -Citzen, depending on the other country, they can lose that other former country's citizenship."

Key question here is do you intend to live in the USA, if you don't, really shouldn't bother with USC, and again, no country permits dual citizenship, its dual nationality. Those countries that insist on dual nationality force you to have a passport in that country, that is a major inconvenience and expense. If you don't believe me, ask me.

Latest was the oath ceremony, typically one day at most, but compared to maintaining a green card, far less expensive and inconvenient.

This of course is just our experience and as my wife put it, she is proud to be a part of this country, always felt like an outsider with that green card. Difficult to renew a drivers license and her employer had to watch her constantly, if her card expired, they could be fined $16,000.00 by the state for hiring an illegal, and you are an illegal if you let your green card expired. Even considered an illegal, if you are not carrying it with you at all times.

Wife always shows a fear when we visit her home country, can't even suggest renting a car and driving out into the country, are you crazy, there are bandits on those roads. She was already kidnapped and lucky to be alive, so that fear exists whether you are a USC or not. I am not afraid, but she sure is. Afraid to walk or drive at night, she nor my daughter do not have that constant fear living here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely a lot of discussion which depends on which country you came from. I have to say that coming from Canada...the pluses/minuses are pretty much the same. I didn;t come here from a dire situation, simply came here to be with my husband, becoming a citizen makes sense from an everyday standpoint.

I had to do jury duty in Canada, now I'll have to do it in the US (mayeb)..no biggy. I can maintain dual citizenship so I don't really lose there.... I agree with NickD's wife's comment about feeling like a bit of an outsider with a GC...be nice to be a regular old citizen again I think.

Interesting - I thought I could travel on my Cdn passport still once I become a US citizen...I certainly intend to use it entering Canada, I'll us the US one on the way back into the US....what are the rules surrounding this?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Definitely a lot of discussion which depends on which country you came from. I have to say that coming from Canada...the pluses/minuses are pretty much the same. I didn;t come here from a dire situation, simply came here to be with my husband, becoming a citizen makes sense from an everyday standpoint.

I had to do jury duty in Canada, now I'll have to do it in the US (mayeb)..no biggy. I can maintain dual citizenship so I don't really lose there.... I agree with NickD's wife's comment about feeling like a bit of an outsider with a GC...be nice to be a regular old citizen again I think.

Interesting - I thought I could travel on my Cdn passport still once I become a US citizen...I certainly intend to use it entering Canada, I'll us the US one on the way back into the US....what are the rules surrounding this?

Udella and Wiz- Lol..I kind of felt the same way too...Coming from Canada...pretty much the same, in terms of living conditions (lol..though I admit, living in Canada is a bit more expensive, but that's another story). I simply came here to be with my husband (and now my son), and to me, "family" is the main reason why I wanted to pursue US Citizenship....

I didn't want to be apart from them. And if anything happened, I know that I wouldn't be separated either...

Lol..I was called for jury duty in Canada, and maybe will someday in the USA too...No biggy, like you said, but it sure is an inconvenience (especially from Canada, where I don't live there anymore)! For some, they see it as a positive, for others, it's more of a hassle. Heck, even my USC husband got called for jury duty..(yeah, we're both 'lucky' that way...lol...), and despite him being born here and having no say in this matter...he didn't like that either.

Just out of curiousity, how was jury duty like for you in Canada? Did you like it? What was your experience?

I agree too, that another reason for US Citizenship was the feeling of "belonging" here, which yes, with a GC, I felt like in some weird way or other that I didn't belong. Lol..It sure doesn't help that the USCIS keeps on calling us immigrants "aliens", like we come from outer space or something...lol..

Gee, that's not really feeling like one belongs here, doesn't it...lol..

So now that I have US citizenship, it makes me feel like I have "family" and "belonging", and yes, that is good!

As for travelling,

To Canada: Travel with a Canadian passport and US passport/other documents. Canada officially allows dual citizenship, so there should be no problems there. Declare citizenship as "Canadian".

Back to the USA: Travel with a US passport/other documents only. Technically, the USA frowns upon dual citizenship, and only sees you as an "American" when travelling as a US Citizen. Do not declare anything else....

Travel with both passports. Use the one that is advantageous to you when travelling to another country

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Udella and Wiz- Lol..I kind of felt the same way too...Coming from Canada...pretty much the same, in terms of living conditions (lol..though I admit, living in Canada is a bit more expensive, but that's another story). I simply came here to be with my husband (and now my son), and to me, "family" is the main reason why I wanted to pursue US Citizenship....

I didn't want to be apart from them. And if anything happened, I know that I wouldn't be separated either...

Lol..I was called for jury duty in Canada, and maybe will someday in the USA too...No biggy, like you said, but it sure is an inconvenience (especially from Canada, where I don't live there anymore)! For some, they see it as a positive, for others, it's more of a hassle. Heck, even my USC husband got called for jury duty..(yeah, we're both 'lucky' that way...lol...), and despite him being born here and having no say in this matter...he didn't like that either.

Just out of curiousity, how was jury duty like for you in Canada? Did you like it? What was your experience?

I agree too, that another reason for US Citizenship was the feeling of "belonging" here, which yes, with a GC, I felt like in some weird way or other that I didn't belong. Lol..It sure doesn't help that the USCIS keeps on calling us immigrants "aliens", like we come from outer space or something...lol..

Gee, that's not really feeling like one belongs here, doesn't it...lol..

So now that I have US citizenship, it makes me feel like I have "family" and "belonging", and yes, that is good!

As for travelling,

To Canada: Travel with a Canadian passport and US passport/other documents. Canada officially allows dual citizenship, so there should be no problems there. Declare citizenship as "Canadian".

Back to the USA: Travel with a US passport/other documents only. Technically, the USA frowns upon dual citizenship, and only sees you as an "American" when travelling as a US Citizen. Do not declare anything else....

Travel with both passports. Use the one that is advantageous to you when travelling to another country

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

Are you required to maintain a Canadian passport to get into Canada since you have Canada as your place of birth in your US passport?

For years, could go into Canada and back to the USA with nothing, and that includes both driving or taking the airlines. One thing you dare not do is to pick a daisy just inches from either side of the border and try to cross with it. Just asked about firearms or alcohol, the kind you drink, not that stuff they put in your gasoline.

But am curious if your US passport does show a Canadian place of birth if you are required to maintain a Canadian passport. I do know you now require a US passport to come back in, especially with the airlines.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not but in reference to us giving neg's to living in Australia... music for one is kind of "filtered" in that we only hear the stuff that's gone commercial in the US (s'pose that could be bad or good). Stuff is EXPENSIVE! It doesn't snow over Xmas, have to admit that's pretty cool. It get crazy hot over summer. Possums are protected so even if they're in your roof you aren't allowed to kill them.. such a pain! If your neighbour wants a new fence you have to pay for 1/2 (as long as the fence NEEDS to be changed.. but even if you don't have the money, if a new fence is needed you MUST pay). You MUST enrol to vote at 18. That's bad because at 18 I didn't care, or pay attention. I know more now but then I just asked mum 'cause I didn't care. I think it should be a choice not a "must".

That's about all I can think of for now :)

I'll play LOL

*not only compulsory electoral enrollment - but, this comes with compulsory voting at all local/state/federal elections. (though as an overseas resident you have the option to be excempt from this)

*long overseas flight for a lot of travel.

*no 12 lane freeways (not sure if this is bad or good!)

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I can't think of any negatives that there might be for being a USC.

The fee for N400 processing is nothing compared to how much money we make here....they actually ask too little as far as i'm concerned

The taxes...ha! Watch Europe how they get their work checks slashed in two...My check not only is NOT slashed in two(hope it will stay that way with the Democrats in power now lol) but I get money back at the end of every year.

Jury duty is a minor inconvenience that I don't consider as a negative. One, you get to make an important decision concerning someone's life and future for for the US Government to allow us the people to put such a print that means more than you can imagine(for someone else-the one that's on trial) is not only a great privilege but a plus of being a USC. Two: it's not like you loose your job(by law).

Carrying a passport lighter than a wallet is a negative? If that passport weighed 20 pounds, perhaps i'd see a negative there. It doesn't and aside from that it gives me great joy to be able to carry it and show it when I have to. The plus of having a US Passport is much much greater than not having one at all. Ask the people that don't have one yet....see what they say about this "negative"lol

We have to be loyal only to US. Uhhhh....yeaaahhhh lol. Being a citizen is like being married. Do you consider marriage a negative thing because you have to be loyal to only one man? This is a ridiculous reason to add on the "negative" list.

And last...who the heck wants to visit Cuba? No offense to Cubans but seriously? lol I'd take US Citizenship over a Cuban government or a trip there any day lol.

The terrorist thing...c'mon...anyone who goes into a country that's at war and looks, speaks, acts differently has just as many chases to get their head detached as any American does. As for being killed by a terrorist on this land? I worry there are more chances to dye of peanut butter poisoning, obesity, heart attacks etc. than of a terrorist attack. lol

Edited by ziia

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Timeline

oh boy do some people need to get off VJ and actually get a life doing something more constructive....

VJ is not the only immigration board on the web, many of them. When I married an immigrant, first learned the USCIS was very much apart of my life and with my wife's kids, turning out to be a ten year process. Found this board to be the most helpful, sure helped us, and yes, this board has become apart of my life, about 20-30 minutes a day. And yes, we are still watching the mailbox.

We would like to think that gaining USC is the culmination of the immigration process, but you soon learn its not, so doesn't hurt to have one thread on this subject, actually there are two with some of the negative aspects in a journey.

No one is twisting your arm to either read or respond to these posts, have found immigration boards with many people like you, I just left. I like this board, if you don't, just leave.

Latest disappointment with gaining USC was when one petitions for their own son, suppose to go much quicker, but not according to the USCIS processing dates. This board is all about families, trying to stay together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you required to maintain a Canadian passport to get into Canada since you have Canada as your place of birth in your US passport?

For years, could go into Canada and back to the USA with nothing, and that includes both driving or taking the airlines. One thing you dare not do is to pick a daisy just inches from either side of the border and try to cross with it. Just asked about firearms or alcohol, the kind you drink, not that stuff they put in your gasoline.

But am curious if your US passport does show a Canadian place of birth if you are required to maintain a Canadian passport. I do know you now require a US passport to come back in, especially with the airlines.

It's a good question Nick - I'll maintain both passports...now what I did think about was...when I buy a plane ticket, do I buy it using my Cdn passport or my US (on Expedia etc...you have to input your passport # while ordering)? I would fly into Canada with my Cdn passport without issue, but when I fly back and the ticket was purchased using my Cdn passport...which do I show? On top of that I have no changed mt name in Canada because it's too much of a pain...so I have to carry my marriage cert around to prove the name change all the time folded up in it :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

It's a good question Nick - I'll maintain both passports...now what I did think about was...when I buy a plane ticket, do I buy it using my Cdn passport or my US (on Expedia etc...you have to input your passport # while ordering)? I would fly into Canada with my Cdn passport without issue, but when I fly back and the ticket was purchased using my Cdn passport...which do I show? On top of that I have no changed mt name in Canada because it's too much of a pain...so I have to carry my marriage cert around to prove the name change all the time folded up in it :)

Was fairly painless for us to register our marriage in Venezuela, wife got a new ID and passport with her married name on it. Colombia is a different story, would cost us an extra 3,000 bucks to get that done, so she will stick with her maiden name and passport. So much about different countries and their rules.

Since we deal with American airlines when traveling to either country, she only shows her foreign passport at the POE when entering or leaving. After we are at our airline desk, strictly the US passport, either coming or going.

I only have one passport.:wacko: Not fair.

Was fairly painless for us to register our marriage in Venezuela, wife got a new ID and passport with her married name on it. Colombia is a different story, would cost us an extra 3,000 bucks to get that done, so she will stick with her maiden name and passport. So much about different countries and their rules.

Since we deal with American airlines when traveling to either country, she only shows her foreign passport at the POE when entering or leaving. After we are at our airline desk, strictly the US passport, either coming or going.

I only have one passport. Not fair.

NickD-Lol..I was going to reply to this post, but forgot about it until now...Anyways..

No, I am not required to maintain a Canadian passport. Actually, the main reason why I renewed my Canadian passport was due to the I-751 green card delays. So I had no choice but to renew it, so that I could get the I-551 stamp to make my status valid. (see my vj timeline for more info). So it's kind of funny, that it was because of the USCIS that I had to renew my Canadian passport, and that opened up another can of worms...(but that's another story)...

So right now, I have my Canadian passport, for the next 4 years...

So I thought my problems would be over after I got US Citizenship, and I could get a US passport too.....

But I then run into more problems with the USCIS and DHS again....

1) They cannot issue me a passport with no birth place listed on it, from what I've read. Canada allows me to have a 'blank' as a birth country listing option. This is what I prefer, as I don't like my other birth coutnry (it's not Canada), and further complicates things when I'm travelling to Canada.

2) They want to take my original naturalization certificate (which would cost $400 and many months later for a replacement, if lost), despite applying in-person for such. Canada allows me to have my documents back right away when I apply in-person.

So to that I said no to a US passport, and for now still have my Canadian one.....

I am debating as to whether or not I will renew my Canadian passport after 2014 (when it expires)..We'll see....

So the irony of it all..Is that because of those reasons, the USA is 'forcing' me to keep a Canadian passport..... :angry:

Which is why I see that as a negative, as I don't want to keep more than 1 passport, and spend more money and hassle, when I don't really need to....

Sigh, I remember the days too, when the borders used to be less stricter...

People can come and go between Canada and the USA, with no problems...

Things sure have gotten tougher alright....

Lol..lucky you, that you only have 1 passport to worry about, and can get over borders without too many problems..

Wish it were the same way for me...Sigh...

On a funny note...It's a good thing that we live in NYS...And they offer EDLs for land travel, in lieu of US passports!

Lol.And to this day, me as a new USC, my USC husband, and my USC son still don't have US passports....

So we all decided..Not to get US passports...The DMV is the way to go instead...

I got my EDL, my husband got his EDL, and we're thinking about getting an EDL for our son..

And yes, those are acceptable for travelling to Canada too...

The US passport office lost our business..lol...

Ok, I'm done with my reply and ranting....lol..sorry....

Just thought I would explain such...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.