senzaflash

To-Do List with Lawyer

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello everyone, I am at the very beginning of the K-1 process. I am very happy to have VisaJourney in my life - I've learned so much by reading this forums and the FAQs in the past few weeks. My fiance (from Denmark) and I (USC) have decided to hire a lawyer, who we trust and who comes highly recommended.

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now. I know that many people think that retaining an attorney is a pointless expense, and while I understand that opinion, I'm happy with our decision. However, since this places a layer between us and the K-1 process, I was hoping people who have been through this, with or without a lawyer, might let me know about things that we - the USC and the K-1 beneficiary - should do / check up on during the process in addition to our lawyer's work. For example, I've seen in some of the forums that you can register on the USCIS website to track your case there - can someone link me to a description of how to do this?

I'm very interested in any advice about moving through this process with an attorney, or really any advice at all if you feel there's something that's not well covered elsewhere on the site!

Thank you, I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Lisa

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone, I am at the very beginning of the K-1 process. I am very happy to have VisaJourney in my life - I've learned so much by reading this forums and the FAQs in the past few weeks. My fiance (from Denmark) and I (USC) have decided to hire a lawyer, who we trust and who comes highly recommended.

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now. I know that many people think that retaining an attorney is a pointless expense, and while I understand that opinion, I'm happy with our decision. However, since this places a layer between us and the K-1 process, I was hoping people who have been through this, with or without a lawyer, might let me know about things that we - the USC and the K-1 beneficiary - should do / check up on during the process in addition to our lawyer's work. For example, I've seen in some of the forums that you can register on the USCIS website to track your case there - can someone link me to a description of how to do this?

I'm very interested in any advice about moving through this process with an attorney, or really any advice at all if you feel there's something that's not well covered elsewhere on the site!

Thank you, I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Lisa

USCIS.gov and go to the case status link. Unless there's a problem, all you're going to get is an email and/or text that your petition is approved.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

We have a lawyer for the AOS process. While I enjoy the piece of mind having a lawyer brings, I did find it useful to check up on the case myself. Before we filed, I was in regular communication with the lawyer to make sure that everything was put together. I signed up on the USCIS website to keep an eye on the progress. If I had any questions, I would contact both my lawyer and USCIS and usually the truth lay between what each of them told me laughing.gif

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Once you get your NOA1, you can use the WAC number found on it to register for updates through USCIS.com. The tabs are on the left for checking case status. Once your case is in the system, you can click the number and it will show your timeline of events. Just don't get married to the idea you'll get a reliable text every time something happens. It'####### or miss, although I received an email when my NOA2 was on its way.

Not going to fight with you about the lawyer thing, but may I ask why you decided on one? Is it a more complex case than most?

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Once you get your NOA1, you can use the WAC number found on it to register for updates through USCIS.com. The tabs are on the left for checking case status. Once your case is in the system, you can click the number and it will show your timeline of events. Just don't get married to the idea you'll get a reliable text every time something happens. It'####### or miss, although I received an email when my NOA2 was on its way.

Not going to fight with you about the lawyer thing, but may I ask why you decided on one? Is it a more complex case than most?

It's definitely not a more complicated case than most (at least I don't think) - neither of us has ever been married before, no kids, and we met when he was in the US on a J-1 visa, so we had about 7 months together before he had to go back to DK. Basically, our situation is that we consulted 2 attorneys to figure out what our options were, and the first one strongly suggested we plan a visa waiver marriage. We really didn't know how illegal that was then, and it was our plan until we consulted a second lawyer and found VisaJourney. I think a lot of immigration lawyers advise visa waiver marriage which is just bad - the lawyer we spoke to came highly recommended and didn't mention AT ALL that what she was suggesting was fraud. But the whole experience and the fact that we almost went through with it shook us both up a bit. We're anxious people and just want everything to go smoothly, so we've made this decision. I know we could probably do it on our own, esp with the help of VJ, but this is the decision we've made.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.