katrinacov

I-134 and I-864 Questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Question:

The I-134, it looks like it doesnt really ask too many questions about support/income. I am correct in thinking that if I dont make the 125% income level, then my dad will haev to complete the form for me? So I dont complete it...only he does?

ALSO

I was looking over the I-864 for the green card, and it states that if you need a co sponsor for the fiance, then you can use your parents IF THEY HAVE THE SAME PRINCIPAL ADDRESS AS ME? Is this true? I dont live in the same house as my dad? Is this rule the same for the I-134?

Im confused. Please help.

:unsure:

Moving this to the Embassy and Consulate forum from the K1 forum as the I-134 is handled at the consulate level.

If you need a joint sponsor, both your dad and you would fill out separate I-134 forms. London will accept joint sponsors so this is not an issue. You do not need to live at the same address with a joint sponsor, either with the I-134 or the I-864. They only need be a US citizen or permanent resident and fulfill the income/assets requirements. You also do not need to be related to the joint sponsor.

I'm sure someone will come along and expound at greater length on this topic, but those are the basics.

Edited for a clarification in terminology.

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was trying to post my answer when the mod moved your thread. :wacko:

1) NO to your first question. You both complete a form I-134. You the USC petitioner must complete an I-134 form and the joint sponsor/Dad must complete his own and separate form I-134.

2) I am not sure about the wording of the joint sponsor for the I-864 that you are reading. First, I-864 will be for AOS in a little later time. I know that while it might say the joint sponsor can be a household member that does not mean it has to be someone living in the SAME PHYSICAL house or residence. This question has been asked and misunderstood here before. It means the joint sponsor can be any person, including a non-family relation and they certainly do not need to live in the same physical house.

Good luck

Naturalization N-400

I think you've gotten good advice on the I-134 - both you and your dad will fill one out. Make sure that along with your dad's he sends a copy of proof of citizenship or permanent residence. (Photocopy of one of the following: birth certificate, Passport ID page, green card, natz. certificate etc) For London specifically, make sure that your father (and you) check that you "do intend" to provide specific contributions to the support of your fiance. London has hassled people about that check box before. The same sort of vague statements as on the example forms can be used.

For the AOS sponsorship, there is the I-864A - contract between sponsor and household member This allows people who live together to basically pool income (see question 24) to support an immigrant. If they live together, one fills out the I-864, the other the I-864A. This doesn't apply to you since you and your father do not live in the same house.

Rather, when AOS comes around, you will fill out the I-864, and not include his income, and your father will also fill out an I-864 and likewise NOT include your income - only his own, which must be enough to meet the poverty guidelines.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.