ashenflowers

Postcard Exchange!

497 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

(Reposted again..since it got lost in the previous page....)

Hi Everyone,

Ok...Let's try this again......

(Sample) "Everything you need to know about the VJ Postcard Exchange".......

1) Most important of all: Have fun! Enjoy the postcard exchange!

2) How to get started: (if you are already in the exchange, skip this step)

-E-mail VJ user "(insert co-coordinator’s name here)" at: vjpostcards@gmail.com, with the following information:

-Mailing name

-Mailing address

3) How the postcard exchange works:

-It is an exchange: You are both a sender and a receiver...Send a card, Receive a card...

-Sender: You send one (1) postcard a month. You will then get an e-mail once a month with the name/address of the person you are going to send a card to.

-Receiver: You receive one (1) postcard a month. You will receive a card from a sender.

-First week of the month/5th of the month: The drawing for the postcard names/addresses will be done on the first week of every month....

-By the 20th of the month: Postcards should be sent out on or before then, to make sure that everyone receives their cards on time by the end of the month

-You can write about anything on your postcards! Be creative!

-There are optional 'themes' as to writing ideas for the postcards....Feel free to use those, or feel free to come up with writing ideas and themes of your own too.

-At the end of the month, the sender/receiver list for the previous month will be posted, so as to keep track of things publicly and to be able to thank the sender for receiving your card

- This is an ongoing list, and you will be put on the list every month, unless otherwise notified. Therefore, it is everyone’s responsibility to inform the coordinators if you do not wish to participate in any given month, or to not participate at all.

4) Let's all play fair and fun:

-“We understand that sometimes life gets in the way and postcards do not get sent out in a timely fashion. That is okay, you can still send the postcard late. Just make sure that you send the postcard to arrive within a three months of the date that you received that particular receiver’s address”. For example, you have until April to send a card to the receiver’s address that you sent received in January. If you don’t send the card or a replacement card within three months, then it will be treated as strike.

-The 'three strikes rule': Play fair! Send a card, Receive a card...

If as a sender you do not send your card for three months to three different people in the exchange...

First and Second non-sent cards: You will be warned privately....

Third non-sent card: You will be permanently out of the exchange....

This is to ensure that everyone receives their cards is responsible and fully participating in the exchange....

5) 'I did not receive my card, what should I do?'

-First of all, private message (PM) your sender as to why you didn't receive your card....

“Traveling time depends on the postal system of the respective countries so while some postcards may arrive in 5 days, it is as common that postcards take over 30 days to arrive. If it has been well over 30 days, we advise you to contact the recipient of your postcard through private message and ask whether the postcard has arrived.”

-A replacement card should be sent by the sender to the receiver for any non-received cards. It is the responsibility of the sender to make sure that the receiver gets their card and send replacement cards accordingly....

-If that doesn't work...Then e-mail the exchange co-coordinator.....Then further appropriate action can be taken...

6) Privacy/Safety Issues:

-All address, names, and/or any other identifying or contact information will be kept confidential and in private, to be shared only amongst the participants and only used for the purposes of this VJ Postcard Exchange. We will not be held responsible for anything that may occur as a result of its use or misuse.

And that's it... That wasn't too hard, to have for the VJ postcard exchange, now was it?

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks. Ant. :) I think you are the new co-ordinator!

I like the idea of Autumn Colour - it is probably easier to find postcards like that than back to school :yes: .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Um Canadian thanksgiving could be the theme for october since that's the only way i'll really get one!!!

What a great idea for a theme, Usmcwife! :)

Thanksgiving....(or giving thanks, being thankful, etc...)

Ok...So here are the choices of themes for September/October..

1) Thanksgiving....

2) Fall colours...

3) Back to school/Back to work...

4) Or choose a theme of your own....

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Hmmm...I was thinking too..We can have more than one theme to choose from..So people can just pick and choose as to which theme they want to go with....Or choose one of their own....

Nevertheless...Happy Postcarding...for September/October!

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

This is my thought too. I was considering joining when I first read about it when I joined VJ. But the more I read, the less interested I am. It is a great idea, should be something that is carefree and enjoyable for everyone. It's a postcard exchange. It shouldn't have a huge, long list of rules and regulations. I don't want to be stressed if I happen to miss a month or two because life gets in the way.

Ditto, I wanted to join once I have more money and can get into it but... I actually find it all a bit insulting and I'm not even in it! It sounds like people are being accused, without fact, of not sending things on purpose, and to me that seems just hurtful. Reading back I saw a couple people were late due to real life stuff (like a wedding) and I'm sure a couple ones may have gotten lost in the mail but it really didn't seem like its a HUGE issue as its being made to seem. Also, giving people 3 months to send their cards is basically like them resending the ones now that go missing, so I don't see how this is going to help anything. Unfortunately on my end, I can't see myself joining in this awesome activity when the risk of being accused of being negligent because of real life situations is there. It would be fun, but only till I get lectured at for sending my card out late, and then I'd be pretty upset.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Thanks. Ant. :) I think you are the new co-ordinator!

I like the idea of Autumn Colour - it is probably easier to find postcards like that than back to school :yes: .

Lol...Kathryn..I guess so...Unless someone else speaks up/posts soon...lol...

I'll PM Ashenflowers this week....

And figure out the coordination...

Hopefully I can get it going by october (at latest) or mid-september (at earliest)

So stay tuned for updates via this message thread and/or e-mail for further details!

And yes, autumn colours theme is an interesting one too, as the fall colours are so vibrant and bright....

orange, yellow, red, white, postcards, oh my!

Either way, having multiple themes is a 'new twist' to postcarding...Lots of ideas to pick and choose from!

And yes, to everyone...Feel free to suggest themes too...Anything goes!

Ant

Coconuts and Danu-

Well, it is your choice if you both decide to join or not to join, as the postcard exchange is optional...

As for the postcard exchange, yes, it is supposed to be "fair, fun, and safe" for everyone...

The guidelines that I posted in my previous post is pretty much it in terms of rules and regulations...

They are pretty simple, and as I said before,

You (or anyone else) shouldn't have any problems and/or lectures if you send and receive your cards within a reasonable amount of time (three months).

I understand that life gets in the way, and things do get lost in the mail...

Which is why there is that three months timeframe, in which is a reasonable time to get it sorted out, if that happens..

First through PM to the sender, and then through the co-ordinators if it gets out of hand....

Also, by resending the ones that go missing makes up for the lost/missing cards shows responsibility from the sender to want to make it up to the receiver for that lost card and that it shows how the sender cares for the receiver in truly wanting to be in the exchange....

It's good when people send and receive cards...But it's not good when people don't...Which is why these guidelines are in place, to make sure that everyone receives and sends their cards....

Ant

This is my thought too. I was considering joining when I first read about it when I joined VJ. But the more I read, the less interested I am. It is a great idea, should be something that is carefree and enjoyable for everyone. It's a postcard exchange. It shouldn't have a huge, long list of rules and regulations. I don't want to be stressed if I happen to miss a month or two because life gets in the way.

Ditto, I wanted to join once I have more money and can get into it but... I actually find it all a bit insulting and I'm not even in it! It sounds like people are being accused, without fact, of not sending things on purpose, and to me that seems just hurtful. Reading back I saw a couple people were late due to real life stuff (like a wedding) and I'm sure a couple ones may have gotten lost in the mail but it really didn't seem like its a HUGE issue as its being made to seem. Also, giving people 3 months to send their cards is basically like them resending the ones now that go missing, so I don't see how this is going to help anything. Unfortunately on my end, I can't see myself joining in this awesome activity when the risk of being accused of being negligent because of real life situations is there. It would be fun, but only till I get lectured at for sending my card out late, and then I'd be pretty upset.

No matter how many guidelines you put in place, life happens. People shouldn't be made to feel guilty about that.

(Reposted again.....edited section 4) ...to make things a bit clearer, regarding that three strikes rule...)

Hi Everyone,

Ok...Let's try this again......

(Sample) "Everything you need to know about the VJ Postcard Exchange".......

1) Most important of all: Have fun! Enjoy the postcard exchange!

2) How to get started: (if you are already in the exchange, skip this step)

-E-mail VJ user "(insert co-coordinator’s name here)" at: vjpostcards@gmail.com, with the following information:

-Mailing name

-Mailing address

3) How the postcard exchange works:

-It is an exchange: You are both a sender and a receiver...Send a card, Receive a card...

-Sender: You send one (1) postcard a month. You will then get an e-mail once a month with the name/address of the person you are going to send a card to.

-Receiver: You receive one (1) postcard a month. You will receive a card from a sender.

-First week of the month/5th of the month: The drawing for the postcard names/addresses will be done on the first week of every month....

-By the 20th of the month: Postcards should be sent out on or before then, to make sure that everyone receives their cards on time by the end of the month

-You can write about anything on your postcards! Be creative!

-There are optional 'themes' as to writing ideas for the postcards....Feel free to use those, or feel free to come up with writing ideas and themes of your own too.

-At the end of the month, the sender/receiver list for the previous month will be posted, so as to keep track of things publicly and to be able to thank the sender for receiving your card

- This is an ongoing list, and you will be put on the list every month, unless otherwise notified. Therefore, it is everyone’s responsibility to inform the coordinators if you do not wish to participate in any given month, or to not participate at all.

4) Play fair! Send a card, Receive a card:

-“We understand that sometimes life gets in the way and postcards do not get sent out in a timely fashion. That is okay, you can still send the postcard late. Just make sure that you send the postcard to arrive within a three months of the date that you received that particular receiver’s address”.

-For example, you have until April to send a card to the receiver’s address that you sent received in January.

-If you don’t send the card or a replacement card to the intended receiver within three months, then it will be treated as strike.

-The 'three strikes rule':

First non-sent card: You will be notified/reminded privately....

Second non-sent card: You will be warned privately and asked if you want to continue to participate...

Third non-sent card: You will be permanently out of the exchange....

This rule is to ensure that everyone receives their cards is responsible and fully participating in the exchange....

5) 'I did not receive my card, what should I do?':

-First of all, private message (PM) your sender as to why you didn't receive your card....

“Traveling time depends on the postal system of the respective countries so while some postcards may arrive in 5 days, it is as common that postcards take over 30 days to arrive. If it has been well over 30 days, we advise you to contact the recipient of your postcard through private message and ask whether the postcard has arrived.”

-A replacement card should be sent by the sender to the receiver for any non-received cards. It is the responsibility of the sender to make sure that the receiver gets their card and send replacement cards accordingly....

-If that doesn't work...Then e-mail the exchange co-coordinator.....Then further appropriate action can be taken...

6) Privacy/Safety Issues:

-All address, names, and/or any other identifying or contact information will be kept confidential and in private, to be shared only amongst the participants and only used for the purposes of this VJ Postcard Exchange. We will not be held responsible for anything that may occur as a result of its use or misuse.

Ant

P.S. And that's it...That is all that I have to say about the postcard exchange rules and guidelines. If everyone plays by these, then we shouldn't have any problems in the exchange....

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

No matter how many guidelines you put in place, life happens. People shouldn't be made to feel guilty about that.

Life happens...ok...

And if a person isn't doing anything wrong by sending and receiving their cards within a reasonable period of time, and are playing by these simple rules, or if they drop out because life gets in the way and/or they have other obligations, then they shouldn't feel guilty...:)

I don't feel guilty for pushing out those who don't send their cards, don't care about the exchange, don't play by the rules, and don't want to participate....These people should go..

I feel guilty for those who want to particiapte, make this postcard exchange a priority, and who follow the rules, but aren't fully able to enjoy the process because others were not responsible enough to send their cards...These people should stay....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Life happens...ok...

And if a person isn't doing anything wrong by sending and receiving their cards within a reasonable period of time, and are playing by these simple rules, or if they drop out because life gets in the way, then they shouldn't feel guilty...:)

I don't feel guilty for pushing out those who don't send their cards, don't care about the exchange, don't play by the rules, and don't want to participate....

I feel guilty for those who want to particiapte, make this postcard exchange a priority, and who follow the rules, but aren't fully able to enjoy the process because others were not responsible enough to send their cards...

Ant

See, that's the thing. That's the part that makes me, and apparently others, want to stay away from this exchange: "Others were not responsible enough to send their cards" ... there could be a million reasons why a card doesn't get sent out and I doubt one of them is irresponsibility or not caring about the exchange. I wish you the best of luck in this exchange, but it's not something I see myself participating in. This exchange shouldn't feel like a job or a chore, but the way you are voicing your opinions is making it seem like one.

Timeline

Our proposed themes seem kind of specific as for postcards (unless you make your own). My suggestion, in keeping with the autumn and Thanksgiving idea, is simply "trees." I think it'd be easier to find a postcard with trees than it is to find anything to do with Thanksgiving.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Our proposed themes seem kind of specific as for postcards (unless you make your own). My suggestion, in keeping with the autumn and Thanksgiving idea, is simply "trees." I think it'd be easier to find a postcard with trees than it is to find anything to do with Thanksgiving.

JlovesA-I like the "trees" theme too!..

And it would be great too, to see what types of trees are on the postcards for this month!

Lol..I predict some orange, yellow, red, etc. fall coloured tress for these postcards...

Ok...So for now, here are the themes for September/October....(listed in alphabetical order....)

-Autumn colours

-Back to school

-Thanksgiving

-Trees

-Other: Choose your own theme....

Well, it looks like we are all going to have quite the variety of postcards, indeed!

Stay tuned for updates...

See you all in the exchange for September/October!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

See, that's the thing. That's the part that makes me, and apparently others, want to stay away from this exchange: "Others were not responsible enough to send their cards" ... there could be a million reasons why a card doesn't get sent out and I doubt one of them is irresponsibility or not caring about the exchange. I wish you the best of luck in this exchange, but it's not something I see myself participating in. This exchange shouldn't feel like a job or a chore, but the way you are voicing your opinions is making it seem like one.

Again, if you or anyone else doesn't want to participate...fine....

As this postcard exchange is optional...

Yes, life does get in the way..

But that doesn't mean that one can't be responsible..

For example....

I received a postcard that was late, but the sender was kind enough to tell me privately beforehand that they were moving and I understood that...And yes, I was happy to receive their postcard later than usual, regardless..

But I had also another sender that didn't send me a postcard at all, and I have no clue as to why they didn't send their card. There were no responses and explainations whatsoever from them, despite trying to contact them privately, as to what happened to to that card....I was not happy with that sender and I'm still waiting for that postcard....

So as you can see from the above example, one sender was responsible, one wasn't....

The sender that was responsible...Should be in the exchange.....

The sender that wasn't responsible....Should not be in the exchange if they keep on doing this numerous times to others....

As for the exchange being a chore and/or job....

Well, to me it isn't.....:)

And to others to send their postcards and have no problems with sending their cards...

It might not be a chore to them either....:)

And if it feels like a job and/or a chore to anyone, then it's because they are making it a chore by acting like it is a big effort to send out a postcard..

Really, it only takes a few minutes to write and send out a postcard....

Lol...The time it takes me to reply to this post and other posts in disagreement...I could have sent a postcard instead, oh well......:lol:

Ok... :ot2: ...Let's get the postcard exchange going again for September/October....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Timeline

I was just mearly bringing it up because one of your posts was concerned about people not wanting to join or dropping out because of not receiving a postcard, I thought you might like to know as well that the accusitory way your posts are coming across is doing the same thing, and making people feel that they don't want to join something that did sound fun. I understand your concern, and I do know its a voluntary thing, but it might be a good idea to keep in mind that some people are feeling this way (and you have now lost one member) because of the way you are approaching this subject, which is what you were trying to avoid happening.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know what ant is trying to say all about the people :), but I do get what the danu and coconut are saying. I am here to stay and the Guidelines per say have been said a few times now. Lets just let it be and continue on with our fun postcarding :) The Themes seem great. although My postacard is my dog so I will be doing my own theme this time hehe

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.