MrStrain14

I-134 - USC Just graduated, Temp Job...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

We just got our NOA2 yesterday, so that's one stage done - in the words of Jay-Z, 'on to the next one'!

As far as the I-134 goes, my fiancee Simone is the USC, graduated from college May 09 (Cal, Go Bears!), and after visiting me during the summer she returned home & started a part time job at the GAP for a couple of months. In December, she took a Full-Time Temp-to-Perm position with Wells Fargo earning around $600 a week before taxes.

Now, her earnings mean she meets the required poverty levels etc, however because she is still techinically a Temporary Worker and has only been working full-time since December, I wondered whether this might be a negative. She also doesn't have any form of Tax Return information from previous years.

So, opinions please - will we be ok with just Simone's I-134, or should we get a co-sponsor to be safe? I have searched pages and pages on the forums but nothing seems to fit our situation properly....so many thanks for everyone's patience, especially if information is being repeated from previous posts.

See Profile for full K-1 timeline...summary:

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

17 Jun 2010 - Interview...APPROVED!

17 Jul 2010 - LHR to ATL. POE: JFK

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

23 Oct 2010 - Filed for AOS, EAD & AP

29 Mar 2011 - APPROVED!!! (2 NOAs for medical info)

04 Apr 2011 - GC In Hand.

Temp job? Get a co-sponsor.

If she can get a letter from the employer stating it's a "permanent" job - and she meets the required poverty level, then you will not need a co-sponsor.

It's really up to the embassy if they will accept the co-sponsor, or the temp to perm job.

(they look for long term support)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Temp job? Get a co-sponsor.

If she can get a letter from the employer stating it's a "permanent" job - and she meets the required poverty level, then you will not need a co-sponsor.

It's really up to the embassy if they will accept the co-sponsor, or the temp to perm job.

(they look for long term support)

Ok, good to hear it from someone else too, because my instinct tells me it would be wise to get a co-sponsor, so thanks for your thoughts. It's supposed to become a perm job after a few months, so maybe she can talk to them and get an idea of when that might be. Even if she does become permanent right away, for example, do you think it's still wise to get a co-sponsor? You mention we won't need to, but I'm simply thinking of the short length of service as a permanent employee.

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

Like they teach in the CIA - "when there is a doubt, there is no doubt"

If you doubt your income/job will suffice, get a co-sponsor lined up, "just in case"

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Ugh, I had this whole nice reply typed out and then wiped it by hitting the wrong button.

Here's the highlights.

- Agree: She may be permanent by the time you interview (in about 2 months) so this may be a moot point.

- Agree: Line up a cosponsor to hold in reserve if she is still temp. You don't have to turn in the papers for the cosponsor at the interview, but if they say they need more financial information, you can present it immediately at that time.

- Additional comment: Check out the 2010 London interview thread in the UK regional subforum. We tried to capture on the first page all the "quirks" for London and the slight differences in the forms and such.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Like they teach in the CIA - "when there is a doubt, there is no doubt"

If you doubt your income/job will suffice, get a co-sponsor lined up, "just in case"

Thankyou, Agent Bobby+Umit! :)

Always better to be over-prepared, methinks. Thanks again.

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Ugh, I had this whole nice reply typed out and then wiped it by hitting the wrong button.

Here's the highlights.

- Agree: She may be permanent by the time you interview (in about 2 months) so this may be a moot point.

- Agree: Line up a cosponsor to hold in reserve if she is still temp. You don't have to turn in the papers for the cosponsor at the interview, but if they say they need more financial information, you can present it immediately at that time.

- Additional comment: Check out the 2010 London interview thread in the UK regional subforum. We tried to capture on the first page all the "quirks" for London and the slight differences in the forms and such.

Oh no, I hate it when that happens! Well, rest assured I appreciate the effort and the advice. We're going to go down the co-sponsor route just in case, so that we're as fully prepared as possible. I'll go and check out the London interview thread, cheers for the heads-up.

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Oh no, I hate it when that happens! Well, rest assured I appreciate the effort and the advice. We're going to go down the co-sponsor route just in case, so that we're as fully prepared as possible. I'll go and check out the London interview thread, cheers for the heads-up.

Okay, so an update: Simone just got made permanent! She starts a permanent job Monday, and is well over the required 125%.

Thanks again guys for your input, it really is appreciated and makes this whole process a lot easier.

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

One less bump in the road. I bet you guys are thrilled! Congrats to your fiancee about the job upgrade. :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

One less bump in the road. I bet you guys are thrilled! Congrats to your fiancee about the job upgrade. :)

Thank you! We are really, really pleased. Congrats to you too - notice you got your GC last week. Nice one!

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.