Tater&Bugger

Marry and apply for the AOS?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been reading tons on this site and have noticed several members mention that if you are in the US and married you can file for the AOS... and more or less bypass some steps. What is stopping us from getting married and applying for the AOS while I am still there? It just makes too much sense, so it cannot be right. My man is home in May and will have 45 days leave, which we intend on spending together... if we are going through this petition and etc... I may not be able to see him, after we've just spent over half a year apart due to deployment.

I am working on a contract w/ CFPSA overseas and am home in April. My worry is that since I am not working nor do I have a permanent address or legal ties to Canada when I get back that they won't let me into the country once this process starts.

side question... why does my profile picture never pop up? What the eff! haha.

Thanks.

T

Edited by Tater

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have been reading tons on this site and have noticed several members mention that if you are in the US and married you can file for the AOS... and more or less bypass some steps. What is stopping us from getting married and applying for the AOS while I am still there? It just makes too much sense, so it cannot be right. My man is home in May and will have 45 days leave, which we intend on spending together... if we are going through this petition and etc... I may not be able to see him, after we've just spent over half a year apart due to deployment.

I am working on a contract w/ CFPSA overseas and am home in April. My worry is that since I am not working nor do I have a permanent address or legal ties to Canada when I get back that they won't let me into the country once this process starts.

As you are not currently in the US this isn't an option for you. You are now talking about INTENDING to immigrate on a Tourist visa which is immigration FRAUD. It is against the TOS for us to advise you about this.

Getting married in the US is perfectly legal, however entering the US with intent to marry AND AOS is fraud.

I will however advise you of the con's of doing it this way.

1. You will need to wait until you get there where with a fiance visa you can apply right now and have it in around 6 months

2. If you apply in this manner and are denied AOS you will have no means to appeal the decision. You will need to return to Canada and start a spousal visa

3. If you were to mention at the border your intent to immigrate you will be denied entry. Failing to mention your intent is fraud.

4. You are not able to work or LEAVE the US once the process is started. You need to wait for AOS to be complete which can take around 3 months, sometimes more.

5. You won't be able to get a US drivers licence. Without your husband in the country, how are you going to get around?

6. Where are you going to live? How are you going to support yourself? You'll be in a country by yourself without means to get around, or to work.

Personally, I would get married while you are visiting him and then return home to process a CR-1 visa. You will be stuck in the US once the AOS process is started. He will need to attend your immigration interview with you which will not occur in the 45 days he is home.

The CR-1 seems like the only option for you, or the K1 if you want to get started now. You are still able to visit while the K1 is processing. Good luck with your decision.

This is the wrong location for this post. Moving ---

** moving from "Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports" to "Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America" as you haven't decided which path you're taking yet**

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.