5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi to all.

my AOS application was approved and im now waiting for my card. just want to ask, when i get my green card, do i need to bring my SS card back to remove the conditions? thanks in advance.

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

------------------------------------

12Apr06--received SSN

19Apr06-- filed AOS

01May06--filed EAD

05May06--biometrics AOS

20May06--biometrics EAD

26May06-- recv request for addtnl evidence

01Jun06--sent docs for RFE

28Jun06--received mail transfer notice MSC to CSC

06Jul06--case was rcvd by CSC

08Jul06 -- AOS touched

12Jul06--AOS touched

13Jul06--AOS touched

26Jul06--received EAD card woohooo! :)

28Jul06--AOS touched

29Jul06--AOS approved via email without interview :)

4aug06--received welcome notice & green card :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on such an easy process!good question? Let me know cause my husband got his his green card in July and I never thought about the conditions stated on the SS card. " Not without DHS authorization" or do companies just ignore that now?

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After I got my GC, I just went back to the SSA office and requested a new card (your number stays the same) without the notation on it.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
After I got my GC, I just went back to the SSA office and requested a new card (your number stays the same) without the notation on it.

hi raymaga..what docs did u present when u reqstd for a new card? did u fill up their form again? thanks a lot.

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

------------------------------------

12Apr06--received SSN

19Apr06-- filed AOS

01May06--filed EAD

05May06--biometrics AOS

20May06--biometrics EAD

26May06-- recv request for addtnl evidence

01Jun06--sent docs for RFE

28Jun06--received mail transfer notice MSC to CSC

06Jul06--case was rcvd by CSC

08Jul06 -- AOS touched

12Jul06--AOS touched

13Jul06--AOS touched

26Jul06--received EAD card woohooo! :)

28Jul06--AOS touched

29Jul06--AOS approved via email without interview :)

4aug06--received welcome notice & green card :)

Filed: Timeline

When an individual was previously issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS (or DHS) AUTHORIZATION” printed on it and has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence of identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

Employment Authorization Documents:

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

Documents that establish lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR)

-- I-551 card

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency.

-- Temporary I-551

Temporary evidence of immigrant status is issued for an alien to use

until the permanent I-551 card is received. This may be a stamp in the individual's passport or on the I-94.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card,” is the appropriate form to request a replacement card.

Form SS-5 can be requested by calling the SSA toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or download from the SSA Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

Complete the Form SS-5 and take it along with the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an original SSN or replacement SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

DO NOT DO NOT give them your old card until you get the new one

Seems SSA has removed it from their Website, but it's still valid.

RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.