topshopgirl

Getting married while in the US on a tourist visa

43 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I successfully navigated my own immigration from the UK on a fiancee visa a few years ago (thanks to this forum for lots of help!). Now my sister in law wants to marry her french boyfriend, and I can't remember any of the rules.

He is here on a tourist visa, and they're planning a quick wedding. Then he'll stay here and is planning to apply for permission to work. My questions are:

Why don't more people do it this way? This is surely more straightforward than applying for a fiancee visa or a spousal visa, so there must be a reason most of us fill in all that crazy paperwork!

How long does the EAD take these days?

Any other advice?

Thanks so much in advance!

- Helen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

certainly not a Fiance(e) visa question... moving to General discussion forum

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

He is here on a tourist visa, and they're planning a quick wedding. Then he'll stay here and is planning to apply for permission to work. My questions are:

Why don't more people do it this way?

Because this may be a short-thinking way of circumventing US Immigration Law(s). By entering on a visa or VWP, a person is agreeing to (or implying) their intent NOT to remain past the authorized date. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it - that should be a big clue.

Since apparently they are already both in the US - they may follow this Guide but should definitely check out the Be Warned section and do some other research to be clear about what it is they are attempting.

Very few people are busted for having showed intent to marry while entering the US and marry and adjust status.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
Very few people are busted for having showed intent to marry while entering the US and marry and adjust status.

Can I ask how you can make a statement like that? Do you have statistics that support that not many people get busted entering on VWP with intent to marry?

Maybe many people on this site have successfully done this, however this site is a small percentage of the cases that go through USCIS, and you have no idea how many people actually get caught. One slip up during the interview or in the paperwork, and it would all be over. Please don't encourage people to circumvent the process cause in your opinion very few people get busted.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I didn't do it this way because of the visa fraud issue. Me and my girl decided to be apart for a few months instead of possibly incurring a lifetime ban. Wish you luck with whichever route you decide to take.

03-09-2010-Mailed I-129F

03-11-2010-packet received in vermont

03-12-2010-NOA1 sent(USCIS WEB SITE)

03-15-2010-Check Cashed

03-16-2010-Touched

03-17-2010-Touched

03-18-2010-NOA1 Hardcopy Received

05-25-2010-NOA2 APPROVAL E-MAIL!!!

06-01-2010-NOA2 Hardcopy Received

Filed: Other Timeline

Hogwash. If they did not INTENT to get married AND adjust for AOS beforehand it's PERFECTLY legal. suitable, and a smart way to go at it, which is why the immigration law is specifically set up for this.

You guys try to prove their intent, and I tell you you can't. Neither can USCIS, which is why intent doesn't become an issue at AOS unless the couple leaves a paper trail of fraud.

Like it or not, it doesn't matter. Tourists who get married can adjust status just fine and without problems.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your premise is wrong, most adjustments are from non marriage visa's.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I PM'd you (before the site got all fancy and the PM system was working!)

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nothing prevents you from getting married while on a tourist visa (one can get married here and leave, and that's perfectly legal), but coming on a tourist visa with intention to stay is considered illegal, and even if people get away with it it's against TOS rules of VJ to give advice in committing fraud.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Anyway, after marriage the citizen can file an I-130 petition and simultaneously, the "alien" can apply for AOS (green card)alond with the EAD, along with the sponsor's papers. It takes nearly 90 days to get the EAD, if all the paperwork is filed correctly. With the EAD in hand, the applicant can get a Social Security number and usually also qualify for a state ID and driver's license.

When it comes time for the AOS interview, they'll both have to explain why the spouse didn't just go back to France after the wedding, and wait as per the immigration laws.

He is here on a tourist visa, and they're planning a quick wedding. Then he'll stay here and is planning to apply for permission to work.

Well, they won't give him 'permission to work' unless he also decides to adjust his status from tourist to permanent resident.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I successfully navigated my own immigration from the UK on a fiancee visa a few years ago (thanks to this forum for lots of help!). Now my sister in law wants to marry her french boyfriend, and I can't remember any of the rules.

He is here on a tourist visa, and they're planning a quick wedding. Then he'll stay here and is planning to apply for permission to work.

Did he enter the US on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married to your sister-in-law or did they decide to get married after he arrived? That is the key bit of information. If they decided to get married after he arrived then he is allowed to get married and apply to adjust his status from non-immigrant to permanent resident without leaving the US. If, however, he entered the US on a visitor's visa with the intent of getting married and staying in the US to adjust status, that is illegal. It is called visa fraud - intentionally using a visa issued for one purpose -a temporary visit - for a totally different purpose that requires a separate type of visa - immigration. It carries pretty stiff penalties if USCIS determines he intended to get married and adjust status before he arrived to the US.

My questions are:

Why don't more people do it this way? This is surely more straightforward than applying for a fiancee visa or a spousal visa, so there must be a reason most of us fill in all that crazy paperwork!

Yes, the reason is what I mentioned above - intentionally planning to use a visa issued for one purpose for a totally different purpose for which a separate visa exists is considered visa fraud and can carry up to a life time ban on re-entering the US if USCIS also determines that the individual misrepresented the facts when he applied for the visa. The finding of misrepresentation may be made any time during the immigration process, even after the individual has become a US citizen, so it is not only an illegal route, it is also an 'uneasy' route to pursue. Having no intent of getting married and staying to adjust status when the visitor's visa is issued, however, and then undergoing a change in plans that lead to a change in immigration status is not illegal. Nor is it illegal to enter the US as a visitor with the intent to get married as long as the person leaves the US afterwards and follows the process to obtain the proper immigrant visa.

It takes about 60 to 90 days after the AOS has been submitted and approved, although that can change if there is a request for evidence (RFE) which stops work on the file until the requested evidence is received.

Any other advice?

If your sister-in-law's fiance entered the US as a visitor with the intent of getting married, then persuade them to apply for the CR-1 visa instead - or not to get married at this time and pursue a K1 both of which will necessitate him to return home at some time. Have him make sure he doesn't overstay his I-94 and incur out of status days. If there was no intent, then no problems.

- Helen

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Any other advice?

- Helen

Everyone else raises the illegal point but they're missing the worst part.

Approval for AOS can take a while. Lets say by the time they interview him it's over 180 days past his I-94 date. If they deny the visa he will be given 30 days to leave AND he will get a 3 year ban on entry. (more than 365 days past I-94 is a 10 year ban but I highly doubt it should take that long).

If he doesn't stay more than 180 days then he will still have a red flag on his file making his tourist visa attempts VERY difficult so he would need to get a spousal visa.

The fiancee and spousal visas have a means of appeal if your petition is denied, the tourist visa way does not.

if they determine (though honestly i don't think they look too hard) that you lied and MEANT to immigrate when entering on the tourist visa is a lifetime ban.

It's too big a risk. If you honestly love them and they're in a low fraud country the risk is too great when the ability to get a fiance or spousal visa is so much easier. If he leaves and gets the spousal visa then he can work while at home and save some money, and immediately on entry he'll get a greencard and be able to work.

It's a selfish thing to do it that way I think because it's about your instant gratification and not about security of your loved ones status. If you're from a high-fraud country I do understand it a bit more because the spousal and fiance visas are hard to come by but yeah... that is of course my personal opinion and opinions are what you asked for.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.