Princess_Maricar

Any tips for first timer to fly

14 posts in this topic

Hello VJ's it's my first time to fly out side the country. I need your helpful Idea..about the check in luggage?Where should i put my personal things like shampoo,is it ok in hand carry bag?Where and when i can get my check in luggage? If connecting flight,is it always go to the line and get the plane ticket or just only the itinerary?

Am really nervous....

" If we could live life all over again,we would still choose each other.If we are reborn to second life, we would marry each other again,we are persons with one heart,one soul,the same dreams and aspiration."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Check the web page of the airline you are going to use. I know American Airlines has a section(Travel Information) that will answer all the questions you have. Hope this helps and good luck

03-09-2010-Mailed I-129F

03-11-2010-packet received in vermont

03-12-2010-NOA1 sent(USCIS WEB SITE)

03-15-2010-Check Cashed

03-16-2010-Touched

03-17-2010-Touched

03-18-2010-NOA1 Hardcopy Received

05-25-2010-NOA2 APPROVAL E-MAIL!!!

06-01-2010-NOA2 Hardcopy Received

moved from K3 process and procedures to moving here and your new life in america

Only take fluids or liquids that you're going to need on the flight - you're not likely to be washing your hair. Put any shampoos etc in a plastic grocery bag, incase they get squished in the hold, the pressure can also cause liquids to leak or spurt out when you open them again, so be careful to open them in somewhere that's easy to clean.

All airlines restrict the amount of the liquid/ paste that you can take with you in your carry on. I can't remember how much it is but your airline website will tell you.

You'll need to put any liquids/ fluids in a clear plastic baggie, that they provide at the security screening point. I always keep mine separate from other items so it's easy to bag up. Don't forget to include items like mascara, lipstick/ gloss, any moisturizer you might have with you.

As a general rule for long haul flights, I don't wear make up. My skin gets really dry in the re-conditioned air, so I make sure that I use a good facial moisturizer and chapstick several times during the flight. When I get to my POE/ connecting airport, I take a little time to freshen up, and get a little more presentable for my final destination :)

Don't buy drinks to take on board with you before you've cleared security, you can buy them on the other side without needing to worry about the amount of fluid in the bottle and there's always drinks and water available on the flight. Make sure you drink a lot of water, to help you keep hydrated.

Also don't forget to leave out of your carry on anything that's sharp or likely to be confiscated, like tweezers or nail clippers.

If you have a connecting flight once you get to the US, you will need to collect your check in luggage when you have cleared immigration. So basically, you get off the flight, go through immigration, follow the signs for your baggage collection point and pick up your bags. If you'll need a luggage cart, keep a credit card or 3 dollar bills (I think it is, maybe 5) to get a cart. Then you go through customs and usually just outside, there is a drop off point for your luggage to be forwarded to your connecting flight.

If your ticket was booked all at the same time, by which I mean you didn't book each flight separately, then they usually give you both boarding passes at your first check-in. If not, then once you've dropped your bags off, you'll need to go to the check in desk for your second flight, and they'll just need to see your reservation and ID.

Good luck and enjoy :)

edit for typos

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

moved from K3 process and procedures to moving here and your new life in america

Only take fluids or liquids that you're going to need on the flight - you're not likely to be washing your hair. Put any shampoos etc in a plastic grocery bag, incase they get squished in the hold, the pressure can also cause liquids to leak or spurt out when you open them again, so be careful to open them in somewhere that's easy to clean.

All airlines restrict the amount of the liquid/ paste that you can take with you in your carry on. I can't remember how much it is but your airline website will tell you.

You'll need to put any liquids/ fluids in a clear plastic baggie, that they provide at the security screening point. I always keep mine separate from other items so it's easy to bag up. Don't forget to include items like mascara, lipstick/ gloss, any moisturizer you might have with you.

As a general rule for long haul flights, I don't wear make up. My skin gets really dry in the re-conditioned air, so I make sure that I use a good facial moisturizer and chapstick several times during the flight. When I get to my POE/ connecting airport, I take a little time to freshen up, and get a little more presentable for my final destination :)

Don't buy drinks to take on board with you before you've cleared security, you can buy them on the other side without needing to worry about the amount of fluid in the bottle and there's always drinks and water available on the flight. Make sure you drink a lot of water, to help you keep hydrated.

Also don't forget to leave out of your carry on anything that's sharp or likely to be confiscated, like tweezers or nail clippers.

If you have a connecting flight once you get to the US, you will need to collect your check in luggage when you have cleared immigration. So basically, you get off the flight, go through immigration, follow the signs for your baggage collection point and pick up your bags. If you'll need a luggage cart, keep a credit card or 3 dollar bills (I think it is, maybe 5) to get a cart. Then you go through customs and usually just outside, there is a drop off point for your luggage to be forwarded to your connecting flight.

If your ticket was booked all at the same time, by which I mean you didn't book each flight separately, then they usually give you both boarding passes at your first check-in. If not, then once you've dropped your bags off, you'll need to go to the check in desk for your second flight, and they'll just need to see your reservation and ID.

Good luck and enjoy :)

edit for typos

Thank you so much..thats really help me ease my feelings.

" If we could live life all over again,we would still choose each other.If we are reborn to second life, we would marry each other again,we are persons with one heart,one soul,the same dreams and aspiration."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello VJ's it's my first time to fly out side the country. I need your helpful Idea..about the check in luggage?Where should i put my personal things like shampoo,is it ok in hand carry bag?Where and when i can get my check in luggage? If connecting flight,is it always go to the line and get the plane ticket or just only the itinerary?

Am really nervous....

If at all possible don't carry liquids in your carry-on, you are limited as to the quantity (a small amount) and if it is too much it will be confiscated. If you want or need to have them with you then either go to the TSA or your airline website to get the specific amount you can take. I never carry them with me in carry-on so I just don't know.

My tip for a long flight - hopefully you'll be flying at night because this is better. Get your doctor to prescribe you really mild sedative to help you sleep (I have one that works just to relax me enough to sleep and it's brilliant), wear and eye-mask and earplugs. Depending on the length of the flight either go to sleep straight after they serve the meal (before if it looks inedible - any US airline I've flown unfortunately) or after watching 1 movie. When you arrive at your destination you'll get into the timezone quicker and feel less tired.

If you're travelling though the day but will arrive for the evening in the US stay up, even if you feel tired and want to sleep. Again, this will help you adjust much quicker.

I fly to HK from the UK at least once a year. I'm from NZ so I've flown NZ - UK and back quite a few times. The flight for me to the US is usually about 7 hours. I'm just telling you this so that you know that I'm experienced in these long flights and the above tips have always worked for me.

Also, don't drink the alchol they offer on the plane, it just makes jet-lag worse.

Enjoy your trip and have fun flying!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

For liquids/gels/pastes you can carry them in your hand baggage IF they are 3 oz or less in size (ie, "travel size" - so no full size bottle of shampoo, or lotion, or toothpaste. But the smallest travel size, you can carry on.) All of your liquids/gels/pastes must fit in a quart size plastic bag. This is a little larger than a sandwich bag, but not the big storage plastic bags. Most airports (though I am not sure about in the Phils....but they have them in Kenya and most airports in the US) have some plastic bags you can use if you forgot. All liquids MUST fit in this bag or you'll have to discard some or put them in your checked bag. You can only bring one bag per passenger.

I always carry at least some lotion, facial moisturizer and a small thing of toothpaste - it's a long couple of flights so it's nice to be able to brush your teeth!

Good luck! My fiance was flying for the first time coming here as well & had lots of connections - he got through it with no problems :) You'll be fine!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

A lot of good advice given here, but one other suggestion is to pack some spare clothes in your carry on in case your luggage decideds not to travel with you.

And enjoy your flight.

Dave

Am really nervous....

There are many security guards and airport employees, don't be shy to ask for assistance or directions.

Good luck and have a safe trip! :thumbs:

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

In addition to the other things mentioned already - During your flight drink lots of fluids to remain hydrated. Wear some comfortable footwear. During a long flight at high altitiude your feet may have a tendancy to swell a bit and fitted shoes can be difficult to put on upon arrival.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

A lot of good advice given here, but one other suggestion is to pack some spare clothes in your carry on in case your luggage decideds not to travel with you.

And enjoy your flight.

Dave

:yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
:yes:

One more thing to add...take a sweater or jacket with you on the plane. Sometimes the temperature on the plane can be a little cool and not all airlines provide blankets or if they do, they charge a small fee. Also, take a book, magazines, or music to listen to. Once you are on board, get comfortable and relax. Don't worry about takeoffs or landings or bumpy rides due to turbulence.

Good luck and happy traveling.

K-1 Timeline

08-10-2007 - We first met

05-08-2009 - I proposed

12-01-2009 - 129F sent

12-04-2009 - NOA-1

12-12-2009 - NOA-1 hardcopy received

03-15-2010 - NOA-2 101 days

03-17-2010 - NVC received petition

03-18-2010 - NVC sent petition to embassy

03-20-2010 - NOA-2 hardcopy received

03-25-2010 - Embassy received petition

03-25-2010 - Embassy mailed out Packet 3

04-09-2010 - Received Packet 3 in the mail

04-12-2010 - Packet 3 faxed to embassy

06-17-2010 - INTERVIEW

06-17-2010 - VISA APPROVED!!!

07-17-2010 - POE in Miami

09-25-2010 - Wedding date!

AOS Timeline

11-03-2010 - Express mailed AOS packet via USPS

11-05-2010 - Chicago Lockbox received packet

11-18-2010 - Received notice for Biometrics appointment

12-13-2010 - Biometrics appointment

12-15-2010 - Petition transferred to CSC

01-27-2011 - Received AP and EAD card in the mail

02-07-2011 - Case transferred to National Benefits Center in Missouri from CSC

02-15-2011 - Received interview letter in the mail dated for March 22nd

03-22-2011 - AOS interview date

03-22-2011 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!

03-30-2011 - Received green card in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.