klicristina

MUST READ!!! I got it :0)

20 posts in this topic

I received the best email of my life today. I got the approval of my visa, after 4 months and 3 days stuck in AP.

I want to share something with all of you guys who are in AP status.

I sent an email to the U.S Consulate in Rio de Janeiro last Sunday (March 7, 2010), stating that I intent to file a Mandamus against the Consulate.

It was a pretty big (significant) email that I told them of my intention and I talked about my case a little bit.

So, I got the approval today!

What I want to tell you guys who have been stuck in AP for a long time is that all you need to try to do something, send them an email, file a Mandamus... I dont know. If you are like me, I dont accept "WAITING" as an answer.

The Mandamus said that for a consular processing...

C. Consular Nonreviewability

If a person is seeking to compel a consular officer to process an application or petition abroad, the government likely will claim that such a claim is barred under the doctrine of consular nonreviewability. The courts generally have held that they lack authority to review consular decisions. See, e.g., Saavedra Bruno v. Albright, 197 F.3d 1153, 1159-60 (D.C. Cir. 1999).

However, the law is not firmly settled regarding the applicability of the consular nonreviewability doctrine to mandamus cases. See Ahmed v. DHS, 328 F.3d 383, 388 (7th Cir. 2003). And, in fact, the Ninth Circuit has found that it has authority to grant mandamus relief to compel a consular officer to act on a visa petition. In Patel v. Reno, 134 F.3d 929 (9th Cir. 1997), the court ordered the U.S. Consulate in Bombay, India to act on the plaintiff’s visa petition. Although the court acknowledged that "[n]ormally, a consular official’s discretionary decision to grant or deny a visa petition is not subject to review," the court found mandamus jurisdiction when the consul "fail to take an action." Id. at 931-32.

So, DONT BE AFRAID GUYS!

God love you all...

to be honest you are have an #### of a suggestion there...if you read the law it clearly states that although courts can ask the consular to make a decision but it cannot influence the decision. Imagine how would a immgiration officer would be feeling towards a person who dragged him to court made him/her fill a ton of ######, had to explain to freaking 10 different supervisors whats the delay...

dude u r threat to file Mandamus has nothing to do with you getting the visa next day. That was purely co incidental.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations! :thumbs:

Naturalization
03/18/2013 N-400 package sent
03/22/2013 NOA
03/25/2013 Check cashed
04/12/2013 Biometrics appointment

05/10/2013 In line for Interview

05/20/2013 Interview letter

06/20/2013 Interview

07/24/2013 Oath Ceremony

For my complete Timeline please see the "About Me" section on my profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USCIS

======

I-130 Sent : 2010-04-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-04-14

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-19

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-11-08

I-130 NOA2 : 2010-11-17

I-130 Approved :2010-11-17

217 Days in USCIS

--------------------

NVC

====

NVC Case# Assigned : 2010-11-26

DS-3032 : Emailed 2010-11-29

IIN# Received: 2010-11-29

AOS fee Paid (IN Process): 2010-11-29

AOS fee Paid (Cleared): 2010-12-01

AOS Package Mailed: 2010-12-01

AOS package delivered: 2010-12-02

DS-3032: Emailed again: 2010-12-02 (didn't receive confirmation for the first one)

DS-3032: Mailed hard copy 2010-12-07

DS-3032: Received email confirmation from NVC 2010-12-08

IV Fee Bill: Available Online 2010-12-09

IV Fee Bill: Paid 2010-12-10 (In-Process)

IV Fee Bill: Paid 2010-14-10 (Paid)

DS-230 : Mailed 2010-12-15

DS-230: RFE on birth Certificate 2011-01-12

DS-230: Express mailed B.Certificate 2011-01-13

So far 40 Days in NVC, still nothing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
to be honest you are have an #### of a suggestion there...if you read the law it clearly states that although courts can ask the consular to make a decision but it cannot influence the decision. Imagine how would a immgiration officer would be feeling towards a person who dragged him to court made him/her fill a ton of ######, had to explain to freaking 10 different supervisors whats the delay...

dude u r threat to file Mandamus has nothing to do with you getting the visa next day. That was purely co incidental.

I think there are way better chances that he got his visa because of the mandamus than your "coincidental" quote. your call is a really long shot.

USCIS Journey

I-130 Filed: 04-01-2009

NOA1: 04-09-2009

I-130 Approved on Nov 19, 2009

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Dec 4: wife's case was entered at NVC

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Feb 5: Interview date scheduled. Interview on March 23, 2010

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

I-212 Waiver @ USCIS Journey

May 10, 2010: Filed form I-212

Sept. 9, 2010: I-212 Approved

Embassy Journey 2.0

Sept. 22, 2010 New Interview date.

Sept 22, 2010 VISA APPROVED.

Waiting for visa to arrive at Cali-Colombia.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am glad that you have made it out of AP but that is ridiculous that you had to wait that long. I have been sending email correspondence since our interview on June 28th when they kept his passport but said that some AP was needed in our case because of my past marriage (i had filed an affidavit of support for my ex husband when he processed his greencard in the US). We just got an email confirming they are returning his passport but no mention of whether or not there will be an actual visa in it. Our interview was all about my past marriage and the man even asked for proof that I had no idea where my ex lived nor had I spoken to him in months... How in the hell do you prove that?! I had my mom write and notarize a letter which was the only possible thing I could think of and also an email from his lawyer about the accident that happened when we were together. My 7 year old daughter from my first marriage was even with us at the interview... but somehow the man still had doubts about that being a valid marriage!!! I had never been so insulted and frustrated in my life. I didn't even want to remember my first marriage let alone have it be the main topic of discussion in the interview with my FIANCEE!

They didn't even look at the three years of photos, flight itineraries etc that my fiancee and I have together... I have emailed them first saying they had no valid reason not to approve our case, and even got my senator to email inquiry (to which they sent a form letter in reply without even changing one of the names of the prior person they sent it to on the letter). I've been sending emails to the consulate on a regular basis ever since. The man said two weeks and the email reply said up to 60 days... I plan on staying on top of this. We have been waiting for an entire year for this process to come to a happy end and I refuse to allow the "SYSTEM" to destroy that. I will be keeping this "Mandamus" option in my back pocket but I hope it doesn't get to this point... what a completely defeating process just to be with the one you love.

I received the best email of my life today. I got the approval of my visa, after 4 months and 3 days stuck in AP.

I want to share something with all of you guys who are in AP status.

I sent an email to the U.S Consulate in Rio de Janeiro last Sunday (March 7, 2010), stating that I intent to file a Mandamus against the Consulate.

It was a pretty big (significant) email that I told them of my intention and I talked about my case a little bit.

So, I got the approval today!

What I want to tell you guys who have been stuck in AP for a long time is that all you need to try to do something, send them an email, file a Mandamus... I dont know. If you are like me, I dont accept "WAITING" as an answer.

The Mandamus said that for a consular processing...

C. Consular Nonreviewability

If a person is seeking to compel a consular officer to process an application or petition abroad, the government likely will claim that such a claim is barred under the doctrine of consular nonreviewability. The courts generally have held that they lack authority to review consular decisions. See, e.g., Saavedra Bruno v. Albright, 197 F.3d 1153, 1159-60 (D.C. Cir. 1999).

However, the law is not firmly settled regarding the applicability of the consular nonreviewability doctrine to mandamus cases. See Ahmed v. DHS, 328 F.3d 383, 388 (7th Cir. 2003). And, in fact, the Ninth Circuit has found that it has authority to grant mandamus relief to compel a consular officer to act on a visa petition. In Patel v. Reno, 134 F.3d 929 (9th Cir. 1997), the court ordered the U.S. Consulate in Bombay, India to act on the plaintiff’s visa petition. Although the court acknowledged that "[n]ormally, a consular official’s discretionary decision to grant or deny a visa petition is not subject to review," the court found mandamus jurisdiction when the consul "fail to take an action." Id. at 931-32.

So, DONT BE AFRAID GUYS!

God love you all...

Met in 2006 in person for the first time!
July 2008 - Relationship is official (3-4 visits per year from 1 week to 2 months at a time)
August 2010 - He proposed! Contemplate living/marrying in Brazil or US
I-129F Sent: 09/12/2010
I-129F NOA1: 10/8/2010 Called to report lack of notice of receipt.
I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy Reissued and received: 10/23/2010 (dated Sept 21st 2010)
Touched: 10/03/2010
Called USCIS: 02/23/10
Called USCIS & Senator's Office for follow-up: 03/3/10
Senator Letter received (verdict = wait 30 days more and call again): 03/07/10
Called USCIS: 03/14/10 (system updated to processing Sept 11th applications)
Called Congressman 03/29/11 - "wait 3 days for a reply..."
I-129F NOA2 E-MAIL & TEXT: 3/30/11
NOA2 Hard Copy: 4/4/11
NVC received: 4/7/11
NVC Sent: 4/14/11
Interview: 6/28/11
AP Processing: Estimate 2 weeks
Package Received: 7/9/11
Confirmation E-mail: 7/11/11
VISA received: 7/7/11

Married: 10/20/11
Filed for AOS/AP/EAD: 12/19/11
Biometrics 1/31/12

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2/15/2012
EAD Approved: 2/16/2012
EAD/AP CARD: 2/24/2012
Called USCIS re: pending AOS so many times lost count
AOS Transfer to Local office: 1/15/2013
Called USCIS & Emailed re: still pending AOS again lost count of how many times
Refiled for EAD/AP 1/18/2012
Received Receipt for EAD refiling for 1/22/2012
AOS Appointment FINALLY scheduled for 3/4/2012

Condition Permanent residency approved and valid through April 2015

Applied to Remove Conditions received 2/18/2015
Oh - What we do for love!...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.