dlg

Islamabad, Pakistan - OFF TOPIC

770 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Yuo can speak whatever language you want to if it is not at the expense of other members. I would ask as a courtesy that if you speak english please do so. If you want to hold a conversation in another language please PM each other versus doing so in the middle of a thread that was started in english. That said, please try again as a courtesy to stick to english where ever possible.

Captain....As I have stated it earlier I would say it again....sometimes you have to speak something in other languages but as long as they are not about anyone else they should be fine.....no one should be offended just because you have shared a good poem in another language.....the main reason we came to the off topic section was to make sure we are on topic in the embassy section.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Yuo can speak whatever language you want to if it is not at the expense of other members. I would ask as a courtesy that if you speak english please do so. If you want to hold a conversation in another language please PM each other versus doing so in the middle of a thread that was started in english. That said, please try again as a courtesy to stick to english where ever possible.

Captain....As I have stated it earlier I would say it again....sometimes you have to speak something in other languages but as long as they are not about anyone else they should be fine.....no one should be offended just because you have shared a good poem in another language.....the main reason we came to the off topic section was to make sure we are on topic in the embassy section.

I agree. Like I said if you need or feel the need to post in another language be sure it was done in good faith and not to hide what you were saying. I.E. please do not post in another language to insult other members. :) Poems, etc are totally ok :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I agree. Like I said if you need or feel the need to post in another language be sure it was done in good faith and not to hide what you were saying. I.E. please do not post in another language to insult other members. :)

Thank you!! I know no one ever did anyting like that or have any intensions of doing so....Thanks again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

O.K., I have to speak up in here...

I think it was ME who asked for help learning Urdu, which Psoft, Ae4ever and others kindly obliged in helping me learn more. Their poetry was/is quite a delightful way to expand my Urdu. THANK YOU.

Shon, I am SHOCKED that you don't have the desire to learn your husbands language - even a bit, but I don't want to bring up an argument with you over that - that is your own business.

For me, it's CRUCIAL to learn some Urdu. I plan on spending time there with him, living with his friends and family and speaking with them in their tongue, as well as mine. The translation pages & Urdu websites help, but there is nothing to compare with reading "colloquial" speaking by native Urdu speakers and trying to communicate that way.

I know from the travel I've done, that there are many times you just can't express yourself fully in anothers language. And I have to say it has been incredibly fun for us to develop our own English-Urdu mix together.

Anyway, this is beside the point. I thought I understood the point of the OFF-TOPIC forum was to give us a space to share NON critical information, thoughts and feelings. Perhaps I am wrong here? Sometimes a point is better said using expressions, words we just don't have, or for me, it helps me communicate better with my SO.

How often do you use a phrase such as "deja vu", "voila", or the like? These are certainly not of english origin.

None of the Urdu posting I saw was ill-intended or harmful.

If need be, I'm sure Psoft could PM all of us who are interested his poetry, but that seems ridiculous - this forum is for all of us. Ali has absolutely enjoyed me sharing my thoughts with him via Urdu poetry and I hope I can continue that, with the help of folks here.

This was meant to be my 2cents worth - it turned out to be much longer, but probably not worth any more...

I'll let it go now

07-18-2006 Mailed I-129f

07-21-2006 Arrived Nebraska Service Center, transfered to CSC

07-29-2006 NOA1 notice received in mail

09-26-2006 NOA2

10-16-2006 NVC assigns case number

10-30-2006 ISL sends out packet 3

11-06-2006 Packet 3 recieved

12-08-2006 Packet 3 returned to Embassy

01-26-2007 Called to Amex for interview date

03-13-2007 SCHEDULED FOR INTERVIEW!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I think it was ME who asked for help learning Urdu, which Psoft, Ae4ever and others kindly obliged in helping me learn more. Their poetry was/is quite a delightful way to expand my Urdu. THANK YOU.

Shon, I am SHOCKED that you don't have the desire to learn your husbands language - even a bit, but I don't want to bring up an argument with you over that - that is your own business.

For me, it's CRUCIAL to learn some Urdu. I plan on spending time there with him, living with his friends and family and speaking with them in their tongue, as well as mine. The translation pages & Urdu websites help, but there is nothing to compare with reading "colloquial" speaking by native Urdu speakers and trying to communicate that way.

I know from the travel I've done, that there are many times you just can't express yourself fully in anothers language. And I have to say it has been incredibly fun for us to develop our own English-Urdu mix together.

Anyway, this is beside the point. I thought I understood the point of the OFF-TOPIC forum was to give us a space to share NON critical information, thoughts and feelings. Perhaps I am wrong here? Sometimes a point is better said using expressions, words we just don't have, or for me, it helps me communicate better with my SO.

How often do you use a phrase such as "deja vu", "voila", or the like? These are certainly not of english origin.

If need be, I'm sure Psoft could PM all of us who are interested his poetry, but that seems ridiculous - this forum is for all of us. Ali has absolutely enjoyed me sharing my thoughts with him via Urdu poetry and I hope I can continue that, with the help of folks here.

This was meant to be my 2cents worth - it turned out to be much longer, but probably not worth any more...

I'll let it go now

:yes: :yes:

Filed: Timeline

I'll let it go now

I dont have a desire to learn Urdu. I see no need to learn it- I tried its not for me. I should not be forced to learn it. if you want to learn it is also your business.

shon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I dont have a desire to learn Urdu. I see no need to learn it- I tried its not for me. I should not be forced to learn it. if you want to learn it is also your business.

Shon, hackles down please...

Fine, it is not for you, I hear you and understand that. We all get that. No one is attempting to force you to learn it by sharing it with each other.

I'm sorry you're feeling picked on and attacked. I did not intend that. I'd like to suggest we all move forward, continuing to be supportive of each other. There is enough hate and animosity in the world, let's not have it enter here - which means each of us has to let go a bit, check our egos and try and smile a bit more!

As someone told me recently - remember, it takes fewer muscles to smile and creates less wrinkles! :lol:

07-18-2006 Mailed I-129f

07-21-2006 Arrived Nebraska Service Center, transfered to CSC

07-29-2006 NOA1 notice received in mail

09-26-2006 NOA2

10-16-2006 NVC assigns case number

10-30-2006 ISL sends out packet 3

11-06-2006 Packet 3 recieved

12-08-2006 Packet 3 returned to Embassy

01-26-2007 Called to Amex for interview date

03-13-2007 SCHEDULED FOR INTERVIEW!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

So if it is their business then why are you trying to get it banned? This IS the Islamabad topic section as well as off topic so I expect to see some urdu pop up here and there and everywhere. You are using the need for debate and discussion in English as an excuse to get your own way.

Filed: Timeline

Shon, hackles down please...

Fine, it is not for you, I hear you and understand that. We all get that. No one is attempting to force you to learn it by sharing it with each other.

I'm sorry you're feeling picked on and attacked. I did not intend that. I'd like to suggest we all move forward, continuing to be supportive of each other. There is enough hate and animosity in the world, let's not have it enter here - which means each of us has to let go a bit, check our egos and try and smile a bit more!

As someone told me recently - remember, it takes fewer muscles to smile and creates less wrinkles! :lol:

there is a diffrence between smiling and typing. Since you dont know me and you cant see me you dont

know how much I am laugh at this stupidity I am reading. infact, my office is getting a kick out of this.. :thumbs:

So if it is their business then why are you trying to get it banned? This IS the Islamabad topic section as well as off topic so I expect to see some urdu pop up here and there and everywhere. You are using the need for debate and discussion in English as an excuse to get your own way.

you dont like it ...scroll up and read what Ewok said.

your not supposed to use it to exclude members here.. :huh:

apprently Ewok saying something did not do a bit of good. ;)

btw, this made not a bit of sence..

"You are using the need for debate and discussion in English as an excuse to get your own way."

I do speak english. I have to communicate in my native tongue. :lol:

Edited by babybunny
shon.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'll let it go now

mhmm some people are just plain bossy unfortunately. Someone likes to control this thread obviously and is freaked out by not understanding everything. Gave me a good laugh as usual.

I agree completely with that you said.

Also, just because something isn't "for you" doesn't mean that it can't be for others and that they don't have a right to do what they want because one person says it's "not for me".

Good times!

you're the only one who feels excluded...

exactly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you're the only one who feels excluded...

Ewok stated what he said. scroll up if you dont rember what he said. :unsure:

What does that even mean "ewok stated what he said"?. Just curious.