• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually, they flat out DID. And that's not out of context.

For anyone curious, the thread he's referring to is here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244938

That's how you TOOK IT.

Just because someone refers to the last time something like that happened, and it so happens to be when Germany was doing it, doesn't mean Canadians are being called Nazis.

People can reference similar circumstances without it meaning what you think it means.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The writer is not referring he is comparing. In his very first paragraph he sets the stage for comparing the hype of the 1936 Berlin Games to those of Vancouver and Canadian's Patriotism at the games.

Are you so blinded by your anti Canadian attitude that you can not grasp that he's comparing all the Canadian Patriotism over the Vancouver Games on equal level to those of Nazi Germany in 1936.

Timeline
The writer is not referring he is comparing. In his very first paragraph he sets the stage for comparing the hype of the 1936 Berlin Games to those of Vancouver and Canadian's Patriotism at the games.

Are you so blinded by your anti Canadian attitude that you can not grasp that he's comparing all the Canadian Patriotism over the Vancouver Games on equal level to those of Nazi Germany in 1936.

Your argument fails the moment you try and say I have an anti-Canadian attitude. It's not the case at all.

Go Re-Read the intro. He's talking about the similarities in the games and nothing more. He's not calling Canadians Nazis....

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Your argument fails the moment you try and say I have an anti-Canadian attitude. It's not the case at all.

Go Re-Read the intro. He's talking about the similarities in the games and nothing more. He's not calling Canadians Nazis....

Here's the intro:

-- After a spirited torch relay ignited pride in every corner of the country, the Olympic Games began and quickly galvanized the nation.

Flags were everywhere. The country's national symbol hung from windows and was worn on nearly everyone's clothing.

Fervent crowds cheered every victory by the host nation.

But enough about the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

He's introducing the scene at the 1936 Olympics. Thus the closing line " But enough about the 1936 Berlin Olypics"

Then he goes on to compare the Vancouver Olypics as being on the same stage as those of Berlin in 1936.

My opinion, Yes you have a huge Anti- Canada attitude.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think anyone said he was calling Canadians Nazis :unsure:

what people have issues with is that he is comparing the Canadian games to the Nazi games... I don't think anyone would like to be compared to the Nazis...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I don't think anyone said he was calling Canadians Nazis :unsure:

what people have issues with is that he is comparing the Canadian games to the Nazi games... I don't think anyone would like to be compared to the Nazis...

The problem with situations like this, is people spend too much time being offended, they don't stop to ask the question: why?

If they would take the time to look at the actual comparison/Olympic history he's referring to, instead of acting on raw emotion, then they'd see he has a point.

1936 - Germany Swastikas everywhere - Olympic Rings not focus as usually is

2010 - Canadian Maple Leafs everywhere - Olympic Rings not focus as usually is

If you break it down, look at the scenario, then you get a much clearer picture.

Instead, it's much easier to come in, act offended, and call the person who dares to say the article writer has a point, a troll....

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

enjoying a plate of poutine and an Ice Cold Molson while reading through the posts.....

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Timeline
enjoying a plate of poutine and an Ice Cold Molson while reading through the posts.....

You can keep the Poutine (not a fan of beef gravy.. give me cream gravy please) - but I have Molson in the fridge ;)

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The writer of the article had a very obvious point he wanted to make. He tried to make it by comparing the Canadian games to the Nazi games. There were other games he could have chosen to compare with including many held in the US which were rife with American patriotism. The writer made a deliberate choice to compare the Vancouver Olympics to the 1936 Berlin Olympics knowing that everyone reading the article would make the immediate connection to Nazi. Nazi patriotism - Canada patriotism. Nazi self-centeredness - Canada self-centeredness; Nazi- evil government and evil actions; Canada - evil government and evil actions. Yes - a very American focused article with the hidden agenda of planting anti-Canadian sentiment in a US environment that has some members looking north to view how Canada has remained successful and productive while the US economy is faltering; how Canadians get universal healthcare while the US is struggling with health care reform and the Canadian system is being held out as an example. Yep - hidden agenda all over the place. Evil Canadians - they are just like the Nazis so we need to guard ourselves against any sort of connection to anything Canadian because before you know it - like the Nazis - their evil health care and economy will take over the US - unless we stop them now.

That is what that article is about - and that is why you have run into problems by posting it here in the Canada forum. The writer isn't even subtle with his comparison - he is using a sledgehammer.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
The writer of the article had a very obvious point he wanted to make. He tried to make it by comparing the Canadian games to the Nazi games. There were other games he could have chosen to compare with including many held in the US which were rife with American patriotism. The writer made a deliberate choice to compare the Vancouver Olympics to the 1936 Berlin Olympics knowing that everyone reading the article would make the immediate connection to Nazi. Nazi patriotism - Canada patriotism. Nazi self-centeredness - Canada self-centeredness; Nazi- evil government and evil actions; Canada - evil government and evil actions. Yes - a very American focused article with the hidden agenda of planting anti-Canadian sentiment in a US environment that has some members looking north to view how Canada has remained successful and productive while the US economy is faltering; how Canadians get universal healthcare while the US is struggling with health care reform and the Canadian system is being held out as an example. Yep - hidden agenda all over the place. Evil Canadians - they are just like the Nazis so we need to guard ourselves against any sort of connection to anything Canadian because before you know it - like the Nazis - their evil health care and economy will take over the US - unless we stop them now.

That is what that article is about - and that is why you have run into problems by posting it here in the Canada forum. The writer isn't even subtle with his comparison - he is using a sledgehammer.

I gave what he meant and broke it down in simple terms for people.

This is nothing 'political' as you may want to make it out to be. (which I could easily go after most everything you mentioned that you think is why he's saying it, but I won't as this is not the place for it.)

As I said and pointed out, this was NOT just an outsiders sentiment. It was an insiders sentiment as well.

His 'apology' if you want to call it that, spells it out pretty clear as well as to what many people saw, and it's truthfully honest::

___

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/01/20...message-be.html

I apologize for offending them.

As I said in the wrap-up, I certainly implied no political analogies. But some comparisons are sensitive enough to be offensive just by their very mention.

No one argues that instead of the Olympic rings, the predominant image throughout Vancouver and its venues for the past 17 days was Canada’s red maple leaf.

As chief Vancouver Olympic organizer John Furlong said at Sunday’s Closing Ceremony, “That quiet, humble national pride we were sometimes reluctant to acknowledge seemed to take to the streets, as the most beautiful kind of patriotism broke out all across our country. So many new and dazzling applications for the maple leaf.”

What passed for patriotism here in Canada, however, came across differently in the eyes of an international guest.

Unlike soccer’s World Cup, where nationalism abounds, the Olympics are meant to be a celebration of the entire world.

I was privileged to attend both previous Olympics held in Canada. In Montreal, the performances of Nadia Comaneci, Alberto Juantorena and Lasse Viren were cheered by everyone. At Calgary in 1988, the exploits of Alberto Tomba, Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards and the Jamaican bobsled team framed the story of those Games.

Sadly, I felt, in the rush to celebrate Canada’s new patriotism, some of those stories were missed here.

That doesn’t excuse me from making an insensitive comparison. But in 14 previous Olympic Games, never were the cheers for the visiting countries’ athletes drowned out so ferociously.

On the eve of the final day of these Games, I attended the team pursuit finals at the Richmond Olympic Oval. There were two medal ceremonies at the conclusion of the day’s events.

In the first, the gold medal went to the Canadian men’s team, and the Canadians in attendance cheered heartily and sang along with O Canada.

The women’s medal ceremony was next. But as the gold medals were being placed around the necks of the Germans, much of the crowd was busy filing out.

That final scene prompted the column. The comparison I used prompts me to apologize to anyone who felt offended by it.

I’ll leave Vancouver with indelible memories — many of them were of Canadians, wearing red maple leafs, having the time of their lives.

______

When you look at where he's coming from. When you look at where some Canadian bloggers are coming from, where the Montreal Gazette is coming from, and when you actually step outside the box and look at it from an outside perspective other than the internal love for your country, then you can see what was really going on.... It was the "Canadian Games" much more than it was the "Olympic Games" and that's where the criticism comes in.

I won't say anymore beyond this, unless addressed directly/questioned, because I feel its beating a dead horse that's been faltered by its own color blindness.

Take it from a guy who KNOWS arrogance better than anyone else in the world for Pete's sake. I'm a TEXAN and on top of that, a Dallas Cowboys fan. It's a double whammy. We are like the epitome of arrogance, and we know it when we see it. ;)

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

You posted something that compared it to the Nazis. What did you expect.

Link, please, or it didn't happen :whistle:

EDIT: Fixxored, link here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244938

Edited by Hopp

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
No one compared Canadians to Nazis. People 'take' things out of context/the wrong way. Nor was it I who said the reference used, I simply posted an article.

I never said it was.

wow, I read what you posted. You ARE DEFINITELY are bitter or something. Its really unfortunate. Canada is a great place. You shouldn't be so narrow minded.

Your very much anti Canadian.

09-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

10-11-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

10-13-2010 *touch*

12-09-2010 Case transferred to California Service Center

**No Biometrics letter recieved yet ( over two months waiting

12-16-2010 Biometrics done!! (NO walkin. Got an appointment letter

earlier in the week from Dallas bio office.

12-17-2010 Got email EAD being sent!

12-18-2010 Got AP in the mail!

12-22-2010 Got EAD in the mail

With Great LOVE all things are possible-Maya Angelou

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I do apologize if I have offended anyone here personally for any reason.

I tend to approach a lot of things from a sarcastic point of view a lot of times and one that also gets amused by people who get up-tight about silly little things.

No harm was meant and I'll try to do better about expressing a better opinion on things that fits better with people so they don't take it as an 'attack' but more of an 'indifference' on certain subjects.

People won't always agree on things, that's a given. Just know I'm not attacking anyone personally. I can be very critical of things and am of my own state and country as well as others.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my posts and hope all is well. :)

-Paul

"uptight about silly little things" WOW........amazing. You are very much anti Canadian yo. Take care of YO self!!

09-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

10-11-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

10-13-2010 *touch*

12-09-2010 Case transferred to California Service Center

**No Biometrics letter recieved yet ( over two months waiting

12-16-2010 Biometrics done!! (NO walkin. Got an appointment letter

earlier in the week from Dallas bio office.

12-17-2010 Got email EAD being sent!

12-18-2010 Got AP in the mail!

12-22-2010 Got EAD in the mail

With Great LOVE all things are possible-Maya Angelou

Timeline
wow, I read what you posted. You ARE DEFINITELY are bitter or something. Its really unfortunate. Canada is a great place. You shouldn't be so narrow minded.

Your very much anti Canadian.

You can think what you want, but you're completely wrong.

"uptight about silly little things" WOW........amazing. You are very much anti Canadian yo. Take care of YO self!!

Again, you're wrong, but that's fine. You think whatever makes you feel better.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.